Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pharah indentifying as a harrier jet with VTOL, clearly.
    I may not agree with what you say but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.

Bastion and Torbjorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Well of course not, but if she was married to a woman, would it have been ignored the same?
    Yes.

Well, rule34 would have some confirmation about 90% of Widowmaker's pictures, but that's about it.

Why would homo/bisexuality be a bigger deal than heterosexuality?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Yes.

Well, rule34 would have some confirmation about 90% of Widowmaker's pictures, but that's about it.

Why would homo/bisexuality be a bigger deal than heterosexuality?
    It shouldn't, but there seem to be a lot of people in this thread who don't want sexuality in their computer game. Fact is, it's already there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    It shouldn't, but there seem to be a lot of people in this thread who don't want sexuality in their computer game. Fact is, it's already there.
    No, and that is what some of you fail to comprehend adding sexuality when it's not warranted is pointless. If it's part of the character's story sure, by all means it's important then.
    Otherwise it feels like it's irrelevant and too much information. It's like if I added something really personal when introducing myself to a stranger when they didn't ask. I haven't seen anyone say they have issues with the characters being gay, the issue is why are you telling us they are gay when we don't need to know.

the amount of fan fiction surounding OW is disturbing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    No, and that is what some of you fail to comprehend adding sexuality when it's not warranted is pointless. If it's part of the character's story sure, by all means it's important then.
    Otherwise it feels like it's irrelevant and too much information. It's like if I added something really personal when introducing myself to a stranger when they didn't ask. I haven't seen anyone say they have issues with the characters being gay, the issue is why are you telling us they are gay when we don't need to know.
    Well I think that's how you're going to find out, through their stories. It won't be a matter of Blizz publishing a list, or inserting character lines where they awkwardly come out to you in the spawn room.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Well I think that's how you're going to find out, through their stories. It won't be a matter of Blizz publishing a list, or inserting character lines where they awkwardly come out to you in the spawn room.
    Again, you are missing my point. Say they make a new character and they are explaining his past like he was a secret service agent who failed to save the president from a assassin or something and then spent years tracking down said assassin. Now, he is seeking to uphold justice and that is why he fights. Oh and btw he is totally gay. See how it doesn't add anything and it's just making a character gay for no reason?

Again, you are missing my point. Say they make a new character and they are explaining his past like he was a secret service agent who failed to save the president from a assassin or something and then spent years tracking down said assassin. Now, he is seeking to uphold justice and that is why he fights. Oh and btw he is totally gay. See how it doesn't add anything and it's just making a character gay for no reason?
    What if he had a crush on the president? The Internet must know!

10+ Year Old Account
    See how it doesn't add anything and it's just making a character gay for no reason?
    Your example would be ridiculously out of place regardless of the character's sexual orientation. It'd be out of place for any character trait, really.

"oh btw this guy is totally not gay"

"oh btw this dude curses like a sailor when he gets nervous"

"oh btw this dude is afraid of old people because they smell like death"

There are more sophisticated ways to weave a narrative and to introduce your audience to new and interesting elements of a character. You just have to think for more than two seconds.
    Last edited by Magicalcrab; 2016-07-19 at 09:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What if he had a crush on the president? The Internet must know!
    To be spending years on tracking him down, I think it was more than a crush.

There are 22 Heroes now, all with their own stories and for some their inter-personal relations will be important, there will be romantic interests, families, and loved ones. Not all need them of course. I'm kind of against the whole 'give Elsa a girlfriend thing' because I don't think she needs defining by her relationship status, she's better off single as her independence is important. But that doesn't mean that should always apply to every character ever. So I am with you on the token gay for the sake of it thing; but in this case the cast is certainly more than big enough that there's no reason why not to have such Heroes.

All that said, it'd be fucking hilarious to see all the whiners refusing to play 76 or Reaper because they're gay and they don't want people to think they themselves are.

Quote Originally Posted by Magicalcrab View Post
    You just have to think for more than two seconds.
    ...and realize these characters don't have normal lives where sexuality would be remotely relevant. Their dreams and hopes are about saving/destroying the world, not about marriage and kids.

They're superheroes and supervillains with magic technology who fight for random objectives. Their backstories are there to build the world around them, not the world inside them.

For one, they can't be in a relationship with any other playable character because chances are they're going to be murdering each other in the game, which means only characters from outside the game are potential love interests, which makes them and their relationship are irrelevant, which means Blizzard shouldn't waste time writing about Tracer's girlfriend when they could be writing about the Omnic Crisis, Talon or any other important story element that may actually benefit the game eventually.

10+ Year Old Account
    ...and realize these characters don't have normal lives where sexuality would be remotely relevant. Their dreams and hopes are about saving/destroying the world, not about marriage and kids.

They're superheroes and supervillains with magic technology who fight for random objectives. Their backstories are there to build the world around them, not the world inside them.

For one, they can't be in a relationship with any other playable character because chances are they're going to be murdering each other in the game, which means only characters from outside the game are potential love interests, which makes them and their relationship are irrelevant, which means Blizzard shouldn't waste time writing about Tracer's girlfriend when they could be writing about the Omnic Crisis, Talon or any other important story element that may actually benefit the game eventually.
    They're not super-heroes though, and that's kind of the point. Widowmaker very much did have a normal life with a Husband - she wasn't Overwatch, and she wasn't Talon, she was just a civilian - and Ana had a kid. They're technologically, cybernetically or genetically enhanced, but otherwise generally 'normal' and have lives away from Overwatch. Sure, 76 is a street mercenary, and that's fine. But shit, even Winston, a Gorilla from the Moon misses his father figure, and Bastion and Zenyetta have their own connections to nature and conciousness respectively, so there's clearly a lot more to them than being killing machines - the former being supposedly literally that.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a very narrow scope of what kind of stories you can tell with these characters. Even if that were the case, sexuality is not exclusively about settling down in a stable relationship. In a setting of heroes and villains and train robberies and terrorism, a character's sexuality can certainly still affect how they view the world around them. It can influence how they feel about the Omnic Crisis and human/robot rights, their decision-making process under pressure, or it can even make them vulnerable (or resistant) to seduction or manipulation or whatever-have-you.

That's me thinking for two seconds, and I'm awful at creative ideas. Sexuality is just another tool in a talented writer's toolbox, and its uses are pretty broad and relative. My crab-based friend on the previous page put it quite nicely:

Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    Sexuality informs a character's personality as much or as little as their nationality, occupation, religion, social class, favourite hobby, or any other lifestyle factor does. It is one of many defining factors in what makes a person who they are. Some of these things are all but irrelevant to certain characters, while for some they are absolutely critical. Entire stories have been written about every one of these specific areas of life, because they all contain the potential to create compelling narratives and drama.

To dismiss any one of these things as trivial or pointless to explore in fiction is just silly. All that does is limit artistic expression and the breadth of the stories we tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Magicalcrab View Post
    That's a very narrow scope of what kind of stories you can tell with these characters. Even if that were the case, sexuality is not exclusively about settling down in a stable relationship. In a setting of heroes and villains and train robberies and terrorism, a character's sexuality can certainly still affect how they view the world around them. It can influence how they feel about the Omnic Crisis and human/robot rights, their decision-making process under pressure, or it can even make them vulnerable (or resistant) to seduction or manipulation or whatever-have-you.

That's me thinking for two seconds, and I'm awful at creative ideas. Sexuality is just another tool in a talented writer's toolbox, and its uses are pretty broad and relative. My crab-based friend on the previous page put it quite nicely:
    You people with your story telling. Did Counter Strike need a story? Oh gawd, what will we do without defining the sexuality of our FPS characters *horror face*

You people want sex in your characters because you're incapable of getting it yourself #burn

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDestinatus View Post
    You people with your story telling. Did Counter Strike need a story? Oh gawd, what will we do without defining the sexuality of our FPS characters *horror face*

You people want sex in your characters because you're incapable of getting it yourself #burn
    Overwatch had stories, comics and videos before it was released. #applywatertoburn

Overwatch had stories, comics and videos before it was released. #applywatertoburn
    Yeah, stories about them being heroes not about them having sex. This thread smells of desperation for validity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDestinatus View Post
    Yeah, stories about them being heroes not about them having sex. This thread smells of desperation for validity.
    So Pharah was conceived miraculously? Widowmaker and Gerard's was purely a sexless marriage of convenience for reasons?

So Pharah was conceived miraculously? Widowmaker and Gerard's was purely a sexless marriage of convenience for reasons?
    Maybe? Would it matter if that was the case?

Why do you care? Are you going to send them a late wedding gift? Oh thats right, they aren't real people so its not necessary to apply the rules for living people to them. Ahh shit, I guess you'll just have play the game instead of pretend their fictional sexuality matters.