Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I didn't have any problems with MoP's daily quests, especially when you compare that to what WoD offers at the level cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Frakchaw View Post
    People, as per usual, felt they HAD to do all the dailies.

And thus the whine about "too many dailies" started.

I personally only did the Golden Lotus and Shado-Pan for the transmog/mounts. I got my drops during raids anyway.
    I never remember having to do dailies. Same as you tbh I did a few for the mounts and that was it. Gear was a bonus since 463 with bits upgraded to 471 at the time was fine to progress MSV in.

Its not "too much content" dude its too little.
    There was nothing to do in the world in MoP other than those dailies, and there was way too damn many of them. Took way too long to complete them every day and all the issues they said about them are correct. There was no incentive to do them each day other than it was the fasted way to the 489 peice at the end of the tunnel.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Their problem has always been lack of content and their worries is "too much content"? That's complete bullshit and he knows it.

after rereading, its obvious you are misunderstanding what they said.
    They mean "there were too many to do each day" which lead it to be very boring and repetitive.
    They are NOT saying "we added way too much content to the game"

If they added those 50 some world quests and they WEREN'T mandatory for pre-raid bis after 3-4 weeks then we would have a different perspective on this, but they took whole days of your life away doing them when you could have done something else you wanted to do.

World quests solve this problem, so nothing more to discuss.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by Silverware View Post
    Literally the only issue with MoP dailies was locking August Celestials behind Golden Lotus, when August Celestials for a lot of people was the only rep that mattered.

All they had to do was not lock reps behind reps again, and everything would've been gravy.

Instead they take a chainsaw to the problem and remove dailies completely.

Cool solution, Blizzard.
    YES! I was hoping someone would mention this...the dailies themselves weren't the problem it was locking on rep behind another rep.

This was PUNISHING for alts...Why do I need to get exalted with the same faction 10 times?

I still argue rep should be account wide but that idea doesnt seem to agree with Blizzard's philosophy of punishing people that have alts.

Ohh and now we have another non shared currency coming in Legion, nice job Blizz

Quote Originally Posted by middling View Post
    YES! I was hoping someone would mention this...the dailies themselves weren't the problem it was locking on rep behind another rep.

This was PUNISHING for alts...Why do I need to get exalted with the same faction 10 times?

I still argue rep should be account wide but that idea doesnt seem to agree with Blizzard's philosophy of punishing people that have alts.

Ohh and now we have another non shared currency coming in Legion, nice job Blizz
    You didn't NEED to at all.

Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    EDIT: sorry about the * in title I should not have left that there. If a mod could replace it with a space I'd appreciate it

Mod Note: Done {ML}

From the latest World Quests interview summary on the front page.

I will never understand this mentality. How can you have "too much" content, let alone see it as a problem? I don't believe that there are diminishing returns to releasing more content, especially at their current levels of content release. The problem with MoP wasn't that there were "too many daily quests". It was the rewards structure. And it is the same problem that will plague Legion (with Legendaries, Artifact Power, Titanforged, etc.)

I think that the devs being afraid of releasing too much content is the least of their problems right now. I just hope that this philosophy isn't widely accepted around the office and that they aren't rationing content like a drip in fear of releasing too much.
    My only complaint with MoP dailies was that storyline was locked behind them. Beyond that.... complaining about how they worked was terribly shortsighted, especially considering how content tends to get released in this game.

Deleted
    The only problems with daily quests which I had in MoP have been these: Double-gating of reputation (finish Golden Lotus before you can do some other reputations) was the major culprit, and awarding too little reputation per quest was the lesser thing.

Since I usually want to get all available reputations from an expansion (except such which mutually exclude each other), I was not happy about that. I was also not happy that I had to finish 2 reputations before I could even think about making new tailor bags.

Beside that, I could live with MoP daily concept quite well, though I welcomed the change with the bonus reputation tokens for alts and the possibility to farm reputation with growing food at my farm.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    I.. actually liked that.. If you wanted to be ahead of the game, you had to work more for it. I know gating is sorta bad, but it was a good way to have people run it.
    yeah i dont mind it once. i did it on my main character without feeling sick about it. but doing them on all alts hit burn out on alot of people. alts are optional but one of the exalted crafting recipes was an epic bag slot or those best in slot bracers enchants. i didnt have enchanting or tailor on my main

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    This is a decent example of the great divide between those who raid and those who don't. Most don't if you don't count Raid Finder and you certainly didn't have to religiously do dailies to manage that.

Yet everyone had to deal with much less in the way of content during Warlords and dailies of this sort were removed entirely.

It's not the fault of anyone who raids. Many raiders complained very loudly about this for months at the start of Mists. And I very much agree that the gating of reputation behind reputation was a singularly bad idea for everyone.

Nonetheless, raiders were appeased at the expense of nearly everyone else. It is to be hoped that Blizzard is at last figuring this out. I watched all of the chat from today and think they're on the right track. Hope they stay there.
    They just miss handled they way you would grind rep and what rep gave people. The players also made a much bigger deal about it then was needed. In reality as a raider you really only needed 1 or 2 factions at a time. People acting like they were being forced to do the golden dragon rep for example were just making themselves victims. I do understand being stuck behind the choice of doing what is best for pvp/pve and what you want to do for fun though. I even saw some carry over of this when HFC launched and people wanted the mount right away and raid leaders wanted people getting upgraded baleful gear with perfect stat break downs. Then again sometimes this is just the price you pay if you want to raid. It is also the price raiders that are stuck right on the edge of one difficulty wanting to rise to the next pay the most.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cathbadh View Post
    Agreed. Had those vendors had toys, mounts, and even gear, it wouldn't have been a problem. But weapon enchants and belt buckles and other stuff like that? You had no choice. Combine that with the fact that before you got do do many of your dailies you also had to go do Golden Lotus dailies (whoever though that locking dailies behind more dailies was nuts) and the burnout came fast.

A great point that is often over looked is made here
    Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    The problem was, it wasn't a lot of content- it was a relatively small number of quests repeated every other day. You just had to do a small amount of content over and over. That's the distinction they're making with World Quests- they're a far greater variety in actual quests available.
    Doing the same 4 to 6 quests daily is one hell of a way to make people hate a quest that at some point they might have actually enjoyed. Even Tanaans version of dailies improved upon this because they gave multiple ways to finish the same quest or ways to do two or more quests at once. Give somebody a choice even the illusion of choice and they are much happier.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

I had a blast with MoP dailys and thought most of the factions were fantastic. The problem was not the amount of dailys, but rather that some of the factions rewarded valor gear, and hence were mandatory for the sake of gear progression. The most grating of these factions being the Shado-Pan and August Celestials, which was gated behind The Golden Lotus. Klaxxi was another one of these, but I'd argue those dailys were the more interesting ones of the lot, with the Klaxxi buffs.

On the opposite side you had completely optional factions like The Tillers, Order of the Cloud Serpent, Lorewalkers and Anglers. Tillers and Order of the Cloud Serpent are good examples of optional progression. With the Tillers you had the farm, which you could progress on for more plots, or cosmetically. Cloud Serpent had you go on a journey of raising your own cloud serpent from it's infancy to adulthood.

The lesson to be learned here is not that there was too much content, but to not shoehorn the player into one particular path for gear progression.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khubbo View Post
    yeah i dont mind it once. i did it on my main character without feeling sick about it. but doing them on all alts hit burn out on alot of people. alts are optional but one of the exalted crafting recipes was an epic bag slot or those best in slot bracers enchants. i didnt have enchanting or tailor on my main
    Well, none forced it to be done on alts, though.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by D-angeL View Post
    Several issues there:

1.) locked/gated reps

2.) Reps do take long, tolerable for mains, not so much for people with a few alts: Getting your reputations up from neutral to exalted means roughly 43k rep. On average you got 1250 rep per daily hub, meaning about 34 days. There were 4-5 highly relevant factions on launch(9 in total).

3.) Valor gear (489) was locked behind being revered with 4 of the highly relevant factions. That valor gear was equal to MSV. However they opened HoF (496) a month into the expansion, making that valor gear quite irrelevant (483 was LFR).
    The valor gear wasn’t simply locked behind reps, you also had a weekly cap of 1000, meaning you could get a maximum of 4000 till HoF was unlocked, to then be slightly above LFR gear, but LFR offered tier bonuses.

4.) This was a huge design shift in world/non-raid content. Prior to this you had valor gear that was just locked behind valor points on par with relevant nm raid gear in addition to a few pieces of rep gear that was on par with relevant nm raid gear.
    People tend to "forget" about all of the above when talking about dailies in MoP. Especially that all of the above represented a massive paradigm-shift going from WotLK/Cata to MoP in terms of gearing through valour outside of raids. There were not too many dailies in MoP, Blizzard simply messed big time all the relevant reward systems.

Quote Originally Posted by nekobaka View Post
    Sadly the bulk of it came from altohalics on the Official forums that did have time. They just leveled a bunch of alts during the content lull and expected to play all their alts just as they did prior.
    Yeah I remember when the expansion had only been out for 3 months seeing someone complaining that he didn't have enough time to do all the dailies everyday on all 9 of his alts and still spend time with his family.

There's a yes and no. A pool of 90+ dailies is good in that by having a larger pool combined with some randomization the quests wear out slower than with a small pool and little to no randomization. But then they had a huge number of the dailies available each day, with one faction having something like 15 or so (and that being a required faction), faction requirements for spending valor, a valor spending requirement for the legendary quest (since you could not earn past your total valor cap, it was required that you be able to spend valor to earn your weekly cap for all six weeks), and dailies for a required faction locking out the dailies for other factions. The faction gating was particularly stupid since you had already done leveling quests for those very factions. You weren't a stranger to them, and suddenly being required to prove yourself worthy of questing for them was nonsensical. There were two genuinely optional flavor factions (something I really liked) and one semi-optional faction which offered the ability to just do some fun things in addition to allowing you to literally farm materials for crafting.

So there were tons of quests which by itself is a good thing, but the way in which Blizzard presented some of them resulted a feeling of way too much that all had to be done ASAP in order to progress is what was bad. Had Golden Lotus not gated factions, allowing you to quest for anyone you wanted from the start, and there were no faction requirements to spend the unstoppable flow of Valor you got from doing EVERYTHING points then it would have felt far less overwhelming. Not gating with Golden Lotus would have also spread out the questing population allowing people to quest in a more relaxed manner rather than having to compete with everyone until people were allowed to move on from that faction.

Problem wasnt that the dailyies existed, the problem was players can't limit themselves.

No self control tends to be a trait in todays gamers
    There is the sad paradox of a world which is more and more sensitive about being politically correct, almost to the point of ridicule, yet does not wish to acknowledge or to respect believers’ faith in God

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pourekos View Post
    People tend to "forget" about all of the above when talking about dailies in MoP. Especially that all of the above represented a massive paradigm-shift going from WotLK/Cata to MoP in terms of gearing through valour outside of raids. There were not too many dailies in MoP, Blizzard simply messed big time all the relevant reward systems.
    And they messed it up in WoD even more. A single max upgraded Apexis piece costed up to 36,500 crystals that’s 45.6 solo apexis areas (they reward 800 per completion don’t they?)

And what did you get in return? A piece of 655 gear – which is the ilvl of highmaul nm or brf. The time investment is nowhere justified and way worse than MoP.

Same for world bosses. Ever since their introduction they were relevant in their tier. Even in late SoO people still ran the Celestials and Ordos for pieces. The initial world bosses in WoD dropped items that were below their tier(s) on even normal mode.

Was there world content in WoD? Yeah. However that was not relevant from the very beginning, apart from being super boring grinds (without any explanation or introduction into the areas). Even on TI you had quests that introduced you into the different subareas and what to do and what to expect. Apart from that: I’ve never seen such disconnected zones, reps being stationed in captials or garrison instead of being in some sort of town in the respective zones.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Borden View Post
    Ignorant fool.
    Actually, you just proved that you are an ignorant fool.

10+ Year Old Account
    I unsubbed when I got to 90 and found that I then had to grind a whole bunch of boring quests for rep over a lengthy period in order to make any progress. If they want to get on my good side then saying how much they want to get away from that endgame grind is a good way to do it.