Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadkins View Post

It's a little unnerving that some people are fighting so hard for their right to be unapologetic dicks.
    Indeed, acting as if it's "manly" and strong to be a shitty person taking out your frustrations on strangers and being OK with it. We're generally not OK with assholes IRL, why be OK with them just because we're online? The more accountability the better I say!

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Christonya View Post
    But im not arguing that I want the capability of acting like a jerk without consequence. Im arguing that I don't want to suddenly get silenced for having a different opinion. Which, btw if you read all my posts in here, you'll notice that I have an infraction. Because I have a different opinion from the other guy.
    I did read your other posts, that's why I know you argued for more than just not being silenced for having a different opinion. For example:

"Seriously, who the fuck are YOU or BLIZZARD to police what I can and cannot listen to in a social game? If I want to be exposed to the idiocy of trade chat I DAMN WELL HAVE THE RIGHT TO. This is an example of people unable to adapt to the real world expecting it to change for them, the ignore list is there, it does it's job perfectly. "

Here, you're not just talking about having a different opinion and are supporting the idiocy in trade because you think it's an entitlement. You're also clearly stating that Blizzard has no right to police chat in the game. That's arguing for the capability of being a jerk without consequence.

Quote Originally Posted by Exaelitus View Post
    I did read your other posts, that's why I know you argued for more than just not being silenced for having a different opinion. For example:

"Seriously, who the fuck are YOU or BLIZZARD to police what I can and cannot listen to in a social game? If I want to be exposed to the idiocy of trade chat I DAMN WELL HAVE THE RIGHT TO. This is an example of people unable to adapt to the real world expecting it to change for them, the ignore list is there, it does it's job perfectly. "

Here, you're not just talking about having a different opinion and are supporting the idiocy in trade because you think it's an entitlement. You're also clearly stating that Blizzard has no right to police chat in the game. That's arguing for the capability of being a jerk without consequence.
    No, the problem is that it is a robot that will police that griefing tools (no matter what blizzard says) and a GM will only get involved when you protest getting silenced.

Instead of having a real GM telling the entitled little brat to use /ignore if he cannot take handle the words.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Or you could be smart and not vent those "unpopular" views other than to people you know, as they're clearly bad enough to warrant reports if you already know that you'll end up silenced... It's plain to see just how needed this feature is.
    yup... not like trolls attack high profile targets constantly.

i've posted '/popcorn' to a forum thread and received -10 for it.

that'd be an insta-silence

Heh, people afraid of being silenced for "having a different opinion"... Somehow I doubt that "different opinion" translates to them liking avocado whilst others in the chat are more partial to succini...

The less people are able to treat open chats as their ass ventilation, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    I am wondering how this is going to work. I generally hate people who are preaching homophobic, conservative, religious and/or racist politics in trade chat. I'm sure most of them hate the things that I say as well. I usually don't start these conversations, I just chime in on them to agitate conservative racist and/or homophobic people. If we all start reporting each other for these kind of things, are we going to get silenced over that, or are we only going to get silenced over hate speech and abusive language or spanning. Is blizzard going to look over what was actually said before they silencing people? Lets say you are on a server packed with conservative people and they are report you just because they don't like your point of view, are we going to get silenced for that?
    Pretty much this:

If the system could eliminate toxicity from humanity then yeah it would be great but I don't think anything in all of our history has managed to do that yet so what I think is actually going to happen is everyone reporting each other over and over again.

Think about it two kids siting there one says they reported the other one so then the other one adds the other to friends to remember their name and just reports them when ever he can as an act of vendetta and while you can claim to the penalty for false abuse report will prevent this what will actually happen is the person will be more careful and wait for a moment when they can catch something borderline silenceable and then report at that moment instead.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Indeed, acting as if it's "manly" and strong to be a shitty person taking out your frustrations on strangers and being OK with it. We're generally not OK with assholes IRL, why be OK with them just because we're online? The more accountability the better I say!
    While I understand that is your opinion based on what I have seen you would be silenced for having it inside world of warcraft after this change goes live due to Profanity being against Code of conduct.

Quote Originally Posted by teh1tom View Post
    Pretty much this:

If the system could eliminate toxicity from humanity then yeah it would be great but I don't think anything in all of our history has managed to do that yet so what I think is actually going to happen is everyone reporting each other over and over again.

Think about it two kids siting there one says they reported the other one so then the other one adds the other to friends to remember their name and just reports them when ever he can as an act of vendetta and while you can claim to the penalty for false abuse report will prevent this what will actually happen is the person will be more careful and wait for a moment when they can catch something borderline silenceable and then report at that moment instead.
    It is not 1 kid, it could be thousands =D.

I got called racist and almost got perma banned for saying something in french to a bunch of Brazilians brats in a LFR. It took a french speaking GM from the EU (I'm on NA) to clear things out. My account literally received about 3k complains on that 1 liner alone... out of 24 players =D

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    What does posting here have to do with how people post in the game? I curse like a sailor in a number of places but have no issue restraining myself in game or around children.
    I understand that and you do too but does everyone else who seems to run right along with this without thinking about it?

- - - Updated - - -

While I understand that is your opinion based on what I have seen you would be silenced for having it inside world of warcraft after this change goes live due to Profanity being against Code of conduct.
    And I'd be smart enough to not have that happen, so where's the problem here exactly? I can count the number of times I've used strong words to describe strangers in open chat in-game on 1 hand.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2016-07-12 at 11:56 PM.

Pretty much this:

- - - Updated - - -

Yah I don't think blizzards going be able to keep up with all the people reporting each other just to get revenge. It will be the same now just because the volume will be really high unless they are just going to blanket silence everyone that gets reported.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ipaq View Post
    No, the problem is that it is a robot that will police that griefing tools (no matter what blizzard says) and a GM will only get involved when you protest getting silenced.

Instead of having a real GM telling the entitled little brat to use /ignore if he cannot take handle the words.
    I wasn't pointing out what the problem is in this post. I was pointing out the other arguments they made. But you can read a few posts back if you want to see what I had to say about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    Hilarious. No really, this is good stuff!
    Yep, denying facts is all the rage! XD

Yah I don't think blizzards going be able to keep up with all the people reporting each other just to get revenge. It will be the same now just because the volume will be really high unless they are just going to blanket silence everyone that gets reported.
    I hope not but who knows really. I guess it depends on how much you trust blizzard always does things the way they say they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Collie View Post
    Players will only be silenced after an investigation by Blizzard, so I tend to think that the possibilities for abuse are fairly low.

I'm really excited for this.
    Low? Unless you've been under a rock, blizzard and their staff have shown they're going pg/sjw/overboard with policing speech. Plus the rules contradict themselves. They need to figure their shit out before they launch this.

Silenced Players Are Unable to:
    Talk in Instance Chat (Raid, Party, and Battlegrounds)
    Silenced Players Are Able to:
    Party/Raid Chat (with Invited Players)

????

Quote Originally Posted by deviantcultist View Post
    I am really fond of this feature as long as it does not get abused. For example, having people conspire to harrass another player to silence him on purpose etc.
    Would they not themselves get silenced as well?

Knowing blizz? they'll blanket silence people. Then again, depending on your sever, GM's might not give a shit.

I wonder if Goldshire Moon Guard would fall under this >_>
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jibberbox85 View Post
    If that's the case, why did Blizzard wait 10 years to implement such a good quality system?

Edit: I also don't see how this new implementation is some kind of ground break technology that was just recently discovered.
    There was a culture at Blizzard where people were thought to be able to police themselves, and they didn't want to spend the money, man power, and effort to police gamers. NOW, as it stands, gamers are being mentioned in the news. Gamers are being mentioned in social circles of ALL AGES. The developers of these titles have kids, and they see what a toxic mess it is after doing it for 20 years. Since gaming has gone so mainstream, it is now on Blizzard to clean up the mess. Their STOCK PRICE and PR VALUE is now on the line. They can no longer ignore trolls, miscreants, idiots, and bigots. They must be shown the door for them to be considered a VALUED company among the FINANCIAL community.

So, bottom line, b/c some people will argue: ITS ABOUT MONEY. Take out the trash, you get profits. Don't take out the trash, and you get crapped on by the public and media.
    #SargerasIsComingToSaveUs

Quote Originally Posted by Leyl View Post
    There was a culture at Blizzard where people were thought to be able to police themselves, and they didn't want to spend the money, man power, and effort to police gamers. NOW, as it stands, gamers are being mentioned in the news. Gamers are being mentioned in social circles of ALL AGES. The developers of these titles have kids, and they see what a toxic mess it is after doing it for 20 years. Since gaming has gone so mainstream, it is now on Blizzard to clean up the mess. Their STOCK PRICE and PR VALUE is now on the line. They can no longer ignore trolls, miscreants, idiots, and bigots. They must be shown the door for them to be considered a VALUED company among the FINANCIAL community.

So, bottom line, b/c some people will argue: ITS ABOUT MONEY. Take out the trash, you get profits. Don't take out the trash, and you get crapped on by the public and media.
    I love how being a "wimpy little bitch" is a totally fine.

Oh wait, it is now the majority of players.