Thread: No Man's Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    That's like saying that the real planets in our real Universe don't exist because we can never visit them.

Also, you are aware that most games only load specific parts of the game world, and only when they're needed, and then unload those parts and put them back to "sleep"? Worlds in games aren't constantly active unless there's someone in that part of the world, needing it to be loaded.

How then is it different from all those planets being ready to be loaded, but inactive until someone finds them?
    There is a difference between saying "x planets generated and are witing to be discovered" and "x unique planets can be generated by this mathematical function (actual truth)". Huge difference. 1st sentece = stuff is in database, the game only loads assets. 2nd sentecte - the planet can be generated and the database/local file will increase in size, then assets are loaded.
    Last edited by Slaughty8; 2016-07-17 at 04:36 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaughty8 View Post
    There is a difference between saying "x planets generated and are witing to be discovered" and "x unique planets can be generated by this mathematical function (actual truth)". Huge difference. 1st sentece = stuff is in database, the game only loads assets. 2nd sentecte - the planet can be generated and the database/local file will increase in size, then assets are loaded.
    Yeah this is complete nonsense.

No.

To say it your way it would go something like this - Planet will be generated and will be visible while you are somewhere you can see it (the closer you are the more details will be generated) and once you leave the planet it will disapear. It can be generated again if you (or anone) return to it. Significant changes are only things what will be stored.

It is more detailed than that. It doesn't need to be stored anywhere. All information regarding stars, planets and moons that orbit planets is in the generation function. Only the function needs to be stored. It will always generate everything the same way so no need to save anything (except significant changes such as if you choose to destroy a space station around a planet or something).
    Last edited by Morae; 2016-07-17 at 05:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    No.

To say it your way it would go something like this - Planet will be generated and will be visible while you are somewhere you can see it (the closer you are the more details will be generated) and once you leave the planet it will disapear. It can be generated again if you (or anone) return to it. Significant changes are only things what will be stored.

It is more detailed than that. It doesn't need to be stored anywhere. All information regarding stars, planets and moons that orbit planets is in the generation function. Only the function needs to be stored. It will always generate everything the same way so no need to save anything (except significant changes such as if you choose to destroy a space station around a planet or something).
    Actually, I am a programmer and You don't have to explain it to me. Still, it generates instead of loads. The difference lays there. It's not hard to understand. But nvm. We, people in Europe, think and see diffrently. Generated planets take place, physical place, because data must be stored in cloud/on harddrives and those are physical.
    To make my point simpler to understand:
    - this blacksmith can make 10000 different swords, pick one, it will be made, he is the function that generates
    - this blacksmith made 10000 different swords and these are waiting for customers, he generated, he just loads you the sword you want
    Last edited by Slaughty8; 2016-07-17 at 05:24 AM.

Deleted
    Actually, I am a programmer and You don't have to explain it to me. Still, it generates instead of loads. The difference lays there. It's not hard to understand. But nvm. We, people in Europe, think and see diffrently. Generated planets take place, physical place, because data must be stored in cloud/on harddrives and those are physical.
    To make my point simpler to understand:
    - this blacksmith can make 10000 different swords, pick one, it will be made, he is the function that generates
    - this blacksmith made 10000 different swords and these are waiting for customers, he generated, he just loads you the sword you want
    Again, games only load resources that are needed. No Man's Sky only loads resources that are needed. Find 18 quintillion people to activate those 18 quintillion planets, and that's what will happen.

What's the point you're trying to make here? That the game should load unnecessary resources for it to be what, a "better game"?

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Again, games only load resources that are needed. No Man's Sky only loads resources that are needed. Find 18 quintillion people to activate those 18 quintillion planets, and that's what will happen.

What's the point you're trying to make here? That the game should load unnecessary resources for it to be what, a "better game"?
    I just want to make a point that using "18 quintillion planets" as a hype and promo word is misleading and shouldn't be considered by players as the selling point. It's like EVE should spam "7930 solar systems to explore!". But nvm. Don't mind me, just ignore me :P This is my last post about No Man's Sky :P

I get your point, but it makes very little sense to me.

So yeah...I don't know how many planets EVE has. If that 7930 solar systems is the number then they can say that.

Why is it any different that X number of solar systems are stored as information inside a function? It is possible to visit any of the 18 quintillion solar systems. It makes no difference in what form the information about them is stored.

If you have game that has 1000 worlds and are saved on harddrive. You have 1000 worlds you can go to.
    If you have game that has 1000 worlds that are procedurally generated like in NMS. You have 1000 worlds you can go to.

End result is the same. There are 1000 worlds that you can go to.

Good thing you decided to stop talking about it because otherwise I would have considered you a troll. Your point is nitpicking.

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    I get your point, but it makes very little sense to me.

So yeah...I don't know how many planets EVE has. If that 7930 solar systems is the number then they can say that.

Why is it any different that X number of solar systems are stored as information inside a function? It is possible to visit any of the 18 quintillion solar systems. It makes no difference in what form the information about them is stored.

If you have game that has 1000 worlds and are saved on harddrive. You have 1000 worlds you can go to.
    If you have game that has 1000 worlds that are procedurally generated like in NMS. You have 1000 worlds you can go to.

End result is the same. There are 1000 worlds that you can go to.

Good thing you decided to stop talking about it because otherwise I would have considered you a troll. Your point is nitpicking.
    Alright. Another point is: are they 100% sure their function can really generate 18 quadrilion unique planets? Such a big number can't be tested by humans during a few years, we can be certain that some planets will have very simillar species and differences will be like "2 tails vs 1 tail + size differnce", in some way it's still unique, but repetetive. I even wonder, considering the luck of some popular streamers, that at least one of them will say "well, lets see this 23th planet...omg it has almost the same monsters wtf is with this game, soo much for uniqueness and super duper numbers". I can almost imagine CohhCarnage yelling such sentence at some point.

Well, time will tell We just perceive the stuff in a different way. At least I am glad that somebody on this forum got my point.
    Last edited by Slaughty8; 2016-07-17 at 09:38 AM.

I recall there being the exact number of stars somewhere. It is likely they know exactly how many stars their function generates or at least pretty close estimate. With the number of stars they can give pretty good estimate on how many planets and moons there are in the game too. Another nitpicking comment. Whether it is exact or estimate the number will be large enough that it won't matter.

How many worlds do you think a player will visit during the time they go from start to end? They said their estimated playtime if you start directly moving towards the center where the "goal" is, would be about 20hours (if I remember correctly). Most people will most likely spend time exploring. I'm sure the amount of variation of interesting/different textures, models, ect. is exhausted pretty quickly and most certainly can't produce intersting variations for each planet. Yet, I expect the "boring" point isn't reached for most players during the playtime.
    Last edited by Morae; 2016-07-17 at 10:22 AM.

I agree with you on this. Basically, repetitiveness will mostly be meet by people who highly exceed the average playtime.

What doesn’t make a lot of sense to me is they’ve heavily promoted being able to see the mark other players leave on the universe in terms of planets discovered before.. creatures discovered before.. even things left behind? (Not sure how that works).

But how does that fit in with the odds of actually coming across another player in game being described as so remote it may never happen? One surely doesn’t fit with the other. If it’s so unlikely you’ll find another player.. why is it so likely you’ll see their foot prints?

And we’ve seen plenty of this promoted in the videos. You get to name things. And you see things that have been named. But we’ve never seen an interaction between players.

It’s just one of a number of small things that make me suspicious that all is not what it seems with NMS. I’m not suggesting it’s a lie. Not prepared to say that as it's not even out yet. But it’s feeling to me suspiciously like a purely single player game that uploads your data to a server and that’s then shared with other players. Hence there is a record of everyones discoveries.. but you can’t actually see people in game because that’s not what the game has been designed to do.

Which I think if that’s the case will be a let down for a lot of people. But I might be wrong and perhaps multiplayer is fully in there and a lot more likely than we’ve been told and people will have amazing shared experiences. I just think if that were the case we’d have been shown some of that because it would help them sell the game. Single player experience doesn’t have the same ring to it. We’ll see what happens. I hope I don't need any popcorn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, it is a single player game and stuff gets uploaded to the server. You can play offline for example. I imagine it's harder to find people cause, when you're on a planet, the scale of it is way bigger since you're well, on a planet. So even if two people are on the same planet, they may be on the opposite end of the planet for all we know. That said, I don't really know much about player to player interaction since their comments on it are very vague.

The multiplayer(for the small chance you're in the same area as another player) works like the Journey "multiplayer".

It's just a p2p system that will show you another player you can't interact with at all.

People thinking it's going to be like an MMO or any game with a massive amount of players on a single server have only their self to blame for assuming that was the case, they never said it was and always compared it to Journey.

The game has always been advertised as a single player experience, there was no bullshit or lying there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post
    What doesn’t make a lot of sense to me is they’ve heavily promoted being able to see the mark other players leave on the universe in terms of planets discovered before.. creatures discovered before.. even things left behind? (Not sure how that works).

But how does that fit in with the odds of actually coming across another player in game being described as so remote it may never happen? One surely doesn’t fit with the other. If it’s so unlikely you’ll find another player.. why is it so likely you’ll see their foot prints?

And we’ve seen plenty of this promoted in the videos. You get to name things. And you see things that have been named. But we’ve never seen an interaction between players.

It’s just one of a number of small things that make me suspicious that all is not what it seems with NMS. I’m not suggesting it’s a lie. Not prepared to say that as it's not even out yet. But it’s feeling to me suspiciously like a purely single player game that uploads your data to a server and that’s then shared with other players. Hence there is a record of everyones discoveries.. but you can’t actually see people in game because that’s not what the game has been designed to do.

Which I think if that’s the case will be a let down for a lot of people. But I might be wrong and perhaps multiplayer is fully in there and a lot more likely than we’ve been told and people will have amazing shared experiences. I just think if that were the case we’d have been shown some of that because it would help them sell the game. Single player experience doesn’t have the same ring to it. We’ll see what happens. I hope I don't need any popcorn.
    Yeah, they've said that most people will likely never find someone else. However they've also said that you can A) see where your friends are in the galaxy, so you can try to make some attempt to reach each other (try a space station, those are much smaller than planets) and B) see which stars/planets have been visited by other players on the galactic map. Personally I like point B so I can try my best to avoid those systems.

Part of the problem with finding other people is that even in the same solar system, people are tiny compared with space -- you could be closer than ever to another player and never realize it. Planets are big though, as well as nameable by other players; stars are even bigger (and nameable). The path a player would leave is even larger. Sure even the path of a player is peanuts compared to NMS's universe, but I imagine finding it without being able to see it on the galactic map would be more like trying to find a single ant in a field than finding a specific grain of sand on Mars.
    Shhhhh, she's doing magical trig bullshit trig substitutions

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iseeyou View Post
    Ok it explains why we dont have much words on trading yet.

I know there is literally no chance to meet players in the game, but if that miracle happens i would like to give or trade and not only /wave.

But im maybe toO addicted to social aspects idk.
    To be fair, there has been no word whatsoever on trading with other players, whether it exists or not. I doubt they would make any UI for it though, sounds like a waste of time. I wouldn't be surprised by a Dark Souls like dropping system though

The trading the trailer is referring to is NPC trading though

Edit: Apparently you can shoot the other player though :P
    Shhhhh, she's doing magical trig bullshit trig substitutions

Apparently you don't need to land on a planet ever. You can play the game trough entirely by flying in space shooting asteroids, ships, ect. and trade these for required materials. This means there has to be enough trade that this way of playing is possible. They wanted to allow different playstyles.

Alright. Another point is: are they 100% sure their function can really generate 18 quadrilion unique planets? Such a big number can't be tested by humans during a few years, we can be certain that some planets will have very simillar species and differences will be like "2 tails vs 1 tail + size differnce", in some way it's still unique, but repetetive. I even wonder, considering the luck of some popular streamers, that at least one of them will say "well, lets see this 23th planet...omg it has almost the same monsters wtf is with this game, soo much for uniqueness and super duper numbers". I can almost imagine CohhCarnage yelling such sentence at some point.

Well, time will tell We just perceive the stuff in a different way. At least I am glad that somebody on this forum got my point.
    most likely a little bit down the road they will or should also introduce player building, maybe once a large population is close to the center of the galaxy at least where players could build entire cities on the planets as there will be a higher chance to meet players there as all players are going to want to hit this goal at some point, not saying that this will happen but it makes sense it could be possible.

On planets able to have life there is going to be similar looking species of everything, there will be many planets that are very similar and some just a little different, does it matter if there is some repetitiveness in the game, your not going to visit all those planets anyway.

Im looking forward to this game for what it is, just fly around and explore a galaxy the way i want, while i wait for star citizen to be finished, if i get at least 100 hours played time on it then i got my moneys worth.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

The "Fight" trailer was published but taken down after a few minutes, but players managed to watch it and capture the moment with missions
    http://i.imgur.com/vBQwokd.jpg <- bottom-right part of the screen
    zoomed in fragment
    The trailer should be up again soon.

You gotta farm those damn blueprints after all
    Last edited by Slaughty8; 2016-07-20 at 02:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Space murder err... farming simulator... >.>

The figt trailler is out:

Enjoy

We can see:
    - new multitool modifications (3 new gun versions)
    - space crystals
    - crab hostile monsters
    - scary monsters on lava planet
    - 0:28 bottom-right - mentioned earlier quests in my previous post http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post41471172
    - different ships and cocpits
    - Also a new voice saying stuff like "Hostiles Approaching" (credit to @Tryuk)
    Last edited by Slaughty8; 2016-07-20 at 09:43 PM.