Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How do Mythic+ dungeons work?

Sorry for the basic questions, but as someone that didn't play a lot of WoD, the entire concept of Mythic (+) dungeons is new, and since that is the feature I'm most interested in for Legion, I was curious.
    So I understand that in WoD, they behaved mostly like regular dungeons, but with a weekly lockout.
    In Legion, I know that if you complete say, Mythic 0, you get a keystone for Mythic 1. Do you need a keystone to begin this cycle? If so, how do you get it?
    And lets say you failed on Mythic 3. That keystone is "depleted" - can it be regenerated somehow? Can you still run the dungeon to practice at that same level?
    Basically I'm wondering what happens if you have a group of 5 players that just want to run Mythic+ dungeons - can they get roadblocked on the first dungeon of the week and have no way to progress? As a raider, one of the pillars (besides limited attempts / timed bosses) is the ability to refine tactics on the same encounter - is that mirrored somehow in Mythic+ dungeons?
    Also, how is loot handled? Do you get something for each run? A weekly reward? Both?

Quote Originally Posted by fallenangel-succ View Post
    Sorry for the basic questions, but as someone that didn't play a lot of WoD, the entire concept of Mythic (+) dungeons is new, and since that is the feature I'm most interested in for Legion, I was curious.
    So I understand that in WoD, they behaved mostly like regular dungeons, but with a weekly lockout.
    In Legion, I know that if you complete say, Mythic 0, you get a keystone for Mythic 1. Do you need a keystone to begin this cycle? If so, how do you get it?
    And lets say you failed on Mythic 3. That keystone is "depleted" - can it be regenerated somehow? Can you still run the dungeon to practice at that same level?
    Basically I'm wondering what happens if you have a group of 5 players that just want to run Mythic+ dungeons - can they get roadblocked on the first dungeon of the week and have no way to progress? As a raider, one of the pillars (besides limited attempts / timed bosses) is the ability to refine tactics on the same encounter - is that mirrored somehow in Mythic+ dungeons?
    Also, how is loot handled? Do you get something for each run? A weekly reward? Both?
    Regular Mythic dungeons function like heroic dungeons but on a weekly loot lockout. You can do each dungeon on Mythic once a week for loot. There is no timer or anything, just a harder version of a heroic dungeon. Upon completing your first Mythic dungeon of the week, you will receive a Keystone that says the name of one of the dungeons and Level 2 on it (Level 1 is just regular mythic). So you go to that dungeon and instead of just killing shit you put your keystone in the little pedestal at the entrance and it adds damage and hp to the mobs inside the instance, as well as putting you on a timer. If you complete the dungeon within the timer, your keystone will be upgraded to Level 3, 4, or 5, depending on how fast you completed it, and it will point to a different dungeon (though its possible it could be the same dungeon, its totally random it seems). You get a loot chest containing one item of loot per person from the dungeon, and for each extra upgrade on your keystone, you get an extra loot chest (so if you went really fast and upgraded from 2 to 5 you'd get 3 loot chests, each containing loot from a specific level, so one with Level 2 loot, one with Level 3 loot, and one with Level 4 loot). Currently each Mythic level slightly upgrades the gear it drops. At Level 4, you get an affix on your keystone. This gives the mobs in the instance abilities like enraging at low hp, buffing mobs around them on death, dropping damage pools on the ground on death, spawning shit under casters in your group, debuffing incoming healing on the tank, healing absorbs for overhealing, etc. Level 7 adds a second affix to the keystone. These affixes are the same for everyone each week, so everyone will get Raging at 4 and Teeming at 7 or something. At Level 10 you get a third affix that's either Fortified (Trash mobs have a LOT more hp and damage) or Tyrannical (Boss mobs have a LOT more hp and damage). This is a pretty huge jump in difficulty to expect to get stuck here. This is also where gear begins to match Mythic raid gear in ilvl. When you fail the timer but still complete the dungeon, you get 1 chest of loot, but your keystone becomes depleted and doesn't upgrade to a new level/give you a new dungeon. You have to rerun the same dungeon within the timer for no loot to upgrade it again, for a max of a 1 level upgrade. Then you get a new dungeon/level and can go again as normal. You can rerun the same failed dungeon as many times as you like to try and upgrade, but you won't receive loot for it. Hope that helps.

On Tuesday you'll receive a chest in your order hall with a piece of gear from any Mythic+ dungeon, who's ilvl is based on the highest completed level the week previous. This ilvl scales slightly faster than the loot chests from dungeon (Mythic raid gear from 10 or 11 iirc, whereas the end of dungeon loot chests match Mythic raid gear around 13(?)). This chest also contains a new keystone for the week that's level is a fraction (around 2/3) of the highest you completed the previous week. You can still run regular mythic dungeons for their weekly loot but you'll only get that one keystone from your chest.
    Last edited by Saiyoran; 2016-07-16 at 10:26 PM.

So the old keystone is removed at the end of the week, correct? Will we ever have more than a single keystone at a time?

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Yes
    2. No

Quote Originally Posted by Saiyoran View Post
    snip
    Thank you for this awesome reply, it was everything I needed to know. This sounds like a great system.

Deleted
    What about loot from the bosses in mythic+ dungeons?

Do bosses drop loot on level 1 (without a keystone)?

Do bosses still drop loot on level > 1 (with keystone) or is the only source of loot the chest at the end?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohai View Post
    What about loot from the bosses in mythic+ dungeons?

Do bosses drop loot on level 1 (without a keystone)?

Do bosses still drop loot on level > 1 (with keystone) or is the only source of loot the chest at the end?
    Yes, bosses drop loot once per week on level 1 without a keystone. Its a normal mythic dungeon.

No bosses don't drop loot on level>1. Only the chest at the end.

Deleted
    There is no mythic +0, they start at +1. +1 can be done weekly exactly like current mythic. +2 and up can be done whenever assuming a stone is around.

Deleted
    One more question.

Say a group of 5, each have one keystone. To start a mythic+2 only one has to use his keystone, right? So let's say one guy from the group uses his keystone and they clear the mythic+2 dungeon and everyone gets a chest. If now the next guy uses his keystone to open another mythic+2 dungeon does everyone get a new reward chest at the end?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohai View Post
    One more question.

Say a group of 5, each have one keystone. To start a mythic+2 only one has to use his keystone, right? So let's say one guy from the group uses his keystone and they clear the mythic+2 dungeon and everyone gets a chest. If now the next guy uses his keystone to open another mythic+2 dungeon does everyone get a new reward chest at the end?
    Yes 10chars

Deleted
    Regular Mythic dungeons function like heroic dungeons but on a weekly loot lockout. You can do each dungeon on Mythic once a week for loot. There is no timer or anything, just a harder version of a heroic dungeon. Upon completing your first Mythic dungeon of the week, you will receive a Keystone that says the name of one of the dungeons and Level 2 on it (Level 1 is just regular mythic). So you go to that dungeon and instead of just killing shit you put your keystone in the little pedestal at the entrance and it adds damage and hp to the mobs inside the instance, as well as putting you on a timer. If you complete the dungeon within the timer, your keystone will be upgraded to Level 3, 4, or 5, depending on how fast you completed it, and it will point to a different dungeon (though its possible it could be the same dungeon, its totally random it seems). You get a loot chest containing one item of loot per person from the dungeon, and for each extra upgrade on your keystone, you get an extra loot chest (so if you went really fast and upgraded from 2 to 5 you'd get 3 loot chests, each containing loot from a specific level, so one with Level 2 loot, one with Level 3 loot, and one with Level 4 loot). Currently each Mythic level slightly upgrades the gear it drops. At Level 4, you get an affix on your keystone. This gives the mobs in the instance abilities like enraging at low hp, buffing mobs around them on death, dropping damage pools on the ground on death, spawning shit under casters in your group, debuffing incoming healing on the tank, healing absorbs for overhealing, etc. Level 7 adds a second affix to the keystone. These affixes are the same for everyone each week, so everyone will get Raging at 4 and Teeming at 7 or something. At Level 10 you get a third affix that's either Fortified (Trash mobs have a LOT more hp and damage) or Tyrannical (Boss mobs have a LOT more hp and damage). This is a pretty huge jump in difficulty to expect to get stuck here. This is also where gear begins to match Mythic raid gear in ilvl. When you fail the timer but still complete the dungeon, you get 1 chest of loot, but your keystone becomes depleted and doesn't upgrade to a new level/give you a new dungeon. You have to rerun the same dungeon within the timer for no loot to upgrade it again, for a max of a 1 level upgrade. Then you get a new dungeon/level and can go again as normal. You can rerun the same failed dungeon as many times as you like to try and upgrade, but you won't receive loot for it. Hope that helps.

On Tuesday you'll receive a chest in your order hall with a piece of gear from any Mythic+ dungeon, who's ilvl is based on the highest completed level the week previous. This ilvl scales slightly faster than the loot chests from dungeon (Mythic raid gear from 10 or 11 iirc, whereas the end of dungeon loot chests match Mythic raid gear around 13(?)). This chest also contains a new keystone for the week that's level is a fraction (around 2/3) of the highest you completed the previous week. You can still run regular mythic dungeons for their weekly loot but you'll only get that one keystone from your chest.
    Good post, although the loot scaling is not what i Found. Based on youtube videos/talking with a few guys who did 12+ it seems that its about 5 ilvl every 2 lvl (so 845 is 2+ and 865 is 10+ and 12+ was 870). This means that it Will be difficult to obtain mythic raid gear from Dungeons. I hope you are right though, as 13+ Would be more fun than 16 +

Mythic Dungeon Night has become a staple for my guild to farm ring valor, heirloom trinkets, and even the occasional gear upgrade. We thought about moving on to Challenge Modes, but no one was really interested in those transmog pieces. Very excited that they are adding all these new mythic+ challenges for Legion!

Just as a 10-man raid becomes more close-knit than a 25-man, a 5-man team gets even tighter. Now we get to see how far we can take it.
    Last edited by Felfaadaern Darkterror; 2016-07-18 at 08:58 AM. Reason: clarification

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

I have a question about the keystone you receive from the cache!

Example: i clear mythic 8 this week and fail to do 9. I will probably receive a mythic 6 keystone from the cache correct? Can't we just do another mythic dungeon to receive a clear key to grab loot from the others 5 level? Because if not i will lose loot from the others 5 level.

Deleted
    I believe that when you clear Mythic+ Dungeon on higher level then with your loot rewards you will get items that you would get from lower level as well. I am not sure I seen this posted but i think it was blue post explaining how it works. This way you are not forced to run every single level of Mythic Dungeon to get most items and possible chance of an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Aladya View Post
    Yes 10chars
    it may be right for beta but it's impossible to be true for live because it will forse ppl to run 24/7 lvl5 carrying noobs with keys. if you can do 300runs m+2 and every time receive loot then why exists weekly cooldown on m+0? nobody knows what exact system it will be but it's 100% that it will not be 24/7 farm without any cooldowns. even heroics have daily cooldowns if you dont use lfg random dungeon system.

we can be sure in one thing. it will be wery bad system because it depens on PERSONAL keys. it was on 1st or 2nd iteration of greater rift keys in diablo and we all remember that it was absolute garabage system and they change it for diablo but then again try to implement this garbage version to wow instead of take good current diablo version.
    Last edited by ztn; 2016-07-18 at 09:20 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ztn View Post
    it may be right for beta but it's impossible to be true for live because it will forse ppl to run 24/7 lvl5 carrying noobs with keys..
    Yeah I kinda have the exact same concern. It was the first thing that crossed my mind when I first did a +mythic. But I'm not convinced it won't be true for live.

Quote Originally Posted by ztn View Post
    it may be right for beta but it's impossible to be true for live because it will forse ppl to run 24/7 lvl5 carrying noobs with keys.
    You only start to get 865 ilvl baseline gear (heroic raid equivaltent) at +10, which is nearly impossible to boost without exceptional gear. You unlikely to have it at the start of the expansion. +2 only rewards 845-850 baseline (normal raid or lower), so you need to be very lucky to get upgrades from that. Besides, there wont be enough keystones around to do that, not even counting mythic raid progression which starts at the same time.

Later in the expansion those runs will be a great way to gear up fresh character or alt since heroic raid geared group will have almost no upgrades in those low level mythic+ and they can funnel most of the loot to the boostie.

If you loot-lock people on certain level of mythic+ every week or only give loot to the person who provided the keystone, you are going to discourage good-geared people from helping low geared ones. I think blizzard wants exactly the opposite.

One interesting thing of note: The weekly chest's ilvl is higher than the ilvl of gear from that level of Mythic. For example, Mythic 10 is 870 baseline from the chest at the end of an instance, but the weekly chest that awards you one piece of level 10 gear is 880 baseline. So basically once a week you get a super good piece.

Deleted
    One interesting thing of note: The weekly chest's ilvl is higher than the ilvl of gear from that level of Mythic. For example, Mythic 10 is 870 baseline from the chest at the end of an instance, but the weekly chest that awards you one piece of level 10 gear is 880 baseline. So basically once a week you get a super good piece.
    Do you have a source for this/pictures u could share?

No pictures at the moment, but I looted an 880 neck this week from my cache that simply said Mythic 10 (no warforged), and that's not what you get out of an end of dungeon chest for level 10.