Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempguy View Post
    Pack it up boys! We've been foiled again.
    They could have started with asking for an ID. At which point if he refused they'd have grounds to escalate. But they never did that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    Well technically they don't have to show him an unrelated warrant if he provided identification before the warrant is mentioned. However, they did have to provide it the moment they claimed to have an arrest warrant for the person in front of them before verifying.

If you accuse first, then you open the door for cases like this. That's why there's proper procedure to force cooperation that gets drilled into your fucking skulls for 6 months. It's one of the largest things taught there as it's one of the most important and preparation for situations you'll run into constantly.
    Yeah, they clearly never treat him as anything other than the man on the warrant.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempguy View Post
    Pack it up boys! We've been foiled again.
    "Excuse me sir do you have any sort of identity verification on your person? We're looking for a Michael ____ who lives at this residency."

That's all they had to do. That's literally all they fucking had to do in order to force him into just providing his ID and moving on with all of their lives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    They could have started with asking for an ID. At which point if he refused they'd have grounds to escalate. But they never did that.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, they clearly never treat him as anything other than the man on the warrant.
    Patrick was correctly identified as either a suspect or accomplice to suspect.

You're not arguing based on any observable reality. They walked up to him, asked his name, then attempted to detain him while saying he has a warrant. It was clearly an attempt at an arrest without any attempt to ID him or present said warrant.

I mean, fuck, the first 30 minute of Law and Order will cover this shit with greater clarity than you possess.
    read my post, yet again they didn't even have a physical copy of the warrant or even any details on the warrant.

Quote Originally Posted by Paula12345 View Post
    And still had to ask the question in the manner I stated above or risk problems. That exact structure is drilled into your head for months in training because it forces people to comply with simple requests, such as providing IDs, which also helps you avoid getting the wrong guy or having situations like this, or even letting the right guy get away.
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.

Neither of those are true. Like on any factual basis. They made no attempt to identify him. As evidenced by not asking for any identification.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vichan View Post
    read my post, yet again they didn't even have a physical copy of the warrant or even any details on the warrant.
    They had a name. They didn't even seek to match it against an ID.

And again, if they radio home for a copy of the warrant then one will be brought to their location as a top priority.

that just makes it even worse...

Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    "Excuse me sir do you have any sort of identity verification on your person? We're looking for a Michael ____ who lives at this residency."

That's all they had to do. That's literally all they fucking had to do in order to force him into just providing his ID and moving on with all of their lives.
    and all he had to do was hand them his i.d and moved on with all of their lives. see how this goes both ways?

Neither of those are true. Like on any factual basis. They made no attempt to identify him. As evidenced by not asking for any identification.

- - - Updated - - -

They had a name. They didn't even seek to match it against an ID.
    False.

Patrick was sitting outside Michaels house.

That immediately and correctly allows the police to identify him as a SUSPECT.

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    that just makes it even worse...
    that's standard protocol, in this area they'll have it ready when he gets to the police department

False.

Patrick was sitting outside Michaels house.

That immediately and correctly allows the police to identify him as a SUSPECT.
    At which point they ask for an ID. Arrest procedures don't change just because they think he's the guy. They still need to ID him and present a warrant. Rights don't go out the door just because some cop thinks you're the guy.

and all he had to do was hand them his i.d and moved on with all of their lives. see how this goes both ways?
    he was not legally required to. and because the police failed to follow proper procedure it is likely that anything they could bring against him will be thrown out in court.

Except this isn't a matter of opinion. I'm stating what is actually police protocol to avoid legal issues like the one happening. Police mishandled the stop and meant he was not legally required to provide identification until a copy of that warrant was brought to the location from home.

Waste of time for the wrong guy? Yup. But that's why you don't mishandle the stop in the first place.

that's standard protocol, in this area they'll have it ready when he gets to the police department
    that is just laziness on their part, see how it has bit them in the behind.

Kind of weird to see people say that the cops are legally entitled to pull nonviolent people off the street without IDing them or presenting a warrant. They teach you this shit in elementary school level civics.

But then there's no reasoning with an authority fetish.

At which point they ask for an ID. Arrest procedures don't change just because they think he's the guy. They still need to ID him and present a warrant. Rights don't go out the door just because some cop thinks you're the guy.
    Actually its a nullified profile until Patrick is eliminated from suspision.

Police neither assume he is Michael or he is not.

He wasnt treated as being Michael.

He was correctly identified as a suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    he was not legally required to. and because the police failed to follow proper procedure it is likely that anything they could bring against him will be thrown out in court.
    actually he is, he's on probation/parole which means you have to identify yourself whenever asked by a cop, the charges were dropped, most likely because it wasn't worth persuing rather than any wrong doing by the cops

Kind of weird to see people say that the cops are legally entitled to pull nonviolent people off the street without IDing them or presenting a warrant. They teach you this shit in elementary school level civics.

But then there's no reasoning with an authority fetish.
    He wasnt pulled off the streets.

He was directly placed at the arrest scene.

You've lost this debate on an epic scale.

Actually its a nullified profile until Patrick is eliminated from suspision.

Police neither assume he is Michael or he is not.

He wasnt treated as being Michael.

He was correctly identified as a suspect.
    They attempted to serve the warrant for Michael on him. As evidenced by them repeatedly shouting "You have a warrant!"

- - - Updated - - -

You've lost this debate on an epic scale.
    Who's hiding behind this burner?