View Poll Results: Release classic servers?

Voters
1829. This poll is closed
  • Yes

916 50.08%
  • No!

913 49.92%
Page 44 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I want to see them release classic servers not because I want to play them, but because I'm interested to see how many people would actually play them over an extended period of time v. how many people will play for a while get bored and quit. Part of the reason I believe Nostalrius was so popular was because it was free.

Deleted
    I definitely want Legacy, but the optimal solution would be improved Legacy fixing the worst parts and most frustrating things.

That comes down to opinion though so it makes it so hard. As many million people that play wow there is, there's the same amount of opinions. Therefore probably the safest option is to keep it "pure" vanilla and suffer the worst aspects with it as a necessary evil.

Deleted
    We definitely DON'T need servers of when the game was in its shittiest state ever.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    We definitely DON'T need servers of when the game was in its shittiest state ever.
    You can share your opinion with yourself in your garrison. Don't force yourself to connect with other people, it makes no sense.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
    You can share your opinion with yourself in your garrison. Don't force yourself to connect with other people, it makes no sense.
    I have the opinion of the majority. Don't like it? Too bad.

Anyone who wants to see the game when it was in its shittiest state ever can just hit the subscribe button.

7+ Year Old Account
    I have the opinion of the majority. Don't like it? Too bad.
    You just said that you share the opinion with the majority. Do you realize how stupid that is?

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    It's both reasons. One, they don't want to support and develop two games. Two, it is a lot of money to do. It's not cheap or easy.

I've never said classic is awful that I can remember, but I did point out that there are a lot of things about it that we seem to forget as the years pass by because that is human nature. It's our nature to gloss over the past and remember it as a "better time" even when reality says something different.
    It's neither, Blizzard is a business company, its existent is to generate profits, making a legacy server would be a thing if it can generate same amount of money as live server, the 'cost' will then be irrelevant, splitting the wow pop into 2 - legacy and live, will be the end of wow, let's say 20% would jump on legacy and the rest ignores it, you are left with 80% of the current pop, maybe more if you count those who plays 24/7 a day and play on both servers. Those who abandon live and play exclusively on legacy will eventually run out of contents and quit forever, this is why Blizzard avoid this legacy idea, not time consuming or cost related issues.

7+ Year Old Account
    Seems like the community is split on this topic. This just means, that Blizzard needs to make their own opnion. Seems like they are not going make Vanilla servers after all.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    Seems like the community is split on this topic. This just means, that Blizzard needs to make their own opnion. Seems like they are not going make Vanilla servers after all.
    They've already demonstrated/said their opinion quite a few times. Despite all the idiotic insistence to the contrary it would be a lot of time, effort, and resources spent doing something they aren't sure is worth doing. Even if a few of the devs actually enjoy the idea. And by a few I mean none of us know exactly how many support and how gung ho they are to do it other then it's not enough for it to get done. Until something comes along to change that, and if the huge surge in vocalization of support around Nost closing wouldn't do it I don't see anything in the short term that will, it's probably not going to change any time soon.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    They've already demonstrated/said their opinion quite a few times. Despite all the idiotic insistence to the contrary it would be a lot of time, effort, and resources spent doing something they aren't sure is worth doing. Even if a few of the devs actually enjoy the idea. And by a few I mean none of us know exactly how many support and how gung ho they are to do it other then it's not enough for it to get done. Until something comes along to change that, and if the huge surge in vocalization of support around Nost closing wouldn't do it I don't see anything in the short term that will, it's probably not going to change any time soon.
    Sure, Blizzard stated it would be too difficult. It is best to leave these matters to unaffiliated hobbyists who already have prototypes. You know a vanilla server that works, instead of nothing, which is what Blizzard has?

Difficult matters would be no problem for Blizzard 10 years ago, but now with a new idiotic team and a merge with Activision, the stuff of magic no longer happens. See how the spin on the bolded term works? It's justified given that even when paid, Blizzard can't do what others did without pay.

Sad, actually. Very sad.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    Sure, Blizzard stated it would be too difficult. It is best to leave these matters to unaffiliated hobbyists who already have prototypes. You know a vanilla server that works, instead of nothing, which is what Blizzard has?

Difficult matters would be no problem for Blizzard 10 years ago, but now with a new idiotic team and a merge with Activision, the stuff of magic no longer happens. See how the spin on the bolded term works? It's justified given that even when paid, Blizzard can't do what others did without pay.

Sad, actually. Very sad.
    Yeah, because 10 years ago they were pulling resources out of there butt... Really, stop with this "they don't care" BS. It's a first argument each time a dev doesn't do something a user dreams about. Comparing to the gaming scene nowadays, Blizzard cares more than any other company. They do listen to the community. It's not their fault the community is divided as hell. Can you imagine that when they didn't listen to you it basicly means they listened to someone else who keeps an opposing opinion? Or do you think your opinion should be more important to Blizzard than someone else's because reasons?

Sad, actually. Very sad.
    You do realize that Blizzard can't just instal MANGOS POS server emulator and launch vanilla servers on it? Half of the coding on this emulator works via completely retarded wrong code, but it can work for Private servers, but blizzard can't use this, they need to get their 10 y/o backups, recode, launch the servers for this and result will be vanilla servers that will have High population for 1-3 months, with immediate decay to very low amount of nerds playing it? If you think all this people playing private servers like Nostalrius will immediatly subscribe and start paying 15$/month, you're really out of your mind. I'd bet almost anything that atleast 50% of their player base will not subscribe to Blizzard payed servers. I've played Vanilla, i've completed BWL, AQ20/40(No Cthun) and some bosses of Naxx(Anub,Faerlina, Instructor), i was 15 y/o guy in school, and to do SOMETHING worthwile in Vanilla required you to invest INSANE amount of time. 90% of current playerbase woud whine that this game is complete piece of garbage. Yes i have TONS of really cool Vanilla memories, but i really can't understand why woud people want to shatter this nice Vanilla memories of old time with playing Vanilla AFTER seing how every piece of content evolved with time.
    Last edited by iDielord; 2016-07-13 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilija View Post
    Yeah, because 10 years ago they were pulling resources out of there butt... Really, stop with this "they don't care" BS. It's a first argument each time a dev doesn't do something a user dreams about. Comparing to the gaming scene nowadays, Blizzard cares more than any other company. They do listen to the community. It's not their fault the community is divided as hell. Can you imagine that when they didn't listen to you it basicly means they listened to someone else who keeps an opposing opinion? Or do you think your opinion should be more important to Blizzard than someone else's because reasons?
    I never said they don't care. Of course they do. They just lack knowledge and expertise to do much about it, apparently.

Should my opinion matter more than someone elses? Of course not. Neither should yours. The poll is divided. Your assertion to be the majority when you are not is more hostile than much else you said.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by iDielord View Post
    You do realize that Blizzard can't just instal MANGOS POS server emulator and launch vanilla servers on it? Half of the coding on this emulator works via completely retarded wrong code, but it can work for Private servers, but blizzard can't use this, they need to get their 10 y/o backups, recode, launch the servers for this and result will be vanilla servers that will have High population for 1-3 months, with immediate decay to very low amount of nerds playing it? I've played Vanilla, i've completed BWL, AQ20/40(No Cthun) and some bosses of Naxx(Anub,Faerlina, Instructor), i was 15 y/o guy in school, and to do SOMETHING worthwile in Vanilla required you to invest INSANE amount of time. 90% of current playerbase woud whine that this game is complete piece of garbage. Yes i have TONS of really cool Vanilla memories, but i really can't understand why woud people want to shatter this nice Vanilla memories of old time with playing Vanilla AFTER seing how every piece of content evolved with time.
    Thank you for your anecdotal story. Apparently others are different, as life no doubt taught you.

Thank you also for a made up 90% statistic. Whatever baseless drivel helps your argument, as you continue insults against those who enjoy what you do not. Everyone needs to like what you like, now damnit! Sums your posts up nicely.

Thank you for your anecdotal story. Apparently others are different, as life no doubt taught you.

Thank you also for a made up 90% statistic. Whatever baseless drivel helps your argument, as you continue insults against those who enjoy what you do not. Everyone needs to like what you like, now damnit! Sums your posts up nicely.
    Thank you for your good and argumented post, too bad i didn't insulted anyone in mine. You summary is just plain stupid too - i never said people need to like what i like, i said i just can't understand them. I have a summary of your posts too - representative of some vocal minority spits his sarcrasms and toxicity everywhere because blizzard doesn't care to invest money to launch them thier extremely niche servers to play.

Quote Originally Posted by iDielord View Post
    Thank you for your good and argumented post, too bad i didn't insulted anyone in mine. You summary is just plain stupid too - i never said people need to like what i like, i said i just can't understand them. I have a summary of your posts too - representative of some vocal minority spits his sarcrasms and toxicity everywhere because blizzard doesn't care to invest money to launch them thier extremely niche servers to play.
    Oh I didn't need to look at history, I observed you from your post a couple upwards. Your insult is to demean everyone posting here, with those who enjoy playing Vanilla identified as those playing complete garbage. Would it ever occur to you that others liked the game the way it was, even if you did not like it (the way it was)?

15+ Year Old Account
    I never said they don't care. Of course they do. They just lack knowledge and expertise to do much about it, apparently.

Should my opinion matter more than someone elses? Of course not. Neither should yours. The poll is divided. Your assertion to be the majority when you are not is more hostile than much else you said.
    I never said I am the majority. I don't know that. Noone really knows if they are majority without proper polling among a representative group.

Anyway, Blizzard doesn't always do what I want them to do and I don't go around calling current team idiotic because they aren't fulfilling my claim. If they ever stop fulfilling what I enjoy in the game I'll just go away... forward... not backwards.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't get why people wouldn't want a vanilla server. Not interested in playing it? Well no one is forcing you. Most of the people who enjoyed the game in that state isn't playing it now, so blizz won't lose money and other servers won't be deader.

We saw from Nostalrius that there were enough people to pack at least two or three Blizz servers to the brim (Nostalrius had higher cap that Blizz has on theirs). If all of those people payed they'd more than pay for the costs of keeping those servers up, which is the point of a subscription to begin with. So no one loses anything regarding that. The realm won't be updated either, so no developer time will be wasted on it, merely the bare minimum needed to keep the server running and smooth.

For those who do enjoy playing vanilla it would mean so much however.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxilot View Post
    I don't get why people wouldn't want a vanilla server. Not interested in playing it? Well no one is forcing you. Most of the people who enjoyed the game in that state isn't playing it now, so blizz won't lose money and other servers won't be deader.
    Most don't seem to care if it exists, some are concerned that it existing will indirectly harm live. Some just don't think it makes sense to happen IE costs to rewards just doesn't make it worthwhile. And I'm sure there are some that just utterly hate the idea.

We saw from Nostalrius that there were enough people to pack at least two or three Blizz servers to the brim (Nostalrius had higher cap that Blizz has on theirs). If all of those people payed they'd more than pay for the costs of keeping those servers up, which is the point of a subscription to begin with. So no one loses anything regarding that. The realm won't be updated either, so no developer time will be wasted on it, merely the bare minimum needed to keep the server running and smooth.
    You can't point to Nos and claim that an official server will have similar success. Nos was free, legacy most likely would require a subscription for blizzard to even consider it. Without more in-depth stats you can't even say the 150k active accounts it had is actually good. I'm curious as what the average account age was, or hours played per week, etc.

Nos support costs would be less than a legacy servers. Volunteers vs paid employees, differences in infrastructure/system requirements. Costs would undoubtedly be much higher. Could it be profitable...depends on the conversion rate. And how long would it take to be profitable.

For those who do enjoy playing vanilla it would mean so much however.
    I don't doubt that. lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

Quote Originally Posted by gamingmuscle View Post
    Without more in-depth stats you can't even say the 150k active accounts it had is actually good. I'm curious as what the average account age was, or hours played per week, etc.
    But you do have such stats: the same ones Blizzard now has.

Nostalrius as a legacy server gathered a broad community, with 220,000 active accounts on March 2016 (monthly statistics), the month before the shutdown announcement.
    The 150k active accounts over a 10 day period was a life-time average, the server was still heavily trending up, with 220k active accounts over the last month of its life.
    (and don't get me started with where the ceiling might have been after the exposure the shutdown brought to quality legacy realms)

Through an internet survey, 50,000 answers have been collected and analyzed.
    The raw data collected from our survey has been processed to eliminate incoherent responses such as:
    • Respondents who say they have played a certain expansion on retail but also that they have never played on a retail server.
    • Respondents who say they have played a certain expansion on a private server but also state they have never played on a private server.
    • Respondents who say they have played the game longer than is physically possible.
    After this filtering, 30,000 responses remain from the original 50,000.
    The results below are based on the remaining 30,000 responses.
    Most of the respondents are no longer playing on official World of Warcraft realms.
    Through the questions asked, it is possible to gain a better understanding of this phenomenon.
    Several non-exclusive explanations were proposed.
    Without surprise, most of them left because of changes brought to the game, and the lack of time or money represents a minority of players.
    A legitimate question raised when speaking about legacy realms is the longevity.

Data from the survey shows that players are actually willing to play on legacy realms for more than a year in 70% of the cases.
    Answering a question of a survey is not something binding, and these numbers could change in the case of a real legacy server Release.
    However, this trend is confirmed by the analysis of Nostalrius accounts created during the year it ran.
    An analysis of active accounts shows that after 7 months, 30% of the created accounts are still active, which is huge for an entirely free to play server.
    Spoiler: