Page 36 of 104 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreeshak View Post
    It will be interesting for Erdogan to win, and him (Erdogan) know or suspect USA was behind the coup. Really really interesting.
    He'll blame the EU for denying turkey EU status.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

Deleted
    Can we stop talking about the US on this thread? This is an internal turkish affair.

Deleted
    Where is everyone saying "Oh it looks like a failure, gg" getting their information from? All the live news sources just say it's ongoing.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    The explosions and deaths are just special effects?
    Wouldn't be a very convincing fake coup if there wasn't some death and fighting.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Andyssian View Post
    1) I'm really curious what will NATO do about this crisis.
    2) And I'm really damn worried that ISIS might take advantage of this.
    ISIS is beeing delivered weapons,money and logistical support form Erdogan. Hopefully this coup KICKS out Erdogan, and all hes corrupt religous friends (like 20 % of turkey economy is in erdogan clans hand, biggest construction enterprise is ownd by a relative and stuff like that)

And turkey might go back to become a decent 2nd world country , after erdogan systematically destroyed all remnants of a demacratic sacular state, that turkey once was.

From an european pov, a military junta couldnt be worse (even if they tried hard) than what erdogan is doing to his country.

What i reallly find funny is that erdogan phonecalls turkish tv and tells there (via cellphone broadcast) that his people should rise against the coup... the same people he teargassed like on a weekly base with his brutal police force for over a decade. no many followed his call, it seems.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreeshak View Post
    It will be interesting for Erdogan to win, and him (Erdogan) know or suspect USA was behind the coup. Really really interesting.
    He might instead accuse Germany of it, he seems them as his primary enemy. lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    The USA is certainly not behind this coup.
    Was it the Nazis?

Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    Germany denied him, so he has to try elsewhere, people now saying England.
    Does any official German authority announced that he asked and we denied? Otherwise I would be inclined to believe it is a rumor.
    In such a sensitive issue, governments tend not to leak information.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    This is a fake-ass coup. They didn't arrest no minister, no parliamentarian, nothing. Just blockaded the roads and airport. Nothing more than a staged event to gain political leverage.
    I'm starting to think this as well.
    If this was a real coup then it was done poorly. They should have cut the head off the snake immediately and cut all media/internet so the government couldn't mobilize its supporters.

Who knows what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    So if he is in a plane right now, and nobody allows him to land, where does he go? You only have so much fuel.
    Fun fiction: Erdogan's plane, tries to refuel in Greece, the Greeks deny and shoot it down.... hell unleashes!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    And even then NATO wont intervene if it was a NATO country who initiated the attack and/or DoW.
    Oficially no, sure, but if the official goverment of Turkey asks other NATO countries (i.e. their allies) for help, then it becomes a major headache for NATO.
    If they refuse, it creates this impression that NATO as a whole isn't really willing to help its members.
    If they do, it means basically sending troops to Turkey to stabilize the situation, which I think might not sit well with a lot of regular NATO countries' people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Nah, your typical US backed coup is to install a King, or radical cleric, this just isn't our style.
    I would love to know when you think US last installed either of those, I really would.
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seja Victrix View Post
    Where is everyone saying "Oh it looks like a failure, gg" getting their information from? All the live news sources just say it's ongoing.
    It's typical of some countries' attention span. If you can't have a three act drama resolved in 2 hours it's a flop

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seja Victrix View Post
    They are pulling it out of their asses as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    Once again, it's true that the good old ''coup the elected leader and replace him with a general'' worked so well for the USA in the long run, isn'it ?

And as someone implied, coup can suceed or fail-if the coup fail...

(This is why, incidentally, Western countries are pretty obviously trying to ascertain who is in control and who is likely to remain in control-if they back the army and Erdogan win...)
    Ridiculous. Ridiculous and stupid.

The US has little to gain and little to lose either way. Erdogan was generally doing what we wanted anyway. Sure he gave a hard time about it and dragged his feet, but he was playing ball. The Turkish Military wouldn't play so much more ball that destabilizing the country would be worth it.

This about it like this. Lets say we schemed to do this to get the Turkish Military to invade Syria. That would require probably 70,000 troops, minimum on Turkey's part. To sustain a coup, the TUrkish military will have to deploy several times that, to Turkey, just to maintain it's grip on power. So it's ultimately futile.

The US, like the EU, is just going to let the Turks slap themselves around a little bit and we'll be friends with whoever wins. It doesn't really matter who is in charge of Turkey. It matters that they do what we want. That is largely already happening. Cui bono? Basically nobody. But the US doesn't exactly lose either no matter what, just by sitting this one out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Yeah, that's bullshit. You and your buddies with your small arms aren't going to stop the US military. Where do people get these ideas?
    The God Blessed Sainted soldiers would ignore their orders and side with the Good and God Fearing Loyal Citizens Of The United States Of Blessed America.

Reeve, I'd have thought you'd have heard this propaganda living in Texas, I did when I lived in Houston.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Looks like a failure, too bad.
    I don't know how you can judge that right now as a failure, while it's still on-going...

anyway, reports say that right now, people have tried to cross the bospherus bridge, and army soldiers had shot at them. and that there are injured.

If the desirable outcome is ''the Turkish military take power'', then it's a bad idea to refuse asylum to Erdogan.

Kill the elected President : PR disaster.

The elected president cowardly flee abroad : PR bonanza ! We did not actually took power, we just stepped in to feel the void....

(Check for instance the death of Charles I versus the exile of James II...)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Wouldn't be a very convincing fake coup if there wasn't some death and fighting.
    Would make a much more powerful image if Erdogan stayed and maybe even marched with the people in the streets, instead of fleeing. Why not take advantage of something like that if you want to fake a coup?

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyssian View Post
    Oficially no, sure, but if the official goverment of Turkey asks other NATO countries (i.e. their allies) for help, then it becomes a major headache for NATO.
    If they refuse, it creates this impression that NATO as a whole isn't really willing to help its members.
    If they do, it means basically sending troops to Turkey to stabilize the situation, which I think might not sit well with a lot of regular NATO countries' people.
    It would all depend on the reason for the initial attack. NATO is first and foremost a defence treaty. NATO would most certainly not get involved if Germany decided to conquer a non-NATO country for shits and giggles, for example.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)