Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    The fact that you'd have to a own a large town/large plot of land to build a town on for that to work fluidly with would probably put off devs more than anything (maybe Disney could do something with their parks). Not to mention the awkward factor people would be considering, there's a big difference between larping with VR/AR helmets and swinging imaginery weapons/slinging imaginary spells and tapping on a phone in different places to catch a pokemon. Also AR is unlikely to be the future of gaming, it'll likely be a revisited gimmick every time someone has a cool idea that would work well with it but nothing really major like Modern Warfare Zone or something. I mean AR tech has been properly around since the PS3 with THE EYE OF JUDGMENT™ game and nobody has really done much more than that and using AR cards.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

10+ Year Old Account
    Dennou Coil! Glasses for AR land.

I doubt AR is going to take over gaming, it's going to be another addition which is a good thing imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Watain View Post
    The game is still on launch and tons of features will come soon. I would not say Tomagochi was a fad- games similar to it are still highly popular, its just that people switch from such devices to their smartphones.
    I think they missed a trick not having more of these features I keep hearing about in at launch. I feel like by the time they get them all in, the general buzz will have waned. Most explosive crazes like this don't last longer than 2-3 weeks and if people have moved on to something else by then, the update won't draw them back unless it's well marketed.

If you could PVP battle each other and trade, and the battles were more involved and there was some kind of greater progression to the game, I think it'd have a bit more longevity but I think the way it is right now the majority of players won't stick it out for that long once they get over the gimmick of it.

And, yeah, I'm sure there's still a market out there for virtual pet apps like Tamagotchi but it's hardly the global craze it was when it first exploded. I feel like Pokemon Go will head the same way - massive craze for a few weeks, but in a few months time it'll be the kind of thing that has a constant loyal following but it won't be the future of gaming or anything like that

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    I think it's a fad that will burn out as quickly as it came.
    I can literally pull up early game reviews of World Of Warcraft saying the say exact thing you just said.

I think AR has very specific uses where it's really cool, and Pokemon Go happened to hit the nail on the head for exactly the kind of game it's good at.

Way down the line, though, I expect at least someone to try a big-budget VR MMORPG. I mean, c'mon, it's been a fantasy trope in movies, books and cartoons for ages, the idea of technology trying to replicate a fantasy world that you can literally immerse yourself in. AR...I'm not holding out too much hope on that one, it's a stretch. Pokemon is more accessible and wide-appeal, and if it weren't for the Pokemon brand the game itself would have died at launch. Pokemon has a true Midas Touch to the point where even their spinoff games are top sellers.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Dennou Coil! Glasses for AR land.

I doubt AR is going to take over gaming, it's going to be another addition which is a good thing imo.
    But I think there is no DOUBT AR is the future, think of a COP pulling people over and camera over the vehicle and camera over the driver, BOOM his glasses has complete owner and vehicle history, think of a freshmen in college first day he is lost turn on his app and he gets a route mapped out of what class to go to and when and where, teachers email and all their classes, I call this technology Enhanced reality or assisted reality, because our brains will need help processing the more technological world and this new tool, new tech will just enhance and make us smarter and more efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by nogard64 View Post
    I can literally pull up early game reviews of World Of Warcraft saying the say exact thing you just said.
    So? Want me to list all the things that were called fads and turned out to be exactly that? I have a feeling my list will be longer.

I don't care either way, just calling it as I see it.

I don't think so and I don't hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    So? Want me to list all the things that were called fads and turned out to be exactly that? I have a feeling my list will be longer.

I don't care either way, just calling it as I see it.
    I hope you aren't talking about things like DVD players, CD music, Facebook, the internet, cellular phones, Netflix, because the tech Pokemon go is using is that Revolutionary, Its not just augmented reality, I called it Enhanced reality or assisted reality, the world will be changed and seen FOREVER through APPS and google glass devices. Imagine taking your kids to the gym and in their glasses when they look at a LION it will have the lion's name, lions birthday, lions age, and diet all right there. I really think you are short sighted to call this a fad.

Honestly I see that 3D TVs was a fad, old school virtual Reality is a fad, pet rocks, but Pokemon Go is a whole other animal.

Nope. I think most people will end up turning it off, if they haven't done so already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Nope. I think most people will end up turning it off, if they haven't done so already.
    Yeah, I mean, personally I actually turned the AR part of Pokemon Go off after the first hour, because the game is much easier and less annoying without it :P

It was a fun gimmick for the first time or two - "Oh look there's a pokemon on my desk, lol!" but then when you realise how basic it is and what a muppet you look standing around aiming your camera at imaginary beasties...

Personally I find the GPS/Maps aspect of it more interesting than the AR camera stuff.

AR tech in general has its uses, sure, but Pokemon Go isn't some big turning point to the future of gaming I think

If Pokémon Go didn't have the dumbest battling of all time then I wouldn't shit talk it so much. It's like everyone and their mother thinks they are fucking poke-masters now ,but I bet half of them couldn't tell you all the types or properly EV train. It's Pokémon's retarded cousin that all the girl's really like at parties cuz he has a monster dong.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope you aren't talking about things like DVD players, CD music, Facebook, the internet, cellular phones, Netflix, because the tech Pokemon go is using is that Revolutionary, Its not just augmented reality, I called it Enhanced reality or assisted reality, the world will be changed and seen FOREVER through APPS and google glass devices. Imagine taking your kids to the gym and in their glasses when they look at a LION it will have the lion's name, lions birthday, lions age, and diet all right there. I really think you are short sighted to call this a fad.

Honestly I see that 3D TVs was a fad, old school virtual Reality is a fad, pet rocks, but Pokemon Go is a whole other animal.
    Why the hell are there lions at your gym lol :P ?

I wonder how many of the gaming population are actually fit and/or healthy enough to do the action part that is described in the first post. I much rather my gaming is a mental and not a physical activity (well obviously apart from watching a screen and controlling a keyboard-mouse). To me it sounds like an advanced Wii though then on "real life" rather than the screen. Was that a hit? I never really enjoyed the little I played with it.

I do like the sound of the "assisted reality" though for non-gaming applications way in the future. Though I have concerns on the safety of it if lots of people become so immersed in the new "virtual world" and fail to take enough notice of the "real" one and its dangers.

10+ Year Old Account

Pokemon GO have been out for about 10 days. Let's pull the breaks a bit on declaring it to not be a fad just yet.

it's more of a gimmick...like the wii controllers - fun in the beginning, get's tedious and annoying pretty fast though. i already turned it off after the first day. personally i'd rather have VR wow, being in onyxia's lair, than having to move around my phone to see her in some park

After the initial hype has died down we'll see the longevity of it. I have a feeling a 6 months/12 months time it won't be anywhere near as popular.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

No, I don't think so. This is just a hype like tamagotchi, there are many better AR out there for years that did not catch any attention. It's just that brand name and that the current tech savvy generation is grown up with it, but I assume it will disappear just as quickly as it surfaced after a few months on the popularity wave.

Deleted
    But I think there is no DOUBT AR is the future, think of a COP pulling people over and camera over the vehicle and camera over the driver, BOOM his glasses has complete owner and vehicle history, think of a freshmen in college first day he is lost turn on his app and he gets a route mapped out of what class to go to and when and where, teachers email and all their classes, I call this technology Enhanced reality or assisted reality, because our brains will need help processing the more technological world and this new tool, new tech will just enhance and make us smarter and more efficient.
    Sounds more like making people dumber and easier to influence and monitor to me. Think 24/7 surveillance plus non-stop advertising/tracking with "helpful" guidance.

AR certainly has its uses but I do hope it doesn't become "the future" (youtube).

10+ Year Old Account
    Will AR be a big part of future technologies? Yes. Will Pokemon Go be the future of gaming? No, clearly not.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

I don't get the hype. Downloaded the game, tossed one of thoes silly balls, removed the game.
    Super boring.