Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I was kinda glad when Aeris died. She annoyed the hell out of me. I was always more of a Tifa fanboy.
    These parts belong to team Yuffie!

I really dislike the chibi art style in FF9, and well... the story.... and well.... a lot of stuff.... it was a 'fun' final fantasy... but well...

the only thing i remember enjoying about it is Melodies of Life... and thats not because of the game...

its because when I went back to listening to final fantasy music a few years after... i found it...

and i was able to grasp the words a bit better (it helped without the childish figures distracting me too)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Well, the whole theory/interpretation isn't that it's purely Jenova, but sort of how Jenova and Sephiroth merged in a sense. Over the 5 years between Nibelheim and the game events, they've sort of become a merged personality. JENOVAroth or SephiNOVA, I guess.

Maybe the remake will solidify it once and for all with exactly what the creators had in mind for it.
    Now that I like even better. Look what happened with Cloud and Tifa when they fell in the Lifestream; Tifa entered Cloud's consciousness. Sephiroth fell in with part of Jenova, both in his hand and in his body. Maybe he did take a part of Jenova into his mind, like her desire to consume the planet and all that. I've always wondered why Sephiroth wanted to become a god, and inheriting some of her thoughts would explain that.

As for changes I hope come to the remake's story, just...this:

Aerith's line. Right. Friggen there. 1:50 if the embed didn't work right.

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post

I really dislike the chibi art style in FF9, and well... the story.... and well.... a lot of stuff.... it was a 'fun' final fantasy... but well...

the only thing i remember enjoying about it is Melodies of Life... and thats not because of the game...

its because when I went back to listening to final fantasy music a few years after... i found it...

and i was able to grasp the words a bit better (it helped without the childish figures distracting me too)
    Wasn't cool enough for you edge lord?

Hate to break it to you but that's what FF was before they decided to go full emo teenager in 7, 8, 10 and 13.

The "fun" light hearted FFs make up the vast majority of the franchise, and built it. As someone who grew up on them 7 and 8 where total cringe fests in comparison. Then again I wasn't a typical teenager feeling angst against the world while playing them /shrug

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post

Hate to break it to you but that's what FF was before they decided to go full emo teenager in 7, 8, 10 and 13.

The "fun" light hearted FFs make up the vast majority of the franchise, and built it. As someone who grew up on them 7 and 8 where total cringe fests in comparison. Then again I wasn't a typical teenager feeling angst against the world while playing them /shrug
    They removed all the 'fun' from those games to use in Kingdom Hearts. It worked.

Totally agree with the OP. I love FF7 but really did not have any idea about the story when I was young. I think I had to look up wikipedia or ffwikia to understand to plot.

Really surprising to me that the most of the comments in this thread talking about FF9 are harshing on it in some way, shape, or form when its narrative and characters are some of the strongest and best written out of the entire Final Fantasy franchise. It's pretty much their magnum opus as far as storytelling goes. Amano really knocked it out of the park with the art, as well, even if it wasn't edgy, grim, and dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    They removed all the 'fun' from those games to use in Kingdom Hearts. It worked.
    Did you just play KH1?

Because after that KH pretty much went full edgey/angsty dark story telling. At least I can somewhat tolerate it in the KH games as the disney characters and music do a good job of distracting you from it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you just play KH1?

Because after that KH pretty much went full edgey/angsty dark story telling. At least I can somewhat tolerate it in the KH games as the disney characters and music do a good job of distracting you from it.
    The cool thing about Kingdom Hearts is duality of it all. Its a story about Light and Darkness, and the story has some very light and dark moments. Its just so...meta.

What? 10 was emo teenager? I guess I missed that in the ten+ times I've completed the game.

Considering 9 had elements of genocide, weapons of mass destruction, racial purity, and world-wide destruction, I'm not sure if you're using the phrase correctly.

I wouldn't even say 7 was "emo" as an entire game. Just certain characters. Same with 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    What?

No, really. What exactly where the "fun light hearted" FFs before 7? I mean, FF games have always had little bits of humor sprinkled in, sure...but claiming that somehow there's this division between the oldest ones being "light hearted" and the later ones being "emo teenager" is just flatly false.
    Right. 5/6 both have literal "end-of-days" scenarios... in FF4 you literally play as a brooding "Dark Knight" and kill innocent people for your king IIRC. Shit is dark thematically - the color palette is just balanced in a way that it doesn't seem so moody. FF7 does have plenty of bright locations, it's just that Midgar and Nibelhelm are so iconic that they stick into your mind in a way that you forget about many of the other locations.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhymor View Post
    Really surprising to me that the most of the comments in this thread talking about FF9 are harshing on it in some way, shape, or form when its narrative and characters are some of the strongest and best written out of the entire Final Fantasy franchise. It's pretty much their magnum opus as far as storytelling goes. Amano really knocked it out of the park with the art, as well, even if it wasn't edgy, grim, and dark.
    I just don't like 9 personally. Could never get into it and enjoy it like 7 and 8. I liked the style of it and the music but just kept stopping at around Disc 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    What?

No, really. What exactly where the "fun light hearted" FFs before 7? I mean, FF games have always had little bits of humor sprinkled in, sure...but claiming that somehow there's this division between the oldest ones being "light hearted" and the later ones being "emo teenager" is just flatly false.
    Dark overtones where always greatly drowned out by overwhelming hope and light hearted fantasy humor in FF games prior to VII. You would know this if you played them.

A game can have a dark overtone and still be light hearted, Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door says hi.

Hell the new game Tokyo Mirage Sessions that came out is a literal "end of days" story as you guys want to put it and is as light hearted and up beat as an RPG can be. You guys are really grasping at straws pulling out minor points while discarding the entire picture. That is typical of FFVII fandom though...

7+ Year Old Account
    Dark overtones where always greatly drowned out by overwhelming hope and light hearted fantasy humor in FF games prior to VII. You would know this if you played them.
    I dunno...as a kid 6 was pretty relentless from the outset and only got more grim as the game went on. There was humour in it sure; but even when the game ended and "things are looking up" the world was still in ruins.