Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pawstruck View Post
    Khadgar: "TODAY IS THE DAY... WE RECLAIM OUR WORLD!!!!!!"
    ...Ok, you overly-dramatic windbag, except the world hasn't been taken. It's the beginning of an invasion.
    This part is taken out of context and out of time.
    When this happens, the invasion has been going on for weeks already, and we've been fighting demons all over Azeroth and inside Dalaran. Its hard to really see this when you just join the beta and this is the first thing you do.

Its not like we go there and try to close the portal before anything comes through, like with WoD.
    We go to a full demon-infested island with a full-blown demon city on it, from which they spawned invasions of the entirety of Azeroth, so the line seems appropriate, if a little dramatic.

Edit: P.S.: Why the hell do the Legion have spaceships? The crashed Exodar is one thing, but the fantasy environment is really going out the window with the whole alien-invasion vibe.
    It doesn't. They travel the same way the Exodar does, which is also not a spaceship.

Also, Cataclysm had the worst voice acting in WoW to date in my opinion, and the plot definitely wasn't its saving grace.

After having played all the Metal Gear Solid games I'm completely desensitized to cheesy conversation, nothing else even comes close to MGS.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrif View Post
    No, I literally laughed the first time I heard it because I couldn't belive they'd write something that cringeworthy. If anything, the majority of the playerbase was way younger in 2008 and unable to discern between decent writing and laughable.

Seriously. Boo hoo cold logic, yay free will despite the only thing they did was to kill a guy who wanted to destroy the world. What splendid example of free will! Thank god we had that so we didn't decide to let the world get destroyed or something. What?
    I don't think you understand what they meant by free will. It's the emotion and desperation from flawed creatures that convinced Algalon to spare Azeroth from re-origination. Algalon, a perfect being, did not understand imperfection and saw it as an anomaly -- free will grants an advantage over order, because it's the chaotic polar opposite. Algalon is an embodiment of cold logic, he made a decision not based on emotions.
    Last edited by Polybius; 2016-07-16 at 09:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrif View Post
    No, I literally laughed the first time I heard it because I couldn't belive they'd write something that cringeworthy. If anything, the majority of the playerbase was way younger in 2008 and unable to discern between decent writing and laughable.

Seriously. Boo hoo cold logic, yay free will despite the only thing they did was to kill a guy who wanted to destroy the world. What splendid example of free will! Thank god we had that so we didn't decide to let the world get destroyed or something. What?
    Idk... I was in my early 20's and I got goosebumps. It was pretty powerful especially with the environment reaction and the hard fought battle Algalon really was. I guess it depends on one's values and morals maybe. Definitely appeals to me. I still get some feels when I hear Rhonin.

Since we're talking about voice acting, Wrath and Cata had some of the worst voice acting in WoW. Sure, a lot of it was good - but the more grating voice work is what sticks with you in the long run.

Anyway, spaceships. The Naaru have had dimensional ships since their inception. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to figure the Burning Legion would eventually adapt their technology; like they already have cannons and vehicles, so why not spaceships.

the fantasy environment is really going out the window with the whole alien-invasion vibe.
    Lest we forget, orcs are aliens.

I always thought of WoW's story like Star Trek: There were some pretty cheesy moments to make even the nerdiest audience cringe, but when it worked every third episode or so, it got pretty good.

The writing, the voice-acting, the plot in Legion is just, for me, an entirely new low. Every other line for me is like "...what the fuck?"

...Ok, you overly-dramatic windbag, except the world hasn't been taken. It's the beginning of an invasion.

I like WoW's story overall, but if you compare the feeling of this expansion with WotLK or even Cata (I <3 Deathwing) it just make me want to vomit. Everyone sounds like a cartoon character, most especially the Burning Legion.

It's painful.

Edit: P.S.: Why the hell do the Legion have spaceships? The crashed Exodar is one thing, but the fantasy environment is really going out the window with the whole alien-invasion vibe.
    answering bold points in order:

That's a really bad comparison, as star trek is based on exploring new worlds, space exploration. while WoW has always been the orcs vs humans, old gods, dragons, titans.

will admit that legion is because of WoD (yuck!), however! the story line is miles better than "we're going to another word and doing iron orcs vs humans" was very lack luster and the fact that that i'm not hearing 1 million+ different variations of orc voices in legion pleases me greatly.

Khadgar has a massive point.... vanilla you had threats and attacks from elemental lords, dragonflights, emerald nightmare (4 world dragon bosses) kazzak, old gods and naxx (who was indirectly made because of the burning legion), TBC you had the dark portal open thus the legion tried to attack and take over azeroth (and nearly suceeded at SWP), WOTLK: again lich king trying to take over azeroth indirectly caused by the burning legion (again) cata: deathwing wanting to cause two cataclysms (1 which was successful) MoP: because of the first cataclysm made by deathwing, we had the sha to worry about and that lead to Garrosh going mental and shit with the sha heart. WoD, because of Garrosh he wanted to make an iron horde by convincing his then alive dad through parallel universe to conquer azeroth and thus leads to Legion where the burning legion after their defeat at the sunwell is doing a make or break attempt on the broken isle.
    so yeah.... reclaiming their world is not being over the top.

I noticed that you didn't mention TBC, you do realize that Legion is essentially TBC only that it's an active invasion on Azeroth and as i said in the earlier point, they're going all out and ressing up and sending every minion and lord they have at their disposal (bar archimonde as apparantly he's dead dead.)

and what's so wrong about flying legion spaceships? if you had played TBC there are more "flying Exodars" in the form of Tempest keep.

I always thought of WoW's story like Star Trek: There were some pretty cheesy moments to make even the nerdiest audience cringe, but when it worked every third episode or so, it got pretty good.

The writing, the voice-acting, the plot in Legion is just, for me, an entirely new low. Every other line for me is like "...what the fuck?"

I like WoW's story overall, but if you compare the feeling of this expansion with WotLK or even Cata (I <3 Deathwing) it just make me want to vomit. Everyone sounds like a cartoon character, most especially the Burning Legion.

It's painful.

It has never been better. Discussion's over.

P.S, Exodar is/was hardly the only spaceship. Just because something isn't in the game doesn't mean it doesn't exist, something you should've known about since you seem interested in the lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    It's funny how everybody claims this same thing. He did all of that on purpose. -snip-
    That's not really what he was getting at. He's saying the Lich King's dialogue is something you'd hear from a cartoon villain.

Some of the writing/voice acting in Legion is good...

and some of it reads like really, really bad fanfic and sounds like some horrible LARPing.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    First of all, fuck off with the "we" when it's your opinion. There is no second of all.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    Also, Cataclysm had the worst voice acting in WoW to date in my opinion, and the plot definitely wasn't its saving grace.
    Gotta agree with this. That awful questline where you follow Thrall and Aggra around -- "Elemental Bonds" I think it was called? And Deathwing in Dragon Soul, before and after Ultraxion trash. Ugh.

Oh, and in Wrath, the Prophet Tharon'ja. Maybe the worst ever, IMO.

I am not in beta so I don't have an opinion on the voice acting in Legion, but it can't be worse than anything that has come before.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Enthralled View Post
    Gotta agree with this. That awful questline where you follow Thrall and Aggra around -- "Elemental Bonds" I think it was called? And Deathwing in Dragon Soul, before and after Ultraxion trash. Ugh.

Oh, and in Wrath, the Prophet Tharon'ja. Maybe the worst ever, IMO.

I am not in beta so I don't have an opinion on the voice acting in Legion, but it can't be worse than anything that has come before.
    Never forget the ultimate Captain Planet shitfest that was the dragon aspects empowering the dragon soul in the final raid. Hands down the most cheesy moment I've ever witnessed in any form of entertainment.
    Last edited by thilicen; 2016-07-17 at 12:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jahaga View Post
    I don't know who Blizzard picks up for voice acting these days, but they are awful.

The ONLY good voice acting I've seen in newer Blizzard games was Covetous Shen from Diablo III. But holy hell the rest of that game was the worst I've ever heard. And since Diablo III/StarCraft II, the voice acting and dialogue has been utter garbage. For WarCraft, I feel like it's always been that way. Although I do feel like it's getting much much worse now.
    Because Covetous Shen is a world renowned actor. James Hong, known for several movies both in voice and actual acting.
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmall001 View Post
    Mists taught us that it doesn't matter how phenomenally written your content is and no matter how well executed it is in-game; unless it is dramatic, edgy and grim-dark the majority of people on MMO-C won't like it. Mists was excellent. Great character development. Great story lines. Great VO. Great attention to detail. Great immersion.

But in the end "lolpandas this xpac was a waste, I didn't even bother playing.
    Agree 100%. MoP is criminally underrated - both in story and gameplay.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sills View Post
    Grommash randomly cheering among the Draenei and Azeroth troops?! LOL WHAT!?! What the hell are you cheering about!? Yrel, arrest or murder his conquering ***!!
    Yeah man, that was the lamest thing out of Lameland WoD was.

Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    Because Covetous Shen is a world renowned actor. James Hong, known for several movies both in voice and actual acting.
    Yes I know. You'd think the other voice actors would watch and listen and learn something, but the rest of the damn game sounds like a childs cartoon.

The dialogue/voice acting that made me cringe the most was when Tyrael regains his memory and reveals that's he is Tyrael. "I am.......... TYRAEL!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Just remember boys and girls:

"Your pathetic magic BETRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYSSSS you!!"

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adoxe View Post
    It has never been better. Discussion's over.

P.S, Exodar is/was hardly the only spaceship. Just because something isn't in the game doesn't mean it doesn't exist, something you should've known about since you seem interested in the lore.
    I didn't realize your opinion was law. Better alert the press! This thread is over guys.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Polybius View Post
    I don't think you understand what they meant by free will. It's the emotion and desperation from flawed creatures that convinced Algalon to spare Azeroth from re-origination. Algalon, a perfect being, did not understand imperfection and saw it as an anomaly -- free will grants an advantage over order, because it's the chaotic polar opposite. Algalon is an embodiment of cold logic, he made a decision not based on emotions.
    Yeah no, emotions and free will are about as different as concepts gets. Defending something precious to you, much less the entire world, is such an extremely basic instinct that even beings with questionable capacity for emotions do it, such as ants or bees. No matter what definition of it you use and how much you twist and bend it, free will has less than nothing to do with defending something that is threatened.

In fact, defending something that is threatened is ironically enough exactly what he does himself when he's going to re-originate the planet. So him doing that is perfect and cold logic and whatnot, but us doing the literally exact same thing is somehow magical and beautiful and reason to allow a contamination threat of universal proportions to continue? Yeah right.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizendragon View Post
    Idk... I was in my early 20's and I got goosebumps. It was pretty powerful especially with the environment reaction and the hard fought battle Algalon really was. I guess it depends on one's values and morals maybe. Definitely appeals to me. I still get some feels when I hear Rhonin.
    No, it just depends on your capacity to detect horrible writing. Although granted, that capacity can be distorted if you're emotional or biased when being subjected to it. I've had lackluster and incoherent writing appeal to me in situations as well, and had oversight with objectively bad writing because I subjectively desired to.