Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempguy View Post
    It's a lost cause since apparently hollywood is allowed to do shit that would be illegal in any other business.
    It's not illegal in other business, you can shift profit around with your other companies.

Quote Originally Posted by AndaliteBandit View Post
    He's right.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-h...-rating-debuts

PG-13 rating wasn't a thing until July 01, 1984.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087332/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

And Ghostbusters came out June 8, 1984.
    There's conflicting information in that article. It states that in 1983 Red Dawn was the first PG-13 film released in theaters.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    It's not illegal in other business, you can shift profit around with your other companies.
    But doing it for the sole purpose of avoiding taxes and paying agreed upon royalties is kind of not legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    There's conflicting information in that article. It states that in 1983 Red Dawn was the first PG-13 film released in theaters.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087985/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

It wasn't released until August 10, 1984.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087985/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

It wasn't released until August 10, 1984.
    Then the History channel needs to get better editors. Also, that calls into question the IMDB link to Outsiders. Were some ratings changed retroactively?

Then the History channel needs to get better editors. Also, that calls into question the IMDB link to Outsiders. Were some ratings changed retroactively?
    Fair enough.

And yes, for The Outsiders. The film was re-rated by the MPAA as PG-13 for "violence, teen drinking and smoking, and some sexual references."

What is the comedic value of a queef joke?

How about poorly executed jokes?

Making herpy derpy noises like it's funny?

What about the fact that people don't act this way?

And let's not even start on the fact that they wield the proton packs in ways that suggest a lot more training than a bunch of bumbling clowns could manage. At least in the original, the bumbling nature carried over into accidental destruction all over the place.
    You're not to think you are anything special. You're not to think you are as good as we are. You're not to think you are smarter than we are. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are. You're not to think you know more than we do. You're not to think you are more important than we are. You're not to think you are good at anything. You're not to laugh at us. You're not to think anyone cares about you. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempguy View Post
    But doing it for the sole purpose of avoiding taxes and paying agreed upon royalties is kind of not legal.
    Well the money gets taxed in whatever company they moved it to. As an accountant we do this all the time with companies. In Canada real estate income is taxed at a higher corporate tax rate if it is deemed investment income. Pay out some management fees, advertising fees or whatever service your other companies provide to eliminate some of that profit. The royalties thing is shady but not strictly illegal.
    Last edited by Jotaux; 2016-07-18 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GrinningMan View Post
    What is the comedic value of a queef joke?
    Depends on the joke, adults and kids alike tend to get a kick out of the fart joke in Finding Nemo.

Depends on the joke, adults and kids alike tend to get a kick out of the fart joke in Finding Nemo.
    I guess the real question is what is the comedic value of a queef joke over a fart joke when your audience isn't necessarily going to be all women?

I guess the real question is what is the comedic value of a queef joke over a fart joke when your audience isn't necessarily going to be all women?
    Queef jokes can have an underlying sexual implication, which makes it lewd. I haven't seen the joke in question, so I can't judge it in particular, but most of the talk of queefs I hear from women involve sex.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Queef jokes can have an underlying sexual implication, which makes it lewd. I haven't seen the joke in question, so I can't judge it in particular, but most of the talk of queefs I hear from women involve sex.
    From what I've gathered of the context (not going to pay money to see this movie) it's not sexual, or not likely to be.

I'm not sure if you can objectively measure something subjective like that, but go ahead and try to if you want, I guess.

From what I've gathered of the context (not going to pay money to see this movie) it's not sexual, or not likely to be.
    Nope, just a random queef and a 'HURRHURRHURR THAT WAS A FART BUT FROM THE FRONT IS FUNNY YES IS FUNNY?'.

It tried to +1 a fart joke.
    You're not to think you are anything special. You're not to think you are as good as we are. You're not to think you are smarter than we are. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are. You're not to think you know more than we do. You're not to think you are more important than we are. You're not to think you are good at anything. You're not to laugh at us. You're not to think anyone cares about you. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ateup View Post
    I don't see that the original theme song needs to be remade at all. Chances are any new song is not going to have the same popularity as the original so why even bother to duplicate it? That seems to be one of the major gripes with this new movie. That they are just ripping from the old and not doing anything original.
    And that is why it is a horrible flop... bad jokes, poor taste racist comments, slapstick humor overdone.. basically Ghostbusters dumbed down to an autistic 4 year olds humor level.

I'm not sure if you can objectively measure something subjective like that, but go ahead and try to if you want, I guess.
    Well, I mean, the main question is what's the difference? Queefs normally happen during sex, but from what I've gathered that's not the case with this one. So why is a vaginal fart funnier than a regular fart? I don't really see the difference in that sort of context.

Well, I mean, the main question is what's the difference? Queefs normally happen during sex, but from what I've gathered that's not the case with this one. So why is a vaginal fart funnier than a regular fart? I don't really see the difference in that sort of context.
    Personally, I would not find a queef joke to be any more or less funny than a fart joke, so I'm with you. I don't see the difference either.

People seem to be forgetting that, in addition to the 160 million budget, Ghostbusters also undoubtedly spent a metric shitload on adverts. They're everywhere. They're going to need to make a lot more than $200 mil to break even.
    I don't really care if the movie makes profit or loses or whatnot, but I do find it humorous that they can claim it "meets expectations" that they never really said publicly beforehand. I'm sure there's all sorts of ways they shuffle money around, and of course it's up for grabs where the money went in the tie-ins like Progressive Insurance ads or Papa Johns or whatever.

It's just like the claim that the success of this movie would be good since it'd lead to more movies, but I don't really want the success of this movie reinforcing that they should release more of the same thing. The Industry thinks like the fans sometimes, shifting blame or underperformance to other motives rather than upping their game.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    I don't really care if the movie makes profit or loses or whatnot, but I do find it humorous that they can claim it "meets expectations" that they never really said publicly beforehand. I'm sure there's all sorts of ways they shuffle money around, and of course it's up for grabs where the money went in the tie-ins like Progressive Insurance ads or Papa Johns or whatever.

It's just like the claim that the success of this movie would be good since it'd lead to more movies, but I don't really want the success of this movie reinforcing that they should release more of the same thing. The Industry thinks like the fans sometimes, shifting blame or underperformance to other motives rather than upping their game.
    There's also the point that the "expectations" are really, really goddamn low for what's clearly supposed to be a "summer blockbuster" type movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    I wonder if they're getting a cut from sales of that ectoplasm slushie being sold at theaters that I saw a bunch of kids getting even before the movie came out. Which sounds kinda gross, honestly.

Don't bother getting the ghostbusters twinkies either. I thought white chocolate twinkies would be amazing, but somehow they managed to make those suck.