Page 1 of 15
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Angry Riot gear, steel barriers, 7,000 police and security personnel for GOP convention

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/republi...land-1.3682656

Cleveland's police chief says the law enforcement officials tasked with overseeing the security of the city during the four-day Republican National Convention are prepared for "anything and everything."

Chief Calvin Williams said the force has gone through the "what if" scenarios, the "table top" exercises — security sessions discussing the roles, responsibilities and responses to any given situation — and ultimately "have planned for everything that can and will happen."

Those confident assertions will be put to the test starting Sunday as thousands pour into the city for the convention, and thousands more, representing various causes, prepare to march and demonstrate.

The Republican National Convention, at Cleveland`s Quicken Loans Arena, brings together delegates over four days from across the country to vote on the party platform, hammer out party rules and officially choose the party's presidential and vice-presidential candidate. It starts Monday and runs for four days.

Conventions have often been the scene of violent protest and that concern has been amplified by the tension across the U.S. in the wake of high-profile police shootings of black men, which have led to demonstrations and clashes with police.

Security issues have also been heightened following the shooting of five police officers in Dallas by a sniper and the recent attack in Nice, where more than 80 people were killed when a man driving a truck barrelled down a crowded street.

'Concerned about the possibility of violence'

There is also worry that Donald Trump supporters and protesters, who have clashed at other rallies, could precipitate more violence.

"I am concerned about the prospect of demonstrations getting out of hand," Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson told the House homeland security committee this week. "I am concerned about the possibility of violence."

FBI Director James Comey, speaking at that same hearing, added that there is always concern that an event like this will attract people from across "a spectrum of radical groups."

Along with local officials, dozens of federal agencies — including the U.S. Secret Service, the Department of Homeland Security and the FBI — have been and continue to be involved in security detail.

The city was given a $50-million grant to boost security specifically for the Republican convention. Officials have been wary to provide information on security, but anywhere between 4,000 to 5,000 state and local law enforcement officers will be on hand for the event. Officers have undergone hours of comprehensive training, Williams said.

Extra equipment includes 2,000 sets of riot gear with body armour and batons, 2,500 steel barriers and 16 police motorcycles, CNN reported. Meanwhile, security cameras have been placed throughout the city.

"Trust me. There will be enough video coverage both on the ground and in the sky," Williams told reporters.

Around 3,000 personnel, including members from the U.S. Secret Service, Homeland Security and the Coast Guard, are dedicated to the security of the convention itself, Johnson said.

On Friday, officials set up concrete traffic dividers and tall metal fences around the convention site, propelled by fresh urgency in the wake of the Nice attack.

Security experts said that the U.S. Secret Service and other law enforcement agencies have viewed vehicles as a potential threat since early in their 18 months of planning for the convention.

A 4.4-square-kilometre event zone has been established in downtown Cleveland, with protest groups being assigned permits and being limited to certain areas. Some who never sought a permit, however, have suggested they may demonstrate in other areas.

No tennis balls, but guns OK

Security officials drew up a list of prohibited items within the event zone that include items as diverse as water and pellet guns, knives, sledgehammers, ladders, coolers and ice chests, canned goods, umbrellas with metal tips and tennis balls.

But Ohio is an "open carry" state, meaning gun-owners will be able to carry firearms, except within the security perimeter that surrounds the convention venue, dubbed "The Q."

This has raised some concerns, as certain groups, like the Oath Keepers, have suggested they may come armed.

Wow. That is a lot of security. Also a ridiculous amount of tax dollars being spent. Not keen on this at all. The idea of showing up armed to the convention really boggles the mind.

Well there's 50 million well spent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Understandable in this climate.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

They found one! It's like a unicorn being swarmed by press apparently.
    https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/stat...08273375375360

Deleted
    Tennisace why do you mock democracy ? It costs money to keep it running you know, some of us want to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Why exactly? Wasn't the point of guns for all to provide protection? Why the need to spend 50 millions for protection against the protection? Doesn't that suggest that the earlier "protection" is infact nonsense?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexton View Post
    Tennisace why do you mock democracy ? It costs money to keep it running you know, some of us want to keep it.
    I don't think you understand how much 50 million dollars is. I don't want my tax dollars to be wasted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why exactly? Wasn't the point of guns for all to provide protection? Why the need to spend 50 millions for protection against the protection? Doesn't that suggest that the earlier "protection" is infact nonsense?
    Why? Because people have been shooting police around the country for the last month or so. Because Trump is the most divisive candidate in American politics in generations. Because tensions are so high in this country right now that political assassination attempts aren't just believable, but almost seem likely.

While I generally agree that the "guns for everyone makes everyone safer" argument is bullshit, that's not what this level of security is about (and shouldn't be what we make this thread about). This level of security is there because of the current zeitgeist of the country, not because of the open carry laws in Ohio.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    I don't think you understand how much 50 million dollars is. I don't want my tax dollars to be wasted.
    I thought you lived in Canada?
    you can't make this shit up
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Third-wave feminism or Choice feminism is actually extremely egalitarian
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I hate America
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I don't read/watch any of these but to rank them:Actual news agency (mostly factual):CNN MSNBC NPR

10+ Year Old Account
    Cops are being hunted and we just had a terrorist attack. This is a gathering of a lot of Governors and Congressmen the security is necessary. Also it only says the city was given 50 mill that doesn't mean they spent all of it on security for the event.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    Cops are being hunted and we just had a terrorist attack. This is a gathering of a lot of Governors and Congressmen the security is necessary. Also it only says the city was given 50 mill that doesn't mean they spent all of it on security for the event.
    I read there's 20000 people expected and out of those 75% are media.

So you have 7000 police and security there to do what exactly?

I live in Cleveland, Ohio. Ten minutes from where this is taking place. Can I come stay with one of you for a week?

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Now that they've disarmed all of the law abiding citizens, the RNC will definitely be attacked.
    Well clearly they'll just get the guns illegally, just as the Republicans claim is apparently so easy to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    The US is wasting Canadian tax dollars?
    If he/she's from Candada, I' believe they're referring to imagining their country spending that kind of money on a "necessity" like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I believe the point is that if it has gotten to this "climate" - that there's clearly something very wrong.

Stop digging the hole, and all that...

10+ Year Old Account
    Tenn you're an idiot. The situation in this country with cops being killed and terrorist attacks going on every week is a problem. They HAVE TO take extra precautions. An army of nutjobs swarming the GOP where all the republican leaders are is all we fucking need right now.

So you have 7000 police and security there to do what exactly?
    Do you not know what the concept of a deterrent is?

infracted - minor flaming
    Last edited by Crissi; 2016-07-17 at 06:09 PM.

There's no way to ban guns. Even if you got rid of the second amendment, within 10 years, guns will be all over the place thanks to 3d printers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenris the Shaman View Post
    Tenn you're an idiot. The situation in this country with cops being killed and terrorist attacks going on every week is a problem. They HAVE TO take extra precautions. An army of nutjobs swarming the GOP where all the republican leaders are is all we fucking need right now.

Who is saying not to take precautions? 50 million dollars and 7000 police is overkill. Moderation mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    There's no way to ban guns. Even if you got rid of the second amendment, within 10 years, guns will be all over the place thanks to 3d printers.
    Ever heard of Australia?

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris the Shaman View Post
    Why not triple the army too, and call it in? And sell guns at 80% discount nationwide for the week?

10+ Year Old Account
    Who is saying not to take precautions? 50 million dollars and 7000 police is overkill. Moderation mate.
    SUGGEST SOMETHING THEN. Do you know ANYTHING about security? Do you have a degree in criminal justice? Do you have any training or experience at all in law enforcement or security?

Ever heard of Australia?

Why not triple the army too, and call it in? And sell guns at 80% discount nationwide for the week?
    Way to attack my argument in a way to make me sound like a retard. I never suggested any of those things.

Deleted
    "Extra equipment includes 2,000 sets of riot gear with body armour and batons, 2,500 steel barriers and 16 police motorcycles, CNN reported."

Yeah, I'd say it's money well spent because the gear isn't just going to vanish into thin air but will be used in operations in the future if necessary.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ever heard of Australia?
    Yes, it's gun situation is hugely different than the USAs. What worked for them won't work for us.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.