Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Yes, according to the law there's a difference. Don't like the law? Vote people in power who want to change it.
    Youre referring to articles 111,112,113 of the dutch penal code, all dating from the year 1881. As with many other countries there are old laws that dont make any sense no more (the brits i.e. Have a law against wearing a harnass in the house or parliament, another one against dying there) here in holland we it is illegal to collect dry wood (it is considered poaching) or that you cannot lock intruders in your toilet till the police arrive.

While it is true that these laws should be removed the truth is that our so called officers of justice make the decision whether to prosecute in name of the state or not, and they are supposed to keep an eye on the times. As this is an archaic and stupid law, they shouldnt have prosecuted here. Not that im surprises tho, our law system is a joke (murdering a major politician gets you 10 years in jail with a state pais law degree and a headline article in a national paper.)

A king getting more protection than everyone else is not of todays world, and seems really snobby on their part. For instance it makes me think, Fuck the king.. Lets get rid of him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gombado View Post
    A king getting more protection than everyone else is not of todays world, and seems really snobby on their part. For instance it makes me think, Fuck the king.. Lets get rid of him.
    Go vote people in power who want to get rid of him then. Until then maybe you should refrain from defaming the king. It's not that hard really besides no normal Dutch citizen will ever be arrested for this, just some fringe guys who are either mentally retarded or people this country is simply better off without anyway.

Deleted
    Haha what a clickbait title.

Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    He also manipulated a photograph of an IS execution and replaced the heads of the victims with that of Willem-Alexander, judges were told.
    Jailed for "insulting" indeed...

Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    How come you are justifying this? or freedom of speech only applies to ME dictators?
    Point me to a country who's Law Enforcement wouldn't pursue this. At least 75% of the world you'd be jailed for life, or worse. And the other 25%? Eh, depends. Probably the same as this one. US citizens can get off their high horse, I absolutely refuse to believe the police wouldn't show up at your doorstep if you'd do the same with your current president.

E: That being said, I honestly don't care for the royals. They get paid way too much for what they do and are useless at that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    I don't see a problem in showing internet trolls who go too far, that it's unacceptable behavior.
    If that's what he'd be punished for. But he's being punished for insulting the king. Not for making threats, not for acting dangerous, but for insulting the king.
    If they wanted him out because he's crazy they could've just proven that and said st, but no.

Royalty are born into their position, given privilege for nothing, at the cost of EVERYONE paying taxes and should all be removed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jaycor11 View Post
    I don't have a problem with this. Republicans are scum.
    You sure are making royalists look great.

How come you are justifying this? or freedom of speech only applies to ME dictators?
    Do you know what freedom of speech means? No?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see a problem in showing internet trolls who go too far, that it's unacceptable behavior.
    I guess your comment would make sense if he was actually a "Troll that went too far" Seems more like a Citizen fed up with his King.

Deleted
    Right ... so being an internet troll gets you a higher sentence than killing someone, right, makes perfect sense ...

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgath View Post
    Right ... so being an internet troll gets you a higher sentence than killing someone, right, makes perfect sense ...
    Where do you get 30 days for murder? Point me such a place.

Actually, it would have to be less, as you claim.

Deleted
    Where do you get 30 days for murder? Point me such a place.

Actually, it would have to be less, as you claim.
    Netherlands actually, look up your own statistics ...

EDIT: Oh wait, I thought he got 30 years not days ... my mistake.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurgath View Post
    He wasn't even jailed. So I don't know where you get your information.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    no one should ever be punished for insulting royalties as they are considered nothing better than me in my eyes, especially the queen of england wearing her shiny diamond crown while giving a speech about why england has no money to help the poor

10+ Year Old Account
    to say anything you want no matter how hateful it is. at least that's how it is in france and the US.
    France has a hate speech law. The Netherlands as well.

to say anything you want no matter how hateful it is. at least that's how it is in france and the US.
    Would you care to try the same trick the guy did in your human rights Arabia? You can say what you want, but there's consequences written in the law for slander. In your fair little country, you'd probably get executed for what the guy in the article did.

So much for "freedom of speech" right?

Deleted
    a) this is slander, different from insulting or satire

b) prison is still an excessive sentence for this

c) seeing people so eager to reduce freedom of speech, I look forward to the day when we will be sent to prison for insulting kings and governments, but also CEOs and companies

"for ‘lèse-majesté’, which means the crime of ‘offending the dignity of the monarch'" - let's make a "lèse-corporatio" for offending the dignity of the corporation

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    a) this is slander, different from insulting or satire

b) prison is still an excessive sentence for this

c) seeing people so eager to reduce freedom of speech, I look forward to the day when we will be sent to prison for insulting kings and governments, but also CEOs and companies

"for ‘lèse-majesté’, which means the crime of ‘offending the dignity of the monarch'" - let's make a "lèse-corporatio" for offending the dignity of the corporation
    Not to worry, US corporations probably have it planned, seeing how they already own the country and it's people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not to worry, US corporations probably have it planned, seeing how they already own the country and it's people.
    I know Trump is eager for it.
    "We're going to open up libel laws, and we're going to have people sue you like you've never got sued before."
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Insulting people has everything to do with free speech. This guy got tossed in jail for insulting someone. Would that have happened in the United States? Nope.
    No, that is just a mistranslation, he was charged for diffamation, not for insults.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Not something I would be proud of to be honest.
    Which is something I would not be proud of.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Well, it is the Dutch who have their laws. Criticizing a ruler is apparently not allowed. Here, any citizen who is not in the Armed forces or in a position which may bring condemnation down on who you represent, can say what they want about the President or other American rulers as long as they do not threaten them. We do not have total freedom of speech. But pretty damn close.
    Pleaes inform yourself of what really happened. Obviously you just read the misleading headline.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    If that's what he'd be punished for. But he's being punished for insulting the king. Not for making threats, not for acting dangerous, but for insulting the king.
    No, he is not. That is just the purposeful mistranslation in the title speaking.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMediator View Post
    Not outside America, "where at least I know I'm free".

I'm typically not the "God Bless America" type but that's pretty fucking obnoxious, throwing a guy in jail because he insulted you.
    thats why Muricans also get arrestet for saying shit on the internet nice freedom of speech .. why do Muricans always think they are superior Humans..

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    No, that is just a mistranslation, he was charged for diffamation, not for insults.

- - - Updated - - -

Which is something I would not be proud of.

- - - Updated - - -

Pleaes inform yourself of what really happened. Obviously you just read the misleading headline.

- - - Updated - - -

No, he is not. That is just the purposeful mistranslation in the title speaking.
    The bar for such things is still far higher in the United States, especially in regards to public figures.