Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    so void lords arnt just evil narru?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felmaggots View Post
    Something has been making me scratch my head as far as the lore goes ( still learning it. ). The Old Gods are pretty damn strong, so much so that they would corrupt the land upon being killed, i.e. Y'Shaarj. Now what is throwing me off is, why Sargeras is continuously sending his minions to Azeroth knowing that the Old Gods are there. I can see Golden Yak's point of what Sargeras is potentially doing, but if all of the Titans struggled, what is he going to do on his own even with the Legion. There seems to be an underlying motive that hasn't been reveiled. Possibly trying to weaponize an Old God? I hope Legion fills in these holes, I can not wait for more lore on the Old Gods and the Void Lords.
    Sargeras specifically wants to destroy Azeroth because there is a nascent Titan slumbering there - a Titan that, if she awakens, would be even more powerful than Sargeras himself. The Pantheon discovered the sleeping Titan and the Old Gods infesting the world, and imprisoned the Old Gods without killing them in an effort to keep the Titan from becoming corrupted by them - Y'Shaarj's death showed the Titans that corruption could stem from even a slain Old God, which is why they decided not to kill the others.

Sargeras wants to destroy all the nascent Titans in other worlds most of all to keep them from being corrupted by the Old Gods, because if a nascent Titan is corrupted, it will become a vessel for the creators of the Old Gods, the Void Lords, to invade the material universe. Nascent Titans are priority targets for Sargeras, so he wants to destroy them as soon as he can. Doubly-so for Azeroth, since the Titan there has the power to surpass him. Sargeras is too afraid at this point to let anything stop him - whether Azeroth becomes corrupted or stays pure, Sargeras wants it destroyed either way.

A lot of Sargeras' backstory and underlying motivation, as well as that of the Old Gods and Void Lords, was revealed in the first volume of the Warcraft Chronicle that was recently released. Legion will no doubt cover all the material from the Chronicle that players may not have read, and hopefully much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    As far as I understand it, Azeroth is really no different to him compared to other planets.

The problems he's facing is that he can't get there for some reason, but the demons can, and when they reach the planet they try to summon Sargeras there. He wants to destroy the planet and the nascent Titan before the corruption reaches it.

He wants to destroy Azeroth, but something is holding him back from going there.

That's how I interpret it at least.
    It's actually pretty much what swaggers said - Sargeras is simply too powerful to travel through smaller portals the way weaker demons can. The more powerful the demon, the more powerful the portal needed to warp them somewhere. Sargeras needs a massive portal with a ton of power in order to warp himself directly to Azeroth, so he sends lesser demons to try and open the way for him. Sargeras himself is personally moving through space under his own power, but it will take him much longer than a portal would. Sargeras will get to Azeroth eventually under his own power, but he wants to get there ASAP because he's worried the nascent Titan in Azeroth will awaken before he gets there, so he's under an unknown time constraint.

Quote Originally Posted by tanksin the enhance shamy View Post
    so void lords arnt just evil narru?
    It's confusing, because the name 'voidlord' was used for a type of powerful voidwalker, and naaru can also become void-like entities when they're corrupted. But the Void Lords haven't been encountered so far, and are only described as massive and powerful shadow entities. They may be the Void equivalent of naaru - naaru are made from clouds of the Light, Void Lords could be made from clouds of Void. What they look like, whether Void-beings, dark naaru, or whatever, is still unknown.
    Last edited by Golden Yak; 2016-06-22 at 04:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by swaggers View Post
    Sargeras is that guy. The rest of the burning legion is making their way to azeroth and he's just sitting around going "can I get a summon?"
    Evil beyond redemption indeed.

Deleted
    They would have to be a tier above Naaru/Void God's, Since the the priest artefact quest line we see that Void Gods become Naaru when redeemed.

They are maybe Elune level but void, since we don't actually know what tier Elune is on.

Btw, anyone else notice that the 'wings' of Void God's and other high level void entities are very similar to the crystal formations of Naau? Same sort of patterns, even on things like voidcallers.

Deleted
    I actually think it should be the other way around. I'm sick of all these "muhahahurr durr I'm evil and destroy things for no reason raaaah" type of villans.

there's something that the shadow priest artifact says

Xal'atath whispers: I know the naaru consider us horrors to be resisted. We do not share this view. They are merely beloved brethren that lost the true path. They will return to their masters... in time.

so, it could be lying. but if it's not, what does this mean for elune, the naaru she created, and the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    As far as I understand it, Azeroth is really no different to him compared to other planets.

The problems he's facing is that he can't get there for some reason, but the demons can, and when they reach the planet they try to summon Sargeras there. He wants to destroy the planet and the nascent Titan before the corruption reaches it.

He wants to destroy Azeroth, but something is holding him back from going there.

That's how I interpret it at least.
    According to Chronicles he can get to Azeroth. But it will take him a LONG TIME to reach it because the universe is just too big. So he wants a portal so he won't need to travel for ages to reach Azeroth.
    English is not my first language, feel free to point out any mistake so i can keep learning.

Quote Originally Posted by Morkrul View Post
    According to Chronicles he can get to Azeroth. But it will take him a LONG TIME to reach it because the universe is just too big. So he wants a portal so he won't need to travel for ages to reach Azeroth.
    certainly 10k years would have been long enough to travel here directly.

his battle with the other titans blotted out stars and destroyed vast areas of space, it can't be that much of a leap for him to travel here in a moderate amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    certainly 10k years would have been long enough to travel here directly.

his battle with the other titans blotted out stars and destroyed vast areas of space, it can't be that much of a leap for him to travel here in a moderate amount of time.
    From the book: "Unbeknownst to greater night elf society, the Highborne had begun communing with Sargeras . The fallen titan hoped to use the sorcerers and their great magic to expedite the Legion’s journey to Azeroth. Without a suitable gateway, he knew that traveling to the world would take ages."

So Sargeras can come to Azeroth but it would take ages. I think ages is more than 10k years.
    English is not my first language, feel free to point out any mistake so i can keep learning.

From the book: "Unbeknownst to greater night elf society, the Highborne had begun communing with Sargeras . The fallen titan hoped to use the sorcerers and their great magic to expedite the Legion’s journey to Azeroth. Without a suitable gateway, he knew that traveling to the world would take ages."

So Sargeras can come to Azeroth but it would take ages. I think ages is more than 10k years.
    if the great dark is comparable to our universe in scale, and their battle destroyed "great swaths" of it and lots of stars, they're able to move lightyears in a relatively short amount of time. did it say how long their battle took?

I am sorry but Void Lords are not evil. Evil is such a ridiculous concept. Are people evil for killing things for sustenance? Void Lords only follow their nature. They don't do things out of malice unless you define their entire existence as malice made living. They are disorder. They are chaos. They can do nothing else.

if the great dark is comparable to our universe in scale, and their battle destroyed "great swaths" of it and lots of stars, they're able to move lightyears in a relatively short amount of time. did it say how long their battle took?
    No. But they didn't move during the battle, they fought in Mardum and they were so strong that their battle destroyed parts of the galaxy. But there is no indication that they can travel that fast.

No. But they didn't move during the battle, they fought in Mardum and they were so strong that their battle destroyed parts of the galaxy. But there is no indication that they can travel that fast.
    huh, so the battle destroyed that much without them really moving through it.

that changes some things in those old vs. threads that were up a while back. this is some dragon ball z level shit right here.

that changes some things in those old vs. threads that were up a while back. this is some dragon ball z level shit right here.
    Well, Sargeras destroyed a planet with a swing of his sword. There are lots of dbz shit in the Titan's fights.

Well, Sargeras destroyed a planet with a swing of his sword. There are lots of dbz shit in the Titan's fights.
    eh, saiyan saga vegeta could destroy a planet, that's not that much. this is approaching majin buu levels of destructive potential.

10+ Year Old Account

DBZ nothing that's some Gurren Lagann-level craziness there.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    DBZ nothing that's some Gurren Lagann-level craziness there.
    More like Dragonball Super levels
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    are they really evil? i always took em to be the traditional chaotic alignment more or less.
    Chaotic and Evil aren't mutually exclusive. I'd be inclined to think of the old gods as more evil masterminds, and fitting Lawful Evil, while the Burning Legion who just demolish everything in their path are the Chaotic Evil.

the lords want to devour all life and light. something like that can't really be allowed to continue existing.

so while they may not be evil, their existence is antithetical to all other life, meaning it will never coexist because it can't.

This might be way off in the left black hole, but before the Chronicle came along and changed the lore around, I always had this thought that Sargeras wasn't really up to no good exactly.

The way the Titans had been portrayed, which before the Chronicle we had very limited information on them, they seemed to be more about "balance" than say destroying the Legion, or destroying the Old Gods, or being good guys against evil. It makes sense, in most stories, when "good" or "Light" prevails, something more "evil" or the "Shadow" comes back even more powerful, so imagine this Pantheon of Titans who are super powerful beings, and they preserve a balance between these opposing forces.

Then Sargeras, being their champion, being the one on the front lines and fighting to preserve the balance, starts to see that their strategy isn't working, and the Pantheon at this point are a bunch of old guys clinging to older beliefs. So Sargeras goes rogue and takes over the Legion, not to destroy the universe, but to maintain the balance from the "other" side of things. Which would explain why he never really shows himself, he doesn't need to.

This probably should've been it's own thread, and I could expand on it more, but some of the posts in this thread brought this back to memory.