Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Fucking hell! You could hear the crunch! Epic knee and even better victory dance

Quote Originally Posted by Gracin View Post
    Just curious Poly, but what was your final record when you gave up fighting?
    im pretty sure even the most casual of fans get to learn how the injuries sustain are handled by watching what is a sport promoted to be watched.
    get a new trick to try and undermine another person's point, this one is both creative and ineffective.
    we are his...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzPuK1vib_c

Quote Originally Posted by Barael View Post
    This is like creationists trying to smear evolution by calling it a religion.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adarian View Post
    im pretty sure even the most casual of fans get to learn how the injuries sustain are handled by watching what is a sport promoted to be watched.
    get a new trick to try and undermine another person's point, this one is both creative and ineffective.
    WTF are you on about? I've been agreeing with Poly since the start. She said she was a former pro-mma fighter, and I was curious how well she did while fighting.

WTF are you on about? I've been agreeing with Poly since the start. She said she was a former pro-mma fighter, and I was curious how well she did while fighting.
    oh, i thought you were being sarcastic and calling polyxo's opinion into question by that tired old "if you weren't apart of it you don't know" attempting to devalue that persons point by calling into question the validity of their information.

sorry for attacking you, and i do agree with polyxo's statements.
    Last edited by Adarian; 2016-07-18 at 02:17 AM.
    we are his...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzPuK1vib_c

Quote Originally Posted by Barael View Post
    This is like creationists trying to smear evolution by calling it a religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    For most it's either burger flipping or trying to act all manly and badass .
    Spoken like a true keyboard warrior.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I feel bad for all those 'protesters' at the Trump rally, it's like the real life equivalent of making a 40 man raid in WoW and not having the boss spawn, thereby denying them a chance at looting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That's a nonsense argument that ignores what words mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Athletic commissions governing MMA events issue things called medical suspensions. When a player sustains a head injury, or even sustains a number of head hits without any obvious injury, they're banned from physical activity for months at a time. Even fighters who go through fights pretty much unscathed usually get a 14-21 day suspension where they're not to participate in any activity with contact.

It would be equivalent to every player who gets rocked on a play in the NFL being out for a few games to an entire season.
    Ditto...

I've fought twice in amateur bar-room style sanctioned events in NC. Both fights regardless of what went down in the fight resulted in full physicals, then being informed I'm not allowed in the next weeks fights, I have to wait until 2 weekends later.

Boxing and MMA take injury's very seriously. The NFL on the other hand would rather keep money rolling in with big name players on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    Ditto...

I've fought twice in amateur bar-room style sanctioned events in NC. Both fights regardless of what went down in the fight resulted in full physicals, then being informed I'm not allowed in the next weeks fights, I have to wait until 2 weekends later.

Boxing and MMA take injury's very seriously. The NFL on the other hand would rather keep money rolling in with big name players on the field.
    There is actual sanctioned bar room type fighting, or cage fighting as you said earlier? Who is responsible for this sanctioning, and to what authority and commison (state or otherwise)?

I never knew there was such a thing. I would like to learn more.

Just curious Poly, but what was your final record when you gave up fighting?
    In pro-MMA, 8-0-1. Now, you have to consider that early fights were in low level competitions, and the later ones were medium level competitions. I don't think I really faced anyone that was anything of a match for me in terms of athleticism, because women's MMA is still woefully thin on talent. I would say that two of my wins were against women who had no business fighting anyone at all, and I think their coach was a complete idiot and asshole for putting that fighter into a fight with really anyone, because they were unprepared. There's unfortunately a LOT of this going around, and even some now really skilled competitors have been thrown into matches they really were not prepared by coaches who seem to be very irresponsible with their fighters (I'd like to point out that I always had really great coaches, who took my health and preparedness very seriously).

My last fight was a no-contest. I had pinned this tall skinny girl against the cage and was trying to get a single leg on her. I got impatient, and swapped to a harai. She was so much taller than me that she was able to kind of rotate her hips out of the way so she was kind of pulled perpendicular across my back and missed my leg entirely. Muscled through the throw and pulled her down, and like, got her upper torso underneath me, and posted out with my right leg to try and go knee on stomach to swap to something more secure. Her lower body like basically flopped down on my extended leg, and my knee basically bend inside, and the fight was over then and there. Had surgery, and reinjured/aggravated my knee in training 3 more times, and it got to the point where I couldn't train with the frequency of a dedicated professional and not have it deteriorate. Taught for another 8 months after my retirement, and went back to school.

My record is really good, but you have to consider that women's MMA is very thin on talent due to participation rates, and that my progress, while steady, and good, only made it up to mid-level promotions before I retired. I'd like to think that I could have been a really good contender at the UFC and Bellator level, because I've worked and trained with a number of really good competitors from ATT Florida and Bomb Squad. However, I think a lot of fighters honestly believe that, and it just stems from competitiveness. Sometime, now that fights will be sanctioned in New York State, I'd like to arrange to fight again, but I'd really like to only find an appropriate opponent. I don't want to light up some novice that's been training for 8 months, and she's the better of the two girls at her gym. I also don't want to be unprepared to deal with someone with the conditioning of a really good fighter, and be unable to keep pace and deliver a good match. Ideally, I'd like to find another retired professional that wants to just have a fun exhibition.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    There is actual sanctioned bar room type fighting, or cage fighting as you said earlier? Who is responsible for this sanctioning, and to what authority and commison (state or otherwise)?

I never knew there was such a thing. I would like to learn more.
    I've never participated in a more 'informal' event or tourney like that before, but I would imagine if it's sanctioned, it's by a state athletic commission. Generally all combat sports are governed by the same body. I've participated in Sambo and submission grappling tourneys that were all dealt with through the same state AC as MMA.
    Last edited by Polyxo; 2016-07-18 at 02:52 AM.

Deleted
    @Polyxo
    Im sorry to hear your retirement was related to your injury. I hope you coped with the aftermath. *hug*
    A few friends turned pro, and some of them had to retire early. Not all of them managed well.

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    @Polyxo
    Im sorry to hear your retirement was related to your injury. I hope you coped with the aftermath. *hug*
    A few friends turned pro, and some of them had to retire early. Not all of them managed well.
    It didn't cause me to like fly off the handle or anything, but it has kind of permanently 'unsettled' me. I suppose it helped that it wasn't some sudden, catastrophic injury where I was just 'out' immediately. I was basically in camp for two (and kind of a half) other fights after my last fight where I had reinjuries/aggrivations. I really felt like I fit in perfectly with it. Loved fighting, was comfortable teaching. Loved the routine and lifestyle of it, loved the people I worked with. There isn't really anything bad about anything I'm doing now...but I don't really feel like I fit in with my career now like I did before.

While it's not a fair trade, it has allowed me the opportunity to play some other sports I hadn't tried before. I taught myself and play ice hockey. I've gotten into olympic weightlifting. I may play rugby again, even though that's how I tore my ACL the first time.

Deleted
    It didn't cause me to like fly off the handle or anything, but it has kind of permanently 'unsettled' me. I suppose it helped that it wasn't some sudden, catastrophic injury where I was just 'out' immediately. I was basically in camp for two (and kind of a half) other fights after my last fight where I had reinjuries/aggrivations. I really felt like I fit in perfectly with it. Loved fighting, was comfortable teaching. Loved the routine and lifestyle of it, loved the people I worked with. There isn't really anything bad about anything I'm doing now...but I don't really feel like I fit in with my career now like I did before.

While it's not a fair trade, it has allowed me the opportunity to play some other sports I hadn't tried before. I taught myself and play ice hockey. I've gotten into olympic weightlifting. I may play rugby again, even though that's how I tore my ACL the first time.

Happy to hear that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hana Song View Post
    Why do people do this for sports? Do they enjoy causing eachother pain or possibly death? Go play baseball or football or soccer if you want to compete in sports, not a sport where you beat the other to almost death
    You need to realize that we didnt really got over fight to the death in colloseum thing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    You need to realize that we didnt really got over fight to the death in colloseum thing.
    Are you not into those sports?

Deleted
    Are you not into those sports?
    Nah... real life sports dont have this awesome over the top spirit vs spirit clash. I preffer anime sport like Hajime no Ippo.

Deleted
    Nah... real life sports dont have this awesome over the top spirit vs spirit clash. I preffer anime sport like Hajime no Ippo.
    What does that mean in English?

Deleted
    What does that mean in English?
    First step.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know it was brutal but it IS an MMA fight. Its always brutal..

Deleted
    First step.
    Oh THAT clears things.

I don't think it's necessarily all that scandalous to acknowledge that we enjoy the violence to a certain degree. We all play violent video games here. There's a thrill in some of the violence in them. The thrill is significantly more visceral and intense in a real fight. There's a competitive aspect, it sates some aggression, and there's a lot of fun in marveling in your own physical 'power' when things go right.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that when there's two people doing it that enjoy it, are trained professionals who know what they're doing, are properly trained, and have the right support from coaches and staff to make sure any injuries get dealt with accordingly.

Deleted
    I don't think it's necessarily all that scandalous to acknowledge that we enjoy the violence to a certain degree. We all play violent video games here. There's a thrill in some of the violence in them. The thrill is significantly more visceral and intense in a real fight. There's a competitive aspect, it sates some aggression, and there's a lot of fun in marveling in your own physical 'power' when things go right.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that when there's two people doing it that enjoy it, are trained professionals who know what they're doing, are properly trained, and have the right support from coaches and staff to make sure any injuries get dealt with accordingly.
    Couldn't have put it better.
    Especially the point you raised about sating your aggression.
    Plus, that instinctive feeling you get when the fight starts. Those 15 seconds before you get the first dig and you start smoothing up. That moment is unique. You get the "performing anxiety" together with "self preservation" instinct and you're literally a superhuman