Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New FFXIV player

Hello everyone, I'm new to FFXIV, played XI a bit back and realized there really isn't community in XIV like there was in 11, made a few forum accounts but I'm not having much luck.

Can you elaborate a bit? What is it you're looking for? What are you not finding? Basically just trying to understand the purpose of this post so I can help point you in the right direction. FFXIV is a good game and has as decent a community as I've seen in an MMO (nothing will match up to what XI used to have, unfortunately, different time and type of game). Difference servers have different focuses so if you can post what kind of community/ guild/ LS you're looking for we here can point you to a server that fits.

Welcome to FFXIV =)

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Can you elaborate a bit? What is it you're looking for? What are you not finding? Basically just trying to understand the purpose of this post so I can help point you in the right direction. FFXIV is a good game and has as decent a community as I've seen in an MMO (nothing will match up to what XI used to have, unfortunately, different time and type of game). Difference servers have different focuses so if you can post what kind of community/ guild/ LS you're looking for we here can point you to a server that fits.

Welcome to FFXIV =)
    Well that's what I was expecting when I got the game, the FFXI community feel. I guess Idude just like more people interaction, the free company I'm in hardly says two words to each other.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Server?
    Class?
    Interest?

I'm on Balmung / Gilgamesh and both are considered high pop, but for different reasons.

Balmung = RP
    Gilga = raiding from my understanding. (stop raiding years ago.)

IMO wait for a high pop server to open up late at nite and make a toon. Also do not make a lalafell since they are the most hideous race ever created.

good luck in your search.

#femroe
    You cared enough to post.

Quote Originally Posted by Xkittenprincessx View Post
    Well that's what I was expecting when I got the game, the FFXI community feel. I guess Idude just like more people interaction, the free company I'm in hardly says two words to each other.
    Sorry to hear that. Sounds like you were just unlucky in the FC department.

I'd highly recommend either Balmung or Excalibur as far as high population friendly servers go for friendly active FCs (you will still find your fair share of jerks though). I personally am on Excalibur in the Free Company Light Bringers where over half of us came from FFXI. You're more than welcome to come and join our motley crew, I know I've enjoyed it immensely since joining nearly two years ago, just a few months after launch. If interested, and you're able to get a character on Excalibur post again and I'll get in touch in game =)

As @icausewipes says though, to get onto high population servers you'll need to sign on pretty early or very late to bypass the server character creation restriction.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by icausewipes View Post
    Also do not make a lalafell since they are the most hideous race ever created.
    My Cowboy Potato disagrees with your statement

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Check the free company standings for your server

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodest...ing/fc/weekly/

Sort it a few different ways. Pick one of the top 3 based on the description given in game. (do a /sea in game. find someone with the free company initials. right-click him and select "company profile". read what they have to say)

That's a crazy way that severely handicap your choice. I'm sure there's a lot of great friendly FCs that are not in the top 3. However, it is sure to get you a somewhat large and active FC... it might not indicate how friendly or helpful they are, but one would have to assume that the larger and more active they are the more chance that they are also chatting and playing around.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutler View Post
    My Cowboy Potato disagrees with your statement
    I just see a sexy picture hanging HIGH on your wall.
    You cared enough to post.

15+ Year Old Account
    I just see a sexy picture hanging HIGH on your wall.
    gotta rep the maelstrom even though i live in the goblet.

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

10+ Year Old Account
    Washington state, united states of america.
    Server?
    Class?
    Interest?

I'm on Balmung / Gilgamesh and both are considered high pop, but for different reasons.

Balmung = RP
    Gilga = raiding from my understanding. (stop raiding years ago.)

IMO wait for a high pop server to open up late at nite and make a toon. Also do not make a lalafell since they are the most hideous race ever created.

good luck in your search.

#femroe
    I think Lalafels are Adorbs. However they can't be hot or sexy in any context. The hottest and sexiest is Roegadyn for female and Miqo'ti for male. Roagadyn are incredibly attractive imho. With those big muscles and big boobs... Sadly they feel awkward as all hell as a Ninja so I can't play one.
    Let's get 1 thing straight, I'm not

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by serendipity11 View Post
    I think Lalafels are Adorbs. However they can't be hot or sexy in any context. The hottest and sexiest is Roegadyn for female and Miqo'ti for male. Roagadyn are incredibly attractive imho. With those big muscles and big boobs... Sadly they feel awkward as all hell as a Ninja so I can't play one.
    Once you go ROE, you'll never wanna go.

Give in to the roe side young serendipity11.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...-Show-your-Roe!!

348 pages of sexiness.

10+ Year Old Account

FC Officer changed to Roe - was one for like 2-3 hours and changed back. Think I remember hearing something about their running.

Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    FC Officer changed to Roe - was one for like 2-3 hours and changed back. Think I remember hearing something about their running.
    The one running animation that bugs me more than others is female midlander, with the arm flail effect they have. Switched to highlander and haven't looked back.

Might make a Roe to see how theirs looks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Washington state, united states of america.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...-Show-your-Roe!!

348 pages of sexiness.
    Have you seen a Roe ninja? Neither have I. Probably for the best of everyone's eyes . Ninja combat stance is so incredibly awkward especially on tall toons. But yay they're uber sexy. Especially the red ones.
    Let's get 1 thing straight, I'm not

Quote Originally Posted by serendipity11 View Post
    Have you seen a Roe ninja? Neither have I. Probably for the best of everyone's eyes . Ninja combat stance is so incredibly awkward especially on tall toons. But yay they're uber sexy. Especially the red ones.
    Roe ninja confirmed as best of all ninja.

(I'm a stereotypical miqo'te ninja)

Keyboard Turner Thorns and Spells's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Ffxiv

FFXIV has a great community! I played XI too and was surprised how much XIV felt like home. I got into a guild within my first hour of being online, they hooked me up with free stuff and helped me out a lot.

One thing about XI though, is it didn't have the competition that FFXIV deals with today; and there wasn't some other Final Fantasy MMO to pull ideas from. FFXIV obviously reused graphics from XI, took ideas from more mainstream MMOs, etc. which may cheapen the experience slightly. The people have been really nice to me though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get a WOW account, play up to Lv20, and spend some time in the main cities and make sure pug some dungeon runs.

Then come back to FFXIV, what a lovely community.

Final Fantasy XIV has a garbage Terms and Conditions system - they got a language filter, but allow permanent bans for curse words (something for those easily offended to fix by turning on language filters) and allows for harassment by /tell's to people for the purpose of slander. The game condones and in some cases encourages early-pulling of rare Hunts and offers no justice against offenders, wasting many individual's precious time. First come, first serve, boo-hoo. FFXIV is an awful community and enforced by english-native tyrants. IMO, get a World of Warcraft account. Square-enix dropped the ball on this game hard, and the patches and content is very meh and doesn't offer you the legacy of accomplishment

Quote Originally Posted by vassago19 View Post
    rant rant rant I made a forum account specifically to diss this game rant rant rant
    Obligatory image macro.

Now with that out of the way, I've been playing for a couple weeks now and I'm thoroughly enjoying myself. I'm sure some of it is the shiny and new factor, it might change when I've exhausted the story content and am just down to chasing bigger numbers day in and day out, but I'll be sticking with it for the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by vassago19 View Post
    Final Fantasy XIV has a garbage Terms and Conditions system - they got a language filter, but allow permanent bans for curse words (something for those easily offended to fix by turning on language filters) and allows for harassment by /tell's to people for the purpose of slander. The game condones and in some cases encourages early-pulling of rare Hunts and offers no justice against offenders, wasting many individual's precious time. First come, first serve, boo-hoo. FFXIV is an awful community and enforced by english-native tyrants. IMO, get a World of Warcraft account. Square-enix dropped the ball on this game hard, and the patches and content is very meh and doesn't offer you the legacy of accomplishment
    Oh no, someone pulled a hunt mob before you got there.