Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arewn View Post
    Which is probably why its going as well as it is, taking numbers the country can actually deal with.

Other countries should follow Canada's lead in that respect. Take less refugees, and properly screen those you do take. Only bring in what you can handle.
    I think the argument is that Canada should be boasting, just not for the reasons Tennisace implies

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Examples would be not respecting apostates and gay peoples right to exist, theocracy over secularism, lesser rights for woman.
    So apart from apostates (arguably there are some religions in the US that do treat apostates very very bad) there are alot of people who stil have problems with gay rights and even their right to exist, theocracy over secularism (hmm teaching creationism in public schools?), lesser rights for woman, like being denied bodily autonomy (abortion)?

That isn't based on argument, that is a silencing tactic.
    I literally gave you the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think the argument is that Canada should be boasting, just not for the reasons Tennisace implies
    I think the only reason Canada has to boast about the refugee situation, is how well our citizens are handling it, and for the most part actually welcoming the refugees to our country. On top of actually wanting the government to take in more, not less. (If that's even true just going by the odd news article that claims that).
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    So apart from apostates (arguably there are some religions in the US that do treat apostates very very bad) there are alot of people who stil have problems with gay rights and even their right to exist, theocracy over secularism (hmm teaching creationism in public schools?), lesser rights for woman, like being denied bodily autonomy (abortion)?
    These are valid concerns, yet having some citizens with bad ideas is not a justification for mass importing more people you know have a particularly high probability of also having bad ideas.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-07-12 at 08:09 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arewn View Post
    Which is probably why its going as well as it is, taking numbers the country can actually deal with.

Other countries should follow Canada's lead in that respect. Take less refugees, and properly screen those you do take. Only bring in what you can handle.
    People usually aren´t too happy about people dying on their doorstep. There are countries that can´t follow canada´s lead in that respect and other countries who took in more than double despite having not even 1/3 of the population are able to handle it.

- - - Updated - - -

These are valid concerns, yet having citizens with bad ideas is not a justification for mass importing more people you know have a particularly high probability of also having bad ideas.
    Unless those bad ideas are actually a problem there´s no need to deny them help.
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Malta is also steps away from Syria, and has a tiny population which inflates per capita numbers. Canada has CITIES with more refugees than Malta.
    Your map is broken if you think Malta is steps away from Syria.

And having a tiny population, whilst also being significantly poorer, means that it is harder for the Maltese to cope than it would be for Canada, let alone the space issues.

Malta is punching above its weight, yet no Maltese are boasting about it, whereas Canada is doing bugger all significant, yet here we are in a thread where a Canadian is boasting.

Not boasting. Commenting.
    No, I said not to boast, I never mentioned commenting.

You seem to think that the logistics in getting 1000s of people to Canada from half way around the world, over a massive ocean, is as easy as letting them walk or take a train across your borders. Or else you wouldn't be claiming that Canada isn't pulling its weight. It is not that easy, if it were our numbers would be much, MUCH, higher. Canada is pulling it's part because we don't have the logistic capabilities without spending a massive chunk of our GDP to get the 100,000's of thousands that you're claiming Canada should be able to take in. If you want Canada to take Malta's spot as 10th in per capita Canada would have to take in over half a million refugees. Getting half a million people to Canada is not an easy task.
    Not my problem, it is for the Canadian people to resolve how they wish to pull their weight, which they are clearly not doing at the moment by any metric available.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    In order to lead all other nations, Canada would need to take in 7,500,000 refugees...they do not even have anywhere near 10% of that figure.
    I'm not sure you know what math is

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Unless those bad ideas are actually a problem there´s no need to deny them help.
    Yeah they are a problem for as long as there are no reliable polls showing that migrant families are mostly assimilating to Western values. If you have stats saying they are successfully assimilating both socially and economically, then that would be more convincing than anything else in the thread.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-07-12 at 08:19 PM.

i think 50 thousand is a respectable number, considering our geographic distance and low population. honestly i was completely appalled to read the US only accepting 10k. wtf? with ten times our population and the richest country in the world, i just assumed that would be reflected in the numbers they took. but a fifth of what we are taking, that's pathetic.
    "Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't mean the person actually said it." - Thomas Jefferson

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synadrasa View Post
    I'm not sure you know what math is
    My bad, it should be 9,000,000 refugees in Canada to match the rate of Lebanon.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your map is broken if you think Malta is steps away from Syria.

And having a tiny population, whilst also being significantly poorer, means that it is harder for the Maltese to cope than it would be for Canada, let alone the space issues.

Malta is punching above its weight, yet no Maltese are boasting about it, whereas Canada is doing bugger all significant, yet here we are in a thread where a Canadian is boasting.
    Compared to Canada, Malta is steps away from Syria. And Malta is hardly poor. Malta is 31 on GDP per capita. Right behind the oh so poor New Zealand.

No, I said not to boast, I never mentioned commenting.
    And no one is boasting, only commenting.

Not my problem, it is for the Canadian people to resolve how they wish to pull their weight, which they are clearly not doing at the moment by any metric available.
    If you can't see how logistics is played into "pulling your weight" then you're just plain ignorant.
    Last edited by Tyrianth; 2016-07-12 at 08:21 PM.

My bad, it should be 9,000,000 refugees in Canada to match the rate of Lebanon.
    Lebanon is basically Syria good try

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellosaltygoodness View Post
    i think 50 thousand is a respectable number, considering our geographic distance and low population. honestly i was completely appalled to read the US only accepting 10k. wtf? with ten times our population and the richest country in the world, i just assumed that would be reflected in the numbers they took. but a fifth of what we are taking, that's pathetic.
    Do you have any logical arguments as to why we should take more?

Do you have any logical arguments as to why we should take more?
    Maybe cause the US was a large contributor in the destabilization of the middle east? ;p

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Compared to Canada, Malta is steps away from Syria.
    Unless you are Jesus, Malta is not steps away from anywhere.

And Malta is hardly poor. Malta is 31 on GDP per capita. Right behind the oh so poor New Zealand.
    Significantly poorer than Canada, which is quite obvious from the context.

And no one is boasting, only commenting.
    ...apart from the OP of this very thread.

If you can't see how logistics is played into "pulling your weight" then you're just plain ignorant.
    Canada so poor

Should we have a whip round for the starving Canadians?

Lebanon is basically syria good try
    No it is not. What the fuck?

Quote Originally Posted by dubious_doomhammer View Post
    Maybe cause the US was a large contributor in the destabilization of the middle east? ;p
    Middle east has been shit for a long time.

- - - Updated - - -

Canada so poor

No it is not. What the fuck?
    Syrians are the largest refugee population in the world right now and you're surprised that countries bordering syria have the highest refugees? So you mean they walked like 10 miles? Mind Blown.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah they are a problem for as long as there are no reliable polls showing that migrant families are mostly assimilating to Western values. If you have stats saying they are successfully assimilating both socially and economically, then that would be more convincing than anything else in the thread.
    So you rather go with polls than actual statistics from countries that took in a huge amount of refugees? Austria has seen an decrease in crime rates (apart from cybercrime) and an increase in crime clearance rate in 2015. Austria recieved 90.000 asylum requests in 2015, that´s more than 1% of the population.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/07..._10933532.html

I hope some good can come from this. Canada is doing its part and it's time for other countries to step it up and follow suit.
    I love how Canadians are concerned as to why the speed of refugee resettlement is so slow! I agree! Speed it up!
    Why should other countries follow? It's not safe enough

10+ Year Old Account
    Syrians are the largest refugee population in the world right now and you're surprised that countries bordering syria have the highest refugees? So you mean they walked like 10 miles? Mind Blown.
    Where did I express surprise? I pointed out that Lebanon has far more refugees, both in sheer numbers and in ratio of refugees to population.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Apparantly you don't know what a hyperbole is.

You still don't know what boasting is.

Canada so poor

You are complete and utter fool. I made my points. You're allowed to have a (wrong) opinion, and I'm allowed to think of you as a complete idiot.

Infracted-Keep it civil
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2016-07-13 at 05:02 AM.