Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

So, has the word 'Legion' lost it's meaning to you yet?

So as the pre-patch date was confirmed it struck me, hearing 'the Burning Legion' in quest lines, cinematics or movies had always struck me as the huge threat that it is.

Hearing 'Legion' now is always in the concept of the expansion and not of a huge army of powerful enemies, sometimes it's been used of normal military but rarely, almost always about the Burning Legion.

It doesn't seem to have that niche of slight terror that always hit the slight roleplayer in me upon hearing or reading it, does it feel like this to anyone else?

In hindsight, this far into the hype express I wish it would've been called something else than just 'Legion'

Just like "Burning Crusade"?

WoD hat a similar effect for me. All the great Orc legends now feel like normal orcs to me. The Iron Horde feels like tons of stupid and weak orcs. The game needs some guys that are untouchable like Sargeras.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not the name itself but The Burning Legion surely has now that they've been essentially turned in to Saturday morning villains that would make even the Lich King blush with envy.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sargeras's Legion?

After experiencing everything that I have in Beta: Nope, still has it's meaning.

There was some really good art that @Golden Yak made a few months ago. There was a picture of Sargeras hovering over stormwind and all you saw was basically a silhouette of this giant figure hovering over the world in general. It was extremely awesome, and if it were in game would definitely be pretty scary to run into. It was similar to the Deathwing thing where he would fly over Azeroth and kill people occasionally, except the picture of Sargeras looked a bit more threatening.

I wouldnt say its lost meaning, but WoW could definitely use some untouchable villains like Sargeras.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taeldorian View Post
    There was some really good art that @Golden Yak made a few months ago. There was a picture of Sargeras hovering over stormwind and all you saw was basically a silhouette of this giant figure hovering over the world in general.
    Not me, you must be thinking of this person's thread. That was a cool idea though.

OT - Actually, the closer we get the more ominous it feels. Everything about Legion looks streets ahead of WoD and it makes the Burning Legion seem vaster and more terrible than they've ever been depicted. Just the stark and spine-tingling 'Legion' is a pretty potent label.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Not me, you must be thinking of this person's thread. That was a cool idea though.

OT - Actually, the closer we get the more ominous it feels. Everything about Legion looks streets ahead of WoD and it makes the Burning Legion seem vaster and more terrible than they've ever been depicted. Just the stark and spine-tingling 'Legion' is a pretty potent label.
    Oh that was it. I always see your art around so I got confused, my bad. That picture is great though, love it.

To reiterate on my previous post- Either way, Sargeras being the leader of the Burning Legion and his status as an untouchable god basically makes the Legion meaningful imo, and a pretty big threat at that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfheart9 View Post
    After experiencing everything that I have in Beta: Nope, still has it's meaning.
    Yeah, if anything it reinforces the idea, this expansion gives me the feeling of menace that the others lacked.

10+ Year Old Account
    When you play Legion, you'll no longer feel that way, the Legion is many.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    Just like "Burning Crusade"?

WoD hat a similar effect for me. All the great Orc legends now feel like normal orcs to me. The Iron Horde feels like tons of stupid and weak orcs. The game needs some guys that are untouchable like Sargeras.
    It has Sargeras?
    I'm not sure what you mean with this sentence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

Quote Originally Posted by Deztru View Post
    So as the pre-patch date was confirmed it struck me, hearing 'the Burning Legion' in quest lines, cinematics or movies had always struck me as the huge threat that it is.

Hearing 'Legion' now is always in the concept of the expansion and not of a huge army of powerful enemies, sometimes it's been used of normal military but rarely, almost always about the Burning Legion.

It doesn't seem to have that niche of slight terror that always hit the slight roleplayer in me upon hearing or reading it, does it feel like this to anyone else?

In hindsight, this far into the hype express I wish it would've been called something else than just 'Legion'
    "Legion" kind of did lose it's meaning for me.
    "BURNING Legion" didn't, though.

I feel like this expansion has actually made them feel threatening for once. "Scary" and "Powerful" is not how Id describe a faction whose had every plan foiled and has just been getting its asskicked for 12 years. Broken Shore is probably the first time they've actually won a major battle against us and killed some figures of significance.

Deleted
    I don't know, to me it kinda has.

Ever since they revealed the Void Lords as being the.. big big bad the Legion has become a joke.

Their entire appeal has always been being the ultimate evil, being in control and us being the sole world to resist. But now they're essentially someone else's bitches. They've been reduced to a 2nd class evil.

Kind of ruins the entire expansion for me, lol.

Doesn't help that we killed one of their top commanders (Archimonde) right before the expansion launched (haha ok more than a year before..) with minimal help. It took 4 dragon aspects and the dragon soul to take out Deathwing, but supposedly one of the strongest beings of the Legion was defeated by an army of mortals with shiny rings? Oookay.

If Blizzard weren't so incompetent, they would have had Archimonde and the Legion win on Draenor, causing the world to become 'destroyed' (think Vale of Eternal Blossoms) to actually SHOW us that they're something to be scared of. Oh well I guess like the rest of Warlords of Draenor you just have to call it what it is, a wasted opportunity.

So in short, yes yes it has. The lore I've always cared about is dead.
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2016-07-16 at 09:48 PM.

It's almost a bit reversed for me.

Warcraft III was originally treated as a pretty major blow to the Legion (at great cost to us). The fact that we were able to mostly ignore the Legion in order to harass Illidan in Burning Crusade really seemed to enforce that, especially when we went on to foil Kil'jaeden's plan by the end. Sargeras' fate has been "mostly dead until found otherwise" since Medivh's death, and the rest of the Legion leadership was dead or seemed afraid to attack us after the blows we had dealt them. I fully expected to fight Kil'jaeden again some day in a serious plot, but it always felt like that would be the Legion's last stand.

Even the fact that the end of Warlords of Draenor and Legion tried to retcon those things, just felt like desperation to me, though more in a meta sense this time. It's only being more exposed to Legion, and how committed Blizzard is to this all-out invasion idea, that I'm starting to be okay with it and seeing the Legion as intimidating for the first time since Warcraft III. Some of the retcons are actually pretty good too, like revealing that Burning Crusade was a ploy to trick the Alliance and Horde into taking out the greatest threat to the Legion for them, since that solves a good chunk of the problems with Burning Crusade's story and lore (it's the way I tried to justify it to myself more or less since then).

Plus, I think the single-word title (Cataclysm did it too, but the context is a bit different) and uniquely distinct logo help to make it feel like "things are different this time".
    Last edited by Jokubas; 2016-07-16 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2 View Post
    It has Sargeras?
    I'm not sure what you mean with this sentence.
    Only his avatar and even that one is too powerful for a direct fight. So he is untouchable. We can just annoy him and kill his servants.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

When they first announced it, I thought the legion theme was really cool. Other stuff in the expansion has made me less excited about the legion expansion.

Yup all "incoming doom" went out the window when a mortal army killed archimonde straight up. Even before that it was "oh this again" story.

Ideally the archimonde fight should went with us never seeing his HP and the fight ended with use retreating for Azeroth severing the portal link
    Last edited by Stormspellz; 2016-07-17 at 12:19 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    Yup all "incoming doom" went out the window when a mortal army killed archimonde straight up. Even before that it was "oh this again"
    A Mortal Army with the Prophet of the Naaru and the Guardian of Tirisfal (who is literally meant to be able to face off with Sargeras' Avatar power wise)