Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Star Trek this week. Good or bad will be the death knell for Ghostbusters.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    There's also the point that the "expectations" are really, really goddamn low for what's clearly supposed to be a "summer blockbuster" type movie.
    Independence Day 2 pulled in about 41m in its opening weekend, and that's a straight up "summer blockbuster." As someone said earlier, it's a shitty summer for movies. It should be noted that the movie had a similar budget as well, at about 166m, and overall made 337 in its run, including international money, and is considered a flop. 72m of that final number was in China, which GB won't be showed in, which almost rivaled its domestic run at 98m.

TMNT 2, similar story: 35m opening weekend, 231m overall including internationals. Budget of about 135m.

Ghostbusters can be a "successful summer movie" of this year without really doing much of note.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Independence Day 2 pulled in about 41m in its opening weekend, and that's a straight up "summer blockbuster." As someone said earlier, it's a shitty summer for movies. It should be noted that the movie had a similar budget as well, at about 166m, and overall made 337 in its run, including international money, and is considered a flop. 72m of that final number was in China, which GB won't be showed in, which almost rivaled its domestic run at 98m.

TMNT 2, similar story: 35m opening weekend, 231m overall including internationals. Budget of about 135m.

Ghostbusters can be a "successful summer movie" of this year without really doing much of note.
    I don't know. ID2 and TMNT 2 both had huge problems that the fanbase of their originals pointed out. I'll wait until we see the openings of ST:Beyond and Bourne before I declare it something to do with moviegoers this summer rather than the fact that the "blockbusters" this summer have just sucked.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

I don't know. ID2 and TMNT 2 both had huge problems that the fanbase of their originals pointed out. I'll wait until we see the openings of ST:Beyond and Bourne before I declare it something to do with moviegoers this summer rather than the fact that the "blockbusters" this summer have just sucked.
    Independence Day's biggest problem was probably that it didn't have Will Smith in it, not to mention that it never explained why. No one read the novels.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    It's the biggest financial opening, but it's his lowest opening in terms of profit.

With the tyipcal 50% 2nd weekend drop off plus Star Trek coming out, then Bourne, then Suicide Squad, it will remain to be seen what the reboot does in terms of box office vs budget.
    I would expect a 60% drop if not more if for no other reason than Star Trek and a new Ice Age movie come out next weekend, and both are likely to strip away a lot of potential viewers for Ghostbusters no matter how good or bad this unneeded movie is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AndaliteBandit View Post
    Independence Day's biggest problem was probably that it didn't have Will Smith in it, not to mention that it never explained why. No one read the novels.
    I didn't know there were novels for it let alone read them yet my understanding from seeing the movie was that he died 10 years earlier in a flight test of some sort. Then again I actually liked the movie for what it is, and maybe paid closer attention? Personally, I think that movie should have done better than it did, but my taste in movies is pretty varied and often in opposition to the rest of the viewing public so maybe Ghostbusters has a shot given my very negative view of the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Ateup View Post
    Star Trek this week. Good or bad will be the death knell for Ghostbusters.
    The death knell for the shit fest of Ghostbusters is word of mouth.

Every credible review has said it's atrocious.

As someone said earlier, it's a shitty summer for movies.
    It's not something that can be hand-waved away by blaming it on a 'bad summer.' This is the time of year when movies have the biggest advantage to perform at their best. The fact of the matter is these bad movies are having a harder time getting people in seats especially with how expensive it has become to visit the cinema.

How much hype was there for TMNT2? Zero. How much hype for ID2? Zero. How much hype for Ghostbusters? Zero. The only reason people had even been talking about this movie was because the trailers made it look like an absolute train wreck.

Define successful. The reality is that this is a tent pole reboot of a beloved franchise intended to get people excited. Sony set-up Ghost Corps. It's own dedicated production company to expand the Ghostbusters IP. This movie should have easily cleared 100 million opening weekend. It couldn't even hit #1 with negligible competition. It should be doing 300 million gross bare minimum. I won't be surprised if it fails to reach that.

I saw one ( maybe 2 films this year)

I will have my ass in the seat for Star Trek, Bourne, and auicide squad. I regret not supporting deadpool, but I was catching up on bills.

I think people are just sick of shit remakes/reboots. That time is over. Hollywood sucked that bitch dry and there is no more good will left for that front.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure on Rogue Ones release. But I'm seeing that too.

But I'll be damned if I "give ninja turtles a chance". I'm not made of cash. Let others support that tripe.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempguy View Post
    I think people are just sick of shit remakes/reboots. That time is over. Hollywood sucked that bitch dry and there is no more good will left for that front.
    I dunno, I can't wait for the new Power Rangers movie. They even talked Bryan Cranston into being in it.

For me, the idea is that GB hit "expectations", not whether it's profitable overall. ID2 or TMNT 2, I never heard them justify their $'s by saying that's what they expected. Maybe they did though, not like I go everywhere on the internet.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

YOu think Star Trek fans think the new Star Trek is going to be good after Into Darkness?

I think Bourne and Suicide Squad will be the ones to watch in re: whether it's fanbases having legitimate gripes and boycotting, or whether there's just generally nothing inspired. Even Bourne is a sequel, and Suicide Squad is the second movie in the attempt at the DCCU.

Quote Originally Posted by AndaliteBandit View Post
    I dunno, I can't wait for the new Power Rangers movie. They even talked Bryan Cranston into being in it.
    Okay, that is different. If it is a darker more adult Power Ranger geared to people who were kids the first season, it may be legendary.

It scored a 73% on Rotten Tomatoes. (https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...recard-2016/4/) and beating out Bryan Cranston's new movie The Infiltrator in terms of rating. It beat studio expectations and will probably do well enough for a sequel.

I enjoyed Ghostbusters and everyone in the theater seemed to enjoy it as well and I thought it was well done. I'm sorry some of you people are just haters and couldn't let yourself enjoy the movie.

Your loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anevers View Post
    It scored a 73% on Rotten Tomatoes.
    All critics:
    73%
    Average Rating: 6.5/10
    Reviews Counted: 239
    Fresh: 174
    Rotten: 65

Top critics:
    58%
    Average Rating: 6.3/10
    Reviews Counted: 48
    Fresh: 28
    Rotten: 20

Audience score:
    57%
    Average Rating: 3.1/5
    User Ratings: 85,457

Imdb:
    5.2/10 with 36684 votes

Metacritic:
    60 metascore
    Mixed or average reviewsbased on 52 Critics
    2.5 user score
    Generally unfavorable reviews
    based on 890 Ratings

Based on the popular opinion, it's around a 5-6/10 movie, at most. Doesn't really make any difference what so-called "critics" say. Trust your own opinion first, the popular opinion second, and "critics'" opinions never.

Quote Originally Posted by Anevers View Post
    It scored a 73% on Rotten Tomatoes. (https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...recard-2016/4/) and beating out Bryan Cranston's new movie The Infiltrator in terms of rating. It beat studio expectations and will probably do well enough for a sequel.

I enjoyed Ghostbusters and everyone in the theater seemed to enjoy it as well and I thought it was well done. I'm sorry some of you people are just haters and couldn't let yourself enjoy the movie.

Your loss.
    If it does well then great. I like Kristin Wiig so her success makes me smile.

However, Expectations were low. Don't try and make hitting a low ass bar seem like an accomplishment. Ghostbusters isn't some low budget unknown franchise.

ghostbusters may not be an unknown franchise but it is a franchise that hasnt had any major brand recognition in about 20 years outside of the video game, which was like 10 years ago.

kids today have never seen or heard about ghostbusters. even if it were ghostbusters 3 it wouldve been a tough sell over life of pets.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Redlettermedia review:

Ouch.

10+ Year Old Account
    someone on my wavelength.

I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Yes, yes, yes, a million times yes. The only thing I disagree with her on that video is that the four main actors in the movie are funny or great actors, but other than that, she nailed it.

I imagin this have already been posted, but here it is again if you missed it :