Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    If you're looking to gear up without using the in-game pug finder, you should consider OpenRaid, where you can find guilds doing content that you can sign up for, appropriate to your gear level. The expectation is that you will get a fair shot at loot, with no obligation beyond the events that you have signed up for and been approved to attend. It's also a good way to build a friends list and make contacts for potential long term raiding guilds without screwing them over.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Let's say you just started back playing and your goal is to raid mythic.

However you don't have the gear. So you join a heroic guild which has been raiding heroics for a while and where they don't need much gear anymore. After a week or 2 you get your 4 piece and get to know the fights. Then you bail for a mythic guild.

Anything wrong with this?
    Its too late in the game to be worried about something like this.
    A guild still clearing Heroic HFC exclusively, in 2016 ?

10+ Year Old Account
    It mean's shit these days, back in the day when you had a rep on the server as a raider in other words if you bailed on your last guild chances are 2 two guilds officer's would be asking about you're attitude and why you left. Most of the time if you pissed off one two many guilds and have a bad reputation of bailing on your guild or whatever, you would have no choice but to transfer off the server.

Since the lax in server transfers of today, you can basically raid in a guild for each raid lock till you find somewhere you are happy with.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    Its too late in the game to be worried about something like this.
    A guild still clearing Heroic HFC exclusively, in 2016 ?
    it's not unheard of.

I used to be part of a guild of friends/Co-workers that got together with alts or after their main guilds die off and see how far they get.

I believe they 2/13m and they started in April??

EDIT: They started April 26th
    Last edited by Twistedelmo; 2016-07-11 at 03:16 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

However you don't have the gear. So you join a heroic guild which has been raiding heroics for a while and where they don't need much gear anymore. After a week or 2 you get your 4 piece and get to know the fights. Then you bail for a mythic guild.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with this. You pay for your own account, you are free to do as you please, especially when the guild you're playing with isn't meeting your own expectations. The majority of the players disagreeing with you are more than likely 5/13m or lower players. That's not meant to insult them. At the end of the day you're responsible for your own happiness and nothing more
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

If you join a guild that has already cleared heroic and is still just farming for reasons, then you need them more than they need you - hint: they don't need your top notch performance at all -, then you should just be upfront about your intentions and pay them some golds to boost your ass. Unless they are your friends in some way, people don't generally enjoy boosting strangers for no good reason at all; they might feel obligated to keep logging and raiding to integrate you in their social group before Legion hits, all the while you already know that you will bail on them. If it was me, I'd be pissed at the wasted time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Not really. That guild is making an investment in you. They could have provided that gear to someone who stayed instead of repeatedly gearing up people who use them to climb the ladder.

In that respect its shady and the OP knows it.
    I agree but when it comes down to it if your guild is not raiding at the level I want to raid at, how long do you expect me to wait? I realize it isn't the idea situation as I recall gearing up healer after healer in Karazhan and them quitting once they reached a certain gear score. It's shady on OP's part but I can't blame him if the guild he is in isn't making an effort to get to the level of raiding he wants to be at. We aren't all Princess's of Mars here so not everyone will have your code of honor.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see why. I've tried pugging and had very poor luck with gear.
    If I give the guild 2 weeks top performance and then leave with gear, what's wrong with that?
    If you need to ask, you already know it's fucked up in your head. You're just looking for validation.
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

I mean if that was your plan all along, it's a pretty scumbaggy move. If the level of raiding turned out to be not what you expected, it is what it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azkial View Post
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with this. You pay for your own account, you are free to do as you please, especially when the guild you're playing with isn't meeting your own expectations. The majority of the players disagreeing with you are more than likely 5/13m or lower players. That's not meant to insult them. At the end of the day you're responsible for your own happiness and nothing more
    ^ the modern day "me" mentality that is pretty much ruining the world.
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Deleted
    Disclaimer: The folloiwing is written under the presumption that the OP is not part of an age-old guild membership, full with RL-friends and the like.
    Also, leaving while actual progress is happening just to advance forward a few bosses is also a little shady. No/very little progress is another matter though.

Also, he specifically said "dont need much gear anymore"

I'd say it depends on how mythic guilds operate in terms of recruiting.
    I believe most expect a recruit to come with at least full heroic/in part mythic gear, because otherwhise it's hard to gauge performance levels.
    A low geared recruit could always say he needs better gear to prove he's good, and gearing up can take time.
    Since mythic progress takes up enough time, many mythic raid guilds quickly drop/reduce heroic runs, so a recruit would have little to no chance to gear up there either.

If you have the skill and dedication for mythic, and have proven skill and dedication in the heroic guild you've been in, then there is no problem (imo) with going up.
    This is a game you (the player) pays for.
    What you make of it is your own responsibility, no one elses.
    If you feel you can get more fun/rewards out for your money, do it.
    You dont owe anyone.
    You have worked for your gear and earned it.
    The guild needed more players and you helped them.
    You've had your own agenda yes, but who here is actually playing for others?

I think a good deal of nay-sayers are either not in your situation, content with the non-hardcore place they are in and maybe have problems with filling raids and so are quick to attack those contributing to that.
    Well, mythic guilds have ofttime problems with filling raids too, therefor they recruit, so while you make it harder for one raid, you help another.
    And if your skill is mythic level, it would be a waste to spend your time on heroic.
    Technically, it would be more immorale to just quit raiding at all, because you'd help no one, putting the gear you attained to waste, sort of. But who really holds it against people quitting nowadays?
    Last edited by mmoc593e7db3da; 2016-07-11 at 03:45 PM.

OP, using guilds as stepping stones to become better and progress up the rank ladder is nothing new and only the baddies left behind has ever made a complaint about it and it is also expected to do this if you want to join better guilds doing mythic progress as they will not accept you without experience of some sort.

Yes, unless you made it very clear during recruitment that you'll leave as soon as you will be geared.

People using guilds as stepping stones are asshats. That being said, many people are fine with being asshats if it means personal gain. Nothing new.

Really wish there'd be some way to attach a badge of shame to someone's account, considering people can behave as they please and then change name and move servers these days...
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2016-07-11 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    ^ the modern day "me" mentality that is pretty much ruining the world.
    Fully agree.

in my humble opinion there should be a hall of shame for guild jumpers , and yes its wrong to answer your question

People are looking at this situation all wrong. Lets look at this from a real world perspective.

Raiding is like a job. It is a fun job, but you have to show up, you have to perform to your raids standards, and you have a social situation that you need to navigate to be successful. The reward for showing up and doing your job is gear.

If I went to go work for McDonalds (a crappy heroic raid) because I had no work experience and no job prospects, and then after 2 months at McDonalds I decide I'm going to get an entry level job at a call center instead (a mid-level mythic raid, not great, but not just running heroics every week), I've got 2 months of work history under my belt and I can make it in. I continue this trend until I reach my dream job (dream raid/community/etc).

Am I in the wrong because I left McDonalds for a better job? Hell no! I wanted a situation better for myself, nobody can wrong me for that. While I was at McDonalds I did my job and did it well, I am not a slave and nobody can demand I stay or hold it against me for leaving.

----

In raids people think that if you join a guild you have to stay, but its up to the guild to vet you during the interview process and figure out if you are someone who is interested in raiding at their level continuously. Usually people who are interested in those types of raids just want to find a community of friends and kill some bosses.

I would give them at least like 3 weeks so that if you geared up in the first 2 they are getting at least one week of you being competitive in their raid and helping them clear. Ultimately if they aren't even trying to progress beyond heroics though they really have no use for a skilled raider. Skilled raiders are used to down new mythic content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omanley1 View Post
    [COLOR="#0000FF"]
    What you make of it is your own responsibility, no one elses.
    If you feel you can get more fun/rewards out for your money, do it.
    You dont owe anyone.
    You have worked for your gear and earned it.
    The guild needed more players and you helped them.
    You've had your own agenda yes, but who here is actually playing for others?
    ^ This is also the mentality of the MMO-Champion forums. It's a shitty mentality. First off, unless OP soloed all those raid bosses, when you are part of a team, you are all playing for eachother. This is what a -team- is. I pity that you, and the majority of MMO-Champion know nothing about what it means to work on a -team-. No "Dedication" has been proven, and if she's joining a real mythic team, I would be first to see how long she's been in other guilds, and decline immediately, because I wouldn't want some guild-hopping asshole to do the same thing to me.

To put it in simpler terms. It's like getting into a relationship you know won't last, but not telling her. Then dumping her the moment someone hotter comes along.

"But you're only in it for your own happiness"

See now how it's the asshole move?

Quote Originally Posted by Harekrsna View Post
    People are looking at this situation all wrong. Lets look at this from a real world perspective.

Raiding is like a job. It is a fun job, but you have to show up, you have to perform to your raids standards, and you have a social situation that you need to navigate to be successful. The reward for showing up and doing your job is gear.

If I went to go work for McDonalds (a crappy heroic raid) because I had no work experience and no job prospects, and then after 2 months at McDonalds I decide I'm going to get an entry level job at a call center instead (a mid-level mythic raid, not great, but not just running heroics every week), I've got 2 months of work history under my belt and I can make it in. I continue this trend until I reach my dream job (dream raid/community/etc).

Am I in the wrong because I left McDonalds for a better job? Hell no! I wanted a situation better for myself, nobody can wrong me for that. While I was at McDonalds I did my job and did it well, I am not a slave and nobody can demand I stay or hold it against me for leaving.
    McDonalds and jobs of that ilk DON'T invest in their employees, specifically because they don't value them and expect them to leave at the drop of a hat. They will often not hire people who are "over qualified" because they do expect them to leave the moment they can get something better.

If that's how you want your guild to treat people, then I wouldn't want to be in your guild AND the OP wouldn't be getting any gear from them to begin with because they would be expecting him to leave the moment there's a better option.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harekrsna View Post

----

In raids people think that if you join a guild you have to stay, but its up to the guild to vet you during the interview process and figure out if you are someone who is interested in raiding at their level continuously. Usually people who are interested in those types of raids just want to find a community of friends and kill some bosses.

I would give them at least like 3 weeks so that if you geared up in the first 2 they are getting at least one week of you being competitive in their raid and helping them clear. Ultimately if they aren't even trying to progress beyond heroics though they really have no use for a skilled raider. Skilled raiders are used to down new mythic content.
    Let me tell you, in the real world, if you get a job at a company, and leave before a respectable amount of time. You become poison to the majority of the HR community, untouchable. They will not hire you, because they are investing quite a lot of money and time into you (or raid gear) and if they know you are going to leave before you actually become a profitable investment for the company? No one will hire you.

Raiding is essentially a job. Millions of people apply for jobs specifically to use those jobs as a stepping stone for better jobs. No, there's nothing wrong with using a guild for gear, so long as you actually contribute during your time with that guild.

That said, if you're looking to get into mythic raiding now, you're doing it wrong.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu