Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

New run animations with old models

I am literally shocked. Even if you choose old models, in Legion, they use the new run animations. Always.

Every single one of my characters looks hillarious stupid now. These are not my chars, which i played since 11 years.

Run animation is one of the most important aspects (if not even the most important one) of char identity. Way more than the face. You always look at your char from behind, while he/she is running or casting/striking. Every second in that game.

I have no idea what Chris Robinson smoked, when he designed that run animations. An Orc (male) with absurd bow legs. Female humans raisin their hands into the sky while jumping (?). Night elf males looking like a football player while doin bodychecks. And that absurd Tauren (male) run style, lookin like the Tauren doin ice skating. Thats so fukin weird.

The old run animations look so unbelievable more realistic imo. Tauren had the feeling of heavy weight. Orcs were massive. Hands of the chars while jumping did what hands in reality do, when you jump. The complete body acted way more natural than that new shit. No one in reality behaves or look like how that new models do.

As a loyal customer, i cant handle that shit anymore. They had changed a LOT in the game over the years. And thats fine. But if i hate every single character i have, in every second of the game, then the fun is gone. I cant understand how blizz could change an integral part like that, for loyal customers and long-time players, without any options to choose away from. Thats just absurd.

Its not that i cant adapt myself to changes. But style is a whole another thing. If they had changed it slightly, to keep the base of the style, than maybe i could adapt. But to change something that ridiculous and so far away from its base... Its too much.

And it looks like i am not the only one. I met another few ppl (5-6) on beta, having the same problem. And they were shocked the same way i was, as they realized they cant configure away from it.

I never thought that a stupid thing like this, will finally drive me away from wow. Unbelievable.
    Last edited by Niwes; 2016-07-12 at 09:31 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Agree with you 100% about Taurens, I still use the old models just because of that new running animation (which is awful imho.)
    I don't get why they did this, at least right now you can have a choice.

Someone does not deal well with change...

Quote Originally Posted by Metallourlante View Post
    Agree with you 100% about Taurens, I still use the old models just because of that new running animation (which is awful imho.)
    until Legion launches...

then you have to accept that ugly new run style, also with your old models.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ReVnX View Post
    as i said, normally i am really the opposite of a neophobic person. but that... no. sorry.

10+ Year Old Account
    it is stupid using old models so...
    ...Le Poète est semblable au prince des nuées
    Qui hante la tempête e se rit de l'archer;
    Exilé sul le sol au milieu des huées,
    Ses ailes de géant l'empêchent de marcher.

Charles Baudelaire

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You could always quit if you don't like it? The game has evolved, kind of getting sick of people complaining because of that.

It's a waste of devs time keeping old models relevant.

maintaining the option to select old models in Legion feels more like a sad joke then anything else

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel SnackyCakes View Post
    You could always quit if you don't like it? The game has evolved, kind of getting sick of people complaining because of that.

i would be even fine with the new models, if i could change just the run animations to the old ones. its not the models in general, or their faces etc. Its that weird run animations.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzeeyooo View Post
    maintaining the option to select old models in Legion feels more like a sad joke then anything else
    if you dont keep an integral part like run animations together with the old models, than yes. its totally useless to let ppl choose old models, when they loose an integral aspect like run animations, even if they choose the old models.

Deleted
    It might have something to do with the new animations coming with Legion (Based on class/spec/artifact).

Obviously they are not going to rig old outdated skeletons to these (The decision probably came based on the data on how many of us actually use old models and those are simply not worth it).

An option would be to just rig them all to the 1-2 special attack animations; but then everyone who uses old models would just scream murder for not getting anything new.

It'll cost a raid tier.

You could always quit if you don't like it?
    yea you tell em - imagine how good the game will be when everyone but you quits

Quote Originally Posted by Metallourlante View Post
    They did this because they added dozens of new combat animations, and did not want duplicate work by expanding the old models - so they just made them use the same animation skeleton. You should be happy they didn't prune the old model out entirely.

i already would use the new models, if their run animations had not been that ugly. First, i dont care how my chars face looks like, when i look at my char from behind, 98% of the time. Second, i could customize my face, style etc. In short: There you have options. But if you hate the new run animations, you have zero options.

Like one above said: The only option is to quit the game. And thats just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    You should be happy they didn't prune the old model out entirely.
    why should I be happy that they kept the option to select old models, when old models no longer exist? rofl

Quote Originally Posted by Zmago View Post
    It might have something to do with the new animations coming with Legion (Based on class/spec/artifact).

Obviously they are not going to rig old outdated skeletons to these (The decision probably came based on the data on how many of us actually use old models and those are simply not worth it).

An option would be to just rig them all to the 1-2 special attack animations; but then everyone who uses old models would just scream murder for not getting anything new.
    i understand that. but why not letting ppl choose away from ? they can do the new strike animations only with new models. check. so why not "if you choose old models, you cant have new strike/melee animations" ? i am fine with to loose that (nice looking) new fight animations, and just have the old ones, when i can keep my old run animation.

or in short: old model = old model. no new fight animations, run animations, no new spell animations. just keep it like it was and implement all the new stuff into the new models. its my problem, not blizz ones, when i have no new cool shiny fight animations then.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    They did this because they added dozens of new combat animations, and did not want duplicate work by expanding the old models - so they just made them use the same animation skeleton. You should be happy they didn't prune the old model out entirely.
    why not just let alone EVERYTHING of the old model, and do all of that with the new ones ?

i never asked for having new combat animations with old models. just copy that skelleton to new models and change that skelleton there. and leave the old one alone. (or vice versa).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzeeyooo View Post
    why should I be happy that they kept the option to select old models, when old models no longer exist? rofl
    yep. exactly thats the point.

10+ Year Old Account
    So they poured their time into remaking the new models animation + old models animation (double work) instead of just leaving them ?

Quote Originally Posted by ReVnX View Post
    I'm quite confident, that you do not play a male nightelf...

Quote Originally Posted by stormgust View Post
    I'm quite confident, that you do not play a male nightelf...
    Didn't they always look / move a little odd though?

10+ Year Old Account
    This was known for quite some time now (Alpha) and i believe there is another Topic about this already.

Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    So they poured their time into remaking the new models animation + old models animation (double work) instead of just leaving them ?
    i think its more of both models using a same thing. and they changed just that base thing, and now both (old and new models) use that changed thing. but there is no problem to just copy that thing. leave the original untouched, and change just the copy. and then link the new model to the copy.

thats for combat animations. but i really dont get what this has to do with the run animations. in warlords you still have both. why the hell this changes, when you design new combat animations?