Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Guess SWTOR is going to the spindle. SSD space is precious and WoW > everything.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IKT View Post
    yeah got a 120gb ssd, windows takes up a good chunk, wow the rest, nothing else installed on it.

Had to go searching around for files to delete.
    Mines a 240GB with only Blizzard games on it. Once Legion is released and I uninstall beta, I'll have a good amount of free space though.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    I have seen advertisements for services capped as low as 10gb in a month.
    "unlimited" is not perhaps as common as some would like to believe it is.
    I understand the US can have it bad with internet access.

British Telecom for instance have 2 ADSL packages openly advertised on their website with 12 and 25gb monthly caps.
    wow that sucks, Glad i ain't with BT

Quote Originally Posted by chipwood View Post
    If you don't want to download it, you can always buy the disks.
    Its become more common practice to store part of the data on disk and let the rest be downloaded due to patches

Quote Originally Posted by Rehok View Post
    wow that sucks, Glad i ain't with BT

Its become more common practice to store part of the data on disk and let the rest be downloaded due to patches
    They do unlimited packages too, just highlighting that there are still packages with rather stingy caps.
    Some players for isntance may be children or othewise living with parents.
    And therefore not in full control of money or the services that they have.

The discs are produced at quite an early point.
    It isn't a case of intentionally giving you only part, but that distribution etc takes time.
    Therefore they are likely already out of date before even the retailers get them.
    So they always need patched.

They certainly will contain a large portion of it, so will help reduce download size/time requirements if you are slower speeds.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

7+ Year Old Account
    OP is a whiny baby, I hope Blizz doesn't take feedback from people like you that complain about content. Leave WoW and never come back please.

My Live client is 49.3GB, my beta client is 39.8GB, obviously beta is missing the cut scene videos and cinematic files so it should be about the same size or smaller than the WoD.

Since this thread is still going and I was on the OP's side I decided to do some digging.

A fresh install of 7.0 on PTR is 35GB
    A copied install (Data Folder) of 7.0 on PTR from LIVE with 7.0 Background Finished is 48GB

What is interesting here is that it is very hard to tell if the reason the LIVE Version is bigger is because of Encryption Methods or if it is a simple case of something going horribly wrong.

Either way, if the extra 13GB is needed for something, in my case it is needed to keep the SSD running at below 50% Usage, making it faster, then I would recommend backing up your main WoW Data Folder and, UPON THE RELEASE OF 7.0, using the PTR Data Folder in its place.

The Bold, Italic, Underlined Part is super fucking important, otherwise the game will not work, I am not even sure if it will work at all because the build on live is typically different than the one present on PTR. Nonetheless, I hope this helped someone, anyone really.

There is FAR more voice acting in Legion than normal for WoW. That is probably a big part of it.
    Furthermore, I consider that China must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyresias View Post
    Please don't say 2006 you're insulting my old pentium 4 which has 2 hdds one 40gb and 1 80gb(granted i havent started it in a long time aka like 2 years but i know the old bastard still works) and i can prolly install wow on the 80gb and it would still work(and run like crap)
    In the meantime my current pc(up for a full change in 2 weeks finally) is a core 2 duo at 4.2ghz with 4gb of ddr2 1033 freq(yeah i know this is crap but i have an 8gb stick running in ready boost for page fileing) and my old t/rusty radeon 4870 1gb(which i'm keeping with the new pc as a placeholder till the winter when the new amd vega cards and nvidia flagships cpme out) and 2x sata 2 500gb hdds(and an external 3tb cause the fk not) still dont care about this prepatch so yeah the op is blowing smoke out of his... IF his ssd really is that full then goddam move it to your hdd.(sorry for the mixed in offtopic but i had to)

Edit: Forgot to mention the current pc was made in dec 2007 with the gpu from spring/summer 2008 if i remember right.
    LOL nice! Honestly I should have just mentioned my Core 2 duo ... remember the Conroe (I believe that's right) 6000 series... YEAH BABY massive power....that system has 4 GB of RAM too...btw I'm reminding myself with this post "why is that computer still sitting collecting dust in my closet?" I probably should recycle soon.

Anyway I started on a Commodore Vic 20 (when they were brand new) and still remember my first 386 and my first 40 MEG not GIG...MEG hard drive...and thinking "Wow (no pun intended to the game) I'll NEVER fill that!!"..

lol

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    Since this thread is still going and I was on the OP's side I decided to do some digging.

A fresh install of 7.0 on PTR is 35GB
    A copied install (Data Folder) of 7.0 on PTR from LIVE with 7.0 Background Finished is 48GB

What is interesting here is that it is very hard to tell if the reason the LIVE Version is bigger is because of Encryption Methods or if it is a simple case of something going horribly wrong.

Either way, if the extra 13GB is needed for something, in my case it is needed to keep the SSD running at below 50% Usage, making it faster, then I would recommend backing up your main WoW Data Folder and, UPON THE RELEASE OF 7.0, using the PTR Data Folder in its place.

The Bold, Italic, Underlined Part is super fucking important, otherwise the game will not work, I am not even sure if it will work at all because the build on live is typically different than the one present on PTR. Nonetheless, I hope this helped someone, anyone really.
    I remember seeing a bluepost about adequate size of Live client + future patch data and it's ~49GB. So that's fine.
    Last edited by ls-; 2016-07-13 at 04:16 PM.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chipwood View Post
    If you don't want to download it, you can always buy the disks.
    That would take 13,889 1.44MB disks :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MrKnubbles View Post
    Once Legion is released and I uninstall beta, I'll have a good amount of free space though.
    I feel you, I currently have WoW, WoW PTR, WoW Beta, HotS, HotS PTR, Diablo III and Starcraft 2 in my Blizzard folder, it's threatening to hulk out of the C: and start punching the E: and F:!

Deleted
    SSD storage is a luxury that blizzard should not give a shit about as long as HDD are so damn cheap

QQ for the sake of QQ

I just saw it too and OMG 852 hours to download it. My netzero plan is only free for 10 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    the LIVE Version is bigger is because of Encryption Methods or if it is a simple case of something going horribly wrong.
    Those 13 GB are junk left after upgrade of 6.x live version to 7.0.

WoW installation can only grow, as there is no defragmenter tool for the installation.

Quote Originally Posted by glorygores View Post
    I built a tower pc for gaming for just under 600$ that will run Legion 80+ fps easily. I am a low income ( zero ) gamer who goes to school fulltime. $400-500$ can easily build a capable rig. All it takes is some handiwork and research.
    If you don't have the know-how and/or the time the price goes up substantially.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    I feel you, I currently have WoW, WoW PTR, WoW Beta, HotS, HotS PTR, Diablo III and Starcraft 2 in my Blizzard folder, it's threatening to hulk out of the C: and start punching the E: and F:!
    I uninstalled all of my PTR stuff too. I refuse to put my games on anything but C: though.
    Last edited by MrKnubbles; 2016-07-14 at 02:23 PM.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

Quote Originally Posted by Pantalaimon View Post
    Youtube videos aren't hard. Read reddit threads. WAtch youtube. If you're willing to put in the time to research it's really easy to see that its not that HARD. You should be willing to put in time if you're spending anything above 100$ on anything. But I guess that comes down to more about principles on efficient money expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantalaimon View Post
    Computers are just fancy legos. All you need to do is research compatibility, buy the stuff, then plug them in. My know-how is Google, Reddit, Amazon, and Newegg.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    I just saw it too and OMG 852 hours to download it. My netzero plan is only free for 10 hours.
    so maybe invest those 10 dollars a month into internet that isnt a potato instead spending it on 2-3 beers

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Those 13 GB are junk left after upgrade of 6.x live version to 7.0.

WoW installation can only grow, as there is no defragmenter tool for the installation.
    A defragmenter wouldn't help, anyway.

Blizzard very much is cleaning up the install from time to time, though.