Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Exclamation Russian athlete branded a 'traitor' over plans to compete under neutral flag in Rio

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...nded-a-traitor

Russian athlete Darya Klishina has been widely criticised after she agreed to compete under a neutral flag at next month’s Olympics, a move which could make her one of Russia’s only track-and-field athletes not banned due to a national doping scandal.

Social media denounced the long jumper as a “traitor” a
    fter she thanked her sponsors and coaches for their support and expressed gratitude to the International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF) for allowing her to compete.

The IAAF reportedly rejected bids from 67 Russian athletes who applied for individual dispensation to bypass the blanket ban imposed on Russia’s athletics team for massive “state-sponsored” doping, but found that the US-based Klishina could demonstrate she was clean.

Klishina still needs approval from the International Olympic Committee, as does 800-metre runner Yulia Stepanova, the whistleblower whose allegations about cheating in Russian athletics were initially ignored but subsequently snowballed into one of the biggest scandals to hit Russian sport.

On the 10 July, Klishina wrote on Facebook that she is “really happy” to be allowed to compete. The post was met with messages of support as well as a barrage of accusations of treachery.

The Argumenty I Fakty newspaper aggregated some examples of the biting reaction from social networks in a piece titled One Against All. How Athlete Darya Klishina Became An ‘Enemy Of The People’.

“Not a word about the other Russian athletes, although you’re the only one who got a green light for Rio from the IAAF. Where’s the solidarity?” the newspaper quoted a man named Aleksandr Agafanov as saying.

On the 11 July, popular Kremlin pool journalist Dmitry Smirnov compared Klishina’s action to that of Soviets who collaborated with the Nazis after being tempted by promises of instant gratification: “Hot food, rest, and medical attention await you in German captivity!” he wrote on Twitter.

Vladimir Markin, the spokesman for Russia’s Federal Investigative Committee, wrote sarcastically about the hopeful Olympic pair, linking their names to Grigory Rodchenkov, the former head of the Russian doping lab who fled to the United States, where he alleged details of a Russian state cover-up to suppress systematic doping and cheating.

“A ‘worthy’ team is being assembled... Stepanova, Klishina... And Grigory Rodchenkov will be appointed coach-consultant,” Markin wrote on Twitter.
    Further bans?

Responding to the backlash, Klishina defended her decision to compete as a neutral athlete, but said she had been deeply affected by the criticism.

“To be honest, things were much more peaceful before today’s situation. I would be happy if all of us had been allowed to compete,” she said.

“But now I am under pressure and heightened attention, which is not always affirmative and positive. So, currently, the situation for me is much worse than it was yesterday.”

Wow. How do you feel about this?
    Is competing at the Olympics really worth betraying your country?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post

Is competing at the Olympics really worth betraying your country's corrupt athletic association?
    Fixed that for you.

I agree with Tennisace, we should euthanize Darya Klishina.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yrrolock View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    So if you desert from your army, you're just betraying the corrupt military?

If I were her I'd check my food with a geiger counter from now on.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    So if you desert from your army, you're just betraying the corrupt military?
    If the military is corrupt and making you kill civilians and children, do you stay in order "not to betray your country"?
    I guess Finn was traitorous scum after all

I'd rather compete under a neutral flag than for Russia... even without the drugs scandal.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

They should just remove all flags from the Olympics period. It's supposed to be about sports after all, not nationalistic dick waving.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    If I were her I'd check my food with a geiger counter from now on.

Wasn't that guy shot with some improvised weapon made to fit into an umbrella?

I've read the comments there. There's indeed a massive wave of criticism coming from overly-patriotic low-intelligence folk, however there is also a fair amount of normal people who support her.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sheggaro View Post
    Wasn't that guy shot with some improvised weapon made to fit into an umbrella?
    That was Georgi Markov, not Litvinenko.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgi_Markov

Deleted
    If I had spent my entire teenage and adult life preparing to compete in sports events, there's no way I would miss out on the biggest of them all just because of my country's corruption. They're 4 years apart, most athletes are lucky to attend one or two in their lifetime.

She'll probably be mugged/killed in Rio.. so all in all..
    Money talks, bullshit walks..

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    They should just remove all flags from the Olympics period. It's supposed to be about sports after all, not nationalistic dick waving.
    And then they wouldn't even reach 1% of the viewership they have today. No money, no point.

Pretty sure Putin himself will take this one down in Rio.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Is competing at the Olympics really worth betraying your country?
    The country bettayed them first. There is a long history of althletes competing under any flag that will let them.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    I believe there is a market for nationalist dick waving and it seems to be quite lucrative.

Quote Originally Posted by yrrolock View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    How about corrupt world's athletic associations? They are probably clear, right? Ase we all know western people are not lying, not searching for individual profit in every aspect of life and doing everything only for the good of the world. Grow up, child.

Her entire federation was banned. 2 athletes survived the purge. Why would she want to be 1 of 2 walking into that stadium knowing full well everyone watching will suspect her of cheating just because that flag.

Deleted
    So who's the biggest troll on MMO. Tennisass or Jaybait?

Infracted - minor spam
    Last edited by Crissi; 2016-07-13 at 05:14 PM.