Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

main as a healer, how will it affect my artifact?

hey,

sorry if this has been ask before but old threads might contain old information.

i am currently trying to decide on what char to play as my main in legion.
    leaning towards healer but the whole artifact thing makes me wonder: if i quest/level to 110 as dps spec, what will it do to my heal specc and its artifact? respectively, if i play most of the time as heal spec once i hit 110, will my dps spec suffer a huge amount?

could someone summarize the current mechanics when it comes to leveling and artifacts or link to a page that explains this?

thanks

Deleted
    Was wondering the same thing and from what I've read from people with experience on the beta it is best to just level as DPS including your DPS artifact, at least up to the 13th trait point. After that, the 14th trait points takes more AP than all previous 13 combined.

Depending on your leveling speed, choice of quests and artifact knowledge progress, starting your healing artifact from scratch at max level should catch you up pretty fast.

Besides, you are going to need a DPS at max level anyway for solo content, so getting your DPS artifact up to 13 (first?) is definitely not wasted, even if you plan to main healing!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gbtg View Post
    hey,

sorry if this has been ask before but old threads might contain old information.

leaning towards healer but the whole artifact thing makes me wonder: if i quest/level to 110 as dps spec, what will it do to my heal specc and its artifact? respectively, if i play most of the time as heal spec once i hit 110, will my dps spec suffer a huge amount?

could someone summarize the current mechanics when it comes to leveling and artifacts or link to a page that explains this?

thanks
    My guild has at least one healer who's planning on doing the fallowing to not lose any AP on his healing artifact hes starting off with getting his healing artifact and questing to 102 while using any AP bonus item on the healing artifact then at 102 hes getting his DPS artifact and going to a dps spec to lvl to 110 how ever when ever he gets an item that gives bonus AP hes swapping back to the healing spec to use it.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

Deleted
    hey,

thanks
    Priest? If so, you'll quest faster in disc spec anyway, no point going dps and wasting AP for shadow.

Deleted
    nah, druid.

how do i actually require and spend those artifact power things during questing? can i quest as balance while using the AP i gain on my resto arti?

They made leveling as a healer very viable in legion from what I've seen so far. I know that disc priests and holy paladins can level almost just as fast as their dps specs when questing and will also obviously get dungeon queues much faster. Haven't tested resto druid/shaman or mist monk yet, but I'm assuming that questing with them is at least much faster than it is on live.

Most the AP gains from questing are from dropped items that you can save up and use with whichever spec you want.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    Priest? If so, you'll quest faster in disc spec anyway, no point going dps and wasting AP for shadow.
    disc is a clusterfck tho.

i will just lvl as healer, like i always do.

Formerly known as Arafal

nah, druid.

how do i actually require and spend those artifact power things during questing? can i quest as balance while using the AP i gain on my resto arti?
    as you level you get items that allow you to put points into a artifact, so you can get these items, then switch to resto, and use the items on it, so leveling will be slower, even if you go dps, as you wont have your artifact traits well dpsing...

so i would reccomend leveling with a dps guildy, and sticking to heal spec, but dps mostly well leveling will be much easier

nah, druid.

Some source of AP are applied immediately, some are inventory items.
    The inventory consumables are applied to your current artifact, and so you can switch to the desired target beforehand.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

I don't have a ton of experience leveling healers on Beta, but I'll say this: I've tried both Priest healing specs and Holy Paladins and they level *easier* than the respective DPS specs. Maybe not faster, but way, way easier.

The simplest leveling in Legion is accompanied by self healing. Either constant self healing (like say, an Aff Warlock or a Blood DK), or really spikey self healing (like any healing spec).

Deleted
    another question: how important is progressing through the storyline / finishing most quests in legion?

another question: how important is progressing through the storyline / finishing most quests in legion?
    I think you have to be friendly with each leveling zone's rep in order to unlock world quests, and one of the main questlines requires you to complete Val'Sharah.

I want to add that I initially leveled as resto shaman and MW monk and it felt sluggish, especially after switching to DPS and seeing the difference in speed. This was early beta however, and they may have tweaked it more since then.
    Last edited by setheral; 2016-07-18 at 12:37 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    You have to do the full storyline in each zone to get the pillars of creation from each zone in order to progress on something I cant remember what though.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    The inventory consumables are applied to your current artifact, and so you can switch to the desired target beforehand.
    That shouldn't deter anyone, though. There are very few of the "applies automatically to current equipped weapon" kind, just one or two quest rewards if I remember correctly. For those, the quest will tell you beforehand and you can just switch specs before turning it in. The rest are all consumables that you can hold until you get a minute to change specs and apply them.

From what I gather, there were quite a few more of the applies automatically to current equipped weapon kind in alpha, but they have changed nearly all of those to the consumable variety.

nah, druid.
    Just level as resto, take the Balance Affinity talent and you gain access to a Moonkin-lite form with a considerable array of dps abilities.

unless leveling is the only thing you want to do, it wont matter what you level up as.

lvl as a dps spec and level your dps weapon too, when you reach 110 you will have between 11-13 articaft traits leveled. Put your dps weapon in lvl 13 (after this the cost is very high) to help to do world quests and suramar quests (and class scenarios to unlock third articaft too). Than start to level your healer weapon, heroics and very easy and mythics tooand you will be fine when raids open

- - - Updated - - -

mandatory to unlock fly after (and 20% speed bonus on broken isles on launch)

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    There are no more immediate applied AP gains. It is all consumable items.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Deleted
    alrighty guys, thanks

You don't need a single trait to effectively solo content as a DPS. I took a DPS artifact at 100, leveled to 102 (1 zone - 30 mins to an hour) then got my second artifact (healer). Any artifact power (all seem to be on-use items) I saved in my bags until 102, and used it all on the healer artifact. Healer DPS is allot better, and they claim that leveling speed shouldn't be all that different, but that's complete and utter BS. Do not level as a healer, your just wasting your own time in doing so. Do not waste artifact power on a DPS weapon if your maining a healer.

I've leveled multiple ways, above is the best IMO so far