Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracin View Post
    Also, sensationalist title is sensastional...Page had no idea how injured the other fighter was when he did his victory celebration.
    Which is why it was classless. He should have checked on him first after a knee that brutal. Seems like I only see this kind of disrespect in MMA.

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Which is why it was classless. He should have checked on him first after a knee that brutal. Seems like I only see this kind of disrespect in MMA.
    No you don't. Football players always celebrate after a big hit. Baseball players celebrate after a big play, even if someone got hurt in the process. Basketball players celebrate after a big dunk, even if someone got injured in the process. Soccer players celebrate after a score, even if it means someone got injured. It happens in every sport, don't pretend it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by The One Percent View Post
    As long as everyone is consenting, I don't see the problem. Fighting is invigorating.
    It's good that it's less restricted than other sports but blows like these to the head are seriously dangerous...
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to be classy you can't be a fighter. There is nothing "classy" about beating the fuck out of someone. Some of the most innocent looking hits end up doing severe damage sometimes. And some of the most brutal looking hits do nothing.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

Quote Originally Posted by Hana Song View Post
    Why do people do this for sports? Do they enjoy causing eachother pain or possibly death? Go play baseball or football or soccer if you want to compete in sports, not a sport where you beat the other to almost death
    Retired pro-MMA fighter here, as a women's strawweight. I've played other sports, but to be honest, I'm not so good at the more technical and finesse aspects of sports. I played football as a receiver, returner and sometimes defensive back, but I was always an arm/chest catcher. I'm terrible at baseball and soccer. Some people really excel at the violent aspects of some sports, and excel at the violence in purely violent sports. I was a Judo player before I was in MMA. A lot of people are high school and college wrestlers. A lot have played muay thai or kyokushin.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gracin View Post
    Yea, I'd imagine a MMA fighter over his/her career is less likely to end up with severe brain injuries compared to a traditional boxer.
    The main cause of that, ironically, is less protection. You're more likely to go down and out, earlier in a fight, and sustain less damage over the course of a fight. Fighters also have the benefit of referees being ready to call TKOs at the moment someone's not able to adequately defend themselves, instead of letting a guy just get pummeled into the ropes, or knocked down over and over again in boxing.

Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    If you want to be classy you can't be a fighter. There is nothing "classy" about beating the fuck out of someone. Some of the most innocent looking hits end up doing severe damage sometimes. And some of the most brutal looking hits do nothing.
    Yes you can... There are countless fighters who have class (Couture, Severn, Smith, St. Pierre, Shamrockx2, any Gracie, etc.). MMA is an art and/or a sport. It's much more technical than you think... More technical than football or baseball. There are always guys who want to be "bad boys" and since you don't know anything about martial arts, that's all you see in the news.
    Quote Originally Posted by Okard View Post
    they took out chill of the throne, if you havent looked. Youre going to do 30% less than youre used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    Back in the day most fighters weren't there because they volunteerd.
    These days it most likely brings in quite a nice sum of money and if you don't have any other skills it looks like something people would do.
    For most it's either burger flipping or trying to act all manly and badass .
    It actually doesn't bring in much money unless you're Conor McGregor, Brock Lesnar, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey, Holly Holm, or Miesha Tate. And all those people I just named? Half of them make a lot less in one year than any third string professional NBA or NFL athlete. Ronda's first UFC opponent only made $10k per fight (even though it was a title fight), and keep in mind a fighter will typically compete only three or four times per year. Oh, and in every UFC contract there's a clause where you give the UFC complete and total rights to your likeness for all of eternity, so if you ever want to print shirts or allow a game to use your likeness, even if you're not in UFC anymore, they won't let you. UFC is pretty scummy to their fighters, but most of them don't fight back because they're passionate about fighting. If it was about the money, all of them would be doing "real" sports instead (if they had the talent for it).

Quote Originally Posted by Leetbeartank View Post
    Yes you can... There are countless fighters who have class (Couture, Severn, Smith, St. Pierre, Shamrockx2, any Gracie, etc.). MMA is an art and/or a sport. It's much more technical than you think... More technical than football or baseball. There are always guys who want to be "bad boys" and since you don't know anything about martial arts, that's all you see in the news.
    I don't know if I'd agree about ANY Gracie. Rickson did try to throw a guy onto the judges' table...

Quote Originally Posted by Truhan View Post
    If it was about the money, all of them would be doing "real" sports instead (if they had the talent for it).
    So basically they just got their head hit too many times to think this was a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Truhan View Post
    It actually doesn't bring in much money unless you're Conor McGregor, Brock Lesnar, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey, Holly Holm, or Miesha Tate. And all those people I just named? Half of them make a lot less in one year than any third string professional NBA or NFL athlete. Ronda's first UFC opponent only made $10k per fight (even though it was a title fight), and keep in mind a fighter will typically compete only three or four times per year. Oh, and in every UFC contract there's a clause where you give the UFC complete and total rights to your likeness for all of eternity, so if you ever want to print shirts or allow a game to use your likeness, even if you're not in UFC anymore, they won't let you. UFC is pretty scummy to their fighters, but most of them don't fight back because they're passionate about fighting. If it was about the money, all of them would be doing "real" sports instead (if they had the talent for it).
    Fighters really, really need to unionize in some meaningful way. The worst thing that's happened to fighters under the UFC recently has been the Reebok deal.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    The main cause of that, ironically, is less protection. You're more likely to go down and out, earlier in a fight, and sustain less damage over the course of a fight. Fighters also have the benefit of referees being ready to call TKOs at the moment someone's not able to adequately defend themselves, instead of letting a guy just get pummeled into the ropes, or knocked down over and over again in boxing.
    All of this, coupled with the ground game and submissions being a big aspect of the sport, which allows a fight to end without serious injury.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leetbeartank View Post
    I'm a huge fan of mma. Stop making assumptions.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

15+ Year Old Account
    That looked painful as fuck.

Deleted
    Retired pro-MMA fighter here, as a women's strawweight. I've played other sports, but to be honest, I'm not so good at the more technical and finesse aspects of sports. I played football as a receiver, returner and sometimes defensive back, but I was always an arm/chest catcher. I'm terrible at baseball and soccer. Some people really excel at the violent aspects of some sports, and excel at the violence in purely violent sports. I was a Judo player before I was in MMA. A lot of people are high school and college wrestlers. A lot have played muay thai or kyokushin.

- - - Updated - - -

There's some evidence that rather than knockout events doing the damage the stuff that you can stand through in boxing has a greater cumulative effect. Getting sparked and passing out is a survival trait after all . However being jabbed in the face by a big padded clown glove and having your brain bounce around in its cage isn't probably that healthy. It's a shit load of fun though!

Deleted
    Yes that kind of shit is what pushes me away from mma. Especially coming from amateur boxing, where you never do shit like this.

I was looking at the one guy and I thought, look at those skinny legs. Apparently it didn't stop him from kneeing in his oppenents skull.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    Nonsense. Being respectful of your opponent is the first thing you learn in boxing.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Yes definitely. In boxing you fight more and for longer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    It's good that it's less restricted than other sports but blows like these to the head are seriously dangerous...
    I agree, it is dangerous. But we can't bubblewrap everything, and no one forces any of the participants to fight.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smashorc View Post
    There's some evidence that rather than knockout events doing the damage the stuff that you can stand through in boxing has a greater cumulative effect. Getting sparked and passing out is a survival trait after all . However being jabbed in the face by a big padded clown glove and having your brain bounce around in its cage isn't probably that healthy. It's a shit load of fun though!
    I mean, 12 rounds getting jabbed around by Vitali Klitschko pay an heavy price on your sanity.

15+ Year Old Account
    Fighters really, really need to unionize in some meaningful way. The worst thing that's happened to fighters under the UFC recently has been the Reebok deal.
    That's why the president of UFC is talking in the GOP convention....

...or maybe it's Trump's and UFC's joint operation to begin the Hunger Games once Trump becomes the president.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.