Page 22 of 42 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by skannerz22 View Post
    this.........blizzard is gaurenteed to lose money due to silence penalty restricting gameplay
    it's similar to how they are punishing nonquiters in overwatch giving them less exp when someone else quits or giving penalty to people who are disconnected or were 1 second away from clicking an ability but was kicked for afk

anyone thinking they won't be effected by silence penalty directly or indirectly is very blind they don't know how to analyse the future
    you need a tank for a raid? there is only 1 online that has the item level but they're not aware of your premade group and/or don't know who they should join with
    well too bad they are silenced they can't whisper you to allow you to know they exist when you spammed chat for 2 hours
    so you spam chat for 3 hours hoping someone whispers you only to get your self muted for spamming now you can't invite the tank the next day when their silence expired and yours began
    Good lord, I hope this is just bad trolling.

I'm glad I don't play on the server with 1 geared tank who also happens to have earned a silence.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skannerz22 View Post
    this.........blizzard is gaurenteed to lose money due to silence penalty restricting gameplay
    it's similar to how they are punishing nonquiters in overwatch giving them less exp when someone else quits or giving penalty to people who are disconnected or were 1 second away from clicking an ability but was kicked for afk

anyone thinking they won't be effected by silence penalty directly or indirectly is very blind they don't know how to analyse the future
    you need a tank for a raid? there is only 1 online that has the item level but they're not aware of your premade group and/or don't know who they should join with
    well too bad they are silenced they can't whisper you to allow you to know they exist when you spammed chat for 2 hours
    so you spam chat for 3 hours hoping someone whispers you only to get your self muted for spamming now you can't invite the tank the next day when their silence expired and yours began
    no they wont
    other people gettign less exp for somone quitting was a bug, people who dc and are counted as afk should be kicked... cause oh idk, DCing they are gone... and AFk is well AFK....

your so blind you cant even read the original post.... as you think its automatic, and people who are silenced cant group up/whisper somone/or do anything with anyone ever...

make somone else in your raid leader so they can invite them/whisper them

yes you spammed chat for 3 hours, now your silenced for 24 hours, yep sounds 100% unfair
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

Deleted
    I think it is a good feature which MIGHT stop some of those people that are spamming "wts challengemode gold" kind of stuff, and are trying to charge rl currency for it.
    It has gone to far, and I am happy blizzard is going to do something about it
    The ignore feature can't stop all of them...

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seifross View Post
    Good lord, I hope this is just bad trolling.

I'm glad I don't play on the server with 1 geared tank who also happens to have earned a silence.
    nope, he made a thread on it, and was told he was incorrect, but has reposted it here cause he refuses to listen... welcome to skannerz...
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    5. this is the stupidest thing ive ever heard...
    This was my reaction to that entire wildly irrational strawman.

Quote Originally Posted by Birgwow View Post
    ...what this change will mean for those of us who aren't on either side of this childishness is a restriction in words, opinions, jokes, banter. Jokes will no longer be jokes. Facts will no longer be facts. Everything "offensive" will be hate speech. We've seen this time and time again, and I don't understand how people keep supporting it.
    For those who aren't on either side of the argument I don't see why it would be a big issue then. Chances are they don't tell racist jokes, insult women and children very often, and don't spam trade very often with stupid political jokes that aren't usually that entertaining.

I don't understand why you feel jokes will no longer be jokes or imply that you can't have fun with your friends still. I doubt guild chat is one of those chat channels that Blizzard will choose to monitor since individual guilds have their own internal rules & they probably wouldn't want to step on the toes of guilds that way. If you want to tell a joke, be racist or sexist, or even troll your own guild then go ahead you'll have that as one option. You can also form your own groups in blizzard lfg with like minded players and not have to worry about the content of what you say either. You can also form small random groups just of your friends, or have conversations through whispers or over any voice chat. Is it a need to have other random people read what you may type in general or trade when it isn't game related. Are audiences of nobodies that important to have in the game? If not, then I listed multiple options that people will have to talk openly still.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xzeve View Post
    I think it is a good feature which MIGHT stop some of those people that are spamming "wts challengemode gold" kind of stuff, and are trying to charge rl currency for it.
    It has gone to far, and I am happy blizzard is going to do something about it
    The ignore feature can't stop all of them...
    It might stop some of those scammers, but this feature really isn't used to be a weapon against people that double post their legit trades/sales. Trade chat is called that for a reason (and I honestly believe too many players have genuinely forgotten that & want to have it be the soapbox for their coversations), they have every right to post what they're trying to sell so long as they aren't doing it literally every minute.

- - - Updated - - -

Unfortunately that is not the case. No slurs have to be used and you don't even have to have extreme views, you just have to have the "wrong" opinion or ask the wrong questions. This is a reality on many big social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter where they censor certain pages. I guess that's what you label "offensive dumb shit", just as you labeled the guy above a homophobic skinhead for questioning this new system. Imagine if you were a GM...
    I don't see how asking an actual question would get you silenced, unless you're obviously trying to be a d-bag by asking something like "Why are women *&^$#^@?" or "Why are all Muslims terrorists?" Unless you were trying to push some agenda like that that is baked into a question you shouldn't be punished. Personally I feel that most people are socially savy enough to understand which opinions are offensive and which are not. It's not like you'll fall into a hole or some trap where all of a sudden you didn't know that a particular widespread negative stereotype or veiw of a group of people was indeed going to be taken offensively.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I'm fine with it, but I'm going to abuse it because I'm still an asshole.
    Try it and all that will happen is that you will end up the one silenced

Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    People are so happy about this Im thinking to propose to blizzard an achievement and title. Like: Report 100 players achievement could reward the title "The Canary" and then when you finally hit the milestone of reporting 1000 players you will get your well deserved title of "The Ruffian" together with a permament black hood over your head so others can identify you.
    Good idea! They could also have an achievement for being reported and silenced. Titles could start off with ... the Mute, then, maybe ... the Unpleasant and once you reach, say, a week of being silenced you could have something like a green cloud follow your character around so others can identify your toxicity.

I don't understand, do people regularly insult someone and spout out insults all the time? I really fucking hope people don't honestly think they will get muted for calling someone idiotic due to their plays or just not performing well, and explaining why. I mean, not even LoL (the most stringent system) does that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by user29712 View Post
    Another shitty HOTS esque system implemented by cucks and asked for by even bigger cucks.

Blizzard can't afford to ban people in an already dying playerbase so they impose this bullshit

- - - Updated - - -

Fuck off cuck
    Thank god people like you exist, you give me a lot of work!

Quote Originally Posted by Seifross View Post
    Can you actually provide examples of conversational topics that would get you banned? If you're worried about "SJWs" shutting you down it certainly comes across as if you're just being blatantly offensive in public channels.

This is just my experience, but when people are worried about "political correctness" or "SJWs" it's usually because they're being offensive or stupid in public. Oh no! They're oppressing my right to use racial slurs!

To be very clear I'm not saying this is what you're doing, but it's definitely my knee-jerk reaction, because when I see complaints like this it's almost always been the case, at least when I've seen the original conversation as well. Can you give us an example that you're worried about? It strikes me that following the current rules will mean you won't be silenced (funny how it works the same way as it does now), and there's no "oppressive" GM out to specifically get you.

EDIT: More to the point, we know the people decrying this system are wrong, at least if they share the most common complaints. The important thing to note is that the reporting system isn't changing. It's exactly the same as it is now. The only difference is the penalty, which is less severe than the current one (bans). So instead of being banned, you can continue to play the game, albeit with less chat privileges. Where's the issue with the silence system? What do "SJWs" or "censorship" have to do with it when the reporting / investigation system already exists and has been functional for years? If you disagree that it's been functional, why are you only speaking up now when the penalty has been reduced?

This isn't directed as you so much as those decrying the entire system. Nothing's changed but a reduction in penalty.
    Basically just think of anything that's not PC. Speaking negatively of feminism, immigration, the "Q" part of LGBTQ, Pride, religion, etc. Not sure what world you live in but when people get silenced it's rarely because of racial slurs.
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=politically+incorrect+censorship
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=facebook+censorship
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=twitter+shadowban
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=british+man+arr...muslim+twitter

Saying there are no "oppressive GMs out to get you" or that their ToS hasn't changed is ridiculous. Have you read their ToS? It couldn't be more vague. "...in the sole and absolute discretion of Blizzard, is deemed to be offensive, including without limitation...". The system is changing from them not getting money from those they ban, and therefore choose to only ban those who are truly toxic, to handing out silences as a form of warning and language control. Again, we've seen this multiple times before. If you've ever played League of Legends you'd know that you can get silenced by even asking for reports on a toxic player. Anything they deem "negative behaviour" is punishable.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantalaimon View Post
    For those who aren't on either side of the argument I don't see why it would be a big issue then. Chances are they don't tell racist jokes, insult women and children very often, and don't spam trade very often with stupid political jokes that aren't usually that entertaining.

I don't understand why you feel jokes will no longer be jokes or imply that you can't have fun with your friends still. I doubt guild chat is one of those chat channels that Blizzard will choose to monitor since individual guilds have their own internal rules & they probably wouldn't want to step on the toes of guilds that way. If you want to tell a joke, be racist or sexist, or even troll your own guild then go ahead you'll have that as one option. You can also form your own groups in blizzard lfg with like minded players and not have to worry about the content of what you say either. You can also form small random groups just of your friends, or have conversations through whispers or over any voice chat. Is it a need to have other random people read what you may type in general or trade when it isn't game related. Are audiences of nobodies that important to have in the game? If not, then I listed multiple options that people will have to talk openly still.

- - - Updated - - -
    I don't see how asking an actual question would get you silenced, unless you're obviously trying to be a d-bag by asking something like "Why are women *&^$#^@?" or "Why are all Muslims terrorists?" Unless you were trying to push some agenda like that that is baked into a question you shouldn't be punished. Personally I feel that most people are socially savy enough to understand which opinions are offensive and which are not. It's not like you'll fall into a hole or some trap where all of a sudden you didn't know that a particular widespread negative stereotype or veiw of a group of people was indeed going to be taken offensively.
    I'm not on either side of the immature behaviour that's going on where someone acts immature and therefore you have to respond in an equally immature fashion. As I've said multiple times already: /ignore and they can't hurt you. Why is insulting women particularly bad in your opinion? And this isn't about spamming tradechat. They said "within the various channels" - meaning anywhere. Not sure why you think discussions are exclusive to tradechat or general. /say is a channel of its own for example. And forcing people to make groups to hide completely legitimite discussions is exactly the problem. It's not about having an audience. It's about having a discussion, that people can follow and jump in on if they'd like. It's about having the freedom to talk about what you want to talk about.

Read my text to the guy above you and you'll see some examples of what I'm talking about. But I'll give one now since you brought it up yourself. Asking "why do muslims worship a prophet who had sex with a 9 year old" would be deemed unacceptable and probably get me punished, even though it's a valid question to ask if you're discussing religion or islam. But since it puts them in a negative light, the one highlighting the issue is going to be punished.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    There is a fine line between completely inexcusable behavior (racial slurs) and calling someone an idiot because they left a base undefended. In my mind the latter person will always be an idiot. He wasted my time, destroyed my CR, promised to deliver and didn't, didn't pay any attention to the plan, ignored the team. Want me to not call him an idiot? Ok he was CANCER for the team. There you go nice and polite does it.
    This has happened to me quite some times; it is not funny at all, doing any kind of multiplayer activity in the game, looking for an specific performance, giving a detailed explanation of what is needed, someone saying he/she knows how to do it, and yeah ending in a total failure, and discovering you have been lied by that person.
    Yeah what you are describing is real, nearly everyone has experienced something like that in the game, and as i said not funny at all.
    But i also take for granted that you have been playing this game long enough for knowing that the only solution is to play exclusively with friends, or with people you know they can perform accordingly to what is required, because otherwise you will always be at risk of that situation happening.
    Calling those people idiots or telling them they are cancer, it is not gonna help with the issue even in the slightest, it is better to let it go and look for people who can do the job.
    Another thing, for another topic, is what can be done to make it easier finding people suitable for that content you want to do, so you do not have to rely so much on friends and people you know, but again, another topic.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    I Love the new Silence Penalty. I will be reporting people left and right and hopefully get them eternally silenced on my servers that I play on. I will report people for posting any sale of instance runs, any constant spam in trade, any constant guild recruitment spam.

Life will be glorious.

Blizzard has yet again done it again!
    This is why people like you won't ever get to decide who gets punished and who doesn't.

If you go over to somebody else's table in a restaurant and tell them they're autistic and that they should kill themselves because you don't like the condiments they put on their burger, they'll think you're retarded and ask you to leave. If you don't leave they'll ask the employees to remove you.

You see, when they ask you to leave that's the same as typing /ignore Retardattable.

Now, if they acted like the SJWs/easily offended on the internet they would probably start screaming about how they just got verbally raped, how they're a victim, and how the police must be called. That's not a mature way to handle a random person's immature behaviour.
    Are you really suggesting what you type is to be "acceptable" and the people at the receiving end is the one that has to do ignore the person.

Wow. I can imagine being in a resturant with this one person telling every other patrons just have to ignore this person telling them they are autistic and should kill themselves.

I don't agree with censoring players

I've literally never used the ignore function, or reported anyone for anything (except gold spammers of course)

People should be able to say what they want regardless of whether or not it offends someone

I know it's a game with terms and conditions and all that but free speech is more precious than people realize nowadays

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    You weren't allowed to spew Hate Speech before and you're still not now. The only thing that's changing is how it's being punished - instead of getting a temporary ban, you'll be getting muted in certain channels for a period of time.
    That's not the main issue tho, you're also unable to use mail. I don't give a shit about being muted, but being unable to send shit between characters is a major fucking pain. I really don't see why they had to include that. As if people are actually going to use the in-game mail to offend other players.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolaris192 View Post
    I don't agree with censoring players

I've literally never used the ignore function, or reported anyone for anything (except gold spammers of course)

People should be able to say what they want regardless of whether or not it offends someone

I know it's a game with terms and conditions and all that but free speech is more precious than people realize nowadays
    There is free speech and then there is spamming crap in trade like racist bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by kinneer View Post
    Are you really suggesting what you type is to be "acceptable" and the people at the receiving end is the one that has to do ignore the person.

Wow. I can imagine being in a resturant with this one person telling every other patrons just have to ignore this person telling them they are autistic and should kill themselves.
    What have I written that is not acceptable in your opinion?

Is it hard to ignore someone? Are you really so fragile that you break at a random person's insult? Are you not mature enough to realise what you can actively do to stop the situation?

Ignoring someone IRL isn't the same as typing /ignore in game. Tired of repeating myself.

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    This system isn't automated. Stop trolling. And yes those of you posting this bullshit are trolling and damn well know it.
    There is no way the system is not going to be automated in some way. There are millions of players still playing WoW, which will generate tens to hundreds of thousands of reports per day. Do you really think there will be enough people monitoring the system to stay on top of all those reports?

(Oh, speaking of Halo: Reach mute bans: I got mute-banned in Halo: Reach within two days of playing multiplayer... despite not having a microphone to speak into.)

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    I don't understand, do people regularly insult someone and spout out insults all the time? I really fucking hope people don't honestly think they will get muted for calling someone idiotic due to their plays or just not performing well, and explaining why. I mean, not even LoL (the most stringent system) does that.
    If they just happen to do so in a LF"R" carebear situation they just might.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    That's not the main issue tho, you're also unable to use mail. I don't give a shit about being muted, but being unable to send shit between characters is a major fucking pain. I really don't see why they had to include that. As if people are actually going to use the in-game mail to offend other players.
    actually there are those who do. it is called a mail bomb. all they do is send tons of empty messages to someone they do not like and fill their inbox essentially keeping them from using it for its intended purpose.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP