Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Jaina Proudmoore

I feel like Jaina Proudmoore used to be the only relatesble character I looked up to in the past, and I don't mean it against her changes during tides of war.

I feel like most of the major lore characters are pretty irrational, even as "good" guys (aka anduin) and Jaina has always been that relief where every decision she made had reasons and thoughts behind it. She wasn't all "oh love everyone no matter what" or "everyone that isn't ally is evil!".

Even after the events during tides of war, alot of people jumped to the conclusion that she was crazy. Her entire city was blown to pieces by the ex-apprentice of someone she deeply cared about (Thrall), she was extremely pissed off.

It's the later Jaina that I've been pretty irritated by, she just acts like a grouchy hateful jerk. Will we ever have the old rational Jaina back? Is the friendship we've seen fir many years between her and Thrall gone forever? There aren't anymore characters who don't see i just black and white anymore and it's depressing, everyone has this narrow minded point of view on everything, even the peaceful characters.

Deleted
    Years of betrayal will do that to a girl. She is perhaps the most relatable and human (no pun intended) character in all of WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinsla View Post
    Years of betrayal will do that to a girl. She is perhaps the most relatable and human (no pun intended) character in all of WoW.
    I guess you're right, it's just unfortunate to see her go from neutral for the longest time, to pissed off, to back to neutral, to pissed off again (against the blood elves), to even MORE pissed off. I just want the old Jaina back :,(

Quote Originally Posted by Sinsla View Post
    Who betrayed her anyway? Garrosh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    All it takes is an incel at the wrong place wrong time and we won't even know what hit us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Jaina would be fine if they'd pick an arc or direction for her to go in and stick with it. Her response and militant bearing post-Theramore were understandable and relateable, until she went off the deep edge during the Purge of Dalaran sequence (although YMMV depending on your perspective, I suppose). Then she pulled back in "War Crimes" and seemed to be overcoming her anger and survivor's guilt, until it's revealed that she's still strongly anti-Horde and her inability to see the big picture costs her the leadership of the Kirin Tor and her spot on the Council of Six. Either make her completely partisan, return her to her diplomatic/peacenik roots, or find a happy medium somewhere between the two - constantly having her yo-yo between the two extremes is making it difficult to care about she does story-wise.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Eh, given that she skated around her treaty with the Horde ever since she signed it, doing everything she could to get them killed, save using her own troops (until Cataclysm when she outright invaded Durotar before it was stopped by Horde players), I don't have much sympathy for her.

Blizzard flip flops with her way too much, so at this point, I think she'll be around until Blizzard decides they want the Alliance and Horde to be friends again. They'll kill her off, then two months later will immediately change their minds and want the Horde and Alliance at each other's throats again, rendering some big story choice completely irrelevant.

Like all the effort Michael Stackpole went to to build up Vol'jin and give him some background so he could become Warchief at the end of MoP, then be completely ignored through all of WoD and die immediately in Legion.

And all the effort Christie Golden went through to try and make Jaina more rational at the end of Tides of War, which they threw a monkey wrench into with the Purge. Then when she tried to make her more rational again at the end of War Crimes, and then Blizzard made Jaina still angry at Horde and like "no, Khadgar, you're not allowed to have Horde in your clubhouse on another world in another timeline, because I'm a member of a Council that you're also on, so I have complete authority over you, even though I don't, but I think I'm queen of Dalaran, even though I'm not."

And then making her even more angry in Legion.

At this point, I've pretty much given up hope in Blizzard's writing. Been waiting around for cool stuff that just keeps getting swept aside to build up the humans and Khadgar and human magi over other magi, despite there being tons of better ones out there.

They always make the millennia year old magi like Blood Elves, Night Elves, and Draenei look inferior to the all-knowing mary sue 30-year old human magi, because humans are the best at everything and anyone else who tries is stupid and must be shoved into the dirt in order to make the humans look better.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Jaina would be fine if they'd pick an arc or direction for her to go in and stick with it. Her response and militant bearing post-Theramore were understandable and relateable, until she went off the deep edge during the Purge of Dalaran sequence (although YMMV depending on your perspective, I suppose). Then she pulled back in "War Crimes" and seemed to be overcoming her anger and survivor's guilt, until it's revealed that she's still strongly anti-Horde and her inability to see the big picture costs her the leadership of the Kirin Tor and her spot on the Council of Six. Either make her completely partisan, return her to her diplomatic/peacenik roots, or find a happy medium somewhere between the two - constantly having her yo-yo between the two extremes is making it difficult to care about she does story-wise.
    This is the opinion of an actual human being and not an edgelord. You can all abandon the thread now. There won't be anything better than this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I actually fully agreed with this. Post War Crimes you'd think she'd be not as trusting of the Horde but still willing to cooperate. Yet with the new Legion-Kirin Tor scenario it just seems she's still as much "fuck the Horde" as she was post Theramore. It just doesn't make sense anymore from here on. Some would have said it didn't make sense before either, but that could be understandable when you look at the backstory. But now it seems like the book writers seem to want to push her towards redemption while the devs push her to be some angry warmonger and the two descriptions clearly clash with one another.

Quote Originally Posted by OIS View Post
    The Horde.
    /Thread

Quote Originally Posted by OIS View Post
    Blizzard's writers betrayed her. Jaina's character is fucked up beyond all repair. There is a reason why people call her a dreadlord. It's funny though, she gets what she deserves for trying to play naive peacemaker with the Horde. Hopefully that little shit bag Anduin learns a lesson and grows some fucking balls aswell. Alliance cant have the King of Stormwind trying to hold hands with Orcs and shit.
    Last edited by Tripzzz; 2016-07-12 at 11:44 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    As far as I'm concerned she died with her city.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripzzz View Post
    Blizzard's writers betrayed her. Jaina's character is fucked up beyond all repair. There is a reason why people call her a dreadlord. It's funny though, she gets what she deserves for trying to pretend to be peaceful while helping the Alliance kill the Horde however she can with supplies, personnel, transport, and hospitality, without directly using her own troops, until Cataclysm when she invaded the Barrens, and Durotar, which she can't even pretend is neutral territory. Hopefully that little shit bag Anduin learns a lesson and grows some fucking balls aswell. Alliance cant have the King of Stormwind trying to hold hands with Orcs and shit.
    There we go, ftfy

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoadbearer View Post
    There we go, ftfy
    So i was just imagining Jaina stopping Varian from attacking the Horde both in battle for undercity and Ulduar trailer? I guess she never befriended Thrall either.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoadbearer View Post
    There we go, ftfy
    Technically, Norwatch troops attacked Barrens shortly before the Cataclysm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripzzz View Post
    So i was just imagining Jaina stopping Varian from attacking the Horde both in battle for undercity and Ulduar trailer? I guess she never befriended Thrall either.
    It's more she has no understanding of what neutrality is and likely she didn't want to be killed in battle while fine with the pawns being slaughtered.

7+ Year Old Account
    Has it been five minutes already? Guess it's time for another Jaina post.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    It's more she has no understanding of what neutrality is and likely she didn't want to be killed in battle while fine with the pawns being slaughtered.
    Then she could of just left on her own and let the "pawns" stay.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    The Horde.
    /Thread
    Jaina threw her lot with the Alliance. IIRC, Theramore was an Alliance zone before it was nuked to kingdom come. So that makes her enemies with the Horde, and the actions of Theramore troops reflected that. Ever tried to take a stroll in Theramore while playing a Horde character?

So there was no betrayal, since there wasn't a bond of loyalty to begin with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    All it takes is an incel at the wrong place wrong time and we won't even know what hit us.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VomitPrincess View Post
    I feel like Jaina Proudmoore used to be the only relatesble character I looked up to in the past, and I don't mean it against her changes during tides of war.

I feel like most of the major lore characters are pretty irrational, even as "good" guys (aka anduin) and Jaina has always been that relief where every decision she made had reasons and thoughts behind it. She wasn't all "oh love everyone no matter what" or "everyone that isn't ally is evil!".

Even after the events during tides of war, alot of people jumped to the conclusion that she was crazy. Her entire city was blown to pieces by the ex-apprentice of someone she deeply cared about (Thrall), she was extremely pissed off.

It's the later Jaina that I've been pretty irritated by, she just acts like a grouchy hateful jerk. Will we ever have the old rational Jaina back? Is the friendship we've seen fir many years between her and Thrall gone forever? There aren't anymore characters who don't see i just black and white anymore and it's depressing, everyone has this narrow minded point of view on everything, even the peaceful characters.
    Well when your home gets blown up by the leader of the Horde then I would too be a bit against them

Signature by Serryn

She shouldn't have invaded the Barrens if she didn't want to be smacked. No one to blame but herself.