Just noticed that they dropped the damage bonus from artifact ranks to 0.5% from 1%

Quote Originally Posted by Agromat View Post
    Either you have 0.8% versatility (which would affect the shield value and tooltip) or your AP calculations are slightly off. If you want to test your AP calculations, you can install DejaCharacterStats - it restores a lot of the info hidden by the new character panel.
    Yea totally missed the versatility This works:

Code:
    function SlamAndAwe:EstimateIgnorePain()
    	local versatilityDamageBonus = GetCombatRatingBonus(CR_VERSATILITY_DAMAGE_DONE) + GetVersatilityBonus(CR_VERSATILITY_DAMAGE_DONE);
    	local versatilityDamangeBonusPerc = (1 + versatilityDamageBonus * 10 ^ -2)
    	local curRage = UnitPower("player", "rage")
      	if curRage >= 20 then
            	local _, STR, _, _ = UnitStat("player", 1)
            	local APbase, APposBuff, APnegBuff = UnitAttackPower("player")
            	local APfinal = APbase + APposBuff + APnegBuff
            	local ipMaxRage = 60
    		return floor((7/15*min(curRage,ipMaxRage)*APfinal)*versatilityDamangeBonusPerc*.9)
       	else
            	return 0
       	end
    end

So I finally got beta this weekend, which means I've finally had the chance to test prot out. On my live copy, I tried out the tanning dummy in the garrison and got up to 43ish stacks. On the pvp pre made copy of 110 I got up to 12 stacks and on the raid boss 3/4, can't remember. I was using impeding victory l, NS, booming voice, and heavy rep. Trinkets on my live copy were worldbreaker's resolve and unseeing eye. Not gonna lie, after this mall sample bit of testing I feel stronger survivability than I'm used to. Especially after WoD, which well you all know how that feels.

Is our artifact the only tank one to be a channel?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Makoma View Post
    Is our artifact the only tank one to be a channel?
    I believe that ability is the only tank ability in the game to be a channel during which we are disabled (or close to it).

Quote Originally Posted by Alaexaender View Post
    I believe that ability is the only tank ability in the game to be a channel during which we are disabled (or close to it).
    Yea, I love /hate it. Makes us unique. Have to use it smarter etc.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shenkz View Post
    I saw 5-man and immediately stopped reading.
    Some of us do more 5 mans than anything else, and I'm not looking forward to the snoozefest that will be prot war tanking, why couldn't they just have promoted easy tanking classes like druid and paladin more, left prot warrior as the class that required an IQ above 40

Quote Originally Posted by IKT View Post
    Some of us do more 5 mans than anything else, and I'm not looking forward to the snoozefest that will be prot war tanking, why couldn't they just have promoted easy tanking classes like druid and paladin more, left prot warrior as the class that required an IQ above 40
    I've only played on ptr, but prot warrior seems plenty difficult. Getting the most out of IP/FR weaving is difficult, even if you know the theory of what to do. For mythic dungeons, where you need to min/max, getting the highest shielding out of NS is going to require knowledge of your limits. When to use SB, as always, will require some thought. Our artifact ability is requires us to position first, then time it correctly. So tell me, where are they removing skill (besides, you know, giving us some actual magical mitigation).

10+ Year Old Account
    So tell me, where are they removing skill (besides, you know, giving us some actual magical mitigation).
    Not to contradict the rest of your post, but isn't Spell Reflection magical mitigation?

It is magic mitigation now, but it used to only reflect a spell, no magic damage reduction. Now it has the DR on it as well as reflecting spells. If you think that's still mitigation, spell reflect works on very few boss fights. Which to me isn't really mitigation but just a cheese ability yet it's weaker than things like dark sim, spellsteal, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamonji View Post
    It is magic mitigation now, but it used to only reflect a spell, no magic damage reduction. Now it has the DR on it as well as reflecting spells. If you think that's still mitigation, spell reflect works on very few boss fights. Which to me isn't really mitigation but just a cheese ability yet it's weaker than things like dark sim, spellsteal, etc.
    It's a 30% magic DR for 5 seconds on a 25 second CD. it being magic mitigation has nothing to do with the reflect. What part of 30% DR isn't going to work on boss fights?

Quote Originally Posted by Kamonji View Post
    What?

Spell Reflect works on all magic damage and on every boss fight:

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=23920

Also I don't get why people keep harping on the lack of magic reduction for Prot. Ingore Pain works on everything and you cast it non-stop. Spell Reflect is very strong and has a very short cooldown. Compare this to Prot Pally, who has zero baseline magic reduction and can only get some via a talent - Holy Shield.

Prot's magic damage reduction is completely fine.

Historically, it's been an issue for both. It will become less so in Legion, especially once we pick up the Reflective Plating trait. We have Ignore Pain as well, so even less than it used to be.

Holy Shield will rarely be taken for Paladins (Blessed Hammer is simply stronger), but the new Shield of the Righteous is full DR now, not just physical (if memory serves, it's like 45% DR with ~20% Mastery on my 100 on Beta). Holy Shield was also kind of gimmicky, it was only your block chance, so you could never be certain if it'd work or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Beardyface View Post
    What?

Spell Reflect works on all magic damage and on every boss fight:

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=23920

Also I don't get why people keep harping on the lack of magic reduction for Prot. Ingore Pain works on everything and you cast it non-stop. Spell Reflect is very strong and has a very short cooldown. Compare this to Prot Pally, who has zero baseline magic reduction and can only get some via a talent - Holy Shield.

Prot's magic damage reduction is completely fine.
    I was meaning currently on live but in Legion warriors are super strong. I would say the best tank out of all the others, but I'm biased. But yeah, I was meaning on live spell reflect really does nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Not to contradict the rest of your post, but isn't Spell Reflection magical mitigation?
    Sorry, that was sarcasm. My point was that the only thing which seems to make prot any easier is that we now have a way to reduce magical damage by a large amount, beyond large cooldowns. That's a good thing to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, that was sarcasm. My point was that the only thing which seems to make prot any easier is that we now have a way to reduce magical damage by a large amount, beyond large cooldowns. That's a good thing to me.
    Yeah I might have misread that.

Ya know what's funny? Right now on beta, the best dps spec for warrior is Prot..lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bytch View Post
    Ya know what's funny? Right now on beta, the best dps spec for warrior is Prot..lol
    Would not mind if it stays that way as long as the dps is directly linked to being hit as there is a limited amount of tanking slots in every raid and it makes 5mans and soloing much easier.

about prot dps is just not true. in dungeons and aoe situations, sometimes - sure. but it's always been like that with tanks.

All tanks are really strong in AoE situations right now - it's always been like that. It's also how we've been telling people to level as Prot, talent Avatar, Ravager, etc, pull everything at once and watch as it drops.