Thread: No Man's Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Iseeyou View Post
    Im very curious about the "TRADE" trailer.

Exploring is already cool, if they manage to make some economy between players somehow, i ll instant preorder.
    Sorry, but this game will not have any player driven economy, any at all. Abandon your hope for it. There is no possible trading available between players, no trade to swap stuff, no auction, nothing, it's not EVE. In No Man's Sky Trading will only be available between a player and npcs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaughty8 View Post
    Sorry, but this game will not have any player driven economy, any at all. Abandon your hope for it. There is no possible trading available between players, no trade to swap stuff, no auction, nothing, it's not EVE. In No Man's Sky Trading will only be available between a player and npcs.
    On top of that, you can forget about ever playing this game with another human.

I dont think people actually understand how big a galaxy is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I have my positive thoughts about this game but not terribly much has been said about it outside of exploration. It's going to be one of those games that turns out to be one of the greatest games of all time or a complete flop like Spore.
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    On top of that, you can forget about ever playing this game with another human.

I dont think people actually understand how big a galaxy is.
    Which leads me to wonder if it's even coded in the game. Why go to the trouble of coding multiplayer support for such small chances of it actually being used by the player base? And if multiplayer DID exist.. why not allow friends to warp to each others location. I'm very sceptical.

How in-depth some of the systems are is what's really gonna matter I think. Like we know there's gonna be ship, weapon, and spacesuit blueprints, but if there's not a lot of variety or they don't really provide much of an upgrade then the game is literally just flying around and discovering things. If there's more to it and it has a good crafting system then it's gonna have a lot more staying power.

I've got 4 games on preorder for this year so far and this is the only one that's a gamble. At the very least I know flying around should be cool for a little bit, but if it has progression and something to keep you working toward then I think it'll probably be one of those games I could get at least 100 hours out of. I'm not really worried either way. I've got my expectations in check, but I'm realllly hoping there's more to it so it can be a better game than it appears to be on paper. There could either be a lot we don't know about it or nothing at all...

My goal for no mans sky is to conquer the entire games universe, though...that's impossible...sadly. I NEED A LEGION!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    How in-depth some of the systems are is what's really gonna matter I think. Like we know there's gonna be ship, weapon, and spacesuit blueprints, but if there's not a lot of variety or they don't really provide much of an upgrade then the game is literally just flying around and discovering things. If there's more to it and it has a good crafting system then it's gonna have a lot more staying power.
    Bingo! The crafting and upgrading sounds good on paper to me, but it all hinges on variety. Hopefully proc gen helps with that, but experience from Borderlands tells me otherwise -- there's only so many ways to make a gun shoot or features that a ship can have, the rest of it is just boring numbers. Likewise I feel like if technology is too scarce, it could reduce the feeling of progression to basically nothing, like having no metal in Dwarf Fortress in some fortresses, but clumps of magnetite and lignite on the surface in others (although DF is pretty good at giving ore at the right times).
    Shhhhh, she's doing magical trig bullshit trig substitutions

Quote Originally Posted by Tryuk View Post
    it could reduce the feeling of progression to basically nothing, like having no metal in Dwarf Fortress in some fortresses, but clumps of magnetite and lignite on the surface in others (although DF is pretty good at giving ore at the right times).
    This is likely what the trading system will be for. Vendors will offer mats in return for other specific mats. Some vendors may value things more than others depending on the area and how scarce or common certain items are in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    You wonder about it's crafting systems? Take a look at this video:
    more in my post: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post40385831
    it's a very simple crafting system

10+ Year Old Account
    You wonder about it's crafting systems? Take a look at this video:

more in my post: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post40385831
    it's a very simple crafting system
    To summarize up without needing to watch a long video: get element(s) and a blueprint, then make a useful thing. Supposedly you can also craft compounds out of elements that can be traded for more units (not in the video iirc), I wonder if that will need a blueprint. I personally hope that some blueprints will need these compounds, but I currently doubt it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope this game succeeds and does good things. but I'm afraid it will be meh.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    How do you get blue prints?

Not RNGrind is it? Please noooes, sick of that crap in Elite

Quote Originally Posted by Svinoi Banana View Post

I guess there are 3 ways:
    1. You have to grind materials + grind-craft modules and trade them for blueprints from NPCs
    2. You RNG-discover them during exploration (caves with monsters and loot?)
    3. You loot them from killing NPC races/ships etc (rare drop, like 1-3% drop-chance so if you decide to be evil...you must really mean it :P)
    Last edited by Slaughty8; 2016-07-15 at 11:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svinoi Banana View Post

https://repo.nmsdb.info/?info=Blueprints

That's pretty much what I was talking about, I hope it's not that much of a grind, but we won't know until it comes out.

very excited for this game.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Sony's marketing muscle along with $60 price tag certainly is enough to confuse people into thinking it's a AAA experience when it's not.
    But what is the requirements of a "AAA experience"? Price is irrelevant. Yes it is high for an "Indie" game but so what? People pay equal for less and for games they would potentially play less.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    Exactamundo. The "It's $60, it must be like, a full-on game" mentality is alive and well in the console world.
    It is a full on game though.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quoting this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTh...t_would_be_to/
    We know there are 18+ quintillions planets - more precisely, 264 planets.
    We know 64-bit number can have 18+ quintillions values, and each can be a seed for a different planet.
    We know every long integer (64-bit) number representing each of those 18+ quintillions unique values - is 8 bytes long (1 byte = 8 bit).
    So, how many GIGABYTES (Gb) of data would we need to store 18+ quintillions of those numbers (planet "seeds")? Easy math:
    8 x 264 bytes = 8 x 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 / 1,073,741,824 gigabytes = 137,438,953,472 Gb.
    This roughly is an equivalent of ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY SEVEN MILLIONS HARD DISK DRIVES required to store 64-bit seeds for each NMS planet ONLY, each one being 1Tb (1 terabyte = ~1000 Gb) capacity.
    Modern 3.5 inch hard disk drives of 1Tb capacity are 19mm of height. So, if you take modern 1Tb HDDs, fill them all with just a SEED of each NMS planet, and put those HDDs on top of each other - then the pile of HDDs would be 137,438,953 * 19mm = 2,611,340,107 mm ~= 2611 km high.
    It shows:
    1. That planets are not generated but the whole "18+ quintillions planets" phase only means "there are 18+ quintillions possible versions" and that's it. They can't generate that many because they need minimum 137,438,953,472 Gb. storage for that... so planets can't be pre-generated. The only exception could be the center of the galaxy.
    2. At the begining the planets will be generated for each of the players.

Basically, the games marketing is partially (if not completelly) filled with manipulation and false advertising or understatements. Well played for hyping many people.
    Last edited by Slaughty8; 2016-07-17 at 03:43 AM.

Deleted
    It shows:
    1. That planets are not generated but the whole "18+ quintillions planets" phase only means "there are 18+ quintillions possible versions" and that's it. They can't generate that many because they need minimum 137,438,953,472 Gb. storage for that... so planets can't be pre-generated. The only exception could be the center of the galaxy.
    2. At the begining the planets will be generated for each of the players.

Basically, the games marketing is partially (if not completelly) filled with manipulation and false advertising or understatements. Well played for hyping many people.
    That's like saying that the real planets in our real Universe don't exist because we can never visit them.

Also, you are aware that most games only load specific parts of the game world, and only when they're needed, and then unload those parts and put them back to "sleep"? Worlds in games aren't constantly active unless there's someone in that part of the world, needing it to be loaded.

How then is it different from all those planets being ready to be loaded, but inactive until someone finds them?
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2016-07-17 at 04:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    why would you play that disgusting counterfeit?

go play the original
    -Proffesional Necromancer-

The game produces stuff around you based on the seed+the procedural FUNCTION that generates the world+your location. When you move a bit forward, stuff behind you that you can't see anymore will disapear. If you move back, it will be calculated and generated again exactly the same way because the function will always give the same result with same input. That input is your location coordinates.

All that needs to be saved is base textures, models, ect. and the function that then uses that material to produce the stuff. This will take only the ~6Gb of diskspace (if I remember correctly).

The mathematical function takes much less space than pre generating the entire nms universe (that really cant be done...).