Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Affl feels dated and low damage

I tried ptr and was excited to try out my lock who I have had as my main for many years. The affl lock animations are non existant, damage I'm not super worried about because it can be adjusted but felt low, talents kind of feel lack luster.

How have they been diong in beta in mythics/dungeon enviroment?

Deleted
    I like the gameplay, but the animations really are an insult.

Every melee has new animations and several caster classes too and we still have the 2004 dots that you barely see. And the one cool animation (Soulburn:Haunt) that we had in WoD got removed.

Quote Originally Posted by rebate View Post
    I tried ptr and was excited to try out my lock who I have had as my main for many years. The affl lock animations are non existant, damage I'm not super worried about because it can be adjusted but felt low, talents kind of feel lack luster.

How have they been diong in beta in mythics/dungeon enviroment?
    Every warlock spec is basically not viable in mythics/dungeons. No mobility, low damage, long cast times. Even Destro feels bad in dungeons.

Personal anecdote doing mythics but I was getting to trash packs a solid 5 seconds after my party because they all had some way to move faster, and I couldn't really take the survivability hit to take Burning Rush.

I was hoping to get the Demonic Gateway instant-cast/2 use legendary first so I can have decent mobility, as ridiculous as that sounds now that I'm typing it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Brusalk View Post
    Every warlock spec is basically not viable in mythics/dungeons. No mobility, low damage, long cast times. Even Destro feels bad in dungeons.
    Which is awful because Destro is supposedly our Dungeon spec :/

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    I love the current affliction. I was top DPS by a huge margin during the broken shore scenario.

10+ Year Old Account
    Destruction does just fine in dungeons, the only issue is mass AoE which requires some luck and adds not moving all over the place. Everything else is OK, special props to survivability - literally indestructible in Dungeons.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    I like the gameplay, but the animations really are an insult.

Every melee has new animations and several caster classes too and we still have the 2004 dots that you barely see. And the one cool animation (Soulburn:Haunt) that we had in WoD got removed.
    dont forget that the only ability affliction and demo have now that are affected by the green fire is burning rush, and the 2 mounts, meanwhile destro only has incinerate, and cataclysm, as demonfire is green default, aswell as chaos bolt

so yeah green fire does 0 spells for aff/demo, and only 1 for destro (baseline)
    1 aff/demo, 3 destro talent wise
    and 2 mounts... super sad about it...
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by Blandalf View Post
    I love the current affliction. I was top DPS by a huge margin during the broken shore scenario.
    Come on buddy, you shouldn't relate fun with dps in the broken shore scenario , it's embarrassing.

You're wearing like above 720ilvl gear joining with people in lower than 700 ilvl who have no idea what's going on or are semi-afk chasing after the NPCs, and you happened to do more dps in the weakest stages of the expansion , good for you man , I don't know how that equates to fun in your eyes

Deleted
    Every warlock spec is basically not viable in mythics/dungeons. No mobility, low damage, long cast times. Even Destro feels bad in
    I've been trying to brush most of the criticism off as doomsaying, but you saying it has an unpleasant amount of weight.

I'd been looking forward to grinding mythic dungeons now that they look rewarding, but that doesn't sound promising, especially considering one of the other players I imagine will be up for doing that come Legion is a warlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Blandalf View Post
    And I'm sure affliction can top the meters in a lot of BG's for similar reasons.
    Whether that's actually doing anything useful and / or most peoples idea of fun is another thing.
    Last edited by mmoc1571eb5575; 2016-07-16 at 02:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    TLDR play a melee spec right now

Personal anecdote doing mythics but I was getting to trash packs a solid 5 seconds after my party because they all had some way to move faster, and I couldn't really take the survivability hit to take Burning Rush.

I was hoping to get the Demonic Gateway instant-cast/2 use legendary first so I can have decent mobility, as ridiculous as that sounds now that I'm typing it out.
    I've ran a heroic dungeon with three DHs and a monk heals. Definitely not fun being the slowest guy in the party.

Deleted
    Can we like spam someone on twitter asking where the f our new animations are?

I mean, are we just okay with being forgotten? Guuuys?

It's not just Affliction either, Demonbolt still has orange fire in it, despite having green fire active..

1.5 months to go until release, at least we can expect a simple recolor ri-right?

10+ Year Old Account

I mean, are we just okay with being forgotten? Guuuys?

It's not just Affliction either, Demonbolt still has orange fire in it, despite having green fire active..

1.5 months to go until release, at least we can expect a simple recolor ri-right?
    Honestly this would be the bottom of my priority list if I were a developer right now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FurtyIRL View Post
    Honestly this would be the bottom of my priority list if I were a developer right now.
    I look at how cool shadowpriests look, then I look at my aff lock and I despair.

It's a world of a difference.

But if no one cares about it, well time to suck it up I guess.

Sometimes I wish WoW were more like a Besthesda game, in that you can mod a shit ton of stuff. I'd mod the living hell out of our spell animations, that's for sure.
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2016-07-16 at 11:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Animations are indeed pathetic compared to all the new ones in other classes. Can't speak for PvE, but I'm finding aff pvp on the ptr very enjoyable. Damage isn't immense, but it's good enough and it's nearly impossible to lose a 1v1 due to all of the new healing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I look at how cool shadowpriests look, then I look at my aff lock and I despair.

No, I agree with you to a certain extent. Logging into my Warrior on Beta, for example, I'm pretty enthralled just with the new animations alone. That said, I feel like there are some crippling gameplay flaws present in some of the caster specializations and some really clunky interactions with internal mechanics. I think it is in everyone's best interests if the fun factor is addressed first (and the atrocious class balance on Beta) before focusing on "trimmings". But I'm with you, some flashy new spells would be icing on the cake.

For the Nth time. The Devs have already said they're working on a broad upgrade of spell animations for all caster classes, like melee got for Legion launch. It's just animations are probably the single most time consuming game element to create, so they won't be ready for a while longer yet. Spamming the Devs on any platform won't help the graphic artists do their job faster. It'll just annoy them use useless spam and make them more likely to ignore us when we have genuinely useful input for them.

Have patience. Give them time to do their job properly, and instead of a few minor tweaks in colors and particle effects we might get some cool new stuff. There's a few artifact spells that include the weapon in the casting animation. I'd give you excellent odds that those are trial runs for their long term plans. Since artifact weapons narrow the range of potential weapon types a caster spec can use to one, we might actually get a revision where all our spells involve weapon casting animations. Wouldn't that be worth a little patience?

Deleted

Sometimes I wish WoW were more like a Besthesda game, in that you can mod a shit ton of stuff. I'd mod the living hell out of our spell animations, that's for sure.
    Far more concerned about mechanical stuff than aesthetics, especially for affliction.

I kinda miss shadowbolts flying out, but when we're going to be using mostly dots and channeled filler I'm not too fussed about the animations. Channeled filler being too flashy would just be annoying to me with it's uptime on screen.
    Destruction and demonology should put up a show though.

I wouldn't be surprised if casters were left hanging a while though, in general we've had flashier animations over the years. Melee have finally been not just caught up but pushed to new levels. It'll be like the character model re-works. Blood elves will get their turn eventually, but the ones suffering the most get priority.

We have dishwasher game-play, piss-poor ramp up times and virtually no visual identity left... if you're not upset at this point then I don't know what to say to you. I still have some hope for the future but the current results and lack of feedback leaves me rather gloomy.

Every warlock spec is basically not viable in mythics/dungeons. No mobility, low damage, long cast times. Even Destro feels bad in dungeons
    1. No ranged have awesome mobility except for BM hunter, which Blizz doesn't count as ranged.
    2. Our damage is fine. It's definitely not top of the heap, but quite a few specs will be nerfed before legion, and it definitely isn't the case that "not top" = not viable. I think that's an exaggeration. For a truly not viable spec, look at spriests.
    3. Yeah cast times suck when affixes get involved, but there's also some shit you can just stand in because you're a warlock . Unless groups are just going to run all melee, destro isn't much worse off than any other ranged.