New graphic card for ultrawide gaming

So I have quite recently updated pretty much my whole rig just not my GPU.

My R9 280X isn't capable of handling my monitors resolution and it quite frankly runs like ass.

I've been torn between the 1070 and 1080 forever now. I'd really like to be able to use my gpu for the next 3 years just like this 280x, however if the new graphic card holds a decent value so I wont lose too much money if I'd need to upgrade I'm fine with that aswell.

1070's go for about 500-540 euro here and are very rare, 1080's are going for ~770-820 or so.

I'm rocking a 34" ultrawide on 3440x1440p. I should make clear that I am absolutely fine turning off or screwing down the AA, shadows, hairworks or whatever GPU intensive crap games have to game at 60 fps.

I'm not considering AMD at all because I have no way to CF (mini-itx build).

These are the GPU's I'm considering:

EVGA GTX 1070/1080 SC Gaming 3.0
    MSI 1070/1080 Gaming X 8G

I've picked these for both being quiet even under full load and their temperatures.

If someone can advice me which to get (and why), that'd be great. I'd also like to know if my PSU is enough to handle these cards (Silverstone SFX 600W-G).
    Draenor EU: Archavious - Level 120 Warlock ; Loaen - Level 120 Demon Hunter ; Arathia - Level 120 Paladin ; Mitosis - Level 110 Priest ; Toreck - Level 110 Hunter ; Aeralinde - Level 110 Mage ; Crikey - Level 110 Warrior

Your PSU is fine. Honestly I would go with the 1080 personally if you end up playing current gen titles at higher settings you'll probably be fine with a 1070 but the headroom from a 1080 is definitely worth it. With a 1080 you woun't have to worry about upgrading GPUs for a good long while. If you try to run like Witcher 3 at ultra settings you'd be pushing your 1070 at 3440x1440. But if you back down your settings on a 1070 you'll be fine.

Out of curiosity what games do you plan to play tho?

I don't game super much on my PC nowadays. Mainly planning to play Legion (probably going to be short tho as with any expansion for me).

I'm still torn on getting BF1 for PC or on Xbox One so there's that, it will depend on what platform my friend will get it. It's likely that I will pick up Xbox Scorpio but that will really depend on the price tag and if it delivers.

So it kind of comes down to that I don't really have specific demanding games I will be playing. It's more that I randomly play a game here and there and want it to perform well. Xbox One is my 'main' platform which really confirms I'm not the kind of gamer that seeks the highest graphics / aa / detail so I'm fine with tuning some stuff down.

Seeing that the new GPU line is releasing in 2018 makes me feel the 1080 is a waste of money, but it's hard to tell how much I can sell a 1070 for at that time to upgrade if I have to.. I don't think they will drop below 300 euro used? Just like that 980 ti still is pretty expensive right now here, it goes for 320-350 used at the moment.

What I play right now is Verdun and Insurgency and that's about it.
    Last edited by aevitas; 2016-07-14 at 12:57 PM.
    Draenor EU: Archavious - Level 120 Warlock ; Loaen - Level 120 Demon Hunter ; Arathia - Level 120 Paladin ; Mitosis - Level 110 Priest ; Toreck - Level 110 Hunter ; Aeralinde - Level 110 Mage ; Crikey - Level 110 Warrior

does your monitor have a 1080p resolution you could drop down to for the demanding games? the 280x should handle 1080p a lot better, and if you are not a super big pc gamer getting a GTX 1080 is just a waste of money.

280x will be fine for legion.

15+ Year Old Account
    get an r9 390 8gb

GTX 1070 will definetely be more demanded on the aftermarket than 1080.

Quote Originally Posted by gutnbrg View Post
    get an r9 390 8gb
    Thats just not a good investment in money if anything it would be better to get a 1070. Or drop your resolution back.

I guess I will sit back for a while and see if the prices drop on GPU's. 1070's are stupid expensive right now here (~520 or so avg) and there is no way on earth I'm paying 800 euro for a GPU..

I rather not get another AMD gpu because yeah.. My AMD drivers have crashed 3 times in the last 10 mins just watching youtube videos, I'm done with this trash.

I suppose I could drop resolution for now until the cards get cheaper.
    Last edited by aevitas; 2016-07-14 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aevitas View Post
    I guess I will sit back for a while and see if the prices drop on GPU's. 1070's are stupid expensive right now here (~520 or so avg) and there is no way on earth I'm paying 800 euro for a GPU..

I rather not get another AMD gpu because yeah.. Drivers.
    Where are you looking? I got a GTX 1070 from Germany this week for EUR 450.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Allow me to ask, what games are you playing/planning on playing?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by aevitas View Post
    I rather not get another AMD gpu because yeah.. My AMD drivers have crashed 3 times in the last 10 mins just watching youtube videos, I'm done with this trash.
    Sounds like something went wrong with installing or something.

Did you try to do a complete reinstall of the drivers? Using DDU etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post

Sounds like windows 10 problem, make TdrDelay and set it to 8. Fixed mine, haven't crashed since I've made the change.

Edit* There is a video out there that explains it in detail - worth a shot takes all of 2 minutes to do.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post

I've gone as far as doing it "old school" (using the uninstall tool, then removing every left over manually even in registry), tried it like 3 times before I gave up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickynerd View Post
    Sounds like windows 10 problem, make TdrDelay and set it to 8. Fixed mine, haven't crashed since I've made the change.

Edit* There is a video out there that explains it in detail - worth a shot takes all of 2 minutes to do.
    I will try this, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Where are you looking? I got a GTX 1070 from Germany this week for EUR 450.
    Mainly been looking at tweakers.net, a Dutch tech site which keeps track of prices (also checked the forums daily). I'm aware that I can get it cheaper in the Netherlands, i'll keep my eyes out. My German is so bad though I'm afraid I do something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Allow me to ask, what games are you playing/planning on playing?
    WoW Legion (although not super long if it's another WoD), I will most likely get BF1 on PC, steam games like Verdun / Insurgency.

It's kind of hard to list this here because I plan to use a graphic card of that price range for 2-3 years.

I read that a new graphic card line is due for 2018. I'm considering now to get a 1070 around the 450 euro mark, re-sell it once that new line is out for ~300 (assuming the price won't drop, but the 9xx series didn't drop to super cheap prices either as far as I am aware) and spending that 300 + 200 ish for a new card again if I am not pleased with it's performance at that time.

This is also why I'm kind of holding back now. The prices here are 500~ for a 1070 (450 or so in germany), I'm afraid the prices drop closer to the MSRP prices once they're able to supply the graphic cards properly, causing me to lose more money than I could have..
    Last edited by aevitas; 2016-07-15 at 09:34 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    Thats just not a good investment in money if anything it would be better to get a 1070. Or drop your resolution back.
    why whats wrong with the 390?

Quote Originally Posted by gutnbrg View Post
    why whats wrong with the 390?
    A RX 480 beats it for a lower price, so does a 1060. Just a bad use of money.