Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Oh so 300 years ago that means it was easily possible 4.5k years ago? Most of these sites i linked in the OP are now believed to be MUCH older than the pyramids btw, talking 10-15k years old..
    Yes. Because it uses basic principles that could have easily been done 4.5k years ago. Time doesn't change basic principles of moving and lifting.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    The Parthenon was intact for about 2,000 years before it got blown up.

And the Pyramids are not intact either, they used to have a coating on them.
    Glad you brought that up, compare the parthenon to the pyramids which held up better (and which happens to be 2.5k years older or more). So people were smarter 2.5k years prior? Both were built as symbols of their cultures (as you read in textbooks).

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    The Pyramids are pretty crap when it comes to practicality though, all those materials with such a limited usable space.
    They weren't designed to be practical, they were designed by people who wanted impractical... and didn't care what it would cost.

Ok, so how did people 4.5k years ago know that a pyramid would stand up that well to the years? Did you ever consider that?
    I don't see how such knowledge would be necessary to build it.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

7+ Year Old Account
    I have to, everyone here thinks that the pyramids were built with ropes and logs.
    no, the pyramids were built with ropes, logs , maths and for the 10th time with lots LOTS of manpower

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, so how did people 4.5k years ago know that a pyramid would stand up that well to the years? Did you ever consider that?
    Not everything survived as they had hoped...

'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
    Nothing beside remains.

Deleted
    Are you serious? What have we built in even the past 2000 years that is still standing?

Of course this is around 5,000 years old and taken from a quarry about 140 miles away from the site....

I have to, everyone here thinks that the pyramids were built with ropes and logs.
    How do you think they were built?

I'm assuming you won't actually answer, which means a logical person would side with those who have offered proof. You've offered nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    I don't see how such knowledge would be necessary to build it.
    So you would have known 4.5k years ago that a pyramid shape is what you need to build to stand the test of time, its just native to our senses?

I found this vid pretty informative on this stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    That, and you can get fairly amazing things done with a large body of unpaid conscript labor.

Exactly how difficult is it to pile some stones into a pyramid if you have the GDP of an entire country behind the project?
    Although I'm sure slaves played a great part in the construction of things like the pyramids, we have discovered that there was a great deal of paid craftsmanship also involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    How do you think they were built?

I'm assuming you won't actually answer, which means a logical person would side with those who have offered proof. You've offered nothing.
    I dont KNOW that is the point of this thread, nor does history. It sure as hell wasnt built how the textbooks said they were.

Deleted
    Glad you brought that up, compare the parthenon to the pyramids which held up better (and which happens to be 2.5k years older or more). So people were smarter 2.5k years prior? Both were built as symbols of their cultures (as you read in textbooks).
    Don't remember anyone blowing up a pyramid during World War 2.

Deleted
    Trial and error, they build a loots of pyramids before they did find the classic pyramid shape, like step pyramid a pyramid that cracked, a skew pyramid....

15+ Year Old Account
    Different designs hold up better. A pyramid has less forces acting against it then a building with columns and the like. This is also why many older statues are missing limbs and other protrusions while the torso's and bases remain intact.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Deleted
    So you would have known 4.5k years ago that a pyramid shape is what you need to build to stand the test of time, its just native to our senses?
    In other news, artisan finds that stone doesn't change in his entire life. More at 11.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Parthenon was blown up, use enough explosives and you can blow up the Pyramids as well.

Way to conveniently ignore that the two structures aren't even remotely architecturally similar. They're entirely different in their design, materials, function, and location - all of which play a factor in their longevity. Also, no one stored munitions in a pyramid that exploded and seriously damaged the structure.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    Trial and error, they build a loots of pyramids before they did find the classic pyramid shape, like step pyramid a pyramid that cracked, a skew pyramid....
    Yep. Djoser Pyramid looks like crap nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    Ok sure, but how did they know THAT was the shape to build? We know now if you want something to stand the test of time a pyramid isnt a bad idea, but its not like that had thousands of years of testing like we do now.