Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Locking at 60 seems to want to stay between 55fps and 58fps. It's weird as hell coz locking to 65 gives a solid 65fps.
    Yeah i've seen the same on live. Are you seeing this on PTR too? I think it was fixed with 7.0, because doesn't seem to be happening anymore with it at 60.

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Our experinces are very different then. I am running WoW beta at 4k with a 980ti (not all that different than the TitanX) and I get a good 8-10 difference between the settings. Also when just sitting in my garrison I peak up around 60-80 (flux's around that depending on lighting effects etc on screen when moving around). In cities and certain encounters it kind drops to the 40-50 range. A few times in really crowded situations I am dipping to mid 30's.

I have a few thoughts. Not garantees but worth looking into.

Drivers might just not be jiving right now. A reinstall might help.

then my second thought..

Maybe your nvidia panel is set up nicely for standard WoW (the outside of the game thing) but is totally stock setup for WoW beta (two different things in there from what I can see in there, for me at least).

My setting were the same. But it might not be the case for you. If that isn't it than I am not totally sure after that. I know the view distance thing will and most certainly should drop the rate. It only makes sense right.
    See a few posts above, it was the area I was testing in. I have disabled AA for the time being. There is a difference at 4K, but not a 20-30FPS worthy difference in certain zones.

I have also disabled vsync, triple buffering, and reduce input lag. I set FPS locking to 60 instead. Vsync was locking my FPS to 45 whenever I dipped below 60. I also set the game to Windowed (Fullscreen) to get rid of the tearing caused by no longer using vsync.

This was a pretty nice increase, getting about 50-60FPS flying around nagrand on the max preset (10).
    Last edited by tyrindor; 2016-07-17 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrindor View Post
    This was a pretty nice increase, getting about 50-60FPS flying around nagrand on the max preset (10).
    Happy to hear that. This is pretty much where it should be. I know some people will come in here telling you they are getting 100-150 of FPS playing WoW at 4k but it is bullshit as far as I can tell. I have a really good computer and I have friend that have a whole lot better and that just isn't realistic. The people saying that are likely sitting inside a small home in Stormwind with no players around.

Your lowest FPS will not be in raids using the default legion presets. It will be traveling around the world with the 3x increased draw distance and massively increased ground clutter density. These are handled by the GPU, not the CPU.

Yes, but what do outside fps matter? I gladly trade them for raid fps anytime

I know some people will come in here telling you they are getting 100-150 of FPS playing WoW at 4k but it is bullshit as far as I can tell. I have a really good computer and I have friend that have a whole lot better and that just isn't doable. The people saying that are likely sitting inside a small home in Stormwind with no players around.
    Do you mean on PTR or live?

I can assure you I do get ~100FPS flying around nagrand on live with Ultra and 4x MSAA. I just double checked. However, live does looks like garbage compared to what 7.0 offers. Nagrand looks jaw dropping on PTR considering how old the game is.

I'd assume the difference is the fact I have the CPU overclocked to 4.5GHz, and I also have the Titan X overclocked a decent amount. I'd really love to get a solid 60FPS while outside on PTR and it seems so close, I achieve it just by dropping ground clutter to 9. Pretty big visual difference in certain areas though, but still looks better than 6.0 on both settings.

Makes me want to grab a 1080 now and sell it when the 1080Ti comes out. Must...wait..

Quote Originally Posted by coprax View Post
    Yes, but what do outside fps matter? I gladly trade them for raid fps anytime
    I don't follow. If your outside FPS is higher, your raid FPS is also going to be higher too (or at the bare minimium the same). You will get higher FPS in raids with a better GPU too, just not as much as you would flying around outside. Yes, you'd probably get more FPS in raids by upgrading the CPU first but.. why not both?

You will be spending a lot more time in the world in legion, FYI.
    Last edited by tyrindor; 2016-07-17 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakloh View Post
    taxi tests are useless in raids or cities. it provides a false narrative of what you would really expect when you play the game.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is what I'm running atm

http://puu.sh/q4GXD/895b4ddd9b.jpg

http://puu.sh/q4GX5/c9b797b762.jpg

I'll check PTR later.

low:

maximum:

980ti

I think I will play lower settings - the more realistic light makes all darker and more gritty and that doesn't look like WoW to me anymore. WoW was always very bright and clean colors.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Works fine for me at 4k.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Legion PTR seems horribly optimized. I'm running good on shadows, view distance, and water on live with 70 fps with little change in lfr. Turning all those down to low on legion gives me 35-45 fps tanking hard in raids to the 20s.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Only FPS drops I get occure by looking in Suramars general direction. Something in that zone is still really bad optimized.

Do you mean on PTR or live?
    Beta is what I was pointing at.

Beta is what I was pointing at.
    Ah yea, definitely don't see any computer on the current market getting 100+ FPS at 4K on max with Legion. AA or no AA.

I'd need video proof to believe that, it takes so much brute force to power through this old engine.
    Last edited by tyrindor; 2016-07-17 at 04:41 PM.

Seems to me like there are some missing optimizations on the beta. I think anti aliasing is the culprit for me. Seems any AA drops frame rates by a lot more than it should.

Quote Originally Posted by Brocksley View Post
    Seems to me like there are some missing optimizations on the beta. I think anti aliasing is the culprit for me. Seems any AA drops frame rates by a lot more than it should.
    You know what's strange is that AA wasn't making any any performance difference for me earlier today, and now it's making huge differences everywhere I try. I also just got on PTR again and my performance seems WAY higher (60FPS everywhere, completely maxed) - even in the same zones. So freaking strange...

Will have to wait until Tuesday to see actual performance, but I suspect they are still optimizing.
    Last edited by tyrindor; 2016-07-17 at 04:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I noticed the same strange FPS differences. Turning view distance from 10 to 7 (only change, the rest is all left at Ultra) made a MASSIVE difference for me. 40fps to 100.

Those who talk about WoW being demanding on the CPU, it really isn't anymore, I suggest you monitor how much of the CPU it actually uses when you play, it's way more demanding on the GPU these days.

Quote Originally Posted by aktorsyl View Post
    I noticed the same strange FPS differences. Turning view distance from 10 to 7 (only change, the rest is all left at Ultra) made a MASSIVE difference for me. 40fps to 100.
    Thats really one of the biggest changes in Legion anyway, the viewing distance is like 10 times that on Live, so reducing it back down gives you performance back which you used to have. Any other comparisons of FPS and blaming optimizations are flawed, as it inherently has to render more if you compare (Live) Ultra to 10, or even Ultra to 7 or 8.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adam552 View Post
    Those who talk about WoW being demanding on the CPU, it really isn't anymore, I suggest you monitor how much of the CPU it actually uses when you play, it's way more demanding on the GPU these days.
    Unfortunately such monitoring is often flawed, because Windows does not show you full usage on one core properly (it somehow distributes it over multiple cores). The problem here is that WoW doesn't utilize multiple cores properly due to the engine just being so old, so it may max out one core and be limited there, but you still only show 25% CPU usage in Task Manager (which would be full load on one core in a quad core system)
    Last edited by Nevcairiel; 2016-07-17 at 07:11 PM.

There are some issues with performance atm it seems. Even a 1080 GTX is having issues getting more than 110 fps in Garrison on live atm (1440p). And that is with a i7 5930K @4.5ghz.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    Thats really one of the biggest changes in Legion anyway, the viewing distance is like 10 times that on Live, so reducing it back down gives you performance back which you used to have. Any other comparisons of FPS and blaming optimizations are flawed, as it inherently has to render more if you compare (Live) Ultra to 10, or even Ultra to 7 or 8.
    Absolutely agree with you there. Thought my rig could handle viewing distance at 10 though, so it could also be that the Beta isn't optimised fully for graphics? I don't know. Have a GTX 980 (not Ti) in there, with an 6600K oc'ed to 4.4GHz.

Deleted
    Turn shadow quality down