Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Yeah ok. You do realize links to these numbers have been posted on this site right?

- - - Updated - - -

Fun isn't allowed here. Only fanatical and pathological hatred.
    Have they? Are you sure you have seen Q1 2016 figures? The announcement to stop publicly releasing subscription figures, because people were reading too much in to them, was talked about on this forum for about 6 months straight. I don't think we have current subs figures to debate.

The interesting stat to me, is that WoD sold more copies than MoP or Cata. That tells me there is still a base that wants to play Wow, if Blizzard can deliver what they are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
    Yep, WoD did his job. It was the expansion that opened many people's eyes to the fact that the success of WoW is just a coincidence or the result of unnamed geniuses who have nothing to do with the current company. Personally, I think it's both. When geniuses and stars come together, a miracle happens.
    It was a "fun" IP, it was well polished, it looked great for its time, the gameplay was accessible, it was launched at the birth of the Internet socialization boom. It was not coincidence, it was not a handful of now ex-employees(lol Wildstar).

Blizzard had the right product at the right time. The only reason they have managed to stay on top is they are continually modifying the formula to fit current demographics and keep the game fresh.

OT: there is hype, but I think people are waiting for the actual patch to hit so they can hopefully try to forget wod completely.

We stopped Raiding in Feb of this year, everyone went off to do their own thing. Now people have already started logging back in and getting ready for the xpac at least in my guild. I'm still hyped for the xpac. *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    Given the abortion that most people seem to consider WoD to be I think it's the vastly smarter decision to abandon it asap and get out the new expansion rather then try and keep WoD hobbling along. hoping that word of mouth gets you back your lost customer base. And most of the people I know who actually bothered to play for WoD launch( I quit mid MoP and WoD didn't lure me back) agree.
    Sure, but they didn't abandon it ASAP. WoD was out for two years, same as previous expansions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    Blizzard had the right product at the right time. The only reason they have managed to stay on top is they are continually modifying the formula to fit current demographics and keep the game fresh.
    Uh, what? All Blizzard does lately is rip off previously established IPs. "To create their own spin on things" as other people try to say, luckily for Blizzard they have a dedicated fanbase that doesn't really care that they're not original.

WoW is not new or fresh, nothing they have done since BC/Wrath era has been innovative in comparison to other MMOs that already did x thing and implemented it in their own MMO first.

Probably need to wait till the patch actually happens. What good is resubbing if you dont plan to play till the patch hits...

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Uh, what? All Blizzard does lately is rip off previously established IPs. "To create their own spin on things" as other people try to say, luckily for Blizzard they have a dedicated fanbase that doesn't really care that they're not original.

WoW is not new or fresh, nothing they have done since BC/Wrath era has been innovative in comparison to other MMOs that already did x thing and implemented it in their own MMO first.
    Blizzard has never been innovative. Their reputation from the start until now is of a company that takes existing ideas, dumbs them down for the masses, polishes the shit out of them, and then dominates the genre.

I have to give Blizzard credit though for adding in features other games have. Many MMORPG's tend to ignore other games entirely or barely take anything that's successful or actually good for the game into its core designs.

"Hey, that chef put flour in his cake! He is so ripping off that other chef who also has flour in his cake!"

Quote Originally Posted by lazzy View Post
    Usually when pre-patch is about to hit the hype train starts and people start flooding back to WoW. We have less than a week till pre-patch and I don't see any signs of people returning in droves like usual. Makes me wonder how big Legion will actually be.

Did WoD really turn people off this much? This is first time I've ever seen pre-patch not be super hyped up.
    2 things, 1 the date hasent been confirmed yet, and 2 the pre-event is in phases so coming at the start there will be barely anything new, so people will most likely wait till later to join in the pre-event

Maybe if they focus on WoW and made it a better game with more sandbox elements and stuff to do end-game beside just chasing the carrot on the stick for gear... people might come back.
    I doubt it will happen, WoW has changed so much and not for the better...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    Is there something to be excited about? Please elaborate.

WoD was a disaster, Legions is the empty remnant promises of former expansions, those that never came true.

Legacy took the spotlight this year anyways. Legions would be worth trying out if included in the same Legacy subscription. I'd try it out then, maybe even be introduced to the "new" WoW. Otherwise, there are other games to play, so, meh.
    Except there will never be legacy nonsense hostled by Blizzard kappa

7+ Year Old Account
    It was a "fun" IP, it was well polished, it looked great for its time, the gameplay was accessible, it was launched at the birth of the Internet socialization boom. It was not coincidence, it was not a handful of now ex-employees(lol Wildstar).

Perhaps it is. But it does not explain the complete degradation after. For example armor sets after TBC. No epic-ness and beauty. Of course, it's a matter of taste, but I recently flew around Silvermoon and realized that was the last epic year of this game. Try it and you'll see the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    What specifically about a commitment to more content and making that content last longer do you not like?
    Where is the new content that last longer? If you mean world quests: login every day and spend 70% of the time flying/running around from one world quest to another and the other 30% of the time killing the same mobs or collecting the same items you already did 23495834 times + 1 time while leveling? No thanks I don't find this shit fun to do or worth my time and most people I talked to in the beta felt the same way. Inb4 "but they said they will push out more content and faster!" yes they said the same thing 5 times already and never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    795 vs. 735 rings makes a huge difference - sometimes up to 20% of your DPS. And yes, as someone who mostly pugs, that matters a lot because I have to deal with a lot of raid leaders looking at my dps. I want to log in, kill bosses, and have my gear be equal to someone who's killed about the same number of bosses as me, not have it be, "well you have equal gear but you're behind him because he started in August and you started in October". That's dumb, and I think it will stop people from joining in October.
    No, it really doesn't. Not overall because the person who has that 795 gear is also giong to have a billion other uprades like 4 pieces that are way more significant than 9 ilvl on that ring. I remember your type of person. You're the guy who downloaded gear score the second it was available and require HFC Mythic Ilevel to do normal dungeons. In order to pug the normal Naxx I had to have heroic ICC gear to join your group. The person that joins first always has better gear, you're just pissing and moaning about a tiny aspect of that time>reward relationship. I'm sorry you're mad the person who is equally skilled but played more has better gear then you. Suck it up. But if you're any good at all mr. I do pugs then your skill is going to vastly outshine the person who plays longer but sucks more.

MMOs have always required some type of time commitment and the ones you're pissing and whining about are absolutely nothing compared to the bullshit vanilla threw at us. Even with a 735 vs 795 your other gear and skill is going to be way more important for pubbing. I've seen dipshits who ground their way into rings higher ilvl then mine and I've out performed them. You are literally whining because if you're behind at all in any way shape or form it's not fair and you'll never be taken to anything. Which is patently not true.
    Last edited by shimerra; 2016-07-14 at 02:03 AM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Been away from the game since the beginning of last February and I still log into battle.net to chat with friends/old guild members...people are logging back into the game now. On my friends list, that number is exactly 2. That is two more than I've seen in the past several months, however.

I see people in Hearthstone and other Blizzard titles, however.

I almost wonder if Blizzard fucked it up on purpose, because they decided that WoW was too expensive to keep running in its current form. Especially in comparison to games like Hearthstone, that cost very little to make and maintain comparatively...maybe that's overly optimistic (or pessimistic, depending) thinking on my part, WoW is certainly a cash cow.
    If Blizzard felt Wow was a liability and not worth running they would simply shutter the servers and call it a day. I'm sorry but no business operates this way and purposely destroys its own products rather than discontinuing them.

Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    MMOs have always required some type of time commitment and the ones you're pissing and whining about are absolutely nothing compared to the bullshit vanilla threw at us.
    A lot of the bullshit Vanilla included was other faction players (or your own) in terms of grinding materials and entrance to raids / dungeons. And of course massive amounts of time dedication needed per week to stay some-what relevant. Even though now it has been shown with overall player skill being greater, Vanilla actually wasn't THAT time consuming. Still, original WoW definitely had a huge grind earlier in its life cycle -- and being paired with equally as unskilled or worse players didn't help, especially in raids.

Judging by all the complete scrubs I've seen in 5-mans and Timewalking Dungeons(worse than usual) aswell as many people asking questions about old stuff, I have definitely seen a lot of people returning/new to the game.

A lot of people may not be hyped, but a lot of people are returning.

Quote Originally Posted by kensai666 View Post
    Well, everything that has a beginning has an end, and Legion will be a fitting end. We'll destroy the ultimate evil end boss while wielding Ashbringers and what not.

A new game will pick up the players that leave WoW. The cycle will continue.

If you actually believe this then just stop posting here. You're so incredibly wrong it's not even funny.

"Hey, that chef put flour in his cake! He is so ripping off that other chef who also has flour in his cake!"
    It's more than flour, lol. Blizzard has the money and resources to innovate and push forward genres but generally speaking they do not, they stick to what has proven to work in other games.

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    I have to give Blizzard credit though for adding in features other games have. Many MMORPG's tend to ignore other games entirely or barely take anything that's successful or actually good for the game into its core designs.
    Sure, I guess. Your avatar is pretty creepy