Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    It is a collective idea to invent these games.
    You cannot claim who invents what.

Video game industrial is very competitive.
    Lots of innovate companies went bankrupt.

Blizzard is the last man standing.
    You feel like it invents everything.

They observed that some Overwatch features were working really well, and they're imitating them. That's not a bad thing. Hell, that's a great thing. Almost every good game out there achieves its goodness by taking something that already works and refining it. Trailblazers are the exception rather than the rule, even when we're talking exclusively about good games.

Overwatch itself was a melting pot of ideas that had already been implemented in other games, including TF2. It's not a cleverly designed game because of new ideas, it's a cleverly designed game because of how it handles those ideas.
    Last edited by Eats Compost; 2016-07-12 at 12:00 PM.

The only thing that is truly unique and best from Valve is Half-Life.
    It seems people have forgotten how big Portal was in it's day. Portal came from Valve. I don't even know how to feel knowing that some people are so young that they literally don't know how big of a deal Portal was.

Valve also did Left4Dead, which wasn't record breaking, but still fairly unique and was successful enough to pull in a sequel.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by saverem View Post
    i disagree.
    facts: Optional.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    I disagree.
    Those are facts. Not opinions.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    Those are facts. Not opinions.
    No, those are opinions until proven to be facts. Feel free to provide evidence and I'll more than happily agree.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Manthis View Post
    Blizzard? Innovators? Regarding Diablo franchise perhaps, the other games? Not so much. More like "Hey, this type of game is somewhat popular, lets make our own and polish it further". Still waiting for Blizzard to get into the sports gaming scene.
    Blizzard didn't really even make Diablo as much as purchase the company that developed it (Condor), and renamed it Blizzard North.

Quote Originally Posted by Eats Compost View Post
    They observed that some Overwatch features were working really well, and they're imitating them. That's not a bad thing. Hell, that's a great thing. Almost every good game out there achieves its goodness by taking something that already works and refining it. Trailblazers are the exception rather than the rule, even when we're talking exclusively about good games.

Overwatch itself was a melting pot of ideas that had already been implemented in other games, including TF2. It's not a cleverly designed game because of new ideas, it's a cleverly designed game because of how it handles those ideas.
    They implemented a bunch of mechanics Overwatch has had to put up with and the TF2 community instantly erupted in negative feedback. Casual play was completely ruined and the TF2 devs had to post a blog admitting to it's failure as they tried to fix the issue.

Really goes to speak miles about how much better of a game Overwatch could be, most people here just don't know it because the game never had said mechanics in the first place.

15+ Year Old Account
    No, those are opinions until proven to be facts. Feel free to provide evidence and I'll more than happily agree.
    Team Fortress was a mod for Quake. Valve hired a team of developers to port it to the Half Life engine as a stand alone game.

Action Quake was also a mod for Quake. It was being ported to Half Life as well. Part of the team fractured and went to work on Counterstrike when Goose's version earned support by Valve. It has many of the same weapons and characteristics from Action Quake. They even had bandaging which was a unique feature from AQ that was eventually cut.

DOTA is the name Defense of the Ancients, a map from Warcraft 2, or was it 3? It can't be any more copied from Blizzard than that. They were actually sued by Blizzard for the name but settled. The entire DOTA game from Valve is still based off that game but with different characters.

Need I say more?

Try using any search engine and educating yourself...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10+ Year Old Account
    Team Fortress was a mod for Quake. Valve hired a team of developers to port it to the Half Life engine as a stand alone game.

Action Quake was also a mod for Quake. It was being ported to Half Life as well. Part of the team fractured and went to work on Counterstrike when Goose's version earned support by Valve. It has many of the same weapons and characteristics from Action Quake. They even had bandaging which was a unique feature from AQ that was eventually cut.

DOTA is the name Defense of the Ancients, a map from Warcraft 2, or was it 3? It can't be any more copied from Blizzard than that. They were actually sued by Blizzard for the name but settled. The entire DOTA game from Valve is still based off that game but with different characters.

Need I say more?

Try using any search engine and educating yourself...

Overwatch was copied from TF2 which was taken from a Quake mod made by the people who then went on to work at Valve.... So they stole the idea...from themselves.

Why are you bringing DOTA in this when the subject was TF2 and Overwatch? If you want to use the argument "well Valve copied from Blizz" then that's fine, but still doesn't disprove my argument that Overwatch copied TF2...
    Last edited by Saverem; 2016-07-12 at 07:35 PM.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain

5 pages, a new Jaylock record.

Technically DOTA was a Warcraft 3 version of Aeon of Strife, a Starcraft 1 map. (That little bit gets lost in time a lot.)

Unrelated to that, I do find it funny people are complaining that they copied 6's from TF2, when it's been basically the competitive "standard" in TF2 for years.

Quote Originally Posted by i9erek View Post
    Overwatch is just TF2 with more classes, albeit they call them "heroes".
    Yep. Exactly like it, in every way.
    Member of every Blizzard beta club.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcotraz View Post
    Ah, the time-old "it's fine that WoW's lost 1/2-2/3rd's of its subscribers, because it's still several millions ahead of everyone else" argument.

Yes, & no. On the one hand, sure, it's absolutely still in the lead (by far). On the other hand, it's bleeding subscriptions at a ridiculous rate, to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if it's had one of the biggest %-based drop-offs in MMO History. Income is nowhere near the levels they were at even just a handful of years ago, even with the Pet Store & Subscription Tokens shoring up some extra income, & that's a problem, because it signifies that Blizzard is indeed becoming stale, no matter what kind of money Overwatch may be bringing in now, as there's no guarantee of such numbers a year from now, or two if Blizzard has indeed lost its magical money-making touch.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't seriously believe that, do you?

I mean sure, most of the WoW Clones fail to feature 50% of what WoW has, but that World of Warcraft, in 2016, continues to innovate? Sure, at launch, WoW was something amazingly new & innovative, but today, in 2016? Hell, I can't even remember the last time Blizzard did something innovative with W-

Oh wait, yeah, I remember now, yeah.... December 8, 2009; Patch 3.3 - Looking for Group.
    Cross realm grouping. I'm sure lots of people can believe the number of MMOs people play where several different groups of friends roll on different realms at launch, and now you have to choose which group of friends to play with. It's one reason why I quit FFXIV.

Also, the quote was "Blizzard are not innovators" which is still false. WoW isn't the only game they make, and to discredit all of their past innovations because WoD bombed is asinine.

Oh here's another. How they handle penalties now in their games. No silenced players in competitive Heroes, pretty amazing.
    Last edited by Boogums; 2016-07-12 at 08:23 PM.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

10+ Year Old Account
    It would be stupid of them not to copy the features of a successful game like Overwatch.

15+ Year Old Account
    Overwatch was copied from TF2 which was taken from a Quake mod made by the people who then went on to work at Valve.... So they stole the idea...from themselves.

Why are you bringing DOTA in this when the subject was TF2 and Overwatch? If you want to use the argument "well Valve copied from Blizz" then that's fine, but still doesn't disprove my argument that Overwatch copied TF2...
    You claimed that Blizzard copied TF2 with Overwatch. The fact that TF wasn't an original idea means neither were original. Overwatch also has a far more diverse set of classes as well.

I went on to show you that Valve's only original IP are Half Life, Portal and Left for Dead which I forgot about. I'm not saying Valve didn't improve them but they took an existing mod and made it their own game.

10+ Year Old Account
    You claimed that Blizzard copied TF2 with Overwatch. The fact that TF wasn't an original idea means neither were original. Overwatch also has a far more diverse set of classes as well.

I went on to show you that Valve's only original IP are Half Life, Portal and Left for Dead which I forgot about. I'm not saying Valve didn't improve them but they took an existing mod and made it their own game.
    If the people who originally made the mod for Quake went on to work at Valve, then they didn't copy anything as the people responsible were their employees.

Also, you'd have to be very big Blizz fanboy if you can't admit Overwatch is a TF2 copy. It's OK, admitting it won't make the game any less fun.

If the people who originally made the mod for Quake went on to work at Valve, then they didn't copy anything as the people responsible were their employees.

Also, you'd have to be very big Blizz fanboy if you can't admit Overwatch is a TF2 copy. It's OK, admitting it won't make the game any less fun.
    Yeah, I'm having a lot of fun with the Spy in Overwatch... who is...
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

Deleted
    So that's the bullshit they've been doing instead of working on a new Half Life...

15+ Year Old Account

The moment it converted from a mod in quake to a new game is when it was copied. That's clear cut. If you worked for Microsoft and left and then created a new game for Sony that was exactly the same it would be a copy. It doesn't make it illegal but it's still a direct copy. If ID Software took them in it would be a what you describe since the original game was Quake.

We'll this is a Blizzard fan forum unless I'm mistaken so yes I support Blizzard. I know it's cool to be anti Blizzard so keep up the good work.