... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Goodbye Trade Chat my old friend.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheze View Post
    tbh

we have lived the 'wild wild west' approach to ingame toxicity for a decade+; I think we can say conclusively that it sucks. People don't get banned for saying stupid shit in tradechat, or else we wouldn't have the tradechat that we have. Bring on the authoritarian approach I say, let's see how that goes for a while.

if you're the type that just can't help themselves flying off the handle at people when they don't play well (as opposed just dropping group if it's that bad), I don't particularly care what happens to you
    And back in the day, with my first account I got banned 24 hours for using a speed hack in-game. Then got a 72 hours for saying f* words in trade chat. My final blow came from another harassement in-game and now my primary account has been banned for 8 years. Now-day you can say whatever you want and expect nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    So you broke the rules (you might think they are stupid but you agreed to them) and it is someone else's fault you were banned?
    I said what the f.

Does f have to mean fuck of could it mean fudge or flippin' heck? I didn't say fu&#k. Just "f"

If thats enough to get me banned from the forums for a couple of days then people are going to be silenced forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    Oh pish.
    You knew exactly what you meant, the Moderator knew exactly what you meant. The fact you are trying to argue about this, shows that you are completely unrepentant, thus the ban was warranted. Trying to argue semantics is incredibly petty in the least. You got banned for a valid reason. Don't like it? Don't use their forums.
    I'm sort of fine with it. But its a really low bar.

How would you felt if you got banned for saying pish? We know what naughty word you're really saying after all.

Is it OTT or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    I said what the f.

Does f have to mean fuck of could it mean fudge or flippin' heck? I didn't say fu&#k. Just "f"

If thats enough to get me banned from the forums for a couple of days then people are going to be silenced forever.
    And? If you had meant any of those words why not just type them instead of "f"? You know to avoid any confusion and the possibility of a ban?

You went into a thread and posted a post which broke the rules, no-one forced you do this, but rather than acknowledge you paid the price for your own actions (if you thought the thread was pointless surely the best course of action is to close it not post in it?) you try to deflect the blame.

If people don't learn their lesson after first few times then I guess they will be silenced for ever. I fail to see how this is bad thing.

Deleted
    What odds can I get on HeelvsBabyface being the first shit-talker extraordinaire silenced?

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    If people don't learn their lesson after first few times then I guess they will be silenced for ever. I fail to see how this is bad thing.
    I think his issue is that people who are overly sensitive may be able to use the system to force a community which is afraid to be honest with one another for fear of censorship. I don't think it'll be that drastic, but I can definitely understand the sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by zcrooked View Post
    Would you do this in real life ? No. then don't do it on the internet. Common sense.
    I'm the same person online I am in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    I think his issue is that people who are overly sensitive may be able to use the system to force a community which is afraid to be honest with one another for fear of censorship. I don't think it'll be that drastic, but I can definitely understand the sentiment.
    You can be honest with people without insulting them, the majority of people playing this game are adults they should not need Blizzard to teach them this. If parts of the community feel that they will be subject to censorship then perhaps they should think about the manner in which they communicate with others?

How people seem to be so melodramatic over this, I have no idea, and it seems people are just trying to escalate it into more than it is over some "But the community!" nonsense, when in reality, they just don't want to be told off for posting "Anal ****" 'jokes' all the time.
    I guess it's just the feeling that "Big Brother" is watching them.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drusyn View Post
    I'm the same person online I am in real life.
    My message was not directly fowarded to you but the population in general. Don't take it so personal.

but we need more people like you.

But..but..don;t you understand? Dirge joke, Anal jokes, and spamming "If it is invincible, how can we see it?" all day then insulting and flaming is all just "banter" and part of a wonderful community within the game!

Oh wait...
    It actually is pretty funny. Not the jokes themselves, but people's reactions are. I'm an infamous invincible joke spammer on my server.

But..but..don;t you understand? Dirge joke, Anal jokes, and spamming "If it is invincible, how can we see it?" all day then insulting and flaming is all just "banter" and part of a wonderful community within the game!

Oh wait...
    True, but you forgot that the wonderful community needs to be able to offer constructive criticism to, well, anyone. /sarcasm
    Last edited by Pann; 2016-07-13 at 12:26 PM.

Pish isn't a swear word, and saying "Get the f out" is an obvious attempt to circumnavigate the swear filter as they said. Nothing low bar about it. Basically, if it gets beeped via the swear filter, then it isn't allowed on forums, and attempting to find a way around it is a bannable offence.
    No idea why people are trying to be so melodramatic about this. You can appeal bans, you can do everything, and it isn't an insta-ban for first offence, it will take multiple reports over a period of time before you even get hit by the first ban.
    All in all, it seems a good system, and is being monitored by humans, not machine, so seems to be valid.
    But as usual, people will find a way to moan about them being allowed to do what they think they are allowed to do :S
    It literally means piss

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pish

From the ToS

This category includes both clear and masked language in posts, signatures, and/or links to websites containing such language or images which:

Are an inappropriate reference to human anatomy or bodily functions

Sure its ok under the ToS? Catch them on a bad day and you're silenced.

But that is the key point though, Big Brother *is* watching them, in the fact that this isn't a free game world to act with impunity, but a moderated and controlled world we just licence usage in. You aren't free to act as you like in WoW, and people do have the choice to just hit the "unsub" button and walk away from it if they do not agree, but under no circumstances should the game change out of some misguided "but muh freedoms!" nonsense.
    And the dissenting opinion is whether the Big Brother watching us is being maintained by real human beings with the capacity to rationalize individual situations or by an automated algorithm which simply identifies certain words on a scale of naughtiness. While it's easy to just say, "Don't be toxic," there's sometimes shades of grey where people are using colorful language but not necessarily trying to be offensive. In all likelihood, this won't be too much of an issue for most people but I can completely understand why some people would be concerned with it.

Constructive criticism will be completely allowed? People seem to however think "Stfu you noob" is constructive though. And it can also be argued that you shouldn't be allowed to offer criticism should Blizzard not allow it. Ultimately, it comes again down to Blizzards game, Blizzards rules. People need to just accept this, and either move with it, or just unsub.
    I was being sarcastic. I probably should have been clearer.

Constructive criticism will be completely allowed? People seem to however think "Stfu you noob" is constructive though. And it can also be argued that you shouldn't be allowed to offer criticism should Blizzard not allow it. Ultimately, it comes again down to Blizzards game, Blizzards rules. People need to just accept this, and either move with it, or just unsub.

- - - Updated - - -

You used Urbandictionary? Dear God...do they also mention Pish is also an archaic English word for nonsense or to offer disdain? You cannot genuinely be attempting to use UrbanDictionary as a valid argumentative point? Also, you have to build up multiple offences in order for the silence to start to take affect, not just once or twice, and it is also appealable.

Seriously, you are grasping at straws now, really. Just let your already weak argument go.
    Oh sure, just like faggot is an archaic word to describe a piece of wood.

7+ Year Old Account
    Oh please why do you even need ignore? Just because someone is saying something retarded or omg hurt your precious "feelings".
    I´m such a special snowflake pls Blizz protect me from this harsh and mean people who said something i don´t like.
    And that´s what this whole fucking system is going to become a feast for everyone to report people which disagre with them or gasp even have a different opinon then them ( and please spare me the whole :"But that´s not how it will be" crap because tha´s what it will used for and excessivley so).

Blizzard even said though, the reports are moderated, which means a human will look into it, and all bans are appeallable.
    Also, if someone cannot get a point across without resorting to harsh or offensive language, even jokingly, in a public channel, then maybe they shouldn't be using the public channel.
    What Blizzard says and what actually happens may be different. They can say all reports are primed by people but there's no way to know whether it is. And there's additionally no way to know exactly how much context the people reviewing the reports will receive. If you only get one line of text and it's taken completely out of context, it'd be pretty easy to unfairly slap a chat restriction on the player when what they said really didn't warrant the punishment. I understand you can appeal but I think the concern is whether such a process ultimately has a negative effect on the nature of the community since we may all become more consciously aware that anything we say may be used against us.

7+ Year Old Account
    I hope it fixes the spammers and those abusing chat. Just need to make sure Blizz has the staff to work this and handle exceptions.