Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Raid testers, how is it being melee in Legion?

Looking for some feedback from those who did raid testing. HFC was pretty tough on melee classes and seemed very unforgiving. I played mage so I had a lot of "oh shit" buttons to stay alive and avoid incoming damage.

What are your thoughts on melee in HFC? Will there be a lot of encounters where stacking ranged will make the fight easier?

I'm concerned about the Demonology, Unholy, Beastmaster pets. Cause i'd love to know if theres a pool of fire under my ass without 50 of their pets covering my vision.
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    I'm concerned about the Demonology, Unholy, Beastmaster pets. Cause i'd love to know if theres a pool of fire under my ass without 50 of their pets covering my vision.
    I played Fury Warrior for a while in HFC before switching to mage and had this same problem. Maybe it was my settings? I played using ultra settings on a 34" monitor and there was A LOT stuff obstructing my view.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullarkie View Post
    I played Fury Warrior for a while in HFC before switching to mage and had this same problem. Maybe it was my settings? I played using ultra settings on a 34" monitor and there was A LOT stuff obstructing my view.
    It could be worse in Legion because that Demonology, Beastmasters and Unholy DKs spawn SIGNIFICANTLY more pets and minions in Legion.
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

It could be worse in Legion because that Demonology, Beastmasters and Unholy DKs spawn SIGNIFICANTLY more pets and minions in Legion.
    Thats what Im worried about. They keep saying theyre trying to fix this issue and they cant really find a fix. I dont know how they would do it but Id love the option to hide everyones pets or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Taeldorian View Post
    Thats what Im worried about. They keep saying theyre trying to fix this issue and they cant really find a fix. I dont know how they would do it but Id love the option to hide everyones pets or something.
    Easy solution is to just make all pets that are not yours not show up within x yards of the raid boss. This doesn't alter pvp in any way, would be a standard function and would keep melee from being over-cluttered.

Say if the pet / minion is within 15 yards of the boss then it will not show up (unless it is your pet specifically) ranged pets would still be visible to everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harekrsna View Post
    Easy solution is to just make all pets that are not yours not show up within x yards of the raid boss. This doesn't alter pvp in any way, would be a standard function and would keep melee from being over-cluttered.

Say if the pet / minion is within 15 yards of the boss then it will not show up (unless it is your pet specifically) ranged pets would still be visible to everyone.
    They'd never do that, it takes away from the class fantasy of the summoner classes.

:3
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

this would be an excellent solution
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

I like this, or the option to make melee range pets fairly transparent with or without an outline so their presence is known but easily ignored.
    One of these days, I should probably figure out a decent signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldonia View Post
    I like this, or the option to make melee range pets fairly transparent with or without an outline so their presence is known but easily ignored.
    I was going to say the same thing...add translucency to any pets that aren't yours so that you can still see the ground beneath them. It would also make things easier in the event that the boss summons pets as well...so you could clearly see the difference between boss and player pets.

I think the worst part of being melee in legion isnt the pets but the stupid max camera distance we have now.

Quote Originally Posted by nephzor View Post
    I think the worst part of being melee in legion isnt the pets but the stupid max camera distance we have now.
    That is not nearly as big as a problem as people are making it out to be. The people that it does hurt are the lower resolution people or ones trying to shrink their screen to max graphic and performance.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    That is not nearly as big as a problem as people are making it out to be. The people that it does hurt are the lower resolution people or ones trying to shrink their screen to max graphic and performance.
    From my experience it is a problem and I don't get why Blizzard does that. It's really easy to get surprised by stuff that you would've seen with higher camera range on some fights (like chromatic anomaly, Trilliax maybe, Elisandre)

10+ Year Old Account
    i have relied on GTFO to counter this issue.

Didn't they say forever ago that a lot of pets and other effects like that were going to be shrunk or suppressed for other players in raid groups? I might be misremembering.

HFC was pretty tough on melee classes and seemed very unforgiving.
    IMO, HFC has been one of the most melee-friendly raids in recent history. I found it fine, and was often glad I wasn't ranged.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Septik View Post
    i have relied on GTFO to counter this issue.
    This may help but it still won't let you see where the safe bit of ground to move is - so you will just keep shuffling about until GTFO stops screaming at you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thete View Post
    This may help but it still won't let you see where the safe bit of ground to move is - so you will just keep shuffling about until GTFO stops screaming at you.
    Yea so the first couple times that might cost me some hp/healer mana (maybe even a death), but after the umpteenth time doing an encounter you will know the amount of movement required. Its not like we only ever do a fight once or the size of the shitpool randomly changes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Septik View Post
    Yea so the first couple times that might cost me some hp/healer mana (maybe even a death), but after the umpteenth time doing an encounter you will know the amount of movement required. Its not like we only ever do a fight once or the size of the shitpool randomly changes.
    Where it spawns changes and there are a number of fights where many of them spawn. GTFO is not a way to navigate on the likes of Darmac or Velhari for example. It is useful only in telling that where you are is bad, but will never tell you where is safe if you can't see for yourself; no matter how many times you do a fight.

Looking for some feedback from those who did raid testing. HFC was pretty tough on melee classes and seemed very unforgiving. I played mage so I had a lot of "oh shit" buttons to stay alive and avoid incoming damage.

What are your thoughts on melee in HFC? Will there be a lot of encounters where stacking ranged will make the fight easier?
    Worth noting that ranged are losing a few defensives.
    I've heard quite a few mages complaining that they're too squishy.