Thread: Donation box

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Donation box

Howdy my fellow mmo-champs, mods, and admins!

I'd like to propose some kind of donation option to flag one's account for a no-ad experience.

I'm all about supporting the internet and supporting pages and I used to be okay with allowing advertisements on mmo-champion, however they've become unbearable. Just look at the computer forums and the suggestions & feedback forum here! It's out of control.

As an alternative, I would like to be able to donate to this wonderful website as a way to disable ads for my account, and allow others to do the same of course, and not feel like I'm not supporting one of my two most-used websites.

If this can't be done I'd be inclined to know why, as I feel like the donations could easily add up and dwarf the amount mmo-champ is paid for advertisement space and it would allow people to truly show their love and adoration for this site! Maybe there could be a monthly system or something, even.

Personally, I'd love to see the advertisements just be less problematic, but it seems like after so many years, this isn't going to see any massive change. Why not allow people to buy their way out of it?

Thanks for your time,

Deltrus
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

It could be done, but I'm not sure many people would use it or how we would price it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can understand that sentiment, though I feel like it might go well. People have a tendency for donating pretty liberally to things they like/love/believe in.

Do you think it might at least be worth a shot?

I've known of websites that had $5-15 options, usually on a monthly basis, that would remove ads as well as offering other perks.

Whether it be a neat little trophy or some kind of graphic next to your username, designating you a paying supporter, or some other kinds of perks. Maybe take away the 30 second forum response limit? Just throwing ideas out there. I don't personally want to advocate anything too exclusive, like a dedicated forum area for just paying members, as I like how this forum is 100% open for reading to anyone and everyone, but I think with the idea of supporting the site and not dealing with the ads, some people might bite. Maybe enough.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    It could be done, but I'm not sure many people would use it or how we would price it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I can understand that sentiment, though I feel like it might go well. People have a tendency for donating pretty liberally to things they like/love/believe in.

Do you think it might at least be worth a shot?

I've known of websites that had $5-15 options, usually on a monthly basis, that would remove ads as well as offering other perks.

Whether it be a neat little trophy or some kind of graphic next to your username, designating you a paying supporter, or some other kinds of perks. Maybe take away the 30 second forum response limit? Just throwing ideas out there. I don't personally want to advocate anything too exclusive, like a dedicated forum area for just paying members, as I like how this forum is 100% open for reading to anyone and everyone, but I think with the idea of supporting the site and not dealing with the ads, some people might bite. Maybe enough.
    Hmm, think I would pay 5 dollars for no advertisement, Chaud. Heh. And it goes to something I've been using for years.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaira View Post
    I would definately pay $5 a month to remove ads as when I try to browse on my phone I get spammed with virus warnings my battery is badly damaged yadeya, If you add this option I'm sure people who use their mobile specifically for browsing mmo-c wouldnt mind paying for the extra piece of mind.
    I mean a donation benefit with not showing ads does sound nice. I dunno if I'd personally do it but it's a nice option to have IMO.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Are we not supposed to mention adblock here?
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

this might just be semantics, but you can't call it a 'donation' and have it as an option. if you are explicitly paying to remove ads then that is a service and a payment. for it to be a donation they need to take the ads down for everyone and then expect said donations afterwards.

Chaud be like "I don't make Curse financial decisions; just tell me if the website breaks."

At least, I think it's Curse's call and maybe not specifically MMO's to implement something like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I for one would pay a monthly subscription to this site if it were $5 CAD or less per month to get rid of ads, or some other premium benefits. Not that I see ads now though, because you know, adblock.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Does Curse Premium not remove ads on this site?
    Nope. Nor is your Curse account connected to MMOC.

15+ Year Old Account
    How about a patron program where you could pay to remove infractions?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    Are we not supposed to mention adblock here?
    You can but the thread is more about being able to support the site without seeing ads. Adblock will remove the ads but it doesn't benefit MMO-Champ. Personally, I would not browse this website without adblock.

Yeah I always will and will always continue to use Adblock. I understand ads generate revenue, but unfortunately I'm complete fed up with how targeted and how many ads websites use. So... Sorry c:

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    We won't excuse bad behavior just because someone is willing to help fund the site.

10+ Year Old Account
    We won't excuse bad behavior just because someone is willing to help fund the site.
    I'm 100% with you on that question... bad behavior is bad behavior. Grow up, learn, move on.
    @Puupi, what you're suggesting is also considered bribery.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Hello, my name is Taftvalue and I approve of this.

To be honest, it would work. But seeing as how the Curse network still has ads that slow down a lot of browsers (experienced this in Chrome, Edge, Opera and Firefox), and there are still a lot of complaints about this, without anything being done with it. (Do note, that most ad networks that sites work with allow you to blacklist certain ads) I do not expect that this will be done.

Still amazed how slow this site gets on any form of mobile device sometimes.

Ah but there is really no downfall in bad behavior. You just come back and do it all over again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raamul View Post
    I hate to use adblocker on website that i like, but ads are very irritating. I am sorry MMO-C.
    Well, for me it comes down to the ones randomly appearing with sound, or gif-ads. I don't mine the generic, not moving ones.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Well, for me it comes down to the ones randomly appearing with sound, or gif-ads. I don't mine the generic, not moving ones.
    Yeah, if all the ads were controlled like this, I wouldn't be using AdBlock/suggesting a donation box. If anything, maybe they could just beta test it? See if people use it or not and then go forward...
    "A flower.