RoW for VR build with piston or orb of voidsight.
    Voidsight/piston (I prefer voidsight since piston gives little stat gain to make a difference in stacks) and Sandman's for StM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aoewy View Post
    I've been wondering, and sorry if it has been said (might have missed it), but which trinkets you guys plan to use for pre-patch content? I have 4 mythics one : RoW with socket, DSI, Warforged Piston, Gaze of Sethe. Was thinking Piston for the haste and crit maybe, not sure if RoW with socket will work without CoP.. what you guys think?
    Mythic trinkets are heavily nerfed in prepatch and are just the same in effect as heroic/normal ones. So, since ilvl is a lie, there is a much wider selection, including Sandman's poach (good for AS) and heirloom trinket.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Ok thank you both, i hope i kept my sandmans one... if not, even the 640 one will do the job you think? Might be able to get one on ah

Quote Originally Posted by Aoewy View Post
    Ok thank you both, i hope i kept my sandmans one... if not, even the 640 one will do the job you think? Might be able to get one on ah
    You should buy and upgrade it before prepatch, while everything is cheap as dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by davesignal View Post
    The good shadow priests will do a very basic effort-to-reward calculation and realize they can do more damage for less effort with a different spec. The people who are left will be the diehards who play the class because they have some inherent attraction to it and not enough sense to play a mage, who don't care if they're shit because they want to be a purple ghost.

Generally this causes the quality of play to go down, not up.
    Well, such thinking is exactly what made me boost a mage just in case, but the issue is that I highly prefer playing the spriest (as do many other) as opposed to mage or warlock for example.....For me the swap to mage will happen if, and only if, spriest turns out to be so bad as to do 70% or less or less of a mage.

At that point I think you'll be better just going voidsight and piston

Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    You should buy and upgrade it before prepatch, while everything is cheap as dirt.

Good point. Ill check when ill get home, thank you

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryeshot View Post
    Shadow with legacy does the same as other dps (except maybe assassination because overtuned), and with StM does well above everyone else if played properly. But that's the thing, StM will be the defining trait of shadow priests, but few will ever try to learn it so they see only average numbers at 120% effort of other classes, and quickly leave the spec.
    You think that stm played properly will put priests on top of the dps chart? So basically top 10 guilds will have the spriest as main dps in their kills?

Quote Originally Posted by rinelki View Post
    You think that stm played properly will put priests on top of the dps chart? So basically top 10 guilds will have the spriest as main dps in their kills?
    Well, currently on beta it doesn't, and 1/3 of dps specs show better results than us with stm, while not having to die, horribly.

Main damage on priority targets, it sucks with cleaving because you waste globals on SW:P and VT pathetic insanity generation. But yes, proper StM usage will make shadow the highest damage on a single boss target.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, currently on beta it doesn't, and 1/3 of dps specs show better results than us with stm, while not having to die, horribly.
    Not sure what results you are looking at. If StM is performing poorly, it is because there is a lack of fight knowledge so people don't know how to deal with mechanics as they come, or StM isn't second nature to them yet. This will change in time with player and fight experience. Half the people using StM don't even know the proper usage of their insanity generators and insanity stoppers. Please do not think beta performance is indicative of legion spriest performance for StM.

Not sure what results you are looking at. If StM is performing poorly, it is because there is a lack of fight knowledge so people don't know how to deal with mechanics as they come, or StM isn't second nature to them yet. This will change in time with player and fight experience. Half the people using StM don't even know the proper usage of their insanity generators and insanity stoppers. Please do not think beta performance is indicative of legion spriest performance for StM.
    But that's just plain absurd! If we get low performance on tests, its "because people have lack of knowledge"? Well guess what, that works for everyone, doesn't it? Everyone don't know the fight, and when they will memorise fight, everyone will become better.

Deleted
    Main damage on priority targets, it sucks with cleaving because you waste globals on SW:P and VT pathetic insanity generation. But yes, proper StM usage will make shadow the highest damage on a single boss target.
    I dont understand... you say priority targets and then single boss... priority targets to me are adds to be killed asap... and single boss has no adds. I'm confused.

Low performance for StM = death.
    Low performance for all other dps = small dps reduction

The margin of error is much small, but the reward is worth it.

???

A third of the DPS specs do better than shadow without StM? Please stop pulling random stats like that out of your arse because it's not true. At all. Shadow without StM is amongst the highest performing specs in raids. It's hard to predict just how much of a boost StM gives you over the course of a fight because it depends on fight length and the type of fight, but it's not an exaggeration when I say that shadow is possibly the best, at the very least the best caster, at the moment. Why are you trying so hard to scare people that show interest in shadow, with misinformation no less?

Deleted
    Low performance for StM = death.
    Low performance for all other dps = small dps reduction

The margin of error is much small, but the reward is worth it.
    So theres a way not to die while using StM? You mean kill the boss before you exit voidform?

If you don't want it don't play it. But please, do not exaggerate shadow's performance in raid for the sake of showing your distaste toward the spec. Shadow with legacy does the same as other dps (except maybe assassination because overtuned), and with StM does well above everyone else if played properly. But that's the thing, StM will be the defining trait of shadow priests, but few will ever try to learn it so they see only average numbers at 120% effort of other classes, and quickly leave the spec.
    I've been playing this class since the middle of Wrath of the Lich King, many other people for much longer. You must understand how now having it pulled out from under, while little shits sneer and go "Maybe try rolling something else?" leaves a bad taste in many people's mouth.

I dont understand... you say priority targets and then single boss... priority targets to me are adds to be killed asap... and single boss has no adds. I'm confused.
    Priests using StM will do highest damage on a boss over the whole fight, and if they time their dots properly, they can be highest damage on single priority adds up to ~120 stacks. At that point any gc/ds that are not large insanity generators (like dots) will kill you, so they must remain on one target for the rest of the fight.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by davesignal View Post
    I've been playing this class since the middle of Wrath of the Lich King, many other people for much longer. You must understand how now having it pulled out from under, while little shits sneer and go "Maybe try rolling something else?" leaves a bad taste in many people's mouth.
    I don't consider myself little...
    I understand your guys' frustration but the new shadow playstyle has been known since alpha. Any grievances uttered now are just unwarranted except for the purpose of complaining. With pre-patch tomorrow and people struggling to figure out how to play the new spec, the last thing needed in these forums is negative feedback toward people who don't have access to the beta. They need help with gameplay, talents, and stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Isentropy View Post
    ???

A third of the DPS specs do better than shadow without StM? Please stop pulling random stats like that out of your arse because it's not true. At all. Shadow without StM is amongst the highest performing specs in raids. It's hard to predict just how much of a boost StM gives you over the course of a fight because it depends on fight length and the type of fight, but it's not an exaggeration when I say that shadow is possibly the best, at the very least the best caster, at the moment. Why are you trying so hard to scare people that show interest in shadow, with misinformation no less?
    After reading a bunch of negativity this is a refreshing comment to see.

Deleted
    I do have to laugh a little at the things I'm reading.
    "Shadow priest is shit, does no damage compared to mages lol"
    "StM is the worst thing I've ever seen LUL, playstyle is SHIT"
    "SHADOW PRIEST IS SHIT LAWL WHO ELSE HATES THIS PLAYSTYLE? LIKE IF YOU AGREE!"

I bet 99% of the people posting that have:

-Not played on Beta to see how insane Shadow Priest DPS is
    -Not looked at any logs to see how insane Shadow Priest DPS is
    -Not even played Spriest on live, to compare it to Legion and see how insane Shadow Priest DPS is
    -have an Arcane Mage that they regularly play, but will begin flaming the Mage Forums once Legion launches because Arcane isn't the best spec anymore

Seriously you guys. Some people here put no thought-process into the things they write, and just type something for the heck of it.
    If you have no constructive feedback to give concerning the Shadow Priest, than I believe this thread is not for you, and you should save the rest of us time by just not posting it's easily ignorable if it's just 1 person talking redundant crap, but when people begin reading that and AGREEING (even though there is 0 evidence for their claims), then I begin to question your state of mind, respectfully.

So theres a way not to die while using StM? You mean kill the boss before you exit voidform?
    Correct, you need to time your StM so that you die either right when the boss dies or right before to have maximum benefit.