Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Will new gpu prices drop anymore?

Im looking into upgrading to a 1070, but wondering if or when the prices will start falling? I was hoping to get one for closer to 399.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Im looking into upgrading to a 1070, but wondering if or when the prices will start falling? I was hoping to get one for closer to 399.
    At some point one would think so. It really depends if we will finally stop buying overpriced items, so the supply will even out and suppliers start to fear they will get stuck with too many unsold cards. Atm though they dictate the price and we are paying for it.

Though more importantly, it really depends if AMD will launch the RX 490 and what it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought about getting the 480 or 1060, but they dont seem like big enough of an upgrade to pay 200-250 dollars.

If I had to hazard a guess, I wouldn't say that the 1070 or 1080 would drop in price significantly anytime soon.

This 1000 series release is insane ive never seen so much demand for a GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Marketing and communities have done their job. I do wonder though what do these people who bought a $1k 1080 feel, when they see the new Titan for $1k MSRP with 50% more performance.

What boggles my mind is why do people need this card so bad? Like 90% of the monitors on steam are 1080p or lower, but these people just NEED to have a 1070 or 1080 lol.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    I got my Asus Strix 1070 for $394 on jet.com. Usually the deals are for new customers but they sent me a couple 15% off coupon codes out of the blue.

MSRP isnt INSANE for a 1070 if you can get a strix. But if you are on a 60hz 1080p monitor you are doing it wrong.

Deleted
    Hmmm, demand might be normal but supply might be low...

The 450+ dollar/euro GPU market is smaller than below it. I can't imagine that the demand is much higher than say for the 980 or 980ti.

And as for the 1080p people wanting a 1070/1080, marketing. It is that simple.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have a little will power and patience, and the prices will drop. The more people that are willing to pay more than the MSRP price, the higher the prices will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post

Probably not, look at the pricing for the 970, had the same price 1 1/2 years after release! Only went down slighty when the new cards were announced and finally went down noticeably after their release.

So they might go down to the msrp but imo not below this for the next year.

10+ Year Old Account
    MSRP isnt INSANE for a 1070 if you can get a strix. But if you are on a 60hz 1080p monitor you are doing it wrong.
    I am, but my 380x cant play all games at 60 fps either. I want something more powerful, plus I plan on upgrading to either 1440p or 1080p 144hz in the next few months.

As long as Nvidia keep charging a premium for their founder edition cards, I don't think AIB partner are going to lower their price closer to MSRP for any of their custom cooled cards (except for those shitty cards with blower style cooler). Why ?! You may ask, well it's simple, all custom cooler are quieter, cooler and can sustain higher clock than the reference design, so why should they sell you a better product for less than a FE?!
    Last edited by DarkBlade6; 2016-07-15 at 10:29 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think the 1080s have more room to fall back down into place than the 1070s, but we'll see how soon it is...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DarkBlade6 View Post
    As long as Nvidia keep charging a premium for their founder edition cards, I don't think AIB partner are going to lower their price closer to MSRP for any of their custom cooled cards (except for those shitty cards with blower style cooler). Why ?! You may ask, well it's simple, all custom cooler are quieter, cooler and can sustain higher clock than the reference design, so why should they sell you a better product for less than a FE?!
    I've seen some of the custom ones under the Founders' prices, FWIW.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    That's because some AIBs actually went and did their barebones edition and slapped a decent cooler on it without major modifications. Something like the cheapest Gigabyte is just that it doesn't perform much if any better than the FE, but is WAY cheaper. But in reality as long as they can sell them, their better designs(with custon PCB etc) are going to stay near or above the FE price, because they view those as superior products.

what does AIB stand for? You mean partner-cards, right?

Quote Originally Posted by coprax View Post
    what does AIB stand for? You mean partner-cards, right?
    Add-in-board. Means partner customized designs, as opposed to reference - chip manufacturer design.

Waiting a year or more for a 50 dollar discount seems kind of silly. 1070 is slightly better performance than gtx 980ti and Titan, with the newer architecture. We all know at one point pascal will outperform maxwell, so it'll likely be even better down the road. These a lot of 1070's around. The 1080 is kind of stupid right now. Lucky if you find one under 1000.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I think the 1080s have more room to fall back down into place than the 1070s, but we'll see how soon it is...

- - - Updated - - -

Yes there are many AIB cards cheaper than the FE, but its still no where near MSRP. I'm just saying that if Nvidia released the FE at MSRP, your typical AIB card with a reference pcb and a decent custom cooler and not much OC out of the box would only cost like what ... 5-20$ above MSRP? Now the basic custom card cost 30-40-50$ over MSRP, but it's still a good ''Deal'' because its cheaper than the FE!!
    Last edited by DarkBlade6; 2016-07-16 at 12:24 PM.