Thread: No Man's Sky

I would guess RANDOMLY meeting someone is pretty rare.

I have no source for it and might jsut be a feeling or rumor I heard at some point, but there may be a chance to sort of mark planets. Like if it is rich with resources, other players may be able detect that mark of yours and come there. If anyone can confirm this, I'd be happy to know.

Besides. I think they will delay the game again and again until Playstation 4.5 + Playstation VR is released, then they will finally release No Man's Sky and call it a main game for Playstation 4.5 VR. Mark my words. Marketing-wise this is the best they can do.
    You can print this post as an story from a prophet, and see by yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Karon View Post
    It would be unrealistic if there was another intelligent species in existence at the same time as humans.
    I see it as Unrealistic to believe there is no other intelligent species at the same time as humans. Heck, they already have a few in the hubs from what someone else said. With the nearly infinite amount of stars in no man's sky, it simply is unfeasible that No other intelligent species are to be found anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaughty8 View Post
    There are ways to meet with friends and people will find out how to meet other players. Stop saying stupid things like "you will never meet anyone" because we all know people will race to the center of the galaxy and there there will be alot of people fighting over sectors just like in EvE Online. You will see.
    You can have billions of stars but whu cares aobut the outer galaxy areas? people will race to the center, the amount of stars there is much smaller.
    So don't listen to the guys who say "the chances of meeting someone are lottery-like", you will see by yourself that people will meet and interact, especially in the center of the galaxy, which is the endgame.
    Wellllll....

Space is REALLY big, and half the point of NMS seems to be to replicate that. Unlike EVE there will be more than enough space for pretty much everyone (on Earth). Star systems are REALLY big. Also remember there is more than one galaxy.

That said, I don't think it would be that hard to go to the same place as your friend if you are relatively close to each other. Just meet up at a space station.
    Shhhhh, she's doing magical trig bullshit trig substitutions

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughty8 View Post
    I'am 100% sure there will be another delay when they discover "omg Legion is being released August 30th... "
    They could care less, it is all about getting pre-orders. $60 a pop..

I still haven´t seen anything resembling a game

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    They could care less, it is all about getting pre-orders. $60 a pop.. I still haven´t seen anything resembling a game
    I am pretty sure Sony cares. They have sunk a lot of money into the project. While they are a large company and could easily absorb the loss I am sure they still care about losing their investment and potentially being on the hook for lawsuits and the like.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Deleted
    Some money yes....huge amount....no

Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    They could care less, it is all about getting pre-orders. $60 a pop..

I still haven´t seen anything resembling a game
    Ah, PC gamer who doesn't realize the vast majority of preorders(console) generate exactly 0 revenue until the game is actually paid for at release date.

The world doesn't revolve around steam, nor do the majority of store fronts charge you before a game is actually shipped to you, picked up in store or ready to pre load(in the case of console digital preorders).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    I am pretty sure Sony cares. They have sunk a lot of money into the project. While they are a large company and could easily absorb the loss I am sure they still care about losing their investment and potentially being on the hook for lawsuits and the like.
    Sony has sunk a little bit money into marketing for it. Certainly not into the game itself. It's still a damn indy game made by a handful of people that Sony is trying to use their marketing muscle to make people believe is an AAA production.

If you think Sony sank "a lot" of money into it that's pretty foolish. Considering the marketing pushes they usually give their major releases a long with their astronomical development budgets this game is a drop in the bucket for Sony. Sony is really only providing marketing help and publishing the physical PS4 versions. If Sony literally funded the entire game it would not be on PC, and they would own the IP not Hello Games.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2016-05-31 at 07:06 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    If you think Sony sank "a lot" of money into it that's pretty foolish.
    I guess a lot is subjective. But there has been a pretty big marketing campaign for this game. They even made talk show rounds. Like I said they could easily absorb the loss but it is hardly a small amount. https://www.vg247.com/2015/05/14/son...party-release/ indicates that the UK boss of PlayStation said they are treating it as if it was one of their own studios and has the full weight of PlayStation behind it.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Apparently the game has been in court over it's name, SkyTV were trying to sue them because they used the word Sky, would not be surprised if this was the cause of the delay.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post
    Apparently the game has been in court over it's name, SkyTV were trying to sue them because they used the word Sky, would not be surprised if this was the cause of the delay.
    Sky should be made to pay out a billion because of a frivolous lawsuit. I've never heard of a more asinine thing than suing someone for the name "No Man's Sky" when you've taken the word "Sky" for yourself.

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/743928033942315009

They kept the name though. The people over at Sky are just complete and utter douchebags.

10+ Year Old Account
    How it even went to court is beyond me. Completely different demographic as well(Those who are supposed to watch SkyTV). Some of these court cases are pathetic.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Remember when OneDrive was called SkyDrive? Yeah, same people involved with that change. Microsoft lost their case.

Deleted
    I'm amazed Skype hasn't had to change it's name to Nope.

Meanwhile EMI are considering suing Sky, since the sky is where Lucy lives with her diamonds.

No Man's Sky: burning questions, answered by PC Gamer

TL;DR
    • Entire game Universe will take up only 6 gb of space
    • Will contain 18 quintillion (18,446,744,073,709,551,616, to be precise) procedurally generated "planet sized" planets.
    • Mostly a single player game where another player might join in from time to time.
    • Can be played offline but discoveries won't be shared until you go online.
    • Earn money by discovering new planets and mining planets/asteroids. Use the money to upgrade space suit/ship.
    • Certain planets require upgraded suit/ship to explore.
    • Encounter alien races and learn their language through monoliths.
    • Combat space pirates.
    • No Fetch quests or missions.
    • There is world building and lore but no real story.
    • Updates more applicable to the game than content DLC. First update already being worked on.

10+ Year Old Account
    The burning question is none of those. It's what is the purpose?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    To relax and explore? I don't get why people always have a hard time with the purpose of this game or require it to have a purpose other then relax and explore.

Like all other open world games,

because

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    To relax and explore? I don't get why people always have a hard time with the purpose of this game or require it to have a purpose other then relax and explore.
    Explore and relax? Pokemon Go has that covered and it's free.

It depends. According to the description of the game, the purpose is to have fun by exploring the planets, scanning, upgrading your gear, helping or destroying local civilizations, pirates, traders and again...explore. You can set your goal to reach the center of the galaxy or just explore one planet and be done with the game. Basically - booring stuff. I have real life to explore, not games.

The marketing for this game was very small, because there is nothing to show. Yes, there are many planets but it doesn't matter, because these are constantly procedurally generated areas. I honestly don't care if there are 10 or 100 or 18 quintillion planets...this number means nothing to me and doesn't work on my imagination, because I won't be able to land on 99,999999999999999% of these so why should I care at all. They spam about this big number but seriusly...nobody should care, because it's not the measure of fun. The game would be much better and more fun with as many systems as EvE + MMO systems and features. Now it's 99% single-player explore a few of 18 quintillion planets...thats it.

Some players overhyped themselves and will be disappointed.

I am honestly on the boat with many very popular streamers saying: "it's a game which everybody will love on the first day, and a few days later they will get bored or just forget about the game, of course some will play it for weeks just to earn money while pretending to be having a good time".