Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhlor View Post
    Illidan is the chosen one
    Sorry that is agent Smith.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    The words "chosen one" is a sure-fire way to make me 1000% less interested in a fantasy novel. Since this is Warcraft, I'm disappointed to see it appear here.
    The novel doesn't refer to him as such -- it's in-game where they start getting into that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    No. It's lazy cop out writing that skips over important parts of character development by using word of god to say everything is cool now. It's bad writing.
    What? Which meaning of "word of god" are you using now?

If you are using the normal usage of WoG in fiction, which means statement from official sources, then I'm going to presume that you didn't read "Illidan" carefully or failed to comprehend it fully (since you implied that you read it) seeing that the book clarified what his actions were, what his goal was, what he thought, and how his character actually grew over the course of the events in TBC. They clearly didn't just "skips over important parts of character development by using word of god to say everything is cool now".
    Otherwise, if by WoG you meant literally words of a powerful being in the game - in this case, Naaru, then well - reread the book.

I understand that we may or may not like the story about Illidan, but at least complain about a valid issue instead of just using buzzwords (going to assume "cringy" and "bad writing" is the new "shitty" or "generic" of 4ch which actually means "what I don't like") to try to emphasize your point. Or just admit "I don't like it" - we all have our own liking / disliking after all. Blizzard didn't skips Illidan's character development and just dump a "he is a good guy" without any explanation to us, you just missed it.
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

Quote Originally Posted by Qualia View Post
    What? Which meaning of "word of god" are you using now?

If you are using the normal usage of WoG in fiction, which means statement from official sources, then I'm going to presume that you didn't read "Illidan" carefully or failed to comprehend it fully (since you implied that you read it) seeing that the book clarified what his actions were, what his goal was, what he thought, and how his character actually grew over the course of the events in TBC. They clearly didn't just "skips over important parts of character development by using word of god to say everything is cool now".
    Otherwise, if by WoG you meant literally words of a powerful being in the game - in this case, Naaru, then well - reread the book.

I understand that we may or may not like the story about Illidan, but at least complain about a valid issue instead of just using buzzwords (going to assume "cringy" and "bad writing" is the new "shitty" or "generic" of 4ch which actually means "what I don't like") to try to emphasize your point. Or just admit "I don't like it" - we all have our own liking / disliking after all. Blizzard didn't skips Illidan's character development and just dump a "he is a good guy" without any explanation to us, you just missed it.
    The Legion quest is just Xe'ra going around talking about how good Illidan is and how he was the chosen one from the drawn of the fucking universe. That's not character development.

Character development would be Illidan working to prove that he is good and worthy of working with people to combat the Legion. Having what is essentially a god come down and tell us we're bad for opposing Illidan and that we need to help save him is not character development. The key part of character development is the character has to actually fucking do something, not just have shit handed to them by god.

7+ Year Old Account
    The Legion quest is just Xe'ra going around talking about how good Illidan is and how he was the chosen one from the drawn of the fucking universe. That's not character development.

Character development would be Illidan working to prove that he is good and worthy of working with people to combat the Legion. Having what is essentially a god come down and tell us we're bad for opposing Illidan and that we need to help save him is not character development. The key part of character development is the character has to actually fucking do something, not just have shit handed to them by god.
    So, you didn't read the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Enthralled View Post
    So, you didn't read the book.
    The book has the same thing. Xe'ra showing up and saying Illidan is a champion of the light. It doesn't go as far with the nauseating chosen one bullshit though.

It irks me that we've had all this character development for Illidan. We knew who he was, where he came from, and why he acted the way he did. His motivations, at times, were a little cloudy. Part of me liked that about him. He was an interesting anti-hero.

However, calling him the 'chosen one' gives him this godly plot armor beyond belief. Now any hero or individual that disagrees with Illidan will automatically look like a colossal moron, even if realistically their quarrels with him are completely justified. Illidan is the ultimate good in the universe now and there was nothing wrong with what he did. He essentially gets a 'get out of redemption free card'.

I wanted to see Illidan redeem himself. I really did. This is absolutely not a redemption story. This is telling us that Illidan was good and "has nothing to prove to us and doesn't have to anymore. Anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot! LOL" It ticks me beyond belief and it's such a missed opportunity. Illidan used to be one of my favorite characters.

3DS FC: 0877-1538-7893
    PM if you add me!

Quote Originally Posted by Diannak View Post
    Remember what Xe'ra said about his birth

The great ordering was the clash between the light and void but gods like Elune may have also been present at that time what if Illidan was there as well and he lost his life fighting the void or he may not have been a god but something else
    It doesn't even have to be the same person I mean the death of an other may have created Illidan, like a reincarnation
    That will also explain his attraction to Tyrande maybe it is not the person that he is enamored with but the force behind it which is Elune, who he probably knew.
    Also the great cycle probably means the battle between the light and void, which lead us to the point where Illidan will fight the void lords again

So what do you say?
    illidan deserved to be rewarded... he did everything he could for the greater good... but was punished for it, and im glad hes getting a redemption story... but i do think its abit overboard, weve allways known with his "amber eyes" he has been destined for greatness.... so im pretty sure they planed to have illidan be a good guy and lead to something, but come after vanilla (they dident plan for wow to go far so they dident have anything planned for after) they had to rush set up the lore of BC
    (and it shows cause god danm... gruul was our freind, he helped us fight off deathwing! and illidan was a good guy, and we attack him cause a bunch of kaelthas's blood elves attack us...? wtf)
    so im sure they had a destiny planned for him, but in the rush that was BC lore they messed it up, and wish to bring him back (i am betting you he is a direct child of elunne )

him and malfurion were "gifted to us by elune" now it could just be "god gifted us these kids" but... where are their parents... the preist seems abit... fine for having just given birth if these two are just born... i am litterally thinking...

malfurion and illidan... are the children of elune.... yeah... it would all make sense, why they both become so god danm powerful

the women with them is a priest of elune, "elune has gifted us" no parents anywhere in sight, and no mention of their parents EVER

Quote Originally Posted by Zorua View Post
    It irks me that we've had all this character development for Illidan. We knew who he was, where he came from, and why he acted the way he did. His motivations, at times, were a little cloudy. Part of me liked that about him. He was an interesting anti-hero.

However, calling him the 'chosen one' gives him this godly plot armor beyond belief. Now any hero or individual that disagrees with Illidan will automatically look like a colossal moron, even if realistically their quarrels with him are completely justified. Illidan is the ultimate good in the universe now and there was nothing wrong with what he did. He essentially gets a 'get out of redemption free card'.

I wanted to see Illidan redeem himself. I really did. This is absolutely not a redemption story. This is telling us that Illidan was good and "has nothing to prove to us and doesn't have to anymore. Anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot! LOL" It ticks me beyond belief and it's such a missed opportunity. Illidan used to be one of my favorite characters.
    Yes, exactly. An Illidan redemption story could have been great. Instead we get this shitty chosen one story with huge amounts of whitewashing everything that Illidan did.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorua View Post

agreed, i liked his story, it was butchered in BC, but i think they whent abit too far with the redemption story, but im happy anyways cause atleast its my bae illidan!

also your final sentences, i dont agree with that, as omnipresent players yes... but weve allways known that what he was doing was for the greater good, and wasent "evil" but the ingame characters dident, they thought he was evil... and even now may still! we will have to see... if illidan shows up and malfurion goes "oh hey bro, were all cool" then i will be super pissed... this is a redemption story and yes he doesnt have to prove to US but weve allways known that, during the war of the ancients we know he joined the legion to destroy the portal from withen... but the characters dident know... you have to remember to split things up

omnipresent, and present.... we are omni... inlore is not... we have allways known illidan was good... the charecters do not... jaina is a perfect example...

during the genocide in dalaran, we knew it was just garrosh's small group of blood elves, jaina thought it was all of the blood elves, trying to take control of dalaran from her

Yes, exactly. An Illidan redemption story could have been great. Instead we get this shitty chosen one story with huge amounts of whitewashing everything that Illidan did.
    you dont know what whitewashing is do you?

and the naaru doesent say "illidan did no wrong" it says, "he did everything for a reason" he isent the perfect person of peace and with no flaws... because that does not exist... even the naaru... the sight of perfection... can become dark and fetid....]

illidan is still the "do stuff the way not everyone may like" we even see this in legion, during the black rook hold quest... you see him... he knows what he must do... but it doesent make it any less disgusting... slaughtering his own people, consuming their souls and magic, so he may use it to defeat the demons, and the infernal... yes he defeated them... but at what horrid genocidal cost... maybe their may have been another way... but that is what happens... where others will avoid the more disgusting ways of doing things... the most evil ways to get stuff done... spending time and as much as they can to try to avoid what can be seen as "evil" yet illidan is one of those kinds of people to simply go "NO, WHAT MUST BE DONE, MUST BE DONE, I WILL DO IT, FOR THE GREATER GOOD"

culling of stratholme is pretty much what illidan has had to do many times...

slaughter thousends of his own innocent people?
    or spend dearly needed time, risking everything, to try and find another way to fix this problem?

most will choose option number two... illidan would allways choose the first

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raamul View Post
    when they started writing the stormrage brothers, I think they never thought about Illidan leading the Army of light. so it unlikely that they have planned it all along. now they will retcon things to make matters more interesting.
    they have allways planned illidan to have a huge destiny, as they included the "amber eyes, meaning a great destiny" thing long ago, but BC sorta shut it down... what destiny did he have? what was it? and now this is the destiny that was placed, they back then maybe whent "we want illidan to be a good guy, a destiny" but dident know with exactly what, maybe the amber eyes is from the sheer force of the light being put withen him

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    you dont know what whitewashing is do you?

and the naaru doesent say "illidan did no wrong" it says, "he did everything for a reason" he isent the perfect person of peace and with no flaws... because that does not exist... even the naaru... the sight of perfection... can become dark and fetid....]

illidan is still the "do stuff the way not everyone may like" we even see this in legion, during the black rook hold quest... you see him... he knows what he must do... but it doesent make it any less disgusting... slaughtering his own people, consuming their souls and magic, so he may use it to defeat the demons, and the infernal... yes he defeated them... but at what horrid genocidal cost... maybe their may have been another way... but that is what happens... where others will avoid the more disgusting ways of doing things... the most evil ways to get stuff done... spending time and as much as they can to try to avoid what can be seen as "evil" yet illidan is one of those kinds of people to simply go "NO, WHAT MUST BE DONE, MUST BE DONE, I WILL DO IT, FOR THE GREATER GOOD"

culling of stratholme is pretty much what illidan has had to do many times...

slaughter thousends of his own innocent people?
    or spend dearly needed time, risking everything, to try and find another way to fix this problem?

most will choose option number two... illidan would allways choose the first
    It's pretty much exactly what whitewashing is. "Oh, Illidan did things that might be seen as bad, but it's ok because he did them for the right reason so you can't be mad at him."

One of the main points of Xe'ra's questline is that the player character is bad and wrong because they were mad at Illidan.

7+ Year Old Account
    No they don't know what whitewashing is.

I'm not so sure about where Blizzard is going with Xe'ra. It seems very unsubtle to say the least and I would have preferred that they kept telling his story in the same dark tone that William King established in the book. However, I have the patience and presence of mind to wait it out and see how it unfolds before joining this whinefest. It might be that there's something going on that isn't apparent right now,

It's pretty much exactly what whitewashing is. "Oh, Illidan did things that might be seen as bad, but it's ok because he did them for the right reason so you can't be mad at him."

One of the main points of Xe'ra's questline is that the player character is bad and wrong because they were mad at Illidan.
    again you dont know what whitewashing is....

Whitewashing is the casting practice in the film industry in the United States in which white actors are cast in historically nonwhite character roles.

this has ALLLWWAAAAYS been a thing.... and no would you rather the naaru talk for 5 hours? no the naaru says "look he did fucked up shit, but it was for the greater good so shut up"

no one, NO ONE is saying what illidan did wasent disgusting... .what we are saying though, is that what he did, was done for a reason, and needed to be done...

and yes we are bad and wrong because we are mad at illidan, we look ath im and all the things he done, and hate him for it, without thinking "why would he do these things" why would he join the legion, only to then collapse the portal? why would he take the skull of guldan, to then slay all the demons in the forest and leave? why would he be closing all the demonic portals in outland, if he was really working with the legion? why would he make a faction of demon hunters, beings MADE AND NAMED after killing the enemy, if the demons were his allies and we were the enemy?

thats like germany making a military unit called the nazi murderers, then working with the nazi's to kill Americans... wtf?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Enthralled View Post
    No they don't know what whitewashing is.

I'm not so sure about where Blizzard is going with Xe'ra. It seems very unsubtle to say the least and I would have preferred that they kept telling his story in the same dark tone that William King established in the book. However, I have the patience and presence of mind to wait it out and see how it unfolds before joining this whinefest. It might be that there's something going on that isn't apparent right now,
    have you seen the illidan black rook hold questline? people are saying all over "they are making illidan out to be a good guy who can do no wrong" guess they havent even touched that quest, or ignore it to make a point

again you dont know what whitewashing is....

Whitewashing is the casting practice in the film industry in the United States in which white actors are cast in historically nonwhite character roles.

What? No. Whitewashing means covering up vices, crimes, scandals, etc. Which is exactly what is happening with Illidan. All his bad stuff is being covered up because "he did it for the right reasons." It's literally white washing.

and yes we are bad and wrong because we are mad at illidan, we look ath im and all the things he done, and hate him for it, without thinking "why would he do these things" why would he join the legion, only to then collapse the portal? why would he take the skull of guldan, to then slay all the demons in the forest and leave? why would he be closing all the demonic portals in outland, if he was really working with the legion? why would he make a faction of demon hunters, beings MADE AND NAMED after killing the enemy, if the demons were his allies and we were the enemy?
    Yeah, no, people don't just get to do evil shit and get away with it because some bullshit. Illidan was killed because he was an evil piece of shit who was enslaving and killing people.

7+ Year Old Account
    have you seen the illidan black rook hold questline? people are saying all over "they are making illidan out to be a good guy who can do no wrong" guess they havent even touched that quest, or ignore it to make a point
    Most reactions I have seen to that have been positive but there is one guy who is seriously booty-blasted because his motivations are not exactly the same as in the old Richard Knaak WotA trilogy. I really want to play the worlds smallest violin for people like that, honestly.

What? No. Whitewashing means covering up vices, crimes, scandals, etc. Which is exactly what is happening with Illidan. All his bad stuff is being covered up because "he did it for the right reasons." It's literally white washing.

Yeah, no, people don't just get to do evil shit and get away with it because some bullshit. Illidan was killed because he was an evil piece of shit who was enslaving and killing people.
    you mean white washing? cause whitewashing and white washing are two differant things... and if you mean white washing your right, but again if youve played legion you would understand, no one is trying to cover up what hes done, but what hes done was to defeat the legion, we have ALLLWAAAAAYSSSSSS KNOOOOWWWWWNNNN TTTTHHHHIIIIISSSS

again you know nothing about the lore "omfg this guy is enslaving some people to he can kill the satan of this universe! better kill him" mhm >_>

cause please, please explain what "evil shit he did that he got away with because some bullshit" cause i would like to hear

so your saying if satan raised from hell, and the military told everyone to pick up a gun and fight, you would kill the military cause "they are taking our rights" BITCH if you dont fight there will be no planet, or universe to live in...

enslaving a race to save the universe? seems fair, but ok whatever, its matter of opinion...

7+ Year Old Account

Everything he's done is right there for all to see and judge, not covered up at all.

...so what does that make us the player characters? I've got a pretty high kill count just on my main. If I added in all my alts, it's probably breathtaking. How about you?

you mean white washing? cause whitewashing and white washing are two differant things... and if you mean white washing your right, but again if youve played legion you would understand, no one is trying to cover up what hes done, but what hes done was to defeat the legion, we have ALLLWAAAAAYSSSSSS KNOOOOWWWWWNNNN TTTTHHHHIIIIISSSS

again you know nothing about the lore "omfg this guy is enslaving some people to he can kill the satan of this universe! better kill him" mhm >_>

cause please, please explain what "evil shit he did that he got away with because some bullshit" cause i would like to hear

so your saying if satan raised from hell, and the military told everyone to pick up a gun and fight, you would kill the military cause "they are taking our rights" BITCH if you dont fight there will be no planet, or universe to live in...

enslaving a race to save the universe? seems fair, but ok whatever, its matter of opinion...
    Don't worry, I'm well aware that for some bullshit reason Illidan is the only one that can do anything to fight the Legion due to it being his destiny or some other such nonsense.

Don't worry, I'm well aware that for some bullshit reason Illidan is the only one that can do anything to fight the Legion due to it being his destiny or some other such nonsense.
    anyone can fight the legion... but hes the only one who understands them fully, and has the ideals to just go "ok i will do whatever i can do defeat the legion"