Artifact question that has probably been asked a million times

Couldn't seem to find any recent information for this. Let say I level as BM, play the first raid tier as BM, then the guild wants hunters to be Marksman for the next tier. Does this mean if I haven't spent the time leveling up the Marksman artifact, I'll be at a disadvantage? Can I respec my artifact power?

It seems like leveling artifacts is not an easy task, last I heard they estimated it will take a few months to max one. That seems like a lot if we have to level up one for each spec (+ each spec on alts).

Can someone shed some light on how this works?
    Last edited by tyrindor; 2016-07-17 at 05:39 PM.

You need to level other artifacts from the start again but the longer you play, the higher artifact knowledge you will be therefore increasing the rate you gain artifact power making it easier to level other weapons.

I've been testing it by mostly putting my points in my main spec and putting some in an off spec.... so I won't be high end but then my off spec won't be worthless either. It would probably be easier in a class that has dps/tank/healer as you can just use world quest rewards on 1 spec and dungeon rewards on another. I'm thinking most might do this.... this weapon is going to be your only weapon all expansion so you'll have plenty of time to get it maxed out. Might mean you aren't OP in 1 spec come first raid tier but I'd rather be good in two spec's rather than awesome in one and crappy in another.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrindor View Post
    Couldn't seem to find any recent information for this. Let say I level as BM, play the first raid tier as BM, then the guild wants hunters to be Marksman. Does this mean if I haven't spent the time leveling up the Marksman artifact, I'll be at a disadvantage? or do all artifacts level up together for that character?

It seems like leveling artifacts is not an easy task, last I heard they estimated it will take a few months to max one. That seems like a lot if we have to level up one for each spec (+ each spec on alts).

Is this just the replacement for the garrison grind, to give people a reason to go out into the world?
    Its spec specific. So if I level as enhancement first and my guild loses a healer and wants me resto, id be at a disadvantage. This is why Blizz probably wants all specs to be equal more than ever so that doesnt happen. It still could, though.

So, artifacts dont level up together, you have to level each one individually. If you play BM, you want to level up that artifact and really only that one so you arent at a disadvantage during progression or in pvp. You could put artifact power into both BM and MM, but then BM will fall behind later on due to how long it takes to actually progress your artifact. If you want BM to be your main spec, focus on that.

You do get this thing called artifact knowledge from your order hall which speeds up the process of leveling your offspecs artifact.
    Last edited by Taeldorian; 2016-07-17 at 05:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrindor View Post
    last I heard they estimated it will take a few months to max one. That seems like a lot if we have to level up one for each spec (+ each spec on alts).

Can someone shed some light on how this works?
    its true, it will take time to level one fully from the start of the expansion, but as time goes by, Artifact Knowledge grows as well, making catch up quicker.

the cost of points doesnt change, while the speed of gaining those points increases over time. it will be quicker to get closer in line with your main spec, or other people that have been leveling their artifact all along.

you wont be fully 100% caught up to them instantly...but you will get to a very close point rather quickly, making it less of an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.