10+ Year Old Account
    I paid the least attention to fantasy I ever have and I almost won, don't give up yet!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Oh and I expect a happy NG in here any moment, cause his Amerson jersey seems to have been a good idea. Amerson signed a 4 year deal with the Raiders.

They have to have seen something in him this off season because they're not paying cheap.

Mind you I'd have offered him that contract for laying out Geno Smith in week seven.
    Last edited by Northern Goblin; 2016-07-16 at 02:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Contract offers to Cousins were pretty poor, they only offered him $24mil guaranteed, he is gonna get $20mil on the tag, would be pretty dumb to take such a bad offer. Who would settle for $16mil annual when Brock can get $18mil/year and $37mil guaranteed?

There was some talk of the low QB salaries that Denver has... Philly has over $60mil in guarantees tied up in the QB position, maybe they will invent some new offense where all three of them are on the field at once... Denver has less than $10mil in guaranteed QB money right now, and their QB trio doesn't look much worse than what the Eagles have. My only positive thoughts for Eagles QBs are from Chase Daniel anyway, and he will probably play the least of the three.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cousins definitely deserves more than Brock, but Brock got overpaid. Not really his fault.

10+ Year Old Account
    Washington is making a mistake. Not by not signing Cousins, but by not making a clear decision.

They are basically saying that out of the three scenarios that can happen they are confident that the worst one for their future negotiating position is NOT going to happen. Which basically means they are fully expecting Cousins to regress this year. Cause if he;s as decent as he was last year then Washington will have no barganing position AND they're then stuck paying him an ridiculous amount of money should they try to tag him. If he performs BETTER than last year that position only becomes worse.

So the only logical reason why Washington wouldn't make Cousins a good, long term, offer right now is if they banked on the fact that Cousins overperformed and is actually going to have a less good year this year, in which case they can sign him to a team friendly deal. The weird thing is, why the fuck would they want him long term if he regresses?

In the end I think it's pretty reasonable to say that Washington doesn't trust in it's own talent evaluation. Cause if Cousins is good enough, they should have signed him long term right now. And if he;s not good enough they should be taking measures to move on from him. Instead they're admitting that they have no clue, and do this half hearted thing, where they give him a silly offer he has no reason to take and pay 20 million for him this year to push the issue on to next year, where the decision becomes will be even more delicate to make.

A team that trusts in it's own evaluation would have acted, and not pushed the decision forward. Doing what they did regarding Cousins makes me question a frontoffice that seemed to know what it was doing till now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even if Cousins has a crummy year he'll still be better off than if he took that crappy offer.

Last time a QB played on the tag he did a pretty good job but the team let him go anyway, some good stuff happened for him after that.

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Even if Cousins has a crummy year he'll still be better off than if he took that crappy offer.

Last time a QB played on the tag he did a pretty good job but the team let him go anyway, some good stuff happened for him after that.
    And the Saints were ever so happy that happened. Some good stuff indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Yeah iffy myself. I'm gonna be playing a lot of OW/Legion.
    well thankfully I went to rehab and kicked that nasty World of Warcrack Addiction years ago, so I have plenty of free time in my life. Civilization VI and Battlefield 1 do come out in October, but those won't be touched when Football games are on.........well maybe Civ will be since it's turn based and I can stop/start playing anytime I want. lol

I play for close to 1,000 dollars in my league so I do dedicate a fair amount of time on research and setting my Rosters. Just makes watching football so much more fun when you're not just rooting for your 1 team.

Redskins are just being the Redskins with Cousins. Snyder forced the pick of RG3, then Shannahan took the guy he wanted later. He probably does not want to give Cousins a long term deal and prove he was wrong or something. I'm not really sure what team would even offer Cousins a contract next year when so many have young QBs, or have huge amounts invested in the position already even though he would be an easy upgrade.

However, as the last situation of tag then no deal showed, it can work out well for both parties sometimes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    I'm not really sure what team would even offer Cousins a contract next year when so many have young QBs, or have huge amounts invested in the position already even though he would be an easy upgrade.
    Dolphins
    Bears
    49ers
    Cardinals
    Bills
    Browns
    Jets
    Saints
    Chiefs

A lot can happen in a year and all of those teams can easily get out of the contracts for their current QBs in 2017. The best fit is Washington, so they better get their shit together if they want to keep him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dallas Cowboys most valuable sports team! We're #1! We're #1!

(cause we cant / wont be #1 in football for a looooong time)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Dallas Cowboys most valuable sports team! We're #1! We're #1!

(cause we cant / wont be #1 in football for a looooong time)
    Go ahead NFL and send us our Super Bowl rings now.
    "The Russians can't beat us at anything--they can't even feed themselves." Woody Hayes

10+ Year Old Account
    If only the billionaires could build their teams without silly restrictions like the salary cap...what a mess it would be. Not sure how the rest of you feel, and technically I have no way to judge how things were before the salary cap era, since I didn't watch football then, but I think salary cap era football, is MUCH more entertaining and fun. Without restrictions things get stale and silly so fast.

10+ Year Old Account
    NBA shows what can happen in a situation like that. You build a legitimate super team, teh entire league gets boring to watch.

Stood in the Fire Grapefruitsnz's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The NRL (National Rugby League, the competition/sport that Jarryd Hayne came from) has had fairly constant bitching about it's salary cap that's been in place for the past 15 odd years. One of the major complaints is teams don't get to keep all the players it develops when they eventually go to other teams for bigger money due to salary cap restrictions, yet I'm always amazed the pundits and experts don't quite realise the alternative to a non-salary capped sport: the richer clubs (Cowboys would be the NFL example along with a few more) get to build their insane teams while the less rich/smaller market teams are basically relegated to just developing players only to have them cherry picked.

I mean, for all the success they've had and the great legacy they've built, the Green Bay Packers would be nowhere near as good if the NFL didn't have/removed it's salary cap in todays crazy cash world, being the epitome of the small town team.
    Last edited by Grapefruitsnz; 2016-07-17 at 09:56 AM.

While I am definitely for a cap, I wouldnt mind it increasing at a slightly higher rate. A, because I feel even with their large salaries players deserve more then they are making considering the physical impact and toll of playing the game is entirely on them. B, I think this would lead to more exciting games over the course of the year. There are bad teams out there with bad owners, bad management, and bad coaching (At least comparably). A higher cap will likely just see these teams gaining very little as they already have proven to not be great at assembling a well rounded team. teams that don't have these flaws though might pick up a solid talent or two or resign someone they normally wouldnt have been able to. I think this would make the games between two well crafted teams that much better and the games with the poorly managed teams wouldnt change much. A 5% or so extra bump a year I don't think would have a major impact (And maybe after 5 years or so they could revert back to the old increase).

A better comparison to what a non-cap NFL would look like instead of the NBA would be MLB. There are teams with some of the highest payrolls middle/bottom of their leagues every year. The biggest issue with the MLB payroll rules that the NFL prevents is a minimum spending amount. In baseball there are teams that spend very little compared to others (Athletics, Rays for example), and teams that know they have to rebuild trade their higher contract players (sometimes their only ones people buy tickets to see) in exchange for prospects that might not even pan out, and if they do it takes a couple years. Without looking at numbers, it feels like they both the NFL and MLB are pretty close to the same competition wise (overall, not just who wins championships), both have teams that are usually good and ones that are always bad with others rotating. The one big benefit of the salary cap is it does theoretically help teams rebuild quicker, and not let dominate teams last long.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    If only the billionaires could build their teams without silly restrictions like the salary cap...what a mess it would be. Not sure how the rest of you feel, and technically I have no way to judge how things were before the salary cap era, since I didn't watch football then, but I think salary cap era football, is MUCH more entertaining and fun. Without restrictions things get stale and silly so fast.
    Without a cap the players would just command much more money. NFL players are already paid a joke compared to other sports. I'm kinda for that. Just hearing about the NBA contracts that went out during FA was crazy. Baseball has sort of a soft cap, but the rich teams can spend over that if they want. However not every club spends money. It wasn't because they were poor, its because they were stingy. Like the Mariners for 10 years. Mariners spending 240m on Robinson Cano was a very shocking move.

I guess that kinda happens when a company owned your team, and that company was in the shitter in that era.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Without a cap the players would just command much more money. NFL players are already paid a joke compared to other sports. I'm kinda for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faltemer View Post
    While I am definitely for a cap, I wouldnt mind it increasing at a slightly higher rate. A, because I feel even with their large salaries players deserve more then they are making considering the physical impact and toll of playing the game is entirely on them.
    Agree with both statements, despite that they are somewhat contradictory. On one hand, I find it completely ridiculous when players are being offered huge contracts and still turn them down because they want even more money. $10M a year isn't enough, you want $15M? I get that you're a superstar but to me it seems silly; I wouldn't even know what to do with $10M a year, after the first few years you'd have enough to retire for life and live comfortably. Then again, I guess that's how a lot of players go broke too, they get caught up in the lifestyle and buy a billion Porsches and ten years later they're completely washed up. Not to say that a player should never hold out, but there are definitely cases where holding out for too long/for too much money only makes the player look selfish and ultimately hurts the game for the fans.

But I also agree with what Faltemer said. Compare NFL contracts to NBA contracts, especially the crazy ones being made this offseason, and you'll see that NBA players make absurdly more money. Yes, they have a longer season and play 80-something games, but basketball is also nowhere near as physically exhausting on your body as football is. When you consider the latest research done on CTE and other types of head/brain injury that occurs in football players (especially as they age), it would make sense to think that NFL players should be paid a little more - call it occupational hazard pay, if you will.

I think a middle ground should be taken as far as the salary cap goes, the NBA has shown that with very little limitations you get all these crazy superstar trades and end up having "superteams" (Warriors now with KD, Celtics 10 years ago when they got KG and Ray Allen, etc.). That can be exciting to watch at first until you realize that all the talent will eventually be on a small handful of teams.

10+ Year Old Account
    A non Salary cap NFL would be dominated by the Cowboys and the Niners.

No one wants to see that.