Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    why does the article say warcrafts home is china...and implies the game is only popular in germany and france

Well, the movie was bad, the only way you could enjoy it was if you are already a fan and know the story.

10+ Year Old Account
    People in the US put so much credence into what critics say that this movie didn't stand a chance. "Worst movie of the year" was thrown around in pretty much every review that I read. This coming from critics comparing the film's story to Donald Trump and current racial tensions. It definitely did not deserve the ratings that it received, and it never had a chance because of it. The film was NOT that bad. Not even close.

TLDR: fuck critics
    HEROES NEVER DIE

10+ Year Old Account
    It seemed to me that marketing for the movie basically vanished. In addition, its theatrical release seemed extremely protracted and sporadic.

Whoever was in charge of marketing and distribution seems to have fucked up royally.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    I am not a fanboi, my roommate who I went to see it with doesn't even like WoW or Warcraft, and we both really enjoyed the movie. I did for the lore, he did for the fantasy action. So there goes your theory.

No movie needs to compare to another movie to be good. This isn't one of those things where if you like fantasy action then you MUST watch LOTR. Nothing else compares. No, sorry, if that was the case, most genres would stop being produced because they already have a winner in that category. I actually thought the LOTR movies were pretty bland and boring, and Elija Woods was fucking whiny through the whole fucking thing. But I'm not trying to claim it was a bad series, it obviously did well in theaters. Just not my cup of tea. I enjoyed Warcraft more than LOTR to put things in perspective. It's almost like everyone has their own tastes or something.

- - - Updated - - -

I highly doubt it would've cost more than it did to hire all of those actors. And as for time, is your long-term memory loss going out or something? Do you even realize how long they worked on this movie as it is?

A small little anecdotal thing on the money that Warcraft made. When we went to see it in theaters, they were doing a survey at the front door about what stops people from seeing movies as often as they liked. I dropped my email address and voted, and they sent me the results a week later. Over 80% voted 'cost of tickets'. 'The movie might be bad' was actually UNDER 'The concession stand prices'. In other words, people might WANT to see a movie, in this case Warcraft, but people are tired of shelling out so much money for the tickets. In my local theater the matinee prices are freaking $10. Regular tickets are over $12. That's almost the fucking cost of the DVD, and I only get to watch it ONCE.

Bluray and DVDs are over priced too honestly. I bought deqdpool on the spot cause it was 12 bucks. If it was 19.99, I would have waited. It's weird how prices for everything goes up, but wages stay stagnant while inflation rises. Then people wonder why folks are frugal.

But yes, I see movies rarely and I get a discount most times. 7 bucks is what I am used to as a teenager in the 90s and early 2000s. No fucking way I am gonna spend 17 bucks and get all 3D glamorous for anything less that Star Wars/Jurassic world level films.

A few bubbles need to burst quick cause these prices are getting stupid. And theaters are still botching about how itsbhatdbto turn a profit. Someone is clearly sucking up all the cash, but who?

They wanted to make at least some profit on foreign markets, where people would watch any crap if it is American (tm) and there is something flashy, noisy and blowing up. Also, half of the foreign audience would see the dubbed version, and the other half wouldn't know English and won't judge the abysmal acting. To release it first overseas was a very sound decision.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Surprising it was so popular in China considering that's where blizzard claims they lost the most subscriptions over these last few years.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Well, the movie was bad, the only way you could enjoy it was if you are already a fan and know the story.
    Even then, only the last 45 minutes or so really gripped me at all. Even knowing the story and characters, nothing really pulled me in and gave me a reason to be emotionally vested in anyone. The bit near the end with Garona was about it, but that should have been a highlight rather than a starting point for caring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raldazzar View Post
    Right, someone will have to explain this to me then.

£160 mil. I heard somewhere that they spent 100 mil on marketing etc which seems high but hey oh. so even with that figure.. thats 260 million.. of 400+.. where the hell is the rest of these expenses going to make it a loss?!
    That money gets distributed to all of the groups that had their hands in the cookie jar, so to speak. After everyone else gets their pieces of the pie, you're left with the figures stated in the article...a slight loss.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Surprising it was so popular in China considering that's where blizzard claims they lost the most subscriptions over these last few years.
    You should read the article then. You can see now why it did so amazing in that market, since that country had a lot put into it and now even owns the production company that made the movie in the first place.

I had no idea how it did that great in China until I saw this. Now it makes sense.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    Someone paid for me to see it with them, because I refused.

It was tacky. If you had no clue who the characters were, then you couldn't follow along. There was too much happening all the time to grasp the impact and implications of the action of the main characters.

You have this gate, this gate leads to another world. For some unknown reason Orcs world is dying(you only get vague hints 1/3 into the movie), and they need to find a different world to inhabit. Yet, Orcs don't find one uninhabited, they just rend into Azeroth just cause.

Then you have opposition of the Orcs invasion based on need, with characters you have no reason to care about.

The Alliance is just there, with no introduction and no explanation. You have Khadgar with no explanation on his abilities nor his reason for leaving the Kirin Tor, the movie never explains what the Kirin Tor's role is in Azeroth, and the importance of it.

Never explains Medivh and his Guardianship. Never explains his important role in things. You just get the vague sense he is important. Medivh was possessed but it doesn't really explain that, and you don't have a clue to the importance of his possession and even WHO was possessing him.

I could go on more, but I'm done. If you had no clue about any of the lore surrounding Warcraft, then the movie made little sense. I had to explain 3/4 of the movie to my wife afterwards.

I enjoyed the movie, because I understood what was going on without explanation. Wife thought it was cool looking, but felt the movie was made for people on the inside. This wasn't a movie made for people, but made for fans.
    To be fair, my GF forced me to go see it, even tho she thinks wow is a waste of time, she ended up loving it, I think the movie was far better than what I expected and for me the imdb rating seems to be on the mark.

And alot of movies start without a 10 hour presentation of what happened in the past, star wars is a good example, I'm sure you were able to follow the star wars movies very well without reading all the books.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Reading through some of the reviews on RT back when the movie was just being released and then comparing them to audience reviews, it seems extremely clear the critics were extra hard on it because it's based on a video game. I didn't watch the movie myself, but it seemed like some of them used their review to bitch about Warcraft or WoW instead of the movie.
    Pretty much. The sheer volume of people who said that it was a WoW game demonstrates how poor their research or even basic knowledge in the area went.

Ultimately, it was a decent movie, by no means epic or groundbreaking but serviceable in the end, and they've given far fairer reviews for far worse movies. And that has a massive impact when so many movie theaters decide they can't take a financial risk. It's pretty damaging for a theater to have empty seats at a big movie during prime time, and poor critic reviews play into that.

Why are people so obsessed with proving it was a failure? It was an ok movie about a specific game. It had a specific audience. They will sell a lot of DVDs to that same audience in the end. I don't think anyone ever thought it was going to be some earth shattering game, including those who made it.

10+ Year Old Account
    There was a concerted effort in the American movie media to make this film a financial failure and to instill in the minds of potential movie goers that this film wasn't worth their money to see. I don't believe any of these reports.

Shit movie, it made Marios Bros. look like Citizen Kane. Time for you kids to stop living in denial and accept you have horrible tastes

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skillslam View Post
    Shit movie, it made Marios Bros. look like Citizen Kane.
    You've either never seen Mario Bros or you've never seen Citizen Kane. I'm thinking you've probably seen neither.

Quote Originally Posted by jasontheking1234 View Post
    I'm laughing to shit on how your post is in general. I got this movie 100%, despite me not being into WC1 much. LOL! I'm usually a fan when it comes to just WC2, and beyond. I could forget about WC1 lore. But still, nothing confused me! the story was so simple! So simple, it infact worked as a 2 and a half hour long movie. Sure, some parts didn't make sense, nor did some parts get explained or get more developed, but for duncans first big movie, and a first movie for a big cinematic universe, can you blame him? NO! I think he did well honestly.

Also, to shed a little light as to what I mean by "This story is simple af", take a LOOK: Planet is dying, orcs invade other planet, they invade human cities, humans prepare for war, they gain help from a mage, he gets corrupted by a demon slowly but surely, some orcs hate other orcs, those orcs help humans, half orc and half human helps with both sides, humans invade orcs, orcs have civil war, 2 orcs fight to the death, 2 human guys fight human demon possessed mage, mage is source, mage dies, orcs portal closes humans defeat orcs, alliance is created.

THE FUCKING END! It's not that confusing once you look at it a second time. Jesus christ.
    Wait what...? planet is doing what?, something invades someplace...ugh brain is exploding...so complex!!!

Sorry. All (poorly constructed) sarcasm aside, I went to watch the movie with some kids who never played any of the Warcraft games and none of them had trouble following the movie. There was what, 1-2 twists that were pretty straight forward. It's not hard to figure out why the one side is attacking. it's not hard to figure out why the other side is defending and fighting back.

I dunno, this seemed like a very easy movie to follow. I'm astounded by the people who said they couldn't follow it. Feels like they are saying, "me not good at movies", like them not being able to follow the movie is somehow the movie's fault.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempguy View Post
    The production cost of a film is not the total cost.[/I]
    The box office of a film is not the total earning of a film either. Add distribution rights (notably 18m in a single deal in China), merchandise and the soon to come DVD/BluRay revenues.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Pretty much. The sheer volume of people who said that it was a WoW game demonstrates how poor their research or even basic knowledge in the area went.

Ultimately, it was a decent movie, by no means epic or groundbreaking but serviceable in the end, and they've given far fairer reviews for far worse movies. And that has a massive impact when so many movie theaters decide they can't take a financial risk. It's pretty damaging for a theater to have empty seats at a big movie during prime time, and poor critic reviews play into that.
    I'd argue that it was ground breaking. The CG was amazing. I've seen good CG in a movie before, but don't know if I've ever seen it that good in the grand scale they did it as well as with the smallest detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Xandrigity View Post
    It was an ok movie about a specific game.
    It was not OK movie, it was a mediocre one. It didn't show anything fantastic being a fantasy movie; it did not have immersive action being an action movie; it had awful dialogs and wooden acting; and as hard it is to mess up the war story, but it had managed to do exactly that. That shit was not a Warcraft movie I wanted to see, and millions of other players agree with me.

I know WoW fans really wanted this to be a commercial success. I'm sorry it wasn't.

As others have pointed out it wasn't a terrible movie, it was just a mediocre one.

If it makes you feel any better I have a feeling the movie I have been waiting to be made since forever, The Dark Tower, scheduled to be released in 2017 is going to fall into the same boat.

Series like Warcraft and The Dark Tower just simply can't be done right in a movie format, they need to be released in the same fashion as HBO shows, like GoT.

Can you imagine if GoT was released as a movie? It would be terrible.
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2016-07-17 at 02:48 PM.