Page 32 of 104 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    The military and law enforcement agencies are some of the strongest supporters of the 2nd Amendment. They will be right alongside the people. The 2nd Amendment allows him to fight against the government that is trying to take away his freedoms, the military would almost certainly be on his side.
    Holy fucking shit, are you incapable of reading? I NEVER SAID OTHERWISE.

Volkanik is the one claiming the military will attempt a coup, not me. One more time: Volkanik is the one claiming his guns will save him from the US military not me.

I agree with you that the US military would not attempt a coup without the backing of the citizens.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    Would be cool if we could get Constantinople back in Christian hands. But I doubt that's happening.
    Oh. Well I didn't expect to run into you here Metro.

So can anyone fill me in, is this Esteban dude the reason why Turkey has been such a piece of shit?
    I level warriors, I have 48 max level warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I agree it's about wanting them. I'm arguing that the idea that the 2nd amendment is going to protect citizens from the government or the military is nonsense.
    It can protect people, just not in a conventional war. The sheer number of Americans with firearms, if they managed to organize, would be a difficult thing to deal with.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dubious_doomhammer View Post
    Hitting a tank with sticks ... really? ><
    Don't underestimate sticks.

Deleted
    A military coup happening in Turkey? Lets talk about America!

Quote Originally Posted by Blade Wolf View Post
    But once your wanting starts treading over peoples lives, then maybe take a step back and think about it.
    The simple act of owning a gun does not cause any harm whatsoever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dubious_doomhammer View Post
    Erdogan apparently seeking asylum in Britain after being refused by Germany.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/...ny-report.html

Looks like he lost then.

Quote Originally Posted by Undead Puppy View Post
    Meh... lets not delude ourselves, people don't want Constantinople back for religious reasons. That's more of a veiled disguise for the real reason people are sore about it: A historically important european city taken over by muslims that we never got back.
    It's like a black stain on european history that most people feel the need to correct.
    It's more of a case of "they took our stuff and we want it back" mentality more than anything else. I'm pretty sure most christians in Europe don't give a damn about the city, and are even more against spilling blood over it... again.
    As a Greek I will tell you what I think of "Constantinople" and Thrace.

It's Turkish, it must remain Turkish unless the people in the regions decide they want to belong to their own country or part of a neighbouring one through a free vote. Rest of the world can cry all day and night.

It's not about necessity, it's about what people want. Freedom is awesome.
    And that's fine. But the ability to overthrow the government by armed civilians alone is not an argument that has any weight behind it because it's not based in reality.

There are other reasons, better reasons, that can be given.

This is more from the point of view of what you need for a successful coup though anyway. Overthrowing governments without any military support is at best going to lead to a lengthy civil war. And that's if you've got a proper arms dealer to sell you hardware that's banned anyway.

Why does everything have to turn into a Second Amendment argument. This thread is about Turkey.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    A bunch of rice farmers with a 3rd grade education did and a bunch of goat herders did just recently. The US military would fracture in the event of a second civil war and much of that military might would be aimed back at the Government.
    Which again makes the 2nd amendment redundant. Either the military protects the populace or they steamroll them. Either way the populace is essentially powerless.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

7+ Year Old Account
    this shit isnt about murica stay on topic or leave.

Formerly known as Arafal

Excuse me, so I will summarize. Turks are stupid to go stand up against the military and tell them to stop (an approach that is naive but work far better than ''firing on them with my handgun'' if it's a tank ahead of them), while half of threads about gun controls ends up with dudes claiming that they need to stand about the gubinement ?

10+ Year Old Account
    They would be alongside the military, fighting against the government. That doesn't mean the people shouldn't also be allowed to be armed, if they so choose.
    The original quote that started this was something along the lines of "a coup wouldn't happen in the US because we have the second amendment and the people with their guns would stop the military."

But even in the completely separate scenario you're mentioning, the people don't need guns if they've got the military on their side.

The second amendment is still a thing because people like guns, not because they need them to prevent tyranny.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Why does everything have to turn into a Second Amendment argument. This thread is about Turkey.
    Why? Because Americans can't ever not bring up the 2nd Amendment.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

1) I'm really curious what will NATO do about this crisis.
    2) And I'm really damn worried that ISIS might take advantage of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Undead Puppy View Post
    Meh... lets not delude ourselves, people don't want Constantinople back for religious reasons. That's more of a veiled disguise for the real reason people are sore about it: A historically important european city taken over by muslims that we never got back.
    It's like a black stain on european history that most people feel the need to correct.
    It's more of a case of "they took our stuff and we want it back" mentality more than anything else. I'm pretty sure most christians in Europe don't give a damn about the city, and are even more against spilling blood over it... again.
    It's not just that. Imo Constantinople is the most beautiful city in the world. A living paradise. Anyway I am a Greek, they taught us at schools that Constantinople was ours, however I have absolutely no claims over it as I hope my Turkish brothers have no claims over any current Greek territory.

Deleted
    The simple act of owning a gun does not cause any harm whatsoever.
    It does, that's why in almost every civilized country you'll be imprisoned if you're found with one.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    The original quote that started this was something along the lines of "a coup wouldn't happen in the US because we have the second amendment and the people with their guns would stop the military."

But even in the completely separate scenario you're mentioning, the people don't need guns if they've got the military on their side.

The second amendment is still a thing because people like guns, not because they need them to prevent tyranny.
    The "need" for guns comes with the possibility of unexpected scenarios. It's not as if the entire government or military will act in lockstep, so people still feel the obligation to protect themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal123 View Post
    this shit isnt about murica stay on topic or leave.
    I agree. volkanik jumped in, dropped a derailment bombshell and left. Let's stop talking about American stuff and stay on topic.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!