Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    Assault rifle is a term used in the industry, it's usually used when referring to select fire models to distinguish them from only full-auto machine guns. Select fire models are still technically machine guns.

Assault weapon is a legal term that refers to an incredibly broad selection of weapons that look vaguely like semi-auto variants of military weapons. The media often refers to assault weapons that are also rifles as assault rifles in short hand (I used to make this mistake too, until I was told about the manufacturing term.) This usually makes people think of full-auto weapons, upping the fear factor.
    I hold two Class 4 Assault hands.

Be afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    Machine guns have never had selective fire the standard AK is an Assault rifle because it has semiauto AND full auto. Saying an AK is a machine gun because it has full auto is like saying its a rifle because it has single fire.
    It doesn't stop being a rifle just because it's an assault rifle. It can be referred to accurately as either designation. Machine gun and rifle are both general designations, assault rifle is more specific.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    It comes up a surprising amount in my life, but I often have to correct people who call any fully-automatic rifle a machine gun. But the trouble I have is that...I don't really know what the difference is. I just know there IS one. So can someone tell me what the difference is, to prevent further embarrassment on my part?
    In the US, the ATF defines anything that fires more than one bullet per trigger pull as a machine gun (yes, even pistols like the G18 and Beretta 93R), as such "machine gun" is a broad term which does in fact cover every fully automatic (or burst fire) rifle... Their definition is in fact the law, and as such I consider it accurate.

An Assault Rifle is a rifle that fires an intermediate rifle cartridge, and is select fire capable (semi-auto paired with either burst or full auto, or both).

Machine gun is a broad term, Assault Rifle is a sub-category of Machine gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempguy View Post
    "Assault Rifle" is a made up term. Like "Man-splaining".

Assault Rifle is just a Rifle with a pistol grip. You pull the trigger once, one bullet fires. You keep holding it, nothing happens. You let it go and pull again, one more bullet fires.
    I am surprised that you, a Veteran, would confuse the definition of Assault Rifle and Assault Weapon... What you just listed as the definition for Assault Rifle is the definition for Assault Weapon... Assault Weeapon is the made up term, not Assault Rifle...

Assault Rifle is a very real term, which I have already listed the definition for above.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2016-07-17 at 01:56 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Assault rifle is a term used in the industry, it's usually used when referring to select fire models to distinguish them from only full-auto machine guns. Select fire models are still technically machine guns.

Hitler coined the term Assault rifle for the MP43/MP44 "Sturmgewehr" which translates into Assault rifle. Its not an industry term. When the Nazi's first perfected it they used it heavily in propaganda and for good reason it was the best infantry weapon of the war and was feared by the Allies.

For a weapon to be an assault rifle:
    It must be an individual weapon
    It must be capable of selective fire
    It must have an intermediate-power cartridge: more power than a pistol but less than a standard rifle or battle rifle
    Its ammunition must be supplied from a detachable box magazine
    And it should have an effective range of at least 300 metres (330 yards)
    Last edited by Nathreim; 2016-07-17 at 01:48 AM.

Hitler coined the term Assault rifle for the MP43/MP44 "Sturmgewehr" which translates into Assault rifle. Its not an industry term. When the Nazi's first perfected it they used it heavily in propaganda and for good reason it was the best infantry weapon of the war and was feared by the Allies.
    The industry has fully adopted the term. It's used in all their literature on select fire rifles of sufficient power.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post

I am surprised that you, a Veteran, would confuse the definition of Assault Rifle and Assault Weapon... What you just listed as the definition for Assault Rifle is the definition for Assault Weapon... Assault Weeapon is the made up term, not Assault Rifle...

Assault Rifle is a very real term, which I have already listed the definition for above.
    In the military, we call them rifles. Just rifles.

All weapons are made to assault. Either a target, person or animal. There is literally not one firearm in existence designed not to assault. if it shoots bullets, it assaults.

BEFORE I joined I thought the "AR" in AR -15 stood for assault. It doesn't. I was educated by my superiors that it is just a rifle.

"Assault Rifle" is a made up term. Like "Man-splaining".

Machine gun is fully auto. You pull the trigger once, hold, and it keeps shooting until the magazine is empty.

Assault Rifle is just a Rifle with a pistol grip. You pull the trigger once, one bullet fires. You keep holding it, nothing happens. You let it go and pull again, one more bullet fires.

The issue is that many people think the movies are real and guns that look like M-16's will go full auto and mow people down.

I can provide examples if you want. I am a veteran and have used both rifles and actual machine guns.

M249 SAW = Machine gun.
    M-4 A4/ M-16 A4 = Rifle
    As a veteran you should know that having a pistol grip doesn't make it an assault rifle. Having select fire capabilities, single fire or three round burst, are what makes a rifle an assault rifle. Must be an admin POG.

Quote Originally Posted by Skilrathos View Post
    As a veteran you should know that having a pistol grip doesn't make it an assault rifle. Having select fire capabilities, single fire or three round burst, are what makes a rifle an assault rifle. Must be an admin POG.
    2 BCT 101st Airborne. 502nd INFANTRY Regiment. 11-C

Let me clarify. Assault rifle is a rifle with a pistol grip = That is what any liberal considers an assault rifle. I already just responded to the fact that I don't even believe the term is accurate.

And my Barracks was bldg 4039 on tennessee ave. Zip 42223.

Google maps that shit. Right by the air field.

As an infantry guy, that shit hurts bro. i rather be called a racial slur than a POG
    Last edited by Tempguy; 2016-07-17 at 01:57 AM.

In the military, we call them rifles. Just rifles.

All weapons are made to assault. Either a target, person or animal. There is literally not one firearm in existence designed not to assault. if it shoots bullets, it assaults.

BEFORE I joined I thought the "AR" in AR -15 stood for assault. It doesn't. I was educated by my superiors that it is just a rifle.
    The AR-15 isn't an assault rifle any way. It has no select fire capabilities, so yes, it's just a rifle. I'm also curious why you'd be learning about the AR-15 in boot camp, considering you wouldn't be using one. You'd be using the M-16 or M-4.

No machine guns are ONLY full auto having selective fire disqualifies the AK.
    Wrong! The M2HB has select fire and it is a .50 cal machine gun.

The AR-15 isn't an assault rifle any way. It has no select fire capabilities, so yes, it's just a rifle. I'm also curious why you'd be learning about the AR-15 in boot camp, considering you wouldn't be using one. You'd be using the M-16 or M-4.
    We used the M16-A4 in Basic and AIT. I told you that BEFORE I joined I thought that is what the AR meant.

After I went to my unit, we were lucky enough to use M4-A4 (the ones with the rail system). And yes, if you say something inaccurate, Your NCO most likely will correct you. Even if it doesn't even have much to do with the Army.

I am not trained on Blackhawks beyond Air Assault school and they still corrected me when I compare them to a civilian variant.

We also learned a bit about AK's and other military's weapons. They frown on using enemy weapons, but shit tends to go awry and you need to know how to use it.

2 BCT 101st Airborne. 502nd INFANTRY Regiment. 11-C

Let me clarify. Assault rifle is a rifle with a pistol grip = That is what any liberal considers an assault rifle. I already just responded to the fact that I don't even believe the term is accurate.

And my Barracks was bldg 4039 on tennessee ave. Zip 42223.

Google maps that shit. Right by the air field.

As an infantry guy, that shit hurts bro.
    I'll accept that. Especially with the liberal disclaimer.

Hope this can clear up some:

"Assault Weapon" is the made-up term by politicos [Could be anything from a center-fire .22 with some plastic on it to a M1A (M14 clone). Literally anything that fires a bullet can be called this]

"Assault Rifle" is a platform that has the ability to fire in full-auto, as well as usually a select fire switch (a little dubious of a definition between this and..) [M16, M4, AK-47, AK74, StG 44 (variants with select-fire only, not "civilian" firearms)]

"Machine Gun" usually use to refer to a class of firearm that fires in full-auto, could be a single manned armament or a crew served device. [M60, M249, MG42]

"Machine pistol" is a pistol platform that has the ability to fire in full-auto, as well as other fire selection options. [M93r, MAC-10, MAC-11]

Thanks to Rivellana for an awesome signature

We used the M16-A4 in Basic and AIT. I told you that BEFORE I joined I thought that is what the AR meant.

After I went to my unit, we were lucky enough to use M4-A4 (the ones with the rail system). And yes, if you say something inaccurate, Your NCO most likely will correct you. Even if it doesn't even have much to do with the Army.

I am not trained on Blackhawks beyond Air Assault school and they still corrected me when I compare them to a civilian variant.

We also learned a bit about AK's and other military's weapons. They frown on using enemy weapons, but shit tends to go awry and you need to know how to use it.
    Learning about the AK makes sense, you'll see it on the field. Knowing its limitations and capabilities helps you directly. Learning about the AR-15 doesn't help you at all.

Assault rifle is an actual designation. It is used both by militaries and the industry world wide.

Assault weapon is a term in the American political discourse that is so broad as to be useless.

In the Corps we learned to operate weapons used by the enemy just in case shit went sideways as well. Nothing wrong with that at all I say.

10+ Year Old Account
    Assault rifle: rifle/carbine equipped with detachable magazine firing an intermediate round with select fire capability.
    Machine gun: Grossly any firearm capable of firing more than one round from one barrel with one pull of the trigger. More commonly: A long barreled gun intended to provide sustained automatic fire.

Learning about the AK makes sense, you'll see it on the field. Knowing its limitations and capabilities helps you directly. Learning about the AR-15 doesn't help you at all.

Assault rifle is an actual designation. It is used both by militaries and the industry world wide.

Assault weapon is a term in the American political discourse that is so broad as to be useless.
    Dude, We are humans. We talk. So is it so insane to believe that a squad leader will hear you say some shit and educate you on the matter? really?
    Quote Originally Posted by Skilrathos View Post
    In the Corps we learned to operate weapons used by the enemy just in case shit went sideways as well. Nothing wrong with that at all I say.
    What boggles my mind is how people forget we are humans. Like we never discuss anything unless it is 100% for training for a mission. People have no idea that NCO's are more than just a supervisor. It's telling IMO.

I bet they would flip if they realized they also advice us on car deals and try to keep us from getting scammed.

Dude, We are humans. We talk. So is it so insane to beleive that a squad leader will hear you say some shit and educate you on the matter? really?
    I just don't see how he'd correct you about the AR not standing for assault rifle and then tell you that "assault rifle" is not a real term. It absolutely is. It's exactly how every manufacturer of the M-4 and M-16 refer to their platforms. They're less powerful and easier to control than a battle rifle, capable of select rifle unlike a machine gun, and configured for ease of use so you don't have to stand around like a jackass while reloading.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just don't see how he'd correct you about the AR not standing for assault rifle and then tell you that "assault rifle" is not a real term. It absolutely is. It's exactly how every manufacturer of the M-4 and M-16 refer to their platforms. They're less powerful and easier to control than a battle rifle, capable of select rifle unlike a machine gun, and configured for ease of use so you don't have to stand around like a jackass while reloading.
    A machine gun can be select fire, just no reason to.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    A machine gun can be select fire, just no reason to.
    Machine gun is a broad term, it's not usually used to refer to select fire weapons. Select fire weapons are technically machine guns, but they aren't what is colloquially referred to when someone uses the term machine gun.