Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    Skylake isn't going to be broken by an air cooler. That article was about not having the case travel with the air cool installed and to use air coolers that actually support socket 1151, not that it'll break it outright. The only way you'd break it with an air cooler would be if you screwed it in too tight, which can also be done with a water cooler.
    Massive air cooler have all sorts of issues in general. Moving your PC at all could cause issues, it's a hell of a lot of torque to be applying to the CPU and MB. Not to mention being able to physically fit in cases, clear RAM, etc.

Also replacing the fans on an AIO radiator is just going to make it even worse at being cost efficient. AIO liquid coolers are for the most part an aesthetic thing because they either perform worse than the best air coolers, or cost way more and show a small benefit at the cost of noise.
    That's the thing, they usually DON'T perform worse. Not to mention the case he selected will fit a MASSIVE radiator that would be essentially silent. If they were purely aesthetic, why does AMD SPECIFICALLY state that liquid cooling is REQUIRED on their top of the line CPUs? You're still missing the point that they're not any noisier, especially when running with the same fans used on "silent" air coolers.

Yet again, this is all mostly a moot point as the GFX card is going to be screaming it's head off while gaming while the CPU is bored and not generating heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnome Power View Post
    OP has no idea what's what, OP is just going by everyones opinion.
    Like I said I'm not entirely keen to spend hundreds more on a marginal increase (bar the i7 because I've heard nothing but good things and I want to futureproof myself on a processor). Custom water cooling system sounds complicated, and the whole leakage thing sounds out of my skill level.
    I basically expect this to be like lego, with cable management being the only fiddle.

What exactly is PSU overkill, is that like 700W or is 650W more than enough?
    For example my PSU is a Corsair RM850. It's 80 Plus Gold certified, and overkill for if I later want to go to SLI. The 80 Plus certifications (Bronze, Silver, Gold) are a pretty decent benchmark of the quality you're getting in the components as well. Everyone always want to skimp on a PSU, until they have one fail and take out their components...

Quote Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
    Massive air cooler have all sorts of issues in general. Moving your PC at all could cause issues, it's a hell of a lot of torque to be applying to the CPU and MB. Not to mention being able to physically fit in cases, clear RAM, etc.
    There is literally not difference in weight between big AIO watercoolers and two tower air coolers. On fitting cases - I'd say fitting a 240mm AIO WC radiator is not less difficult than fitting a two tower air cooler in.

That's the thing, they usually DON'T perform worse. Not to mention the case he selected will fit a MASSIVE radiator that would be essentially silent. If they were purely aesthetic, why does AMD SPECIFICALLY state that liquid cooling is REQUIRED on their top of the line CPUs? You're still missing the point that they're not any noisier, especially when running with the same fans used on "silent" air coolers.

Yet again, this is all mostly a moot point as the GFX card is going to be screaming it's head off while gaming while the CPU is bored and not generating heat.
    They do. If your case is massive and can fit a big radiator you are always better off with air coolers. If you're building an extreme setup then yes, build your own custom watercooling system, but other than that air is at least the same cooling performance, quieter and cheaper.

Never had any problems with this at all and the cooler I use is pretty massive, the NH-D14.

That's the thing, they usually DON'T perform worse. Not to mention the case he selected will fit a MASSIVE radiator that would be essentially silent.
    The radiator will be silent because it's the fans that make noise. When comparing fans on air and AIO though, it's a wash, as both can easily be replaced to be near silent. However, AIOs, and liquid coolers in general, also have a pump, which adds noise on top of the fans. So yeah, liquid cooling will always be noisier than air, because of the addition of the pump.

If they were purely aesthetic, why does AMD SPECIFICALLY state that liquid cooling is REQUIRED on their top of the line CPUs? You're still missing the point that they're not any noisier, especially when running with the same fans used on "silent" air coolers.
    I'd really like to see where AMD states that. Unless you meant GPU and not CPU. Yes, on a GPU, there is not as much room for large heatsinks, so water cooling is more effective. You are missing the point thoguh, that adding a pump adds noise on top of the fans so they are automatically louder than an air cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    There is literally not difference in weight between big AIO watercoolers and two tower air coolers. On fitting cases - I'd say fitting a 240mm AIO WC radiator is not less difficult than fitting a two tower air cooler in.

They do. If your case is massive and can fit a big radiator you are always better off with air coolers. If you're building an extreme setup then yes, build your own custom watercooling system, but other than that air is at least the same cooling performance, quieter and cheaper.
    Even if they were the same weight on the chip (they're not), the weight is on a lever. Because of this, if the computer is simply set down hard you're running a serious risk of damaging the CPU. His case will support more than a 360mm radiator on top.

Not the same cooling performance (this is simple fact because of surface area).
    Not quieter.
    I'll agree it's cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Never had any problems with this at all and the cooler I use is pretty massive, the NH-D14.
    Maybe you've just never moved your PC. Anecdotal evidence is none at all.

The radiator will be silent because it's the fans that make noise. When comparing fans on air and AIO though, it's a wash, as both can easily be replaced to be near silent. However, AIOs, and liquid coolers in general, also have a pump, which adds noise on top of the fans. So yeah, liquid cooling will always be noisier than air, because of the addition of the pump.
    Modern pumps are silent. No really, if I turn off all the fans in my case I can't hear the pump at all. If you can hear the pump, something is wrong.

I'd really like to see where AMD states that. Unless you meant GPU and not CPU. Yes, on a GPU, there is not as much room for large heatsinks, so water cooling is more effective. You are missing the point thoguh, that adding a pump adds noise on top of the fans so they are automatically louder than an air cooler.
    How about the simple fact they packaged water coolers with their top of the line CPUs? You apparently have never run a water cooling rig if you think the pumps make noise...

Maybe you've just never moved your PC. Anecdotal evidence is none at all.

Modern pumps are silent. No really, if I turn off all the fans in my case I can't hear the pump at all. If you can hear the pump, something is wrong.

How about the simple fact they packaged water coolers with their top of the line CPUs? You apparently have never run a water cooling rig if you think the pumps make noise...
    Move my PC all the time. For one, it's on a desk with wheels which I move around. Sometimes I want to hook it up to the TV in the other room, so it needs to slide out, on my tiles floor, and it goes bump in between the tiles. I have also put it on the floorboard in the backseat of my car to take it over to my friends house on numerous occasions. Never had a problem.

You can't hear it, that does not mean it's not making noise. It's a moving part. It makes noise. It may be deadened by your case or too quiet for you to hear, but it's there. AIO Coolers are just noisier on average than air. Look here at some benchmarks:
    http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/732...ew/index7.html

Looking at the temp differences, they are not much, but they are in fact noisier.

Air coolers have gotten much better in the recent years. They don't cool quite as well as some of the best AIO coolers, but the difference is not much. Meanwhile they are cheaper and quieter. The benchmarks back that up. Not sure where you are pulling you info from, but I get mine from benchmarks. People that have actually accurately tested these things. Actually measured the temps and decibel ratings. I don't just make things up.

Move my PC all the time. For one, it's on a desk with wheels which I move around. Sometimes I want to hook it up to the TV in the other room, so it needs to slide out, on my tiles floor, and it goes bump in between the tiles. I have also put it on the floorboard in the backseat of my car to take it over to my friends house on numerous occasions. Never had a problem.
    Might just be lucky. Used to be a terribly common thing years ago before heat spreaders.

You can't hear it, that does not mean it's not making noise. It's a moving part. It makes noise. It may be deadened by your case or too quiet for you to hear, but it's there. AIO Coolers are just noisier on average than air. Look here at some benchmarks:
    http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/732...ew/index7.html

Looking at the temp differences, they are not much, but they are in fact noisier.
    Try reading them again. The H110 in quiet mode was COOLER and the SAME NOSE LEVEL as the Noctua.

H110: 68.5C, 24dB at 7.5v, 33dB at 12v

NH D-15: 69.33C, 24dB at 7.5v, 35db at 12v

(keep in mind 1dB is a very large difference)

There's really nothing I have to say anymore. You proved my case. These numbers get even better with larger radiators as you can run the fans even lower. There's a reason enthusiasts runs water cooling, and it's not simply for performance, as we'd all be running crazy Delta fans that sound like hair dryers still.

It's hard to take you seriously when you're claiming air coolers are going to destroy Skylake CPUs. If such a thing was anywhere close to a common occurrence it wouldn't have been forgotten about once the news articles got old. We'd see people posting in pc building forums about it constantly.
    I never said it was common. Even if it's uncommon, it's still a risk you take with a very expensive CPU that WOULD NOT be covered under any warranty.

NH-D15 isn't going to lose in performance to something like a Corsair H100i GTX and it's definitely going to be quieter. Buying Noctua fans to stick on the radiator isn't an argument.
    Yet, oh look, it does.

/micdrop
    Last edited by Poodles; 2016-07-16 at 01:38 AM.

Funny, the other benchmarks don't agree with those. Some case designs and setups are going to favor air cooling better than liquid, and some favor liquid cooling better because of the location of the radiator. Air flow through the case can greatly help the radiator, and rear exhaust fans can help air coolers (while this would hinder a top mounted radiator).

Yes, sticking quiet, pressure designed fans on the radiator is an argument. Most of the time the fans that come on AIO coolers are kinda, well, crap. Same with case fans. It's a cost cutting measure. Corsair happens to make good fans as well, so that's why their units run quieter than the rest, but Noctua specializes in this tech.

Liquid cooling is going to beat out air simply on surface area, but go ahead, keep denying simple thermodynamics...

Funny, the other benchmarks don't agree with those. Some case designs and setups are going to favor air cooling better than liquid, and some favor liquid cooling better because of the location of the radiator. Air flow through the case can greatly help the radiator, and rear exhaust fans can help air coolers (while this would hinder a top mounted radiator).

Yes, sticking quiet, pressure designed fans on the radiator is an argument. Most of the time the fans that come on AIO coolers are kinda, well, crap. Same with case fans. It's a cost cutting measure. Corsair happens to make good fans as well, so that's why their units run quieter than the rest, but Noctua specializes in this tech.

Liquid cooling is going to beat out air simply on surface area, but go ahead, keep denying simple thermodynamics...
    If you can build your custom water cooling system is the way to go and has been for years. On the other hand if you dont - quiet, cool and efficient air cooled system is much easier to build and maintain.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    If you can build your custom water cooling system is the way to go and has been for years. On the other hand if you dont - quiet, cool and efficient air cooled system is much easier to build and maintain.
    I'll agree. Ultimately it's another failure point in the system. It depends entirely on what your goals are.

H110: 68.5C, 24dB at 7.5v, 33dB at 12v

NH D-15: 69.33C, 24dB at 7.5v, 35db at 12v
    In quiet mode, yeah, but then you are not getting it's max cooling performance and are really not staying all that much cooler than the air cooler, for more money. The air cooler is cheaper and performs within 1 degree while staying at the same noise level.

Ya that is the beauty with air coolers, quiet and cool. Although my next build i may be a hypocrite and buy an AIO simply for looks lol, depends on what case i choose. No denying a AIO looks better, you get to see the whole motherboard and depending on the AIO the pump can look cool as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Ya that is the beauty with air coolers, quiet and cool. Although my next build i may be a hypocrite and buy an AIO simply for looks lol, depends on what case i choose. No denying a AIO looks better, you get to see the whole motherboard and depending on the AIO the pump can look cool as well.
    Yeah, looks are the only reason I consider a good reason for an AIO. Simply due to price, you spend quite a bit more, for very little more performance, and unless you run in quiet mode(which take away even more performance bringing it even closer to air) they are noisier than air.

i highly recommend jays 2 cents and pauls hardware channels on youtube they both should have videos on building your first pc jays2 cents will give you advanced water cooling guides for later on for computer cases i recommend thermaltake core x9 it'll give ya the ability to choose what ever you want your case to have and upgrade with you.