Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    So... those working on class design, also work with making models for races...? Because suddenly it seems like they're mutually exclusive to those wanting one over the other...

Bard, Warden (mail tank?), Tinkerer (they could work around Engineering, it's a watered down prof anyway) and there's room for plenty more. Question is, at what point is it enough?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Question is, at what point is it enough?
    When we have tinkerers, obviously!

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    When we have tinkerers, obviously!
    ... Good point, good point. I'll second that! ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Spellbreaker. Basically is to a mage what a paladin is to a priest. The same thing with armor. Spec for tanking (the obvious one,) spec for healing (time mage, rewinds wounds) and DPS spec, the battlemage everyone always wanted. But with shield. DPS with shield sounds awesome, spellbreakers would be the perfect fit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't matter as long as its a mail-wearing class

The answer is obvious....Tinker.

A large percentage of MMO-C thought Demon Hunters would never be a class.....but here they are, and what role will your Demon Hunters play next expansion if there are no demons involved??? My guess is that Blizzard will include demons in the next few expansions to justify them.......Demons will become the new Trolls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dahomieg View Post
    doesn't matter as long as its a mail-wearing class
    spellbreakers!

7+ Year Old Account
    you kidding?

jet packs; throwing grenades; entering spider tanks or other machines; machine guns; pistols; mechanical suits(think power armor from fallout ); shooting lasers; massive bombs; shredders; electrocuting enemies; they could be a class utilizing vehicles in combat (this was actually tried before, it was cut), something no other class has; building contraptions (doesn't have to be just turrets); etc

oh and btw, when their new class has an overlapping theme with another class, they can always just remove things from older classes (DH, Demo Lock) so they could just remove turrets from hunters
    Most of what you said would be, put lightly, OP.
    And that's putting it lightly, it can be made flashy sure, even starting at a higher lvl.
    But you obviously have no idea how class balancing works, demon hunters might look OP because of how flashy they look but in essence they're really just a class for solo players and their Spectral Sight ability is their only utility, thus its usefulness makes up for their lack of it. But they also have gliding to step up their mobility.

The Tinker is a utility class, clearly. But their utility consists of gnome tech and even that has its limits, grenades and power suits being 6 steps over that limit. If you were to make him as original as possible and balanced too, you'd have a rather lame hero whose abilities consists of AoE and CC abilities that makes your progress in PvE environment pathetic, with only a handfull of single target spells at most.

Be at least a little objective about class concepts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Spellbreaker. Basically is to a mage what a paladin is to a priest. The same thing with armor. Spec for tanking (the obvious one,) spec for healing (time mage, rewinds wounds) and DPS spec, the battlemage everyone always wanted. But with shield. DPS with shield sounds awesome, spellbreakers would be the perfect fit.
    I'm all for spellbreakers, as long as they're a proper DPS class and wear mail/plate.
    Worgen hard, or hardly worgen?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CasualWorgen View Post
    Most of what you said would be, put lightly, OP.
    And that's putting it lightly, it can be made flashy sure, even starting at a higher lvl.
    But you obviously have no idea how class balancing works, demon hunters might look OP because of how flashy they look but in essence they're really just a class for solo players and their Spectral Sight ability is their only utility, thus its usefulness makes up for their lack of it. But they also have gliding to step up their mobility.

The Tinker is a utility class, clearly. But their utility consists of gnome tech and even that has its limits, grenades and power suits being 6 steps over that limit. If you were to make him as original as possible and balanced too, you'd have a rather lame hero whose abilities consists of AoE and CC abilities that makes your progress in PvE environment pathetic, with only a handfull of single target spells at most.

Be at least a little objective about class concepts.
    why would that be op

if you enter a vehicle you can still get damaged/cc and that's it, it'd just be flavor, it'd be a glorified cooldown that looks cool and makes the class feel special

numbers can be tuned, so I don't see how lasers, bombs or machine guns would be op either lol

you said that tinkers are too much like already existing classes so everything I listed is just flavor, it's the class' fantasy, which in my opinion is quite distinct and I'm just one guy, imagine what Blizzard can do, we heard people talking about how Dh's are never going to happen because of Demo Locks and rogues and well here we are, Dhs will soon be playable
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2016-07-16 at 10:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Best I can think of is something new. Maybe something akin to the State Alchemists from Fullmetal Alchemist? Obviously with a name different to "Alchemist".
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

7+ Year Old Account
    why would that be op

if you enter a vehicle you can still get damaged/cc and that's it, it'd just be flavor

numbers can be tuned, so I don't see how lasers, bombs or machine guns would be op either lol

everything I listed is just flavor, it's the class' fantasy
    Lasers, bombs and machine guns are powerful in general so they'd have to be tuned so much the entire class would be underwhelming as fuck and most useful in roleplay situations. And a vehicle? Seriously? What do you think the mechanics behind it are going to be? A literal tank that can take out a whole PvP arena? WoW isn't a Moba game, you don't have any ulti abilites so even if your fantasy of a tank riding class were to become a reality, he would really only be parading around in a heap of mobile scrap.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 3DTyrant View Post
    Best I can think of is something new. Maybe something akin to the State Alchemists from Fullmetal Alchemist? Obviously with a name different to "Alchemist".
    Let's not forget that this is WoW we're talking about, not your manga collection.
    Worgen hard, or hardly worgen?

Deleted
    Lasers, bombs and machine guns are powerful in general so they'd have to be tuned so much the entire class would be underwhelming as fuck and most useful in roleplay situations. And a vehicle? Seriously? What do you think the mechanics behind it are going to be? A literal tank that can take out a whole PvP arena? WoW isn't a Moba game, you don't have any ulti abilites so even if your fantasy of a tank riding class were to become a reality, he would really only be parading around in a heap of mobile scrap.
    Yes they're powerful, so are Chaosbolts and Fireballs. Not any more powerful than a laserbeam or a bomb. I don't see how warlocks or mages are underwhelming because they have cool abilities.

The mechanics behind it would be simple: You press a button, and your character enters a vehicle, that behaves like a player character, fully attackable, ccable, it gives you new abilities and looks cool. It wouldn't be a big one like a demolisher, as that would create issues concerning visibility. It could be a shredder, or a spider tank that are only a little bigger than a Tauren (I'd limit Tinkerers to Goblins and Gnomes for lore reasons).
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2016-07-16 at 10:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Let's not forget that this is WoW we're talking about, not your manga collection.
    Yes, I do know, hence the "something akin to"
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

Considering it's a discussion on themes, there's nothing inherently OP or underpowered about using things like mech/shredder suits, turrets, lasers, etc. Numbers tuning can be done in a way to make them not OP, and not underwhelming.

That being said, they'll most probably never introduce Tinker, mainly because they feel it'd take too much away from engineering (despite there not really being anything TO take away from engineering, or other professions for that matter) by introducing a class around its themes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm all for spellbreakers, as long as they're a proper DPS class and wear mail/plate.
    Mail makes sense, like a nice middle ground between the standard mage cloth and warriors plate. And DPS would be fun as hell, at least visually. Imagine throwing around a magic enhanced shield at a close-medium range, bashing in faces and crushing throats with the edge, slamming it into the ground for AoE, jumping onto it and detonating the ground beneath it as a blink-like spell... Like prot paladin if it was DPS. Avenger's Shield EVERYTHING!

While I was relatively indifferent to the idea of a Tinker-style class to begin with I have really started to really grow fond of the idea. I haven't gone out and just read a lot of people's ideas or anything and I'm sure that people's designs vary quite a bit. I saw someone in this thread mention a whole mechanical suit idea and that doesn't quite fit for me as you would face the same problem that comes with the Druid forms in regards to your Weapons/Armor not being visible. Also with every new class that has been added to the game (DK, Monk, DH) being able to tank I'd rather not see a tank spec come to it. I would also hope that it would be a Mail-class to give us some balance on that front. I haven't quite fit how it would work out but an Alchemical style healing spec would bring us up to 6 tank classes, 6 healing classes for a nice balance. For a ranged spec it is pretty simple to incorporate a gun-based spec in to the theme. My favorite idea though would be a melee spec that uses fist weapons and is similar to Vi in League of Legends. As for the argument that Engineering and Alchemy are already professions I don't see that as a reason not to be able to do this. Sure an Engineer would be able to craft items for Tinkers but that doesn't make them one and the same. Blacksmiths aren't Warriors or Paladins.

Necromancer: I think it might be interesting to have a cloth class based on undead/unholy stuff, but that's already pretty well covered by deathknights. And there are also already 3 cloth-wearing caster classes. We don't need another. That niche is filled on both accounts, so I think it wouldn't work.

Tech-using class: I could see some potential here, although it doesn't REALLY fit the swords and sorcery theme of the other classes very well. And we already have engineering as a profession. Although to be fair, the usefulness of engineering has been VERY diminished for the past few years. Would be interesting to have a gnome/goblin/dwarf heavy class, though.

Spellbreaker: Now this is a class I could get behind. Primary weapon is a shield instead of a sword/axe/mace/whatever. Heavy emphasis on magic/anti-magic techniques, with a strong Blood-elf theme to it. The only problem is that we just got Demon Hunters as a elf-themed class. Otherwise I think this could work.

Warden: Come on, this one should be a no-brainer. Mail-wearing class that has very tanky overtones. Demon Hunters are going to be everywhere now, so we need someone to keep an eye on them. Legion Invasion will have all kinds of demons and god knows what else scattered across Azeroth. Seems like a good fit to me, although once again an elf-heavy theme.

Quote Originally Posted by DaHomieG View Post
    Doesn't matter as long as its a mail-wearing class
    Doesn't matter... as long as it's not another goddamned melee dps.

I would specifically like a ranged dps / tank combo as the druid is the ONLY class fulfilling this niche. Ranged / healer we have 3 classes, pure ranged we have 2 (until surv changes we had 3), ranged / melee we have 3 (after surv changes).

Tinker
    Shadow Hunter
    Witch Doctor
    Runemaster
    Necromancer
    Battle Mage
    Blood Mage
    Primal Warrior (someone who uses "Life" magic to fight in melee combat, kind of like an enhancement druid) (not sure if it's already in the lore, but nothing would have to change for it to be added)
    Shadow Paladin (warrior that uses Shadow to fight)
    Dragonsworn
    Warden
    Bard

So we can have regular Hunters, Demon Hunters and Shadow Hunters.
    Then we'll need Mage Hunters, Nature Hunters, Light Hunters and Death Hunters.

Alchemist ! Care for a cocktail ?!